PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight(3.5 D&D, base class, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-03-11, 09:40 PM
Ok, to start... this class ain't mine. I found it on a dead forum game, while looking through the house rules. I take no credit for it, but it was to great to leave in the crypt of a long dead game. I have no way to contact the author(or if he is even alive), so I can only hope he is ok with me reposting his work.

What follows is a direct quote edited version of a direct gquote from here here(at the bottom) (http://community.wizards.com/garics_city/go/post/reply/75741/18810361/Information_and_rules_%28your_introduction_to_the_ game%29?quote=343803041#post_input)

Table 1-1: The Black Knight... Hit Dice:d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Resilient to Fear, Born Warrior

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Signature Armor, Heart of Terror

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Dirty Fighting

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Punish: 1d6, All bleed the same

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Aura of Fear, Die Hard

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|"It gets worse"

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Improved Dirty Fighting

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Punish: 2d6, Vampiric Punishment 1/day

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Blackheart Armor, Fearsome Form 1/day

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|"And worse..."

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Mass Terror, Numbed to Fear

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Punish: 3d6, Vampiric Punishment 2/day

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Immunity to Fear, "Even worse..."

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Fear Aura 20 ft, Fearsome Form 2/day

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Punish: 4d6, Vampiric Punishment 3/day

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Nightmarish Endurance

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|"Time to flee"

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Punish: 5d6, Creature of Fear

[/table]

Class skills (2 + Int Modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis) and Swim (Str)

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Black Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor and shields, including tower shields.

Resilient to Fear: Black Knights begin their career, as all classes, slowly. They receive a +2 bonus on saves against Fear. At 11th level, you gain Numbed to Fear, which improves the bonus to +4. Finally, at 14th level, the Black Knight transcends the fear he inspires, becoming totally immune to fear.

Born Warrior: Black Knight levels count as Fighter levels for the purpose of feat requirements and/or benefits.

Signature Armor (Ex): At 2nd level, the Black Knight's armor darkens in hue, becoming completely black and granting them their namesake. It becomes weightless, increasing the max dex cap by half the character's Black Knight level (rounded down), up to a maximum of +8 and reduces armor check penalties by the same amount (down to +0, it can't bestow a bonus instead). If removed, the armor reverts to its original form.
At 9th level, this ability improves. Blackheart Armor transforms whatever armor you are wearing into Full Plate Mail and removing the associated reduction in speed. It also reverts to its original form if and when removed.
In either case, improving the armor through magical enhancement is at a higher cost: it counts as though it already has a +1 ability when determining price of enhancement.

Heart of Terror (Ex): Each time you hit with an attack, you may choose to make an Intimidate check in addition to dealing damage. This intimidate check may only be used on the one damaged.

Dirty Fighting: As Improved Feint, even if you don't meet the requirements. At 7th level, this ability improves.

Punish: You deal extra damage equal to what is indicated behind Punish in the table above to opponents who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. This improves every four levels after 4th.

All Bleed the Same (Ex): You no longer take a minus to Intimidate checks made against larger creatures. Intimidate works on creatures of size categories larger than you as if they were the same size category. Intimidate may also be used on a creature of any type, unless it specifically mentions that it is immune to fear.

Aura of Fear(Su): You gain a 5 ft radius Aura of Fear. Those who fail their Will Save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier) are left Shaken. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the radius of the aura are unaffected, although they will notice its effect in minor ways (chills, cold sweat, discomfort, etc). At level 15, this ability improves: you gain a 20 ft radius Aura of Fear.

Diehard: The Dark Knight gains Diehard as a bonus feat.

"It Gets Worse" (Ex): Once per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat.

Improved Dirty Fighting: You may make a Feint attack as a swift action. In addition, as part of a Full Attack Action, you may halve the bonus gained from Armor during your first attack.

Vampiric Punishment (Su): You may only use this ability on those who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. 1/day, you may gain hit points equal to the extra damage dealt when using the Punish Ability. This improves to 2/day at level 12 and 3/day at level 16.

Fearsome Form (Su): 1/day, you may take a Standard action to activate this ability. Your blackened armor shifts and curls, seemingly taking the form of what a person fears most. Each victim will see something different. It acts as a 30 ft burst with a Will Negates, DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier). If your opponent succeeds, he is merely shaken. If he fails, he is panicked. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the burst area are unaffected, although they will see the armour change as well, in a way corresponding to their own fears. You gain another use of this ability at level 15.

"And Worse..." (Ex): Twice per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of It Gets Worse.

Mass Terror (Ex): As Heart of Terror, save that you may now make an Intimidate check against all who witness the attack.

