PDA

View Full Version : Hulking Hurler Question

Sugashane
2013-03-12, 02:50 AM
I have a large Hulking hurler, his strength is 30, so he can throw anything from about 2100 pounds down (overburdened heave).

But what about throwing and opponent I am grappling? I can't find any ruling on this, the damage it would cause, etc. Or if I could just pick them up and slam them, and hopefully allow AoO on him when he/she tries to stand from prone.

usually when I ask my group there is a roar of opinions and arguing, but this one caused absolute silence as no one really knew.

gr8artist
2013-03-12, 07:36 AM
3.5 contains rules for improvised weapon damage by weight, found in the last pages of the Complete Warrior.
As far as how to throw them... I know of no clear-cut rulings, but what we do is this...

round 1: Grapple
round 2: Pin
round 3: Batter-up!

If you can maintain your third check (the second standard action after the initial grapple check) then you've got him right where you want him. He's yours to come (or go) as you please. Plus, if you throw him into an enemy, you essentially double your damage.
Hint: grab guys with spiked armor first. They deal extra damage.

All of this is better than Scion, a game in which mid-level characters discovered that throwing giants to the moon was the easiest way to be rid of them. (we had escape velocity tables and everything)

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-12, 09:36 AM
Races of Stone has the Fling Enemy feat; chuck them 10' for every 5 you beat their grapple/escape artist check by

LordVonDerp
2013-03-12, 03:10 PM
don't improvised thrown weapons have a range increment of 10'?

Deadline
2013-03-12, 06:24 PM
Levels in Swordsage will let you take the Setting Sun line of maneuvers (Mighty Throw, Devastating Throw, Comet Throw, etc.). The Martial Study feat will get you one of those 1/encounter.

Sugashane
2013-03-12, 07:40 PM
3.5 contains rules for improvised weapon damage by weight, found in the last pages of the Complete Warrior.
As far as how to throw them... I know of no clear-cut rulings, but what we do is this...

round 1: Grapple
round 2: Pin
round 3: Batter-up!

If you can maintain your third check (the second standard action after the initial grapple check) then you've got him right where you want him. He's yours to come (or go) as you please. Plus, if you throw him into an enemy, you essentially double your damage.
Hint: grab guys with spiked armor first. They deal extra damage.

All of this is better than Scion, a game in which mid-level characters discovered that throwing giants to the moon was the easiest way to be rid of them. (we had escape velocity tables and everything)

I like that idea, as this character is also a Pal/Monk with Acetic Knight, so he is able to do 3d6 damage per attack.

Thanks for the feedback guy, I wasn't sure if the thrown weapon damage would count as he would be the "weapon" being thrown. It makes sense though.

gr8artist
2013-03-12, 08:17 PM
Forgot to mention earlier, but the table also includes a "soft object" damage reduction for things not hard and brittle. So if you're throwing Friar Tuck, expect him to deal half damage. :-)

KoboldCleric
2013-03-12, 09:36 PM
Toss Your Foe (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050315a)

gr8artist
2013-03-13, 05:58 PM
While that is a very handy point of reference, it does nothing for people who want to use their enemies as thrown weapons. It essentially lets you reposition them a great distance. Nothing about falling prone, nothing about damage.