PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Wildshaping Smaller

Silus
2013-03-11, 07:17 PM
Ok, so I've got this druid character (Blight Druid, Decay Subdomain) and I just got the Large/Tiny Wildshape ability. Now, I've played a session where I shifted into elementals and a lion, but I was wondering if there was a way to get the most out of wildshaping into something Tiny sized creatures.

The first thing that jumps into my head is turning into something Tiny (Cat or raven or something), jumping in another player's pack, and start launching rays and ranged touch spells from the relative safety of a more tanky ally's space.

Edit: Is there a way to deliver a touch attack at a range? Like hitting an enemy with a Contagion from ten feet away or something?

Ellrin
2013-03-11, 08:12 PM
I'm assuming you already have natural spell, so just wildshape into a hawk.

Fly about launching spells with your newly awesome AC and battlefield maneuverability.

And grab reach spell to cast your touch spells at a range of close (or higher) for a level increase of +1 (or higher).

Boom!

For best results continue leveling up until you can wildshape into diminutive and wildshape into a thrush or bat or something.

Hide in the grass or a tree or behind your animal companion (with the bonus of grabbing total cover) and snipe.

Silus
2013-03-12, 04:12 AM
Well, Reach Spell sounds like something I ought to get then.

But I've no idea if I should pick up Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)(For disease spells), Planar Wildshape or Reach Spell at level 7 D=

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-12, 11:15 AM
Out of combat

Keep on the lookout go small hole in walls or structures. Your Druid is now effective at infiltrating any structure. Who is going to suspect that the mouse just unleashed the swarm of insects on the mansion?

Silus
2013-03-12, 12:27 PM
Out of combat

Keep on the lookout go small hole in walls or structures. Your Druid is now effective at infiltrating any structure. Who is going to suspect that the mouse just unleashed the swarm of insects on the mansion?

I was actually thinking something like that.

Hit level 8, sneak in as a mouse or something, hide in like the rafters or someplace out of reach, fire up the Aura of Decay (1d6 + cumulative -1 STR per round for 8 rounds) then follow up with a Summon Swarm once the Aura runs out.

Ellrin
2013-03-12, 12:42 PM
If we're just talking mechanics, I'd definitely say reach spell, with planar wildshape being a distant second. If you want to abuse your flight, size, and stealth to its full advantage, reach spell will really help you stay out of harm's way while raining spells down across the battlefield. If you can import some material from 3.5, I'd discuss grabbing deceptive spell from Cityscape (and maybe bumping it down to a +0 metamagic instead of +1, I never felt it was quite worth that) with your DM, as well. Freely walk around in wildshape casting reach spells that come from somewhere else. Nobody will think to check if it's actually the chihuahua.

For flavor, that depends on you. I don't personally think there's a ton of practical use in the druid necromancy spells, but if you've already taken SF (Necro), then maybe you get more appropriate opportunities than most, or you like the flavor of a druid who goes around afflicting people/things.

Silus
2013-03-12, 01:16 PM
For flavor, that depends on you. I don't personally think there's a ton of practical use in the druid necromancy spells, but if you've already taken SF (Necro), then maybe you get more appropriate opportunities than most, or you like the flavor of a druid who goes around afflicting people/things.

Well granted, I'm pretty useless against undead or constructs, but anything with a Fort save is gonna take some hurting. Pox Pustules gives Sickened for 1 round and -4 Dex for a minute for example, Contagion gives immediate ability damage on a failed save, and I can pick and choose what disease they get, Poison deals 1d3 Con Damage per round for 6 rounds. Throw in the Blight Druid's Miasma (Fort save or be sickened for 1 round (Sickened for 1 minute, nauseated for 1 round for animals, plants and fey) when next to the Druid, save gives immunity for 24 hours) and let the fun begin =D