"Even Worse..." (Ex): Thrice per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of And Worse...

Nightmarish Endurance (Ex): You are closer now to becoming a living object of fear. You no longer fail on a roll of 1. You may still fail at attacks and saving throws if you do not meet the DC.

"Time to Flee" (Ex): Each time you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of Even Worse...

Creature of Fear (Ex): You have become a true exemplar of fear. You may use one of your daily uses of Vampiric Punishment as an Immediate action in response to dropping to or below -10 (Or in response to a save or die) to gain another turn (at your normal initiative). If, after that turn, you are still at or below -10 you still die. If used against Save or die effects, you may roll again. Further, you may now add half your class levels to your Intimidate checks.

The class seemed to be meant to function with some of the feats made for the game, but seems functional outside of it.

Looking through it, it seems solid... but a bit weak. It lacks immunity piercing which means its abilities are going to be often non functional. It only gets 2+int skill points, adding to the general lack of out of combat utility.

Would giving deciple of the blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120539) style initiating, but only for shadow hand and with the warblade maneuvers readied(and adaptive learning style recovery.) help?

Then boost the skills to like 8+int, with Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex) for skills?

Then make vampiric punishment a per encounter ability, and add mind effecting immunity piercing from level 4(the trick is the foe dosn't suffer anything past shaken if it would otherwise be immune).

edit: added cleaned up version.

Frathe
2013-03-11, 10:38 PM
Oh man. I thought this was Batman related. Not that this isn't good too. :smalltongue:

bobthe6th
2013-03-11, 10:42 PM
Oh man. I thought this was Batman related. Not that this isn't good too. :smalltongue:

What, a semi mundane fighter based on fear in black full plate? Isn't that everything about Batman besides the gadgets and detecting skills?

LordErebus12
2013-03-11, 10:44 PM
What, a semi mundane fighter based on fear in black full plate? Isn't that everything about Batman besides the gadgets and detecting skills?

makes a point.
im thinking it feels off from batman. i dont know if its the lack of batman flavour text or maybe the abilities need to be renamed or something.

bobthe6th
2013-03-11, 10:47 PM
makes a point, its the flavor, im thinking, it feels off from batman.

Well, as far as it is off batman, it does have its own flavor. One that beats batman at his best...

edit: so... any thoughts on the balance of the base class, or the sugested power boost?

Ziegander
2013-03-11, 11:53 PM
It's a fantasy-setting Batman, and it could be a good one if it were tweaked. Heh, you should get Grod in here to give it a few "minor tweaks." :smallwink:

bobthe6th
2013-03-11, 11:55 PM
I agree... which is why I dredged it up.

Any thoughts on the class? Any thoughts on the suggested tweaks?

Ziegander
2013-03-12, 12:03 AM
I agree... which is why I dredged it up.

Any thoughts on the class? Any thoughts on the suggested tweaks?

Not sure if it really needs maneuvers. I really like how Punish works, and vampiric punishment is nice as well. 8 skill points per level is a lot, but I think it's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, most of the class features are nifty and well-intentioned, but, in my opinion, getting a worthwhile class out of this is going to require more than a couple tweaks.

If you just wanted a quick and dirty approach, then, sure your tweaks would make it useful enough. But I would prefer to go through and retool and rebalance the existing class features before I played around with add maneuvers to it.

bobthe6th
2013-03-12, 12:12 AM
Not sure if it really needs maneuvers. I really like how Punish works, and vampiric punishment is nice as well. 8 skill points per level is a lot, but I think it's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, most of the class features are nifty and well-intentioned, but, in my opinion, getting a worthwhile class out of this is going to require more than a couple tweaks.

shadow hand maneuvers add a)mobilaty and b)stealth... which felt like what the class needed in my honest opinion.

If you just wanted a quick and dirty approach, then, sure your tweaks would make it useful enough. But I would prefer to go through and retool and rebalance the existing class features before I played around with add maneuvers to it.

yeah... I kept not wanting to, as it felt like it jived so well within itself. Wasn't sure what to start changing lest is all fall down.

Arcanist
2013-03-12, 05:21 AM
First things first, lets clean up the table...

Table 1-1: The Dark Knight... Hit Dice:d10

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Resilient to Fear, Born Warrior

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Signature Armor, Heart of Terror

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Dirty Fighting

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Punish: 1d6, All bleed the same

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|"It gets worse"

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Improved Dirty Fighting

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Punish: 2d6, Vampiric Punishment 1/day

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|"And worse..."

