PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Flashy Entertainer/Distraction, Bard or Sorceror?

VanIsleKnight
2013-03-11, 08:41 PM
Hi guys, I've had an idea in my mind for the past few months of a character to play for an urban adventure. He would be first level, with a 25 point buy for abilities and -probably- human although I'm considering gnome.

The idea behind him is that he's someone who was part of a gang, and his job was to distract people for mostly any situation. For instance, while they were being pickpocketed by a partner, or other gangmates are robbing a place and he has to get people to focus their attention on him, get guards to look one way while he and/or others go another way and do something else.

I was initially going with bard because that seemed like the obvious choice, but now I'm considering playing a Sorcerer instead because they can cast a bunch more spells, have bluff and intimidate as a class skill, I don't -really- want to engage in any melee combat, and if I want diplomacy there's a trait or feat for it I'm sure that I can grab.

I also don't really want to be a party buffer, and fascinate only offers a -4 penalty to perception checks which I think can honestly be better replaced by a sorcerer spell. Finally, I've been led to understand that bards are underpowered and really only useful to have as a 5th man, and we'll be a 4 man team, or possibly even just a 3 man team.

Thoughts? I haven't looked through all the archetypes and bloodlines so I'm not sure what path to go with.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that as implied by the title, he would be eventually be flashy and showy with his distractions (and I'm going to assume illusions), very vain, and would be the sort that prefers to not get his hands dirty with bloodshed. He'd excel at "tactical retreats" and will eventually become a person who comes up with escape plans and transport for his friends, mostly because he doesn't want to die or end up in jail. :)

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-11, 09:13 PM
Have a look at the celebrity or demagogue archetypes for Bard. They're all about your character stirring a big fuss.

Psyren
2013-03-11, 09:30 PM
Magicians are very flashy as well (think Mandrake) and big on the illusions. That Bard archetype also enhances your magical abilities, letting you do things like help your friends escape.

Unfortunately, Magician can't be combined with the ones Squirrel mentioned without DM assistance.

Dissonance
2013-03-11, 09:31 PM
Honestly, it's a preference to style of play and all. If you go with the bard you will have a more supporty role than a sorcerer, whose role normaly ends up boiling down to "kill it with fire".

My idea would be to stick with the bard. It literally gets a power that distracts everything within 30 ft. Perfect for your backstory. Furthermore bards are FAR from underpowered. You just need to know how to build them.

DPS? go with a bow. get archery feats AND you qualify for arcane strike. Take some of the sweet buffs you get and apply them to yourself.

Control? your a freaking bard, second in control department only to a wizard (which doesn't really count since wizards are cheap ass gods anyway). You get grease, glitterdust, and the other important ones.

tank? Admitedly this isn't exactly your strong suit. However I'm sure your music could count as an "aggro" of sorts since it buffs all your party members. Wear some armor and stick yourself on the frontline and suddenly monsters will be all too willing to take pot shots at you to end some pretty substanial buffs.

Skillmonkey? dude, your a freaking bard. you get bonuses to over 10 skills and can substitute a single score for two others. you DEFINE skillmonkey.

Every single role is enhanced when you start taking some of the archetypes available. More damage? get sandman and enjoy the sneak attack and the roguish bent. Spells? magician can poach spells off other lists (including the summoner list to grab haste as a second level spell) Tank? grab arcane duelist and suddenly you think your a magus. Skillmonkey already has all it needs.

VanIsleKnight
2013-03-11, 10:18 PM
Celebrity wouldn't work for the idea I have in mind, though I might be able to make Demagogue work, especially the abilities later on that happen. I have the feeling that the campaign could lean in the direction where my character could make very good use of large crowds of angry peasants and such.

Magician I'm leaning more towards, as I really do like the idea of having more spells to work with that I could make use of for utility purposes, and it's easier to work into my backstory and 'cover'.