PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Smartphones

PallElendro
2013-03-12, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I went there.

I realise now that things like the Samsung Galaxy S-III, the iPhone, and any tablet are all useless to me. They're ridiculously priced miniature computers that are more fragile than emotions, and are needlessly complicated.

The iPhone is very prone to breaking, case or without a case. I brought my iPod Touch to school so I could Bluetooth with my buddies. They kept noticing the scratch I got on the side. A very superfluous damage. And other people kept telling me, "Get a case. It will protect it." Yes, because I was careless with it once, and I will continue to be careless. [/sarcasm]
Another thing. iPhone Death Grip. (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/iphone-4-death-grip) This is why I don't want this nice thing.

Androids and Samsung devices are horribly complex to use. It's not as simple to use as an iDevice, and if I had a Droid, I would rage over its weird controls, the tapping sensitivity being too high or too low, and it's just way too compact in its software.

Tablets. As miniature laptops, these things are somewhat good for work and movies. What I can't get over is the crappy amount of battery I have to use in order to use a tablet for work or movies. Oh, and there is no 3G or LTE. The sap who bought it stuck with having to use Wi-Fi unless they can cache a URL for later. Even if the games are good, the UI is terrible, seeing that the screen is too big for someone's hands, save the kids in maths problems who can carry two oranges and three apples in their hands.

That's why I like to stick to the dumb phones. Screw smartphones, the next phone I want is the Indestructible Nokia 3310.

Grinner
2013-03-12, 03:16 AM
I know what you mean.

I got an Android tablet some time ago. The UI continues to baffle me. It seems as though you cannot change the default browser's preset links without going through some crazy shenanigans, and be prepared to spend half an hour trying to modify the icon layout.

Also, Google Play. Why is that I need to hand over my cell phone number to Google as well as create a Google+ profile just so I can download a single freaking game demo?

dehro
2013-03-12, 03:23 AM
I've still stayed clear from tablets, so far, though I'm tempted by an e-reader for the.. reading.
I do have a samsung smartphone and spend half my days loading the fracking battery and the other half swearing because my battery is running low.
also, it's a rather old model and now I'm practically forced to delete stuff on an almost daily routine for it to stop sending me messages that the memory is full..which is stupid because that's the internal memory whilst the other memory (can't think of it's name) is not, but I can't move the couple of apps I have on there because it won't let me.

if I didn't like the concept of android tech so much I'd go back to indestructible nokias

Strawberries
2013-03-12, 03:24 AM
I used to not like smartphones, then I moved abroad, and realised how useful they actually are.

I've had both an i-phone and an Android, and can't say I've found either particularly difficult to use. Maybe the Android is sliiiightly more user-friendly, but that's a matter of personal perception.

Then again, as with every instrument, it just depends on what you need it for. I use it to make international calls without paying a fortune, and it's nice to have Internet access everywhere... but I realise most people can live more than well with a phone that just calls and send texts.

Oh, and I am the most careless person in existence with phones. My Iphone must have fallen a hundred time, and the Android is swiftly following the same path. I never had one broke. Maybe I'm just lucky.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-12, 03:36 AM
I'm with ya.

I have the dumbest, not-smart phone money can buy (well money can't buy it anymore). It doesn't even have a camera. I can surf the web, but I can't use flash, so... what's the point. It has a crap speaker, so it's almost completely useless for phone calls or music playback. It's only real use is text messages.

And I love it. My wife has a smartphone, and other than the fact that she can play Scrabble on it, I think it sucks. I refuse to touch it.

The Succubus
2013-03-12, 04:18 AM
I'm a complete gadget head - I love my smartphones. Sowwy.

I do, however, place a premium on the fact that a smartphone has to be *tough*. A touchscreen is useless if shattered and the pressure sensors beneath are useless if broken. My current smartphone is a Nokia Lumia 820 and compared to some of the ones I've used in the past, it is built like the proverbial brick. I like it. =)

GnomeFighter
2013-03-12, 04:27 AM
Old phones not brake? Ha! As if. I would say my old HTC or my current iPhone are as well built as any phone I have ever had. After 12 months my old 3210 was missing buttons and bashed to hell. Same with the Ericcson flip phone I had. After 12 months the flip no longer worked and the arial was held on with tape.

I would not say modern phones fradgile at all. My iPhone is showing some signes of the paint wareing off on the edges but other than that it is perfect and I'm not exactly careful. After 2 years my last HTC was batterd with dents all over it and the caseing had bent but it worked perfectly. I think we just have higher expectaions, that the phone should stay looking perfect.