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Punish: 3d6, Vampiric Punishment 2/day

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Immunity to Fear, "Even worse..."

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Punish: 4d6, Vampiric Punishment 3/day

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Punish: 5d6, Creature of Fear

[/table]

Class skills (2 + Int Modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis) and Swim (Str)

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Black Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor and shields, including tower shields.

Resilient to Fear: Black Knights begin their career, as all classes, slowly. They receive a +2 bonus on saves against Fear. At 11th level, you gain Numbed to Fear, which improves the bonus to +4. Finally, at 14th level, the Black Knight transcends the fear he inspires, becoming totally immune to fear.

Born Warrior: Black Knight levels count as Fighter levels for the purpose of feat requirements and/or benefits.

Signature Armor (Ex): At 2nd level, the Black Knight's armor darkens in hue, becoming completely black and granting them their namesake. It becomes weightless, increasing the max dex cap by half the character's Black Knight level (rounded down), up to a maximum of +8 and reduces armor check penalties by the same amount (down to +0, it can't bestow a bonus instead). If removed, the armor reverts to its original form.
At 9th level, this ability improves. Blackheart Armor transforms whatever armor you are wearing into Full Plate Mail and removing the associated reduction in speed. It also reverts to its original form if and when removed.
In either case, improving the armor through magical enhancement is at a higher cost: it counts as though it already has a +1 ability when determining price of enhancement.

Heart of Terror (Ex): Each time you hit with an attack, you may choose to make an Intimidate check in addition to dealing damage. This intimidate check may only be used on the one damaged.

Dirty Fighting: As Improved Feint, even if you don't meet the requirements. At 7th level, this ability improves.

Punish: You deal extra damage equal to what is indicated behind Punish in the table above to opponents who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. This improves every four levels after 4th.

All Bleed the Same (Ex): You no longer take a minus to Intimidate checks made against larger creatures. Intimidate works on creatures of size categories larger than you as if they were the same size category. Intimidate may also be used on a creature of any type, unless it specifically mentions that it is immune to fear.

Aura of Fear(Su): You gain a 5 ft radius Aura of Fear. Those who fail their Will Save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier) are left Shaken. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the radius of the aura are unaffected, although they will notice its effect in minor ways (chills, cold sweat, discomfort, etc). At level 15, this ability improves: you gain a 20 ft radius Aura of Fear.

"It Gets Worse" (Ex): Once per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat.

Improved Dirty Fighting: You may make a Feint attack as a swift action. In addition, as part of a Full Attack Action, you may halve the bonus gained from Armor during your first attack.

Vampiric Punishment (Su): You may only use this ability on those who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. 1/day, you may gain hit points equal to the extra damage dealt when using the Punish Ability. This improves to 2/day at level 12 and 3/day at level 16.

Fearsome Form (Su): 1/day, you may take a Standard action to activate this ability. Your blackened armor shifts and curls, seemingly taking the form of what a person fears most. Each victim will see something different. It acts as a 30 ft burst with a Will Negates, DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier). If your opponent succeeds, he is merely shaken. If he fails, he is panicked. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the burst area are unaffected, although they will see the armour change as well, in a way corresponding to their own fears. You gain another use of this ability at level 15.

"And Worse..." (Ex): Twice per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of It Gets Worse.

Mass Terror (Ex): As Heart of Terror, save that you may now make an Intimidate check against all who witness the attack.

"Even Worse..." (Ex): Thrice per encounter, when you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of And Worse...

Nightmarish Endurance (Ex): You are closer now to becoming a living object of fear. You no longer fail on a roll of 1. You may still fail at attacks and saving throws if you do not meet the DC.

"Time to Flee" (Ex): Each time you kill a creature you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw you kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of Even Worse...

Creature of Fear (Ex): You have become a true exemplar of fear. You may use one of your daily uses of Vampiric Punishment as an Immediate action in response to dropping to or below -10 (Or in response to a save or die) to gain another turn (at your normal initiative). If, after that turn, you are still at or below -10 you still die. If used against Save or die effects, you may roll again. Further, you may now add half your class levels to your Intimidate checks.

Since we don't know the original authors intent, we could just use the old "Playground makes the [Insert Class here]" rules for building a class.

I heard some wanted Shadow Hand? :smallconfused:

bobthe6th
2013-03-12, 07:19 AM
Problem with those is they tend to get schizophrenic quickly... But I haven't the time to do properly.

Ziegander
2013-03-13, 01:10 AM
Okay, time to get to tweaking...
Class skills (2 + Int Modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis) and Swim (Str).

As you mentioned, this simply will not do. I like your suggestion to bump the skill points up to 8 per level and add the new skills.

Silly, Black Knight, you should be immune to Fear! Clerics can be immune starting at 1st level, and so can you!

Sure. Why not? Of course... why? would be a fair question as well...

This ability is an absolute mess. I'm really not sure what to do with it... maybe a sort of Pathfinder Fighter style Armor Training, but tailored away from bonus AC and toward removing dex caps and check penalties...

Good. Should this be a 1st level ability?

Not sure feinting fits the class concept, really.

Now we're talkin'! The bread and butter. Let's just raise the bar to 1d6/two levels and start it up at 2nd level.

That's a cool ability. This could move up to 3rd level without issue, though I wouldn't add piercing Fear until an improved version at say... 7th level?

Bump the radius up to 5ft/two class levels.

Not sure this is necessary or central to the concept. Maybe a bonus to hp based on Charisma though?

This is just awful. Kill it with fire, along with the rest of these trash abilities.

Rather than mess with per day or per encounter, I would just make this work all the time. At 8th level you recover hit points equal to half the Punish damage you deal to a creature. At some later level you regain hit points equal to the full Punish damage dice.

I like this ability, but perhaps it can and should do more? Instead of being, ostensibly, an illusion maybe this could literally transform the Knight into a more powerful and obviously more frightening form? Bonuses to Str and Cha as well as replacing his Fear Aura with full blown Frightful Presence?

A fine ability. Could be obtained earlier. Maybe 9th level?

Ah, a nice and interesting upgrade to Impetuous Endurance, I like it.

Ugh... make it literally trigger a Fear bomb any time you reduce a creature to 0 or fewer hit points.

Substitute the use of Vampiric Punishment for a use of Fearsome Form instead and allow this to be used in response to dropping below 0 hit points. Specify that this can be used against an effect that would instantly slay you without dealing damage, and that if it is, you gain an additional save against that effect at the end of your extra turn.

My sweeping hacks at the class features leaves the table looking like this:

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Born Warrior, Fearless, Heart of Terror

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Punish +1d6

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|All Bleed the Same

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Punish +2d6

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Punish +3d6

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Improved All Bleed the Same

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Punish +4d6, Vampiric Punishment

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Fearsome Form 1/day

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Punish +5d6

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Mass Terror

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Punish +6d6

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Fearsome Form 2/day

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Punish +7d6

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Improved Vampiric Punishment

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Punish +8d6, Fearsome Form 3/day

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Punish +9d6

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Time to Flee, Fearsome Form 4/day

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Punish +10d6, Creature of Fear
[/table]

The Zhentarim Soldier's Extended Intimidation ability would also be handy in there somewhere, though 5th level seems bloated already. 4th level wouldn't be out of hand, though it honestly could be as soon as 2nd level and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Gnorman
2013-03-13, 01:14 AM
Man, Punish is a stupidly good concept and I'm pissed I didn't think of it first.

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 07:23 AM
don't have time for a full response, but here is a version I edited/added some things to.

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Resilient to Fear, Born Warrior, Primal Fear

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Heart of Terror, Punish: 3

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Signature Armor, All bleed the same

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Die Hard, Punish: 6

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Aura of Fear, Freeze Up

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Punish: 9, "It gets worse"

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Shadow hand?

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Punish: 12, Vampiric Punishment 1/encounter

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Punish: 15, "And worse..."

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Punish: 18, Vampiric Punishment 2/encounter

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Improved shadow step?

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Punish: 21, Immunity to Fear, "Even worse..."

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Punish: 24, Vampiric Punishment 3/encounter

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11| Punish: 27

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Punish: 30, Creature of Fear

[/table]

Class Features

Primal Fear: Black knights understand the true meaning of terror. A black knight can but fear into the heart of even the heartless. They can cause creatures that are immune to fear effects and/or mind effects to become shaken as if they had no such immunity. They can't increase the level of fear past shaken, and the effect wears off after its the normal duration.

Signature Armor (Ex): At 3rd level, the Black Knight's armor darkens in hue, becoming completely black and granting them their namesake. It becomes weightless, increasing the max dex cap by half the character's Black Knight level (rounded up), up to a maximum of +8 and reduces armor check penalties by the same amount (down to +0, it can't bestow a bonus instead). If removed, the armor reverts to its original form. It also removes the movement penalty for medium armor.

At 9th level, this ability improves. The black knight gains the ability to summon a set of full plate as a full round action. This armor appears on the knight as if doled normally. The Full plate doe not slow down the wearer as is normal for heavy armor, seeming utterly weightless. It disappears when ever the wearer either takes a standard action to dismiss it, or a full round action to summon another set. The weightless property applies only to the original summoner. The armor counts as masterwork for the purposes of enhancing it. The earlier portion of this ability applies to the summoned armor.

Punish: You deal extra damage equal to what is indicated behind Punish in the table above to opponents who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. This improves every two levels after 2nd.

Heart of Terror (Ex): Starting at second level, a black knight makes those he strikes cower. Each time he hits with an attack, he may choose to make an Intimidate check against the target of the attack in addition to dealing damage.

Punish: A black knight deal extra damage equal to what is indicated behind Punish in the table above to opponents who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. This improves every four levels after 4th.

All Bleed the Same (Ex): Starting at fourth level, a black knight no longer take a minus to Intimidate checks made against larger creatures. Intimidate works on creatures of size categories larger than you as if they were the same size category.
In addition, all of a knights fear effects may also be used on a creature of any type and creatures with mind effecting immunity, unless it specifically mentions that it is immune to fear.

B]Diehard[/B]: At fourth level, a Dark Knight gains Diehard as a bonus feat.

Aura of Fear(Su): At fifth level,.a black knight gains a 5 ft radius Aura of Fear. Upon entering the aura, and every round they remain within the aura, enimies must make a Will Save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier) or be Shaken as long as they are within the aura. Once the affected leave the aura, the condition lasts until their next turn. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the radius of the aura are unaffected, although they will notice its effect in minor ways (chills, cold sweat, discomfort, etc). At level 15, the auras area improves, increasing to a 20 ft radius.

Freeze Up: At fifth level, a Black knight knows how to make his foes cower rather then run. When he would render a foe frightened or panicked, he can chose to make them lose their desire to flee. They will fight on in blind fear, hoping to end the horror that torments them. Such a foe will defend themselves as normal, but if they would be frightend they take an penalty additional -2 penalty to armor class, and if they would be panicked they are considered flatfooted by all attackers.

"It Gets Worse" (Ex): At sixth level, once per encounter, when a black knight drops a creature he gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw him drop that creature. This bonus disappears after combat.

Vampiric Punishment (Su): You may only use this ability on those who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. Once per encounter, you may gain hit points equal to the extra damage dealt when using the Punish Ability. This improves to twice per encounter at level 12 and three times per encounter at level 16.

Fearsome Form (Su): At ninth level, once per day a black knight can make his armor into a mirror for others fears. Activating this ability is a Standard action. When activated, his blackened armor shifts and curls, seemingly taking the form of what a person fears most. Each victim may well see something different. It acts as a 30 ft burst with a Will save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier). Foes that succeed, are merely shaken. If they fails, they are panicked. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the burst area are unaffected, although they will see the armor change as well, in a way corresponding to their own fears. A black knight gain another use of this ability at level 15.

"And Worse..." (Ex): Twice per encounter, when a black knight drops a creature he gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw him kill that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of It Gets Worse.

Mass Terror (Ex): As Heart of Terror, save that you may now make an Intimidate check against all who witness the attack that are within 20ft of you.

"Even Worse..." (Ex): At fourteenth level, three times per encounter, when a black knight drops a creature he gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw him drop that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of And Worse...

Nightmarish Endurance (Ex): You are closer now to becoming a living object of fear. You no longer fail on a roll of 1. A black knight may still fail at attacks and saving throws if you do not meet the DC.

"Time to Flee" (Ex): At nineteenth level, each time a black knight drops a creature he gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage against enemies who saw him drop that creature. This bonus disappears after combat. This replaces the benefit of Even Worse...

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 03:58 PM
Now to comment on your comments. Going in Bold.

Okay, time to get to tweaking...

As you mentioned, this simply will not do. I like your suggestion to bump the skill points up to 8 per level and add the new skills.

It still feels a bit wierd... but it does need a lot of skills to do things...

Silly, Black Knight, you should be immune to Fear! Clerics can be immune starting at 1st level, and so can you!

See, I'd move for +4 at level one, and immunity at 3 like a pally

Sure. Why not? Of course... why? would be a fair question as well...

It is odd... I have to agree. Isn't weapon focus/specialization/supremacy the only fighter only feats.

This ability is an absolute mess. I'm really not sure what to do with it... maybe a sort of Pathfinder Fighter style Armor Training, but tailored away from bonus AC and toward removing dex caps and check penalties...

See the redraft In my edit.

Good. Should this be a 1st level ability?

don't want to be too front loaded...

Not sure feinting fits the class concept, really.

I agree, I say chuck it.

Now we're talkin'! The bread and butter. Let's just raise the bar to 1d6/two levels and start it up at 2nd level.

See, I was thinking reducing the damage to slightly below average for a sneak attack... +3 damage/2 levels. But I was thinking something something like the skirmish, but couldn't think of a second half. Crit range?

That's a cool ability. This could move up to 3rd level without issue, though I wouldn't add piercing Fear until an improved version at say... 7th level?

I agree, except it needs to pierce mind effecting early as undead are prevalent in the low levels.

Bump the radius up to 5ft/two class levels.

I disagree... to much area, feels better as a close range is much better.

Not sure this is necessary or central to the concept. Maybe a bonus to hp based on Charisma though?

I think the idea is to add a bit of the "it dosn't die" terror, which feels reasonable.

This is just awful. Kill it with fire, along with the rest of these trash abilities.

I'd argue it is a nice minor ability... though what about a -1 to the things that are caused by shaken, that stacks with shaken and itself.

Rather than mess with per day or per encounter, I would just make this work all the time. At 8th level you recover hit points equal to half the Punish damage you deal to a creature. At some later level you regain hit points equal to the full Punish damage dice.

Eh... that turns into fast healing, and is a pain to balance. Per encounter it is a noticeable HP boost.

I like this ability, but perhaps it can and should do more? Instead of being, ostensibly, an illusion maybe this could literally transform the Knight into a more powerful and obviously more frightening form? Bonuses to Str and Cha as well as replacing his Fear Aura with full blown Frightful Presence?

Fear aura is better frightening presence. I was thinking it was more then an illusion, more a trick on the mind. Or a real illusion, like formed from the shadow plane.

A fine ability. Could be obtained earlier. Maybe 9th level?

Seems better as limited to a melee reach, otherwise it is a lot of resistance rolls.

Ah, a nice and interesting upgrade to Impetuous Endurance, I like it.

Yeah

Ugh... make it literally trigger a Fear bomb any time you reduce a creature to 0 or fewer hit points.

I say just make it keep stacking existential dread as you keep massacring the enemy.

Substitute the use of Vampiric Punishment for a use of Fearsome Form instead and allow this to be used in response to dropping below 0 hit points. Specify that this can be used against an effect that would instantly slay you without dealing damage, and that if it is, you gain an additional save against that effect at the end of your extra turn.

I think I like this suggestion.

The Zhentarim Soldier's Extended Intimidation ability would also be handy in there somewhere, though 5th level seems bloated already. 4th level wouldn't be out of hand, though it honestly could be as soon as 2nd level and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Eh... I figure that as you are probably wining most intimidation checks, you can probably intimidate every round, and so it isn't important to help the stacking.

Gnorman
2013-03-13, 04:09 PM
Even though you're not the original author, you're the closest source I've got. So I figure I'd ask. May I appropriate some of these concepts for one of my E6 classes?

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 04:11 PM
Even though you're not the original author, you're the closest source I've got. So I figure I'd ask. May I appropriate some of these concepts for one of my E6 classes?

As I have no authority... but I have seen no counter authority... I can't say no and I don't know of anyone who could.

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 10:58 PM
Ok, played with the class some more...

major overhaul

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Primal Fear, For days

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Heart of Terror, Punish: 3

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Signature Armor, All bleed the same

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Dauntless, Punish: 6

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Aura of Fear, Freeze Up

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|"It gets worse", Punish: 9

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Shadow Step, Hello Darkness

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Punish: 12, Vampiric Punishment 1/encounter

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Punish: 15, "And worse..."

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Mass Terror

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Punish: 18, Vampiric Punishment 2/encounter

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Knight Fall

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Punish: 21, "Even worse..."

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Punish: 24, Vampiric Punishment 3/encounter

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11| Punish: 27

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Punish: 30, Creature of Fear

[/table]

Class skills (8 + Int Modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex)

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Black Knights are proficient with all simple weapons, all martial weapons, bolas, Nets, Shuriken, whips, with light and medium armor and shields (but not tower shields).

Primal Fear: Black knights understand the true meaning of terror. A black knight can but fear into the heart of even the heartless. They can cause creatures that are immune to fear effects and/or mind effects to become shaken as if they had no such immunity. They can't increase the level of fear past shaken, and the effect wears off after its the normal duration.

For days...: A black knight knows that sometimes it is better to disable rather then kill. They do not take a enilty to hit for dealing nonlethal damage with a lethal weapon.

Signature Armor (Ex): At 3rd level, the Black Knight's armor darkens in hue, becoming completely black and granting them their namesake. It becomes weightless, increasing the max dex cap by half the character's Black Knight level (rounded up), up to a maximum of +8 and reduces armor check penalties by the same amount (down to +0, it can't bestow a bonus instead). If removed, the armor reverts to its original form. It also removes the movement penalty for medium armor.

At 9th level, this ability improves. The black knight gains the ability to summon a set of full plate as a full round action. This armor appears on the knight as if doled normally. The Full plate doe not slow down the wearer as is normal for heavy armor, seeming utterly weightless. It disappears when ever the wearer either takes a standard action to dismiss it, or a full round action to summon another set. The weightless property applies only to the original summoner. The armor counts as masterwork for the purposes of enhancing it. The earlier portion of this ability applies to the summoned armor.

Punish: You deal extra damage equal to what is indicated behind Punish in the table above to opponents who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. This improves every two levels after 2nd.

Heart of Terror (Ex): Starting at second level, a black knight makes those he strikes cower. Each time he hits with an attack, he may choose to make an Intimidate check against the target of the attack in addition to dealing damage.

All Bleed the Same (Ex): Starting at fourth level, a black knight no longer take a minus to Intimidate checks made against larger creatures. Intimidate works on creatures of size categories larger than you as if they were the same size category.
In addition, all of a knights fear effects may also be used on a creature of any type and creatures with mind effecting immunity, unless it specifically mentions that it is immune to fear.

B]Dauntless(Ex)[/B]: At fourth level, a Dark Knight Has seen the heart of fear, and laughed in its face. He gains Diehard as a bonus feat, and is now immune to fear effects.

Aura of Fear(Su): At fifth level,.a black knight gains a 5 ft radius Aura of Fear. Upon entering the aura, and every round they remain within the aura, enimies must make a Will Save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier) or be Shaken as long as they are within the aura. Once the affected leave the aura, the condition lasts until their next turn. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the radius of the aura are unaffected, although they will notice its effect in minor ways (chills, cold sweat, discomfort, etc). At level 15, the auras area improves, increasing to a 20 ft radius.

Freeze Up: At fifth level, a Black knight knows how to make his foes cower rather then run. When he would render a foe frightened or panicked, he can chose to make them lose their desire to flee. They will fight on in blind fear, hoping to end the horror that torments them. Such a foe will defend themselves as normal, but if they would be frightend they take an penalty additional -2 penalty to armor class, and if they would be panicked they are considered flatfooted by all attackers.

"It Gets Worse" (Ex): At sixth level, once per encounter, when a black knight drops a creature, all creatures that saw him drop it gain a -1 moral penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, armor class, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. This penalty stacks with itself and with fear effects. This penalties disappears after combat. This is fear effect.

Hello Darkness(Su): At seventh level, the black nights dark armor seems to litteraly absorb light. He can activate or dismiss an 20ft aura of darkness as a free action. The lighting within the aura is reduced by one step or to shadowy, whichever is less. This counts as a darkness spell with a level equal to one half the Black knights level.

Shadow Step(Su): At seventh level, a Black knight learns to take a step into darkness. As long as he is in an area of shadowy or lower illumination, he may teleport up to 10ft as a swfit action, 40ft as a move action, 50ft as a standard action, or 80ft as a full round action as long as the target space is also in shadowy or lower illumination.

Vampiric Punishment (Su): A eighth level Black knight can drain some of the fear from creatures. He may only use this ability on those who are Shaken, Frightened, or Panicked. Once per encounter, he may gain hit points equal to the extra damage dealt when using the Punish Ability when he uses it. This improves to twice per encounter at level 12 and three times per encounter at level 16.

Hardened Darkness(Su): At 9th level The black knight gains the ability to summon a set of full plate as a full round action. This armor appears on the knight as if donned normally. The Full plate doe not slow down the wearer as is normal for heavy armor, seeming utterly weightless. It disappears when ever the wearer either takes a standard action to dismiss it, or a full round action to summon another set. The weightless property applies only to the original summoner. The armor counts as masterwork for the purposes of enhancing it. The earlier portion of this ability applies to the summoned armor.

Fearsome Form (Su): At ninth level, once per day a black knight can make his armor into a mirror for others fears. Activating this ability is a Standard action. When activated, his blackened armor shifts and curls, seemingly taking the form of what a person fears most. Each victim may well see something different. It acts as a 30 ft burst with a Will save DC (10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier). Foes that succeed, are merely shaken. If they fails, they are panicked. Allies (or those thinking they are allies) who are inside the burst area are unaffected, although they will see the armor change as well, in a way corresponding to their own fears. A black knight gain another use of this ability at level 15.

"And Worse..." (Ex):At tenth level, a Black knight can use It Gets Worse Twice per encounter.

Mass Terror (Ex): At eleventh level, a Black knight spreads dread to all with his strikes. When he uses Heart of Terror, he may now apply the demoralization check against all who witness the attack that are within 20ft of him.

Knight fall(Su): At thirteenth level, a Black knight is aswirling mass of darkness. If he has his Aura of darkness active, he can spend a free action to deepen the darkness or lighten it back to normal as a free action. Deepening the darkness reduces the light level within 20ft of the black knight to total darkness, and lowers the light within 20ft of the new aura as the original aura. This counts as a darkness spell with a level equal to one half the Black knights level.

"Even Worse..." (Ex): At fourteenth level, a Black knight can use It Gets Worse three times per encounter.

Nightmarish Endurance (Ex): A seventeenth level a Black knight becomes closer to becoming a living object of fear. He no longer automatically fails any d20 roll on a natural 1. A black knight may still fail at whatever the roll was for, if the roll plus modifiers is insufficient.

"Time to Flee" (Ex): At nineteenth level, a Black knight can use It Gets Worse unlimited times per encounter.

Creature of Fear (Ex): At twentieth level, a black knight has become a true exemplar of fear. He may now use one of his encounterly uses of Vampiric Punishment as an Immediate action in response to dropping to or below -10 (Or in response to a save or die) to gain another turn (at his normal initiative). If, after that turn, the black knight is still at or below -10 he still dies. If used against Save or die effects, he gets an additional save. He may not use this abilaty twice against the same effect. Further, he may now add half his class levels to his Intimidate checks.

Still a bit empty at upper levels, and the out of combat is not all that I would wish... But I added some cool things to the proficiencies.

bobthe6th
2013-03-15, 09:21 PM
bumpitybump

Gnorman
2013-03-15, 09:33 PM
I adapted this into an E6 version:

The Blackguard
HD: d10
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot
Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Fear Immunity, Frightful Visage, Punish +1d6

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Aura of Despair, Better to Be Feared Than Loved

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Bonus Feat, Punish +2d6

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Aura of Fear, Ravager

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Cower Before Me, Punish +3d6

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Dread Warrior, Blood Feast[/table]

Proficiencies: Blackguards are proficient with simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with all armor and shields, including tower shields.

Fear Immunity: A blackguard is immune to fear.

Frightful Visage: A blackguard may demoralize a foe as a swift action.

Punish: When attacking a foe who is shaken, frightened, or panicked, the blackguard deals an additional 1d6 damage. This increases to 2d6 at 3rd level and 3d6 at 5th level.

Aura of Despair: A blackguard radiates an aura of unease and despair, out to 5 feet per class level. Any opponent caught in this aura takes a penalty on all saves equal to the blackguard's Charisma modifier.

Better to Be Feared Than Loved: A successful intimidate check by a blackguard does not cause the target's attitude to shift to unfriendly or hostile afterwards. In addition, a blackguard no longer takes a penalty on Intimidate for being of a smaller size than his target.

Bonus Feat: A blackguard may select a fighter feat as a bonus feat. Once per day, he may select a different fighter feat for which he qualifies and swap his current feat out for that one. For the purposes of qualifying, the blackguard counts as a fighter of his class level.

Aura of Fear: In addition to reducing saves, being caught in the blackguard's aura of despair now causes opponents to make a Will save or be shaken for as long as they remain within it. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the blackguard's HD + the blackguard's Charisma modifier. An opponent who successfully saves against this ability is immune to it for 24 hours.

Ravager: A blackguard who successfully drops an opponent to -10 hit points is filled with the mad rush of the kill. For a number of rounds equal to his Charisma bonus, he acts as if under the effects of a haste spell. This is an extraordinary ability. This ability can only be triggered by killing opponents who have at least half as many hit dice as the blackguard himself.

Cower Before Me: Anytime a blackguard would cause an opponent to be shaken, that opponent becomes frightened instead.

Dread Warrior: A blackguard may inflict fear on even the stoutest of hearts. Opponents normally immune to fear lose such immunity within the blackguard's aura of despair.

Blood Feast: Whenever a blackguard deals damage with his Punish ability, he regains a number of hit points equal to his Charisma modifier. This cannot take him above his normal maximum total.

bobthe6th
2013-03-22, 11:18 AM
bump pump.

bobthe6th
2013-03-30, 01:29 PM
For justice?

bobthe6th
2013-05-16, 05:16 PM
really, no other thoughts?