I don't see them as complex to use at all, either droid or OSX. Switching between the two can be annoying as they do things diffrently.

dehro
2013-03-12, 04:33 AM
@Succubus..it's nokia.. what did you expect?
I once had one fall straight down 2 flights of stairs and land on a granite pavement. didn't even scratch it.

come to think of it, my first smart phone (which was stolen from me) was an HTC which I actually think worked better than my current Samsung

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-03-12, 04:45 AM
I also like smartphones. I used to think them superfluous until I started playing Pandora on them. I love my music so much. And having Google at hand all the time makes me probably like 40% smarter.

But without my phone case my phone would be broken faster than silence. I've gone through a smartphone in under a week once.

The Succubus
2013-03-12, 04:46 AM
Very true. Even the old Communicator series which were opening clamshell type phones could take more of a pounding than single unit devices I've seen from other manufacturers. Case in point, my old Blackberry 9360 was falling to bits pretty damn quick, the buttons on the rubber keyboard of my Motorola Droid were peeling off within a couple of months and my Xperia Play has a touchscreen that is unusuable. -.-

Definitely sticking with my Nokia in future.

Tvtyrant
2013-03-12, 05:01 AM
I somehow read this as ISmart Hatephones at first, and quickly did a second take.

Yeah, I agree. I went from a flip phone to a pseudo-smart phone (with its almost touch screen!) and then to a real smart phone (with a real touch screen!) and have always wanted to go back to the flip phone. Smaller, lighter, less prone to getting scratched.

Starwulf
2013-03-12, 05:04 AM
I'm in with the non-smartphone using crowd. My phone doesn't even have texting enabled. My friends keep ragging/bugging me about getting texting because(and I quote) "Who wants to talk on the phone". LOL. I was like "I do.". Could care less bout being able to "text" someone at any time of the day for whatever miniscule reason. if it isn't important enough to warrant a phone call, I don't care about it.

Othesemo
2013-03-12, 05:06 AM
I love phones.

They're so pervasive that I don't even have to spend money on them. Wherever I am, it's pretty much guaranteed that I can borrow one from a friend or passer by.

I'd never actually by one, mind you. They're horribly overpriced, and I've got a laptop anyways. But it is handy to have everyone else carrying around google in their pocket.

Brother Oni
2013-03-12, 06:25 AM
Am I one of the few who doesn't even have a mobile phone?

Should I be wearing a wood and rope sign with 'Mobile Phone Luddite' on it? :smalltongue:

noparlpf
2013-03-12, 08:17 AM
I stick to a basic flip-phone, with just the number pad. When I have to, I text with that, and I'm good at it. I don't like touch-screens, I don't want an internet connection and brand battles and all that crap. I don't want a fragile, easily-broken-by-mistake-even-when-you're-super-careful device that costs that much. If I want a computer, I'll use a computer. Phones are primarily for calling people and to some extent texting people.
I do have a new flip-phone this year, though. My old one was eight years old, had a cracked hinge and a bit of the casing coming loose, and a weird buzz to the speaker, so my mother bought a new one and activated it for me even though mine was still fine. >:|
Ah well, I'm used to the new one now. I guess it's okay, it's basically the same.

I'm in with the non-smartphone using crowd. My phone doesn't even have texting enabled. My friends keep ragging/bugging me about getting texting because(and I quote) "Who wants to talk on the phone". LOL. I was like "I do.". Could care less bout being able to "text" someone at any time of the day for whatever miniscule reason. if it isn't important enough to warrant a phone call, I don't care about it.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/6761235_460s_v1_zps04017c67.jpg

warty goblin
2013-03-12, 09:48 AM
I still have this naive hope I can once again live a cell phone free life. Did it for years, preferred it completely. Now I just fake it by never bringing my cell with me, and making sure only about five people have the number.

Anarion
2013-03-12, 10:08 AM
I still have this naive hope I can once again live a cell phone free life. Did it for years, preferred it completely. Now I just fake it by never bringing my cell with me, and making sure only about five people have the number.

You know what made me buy a cell phone? Meeting people. There were so many times in the pre cell phone days that you thought you were totally clear about what corner you were going to be on, or by what building or whatever, and one or the other of you would stand around for 15 minutes in the wrong place. Or if there was some big event and a crowd, you wouldn't be able to find the person you were looking for and couldn't switch positions to somewhere more visible because then they wouldn't know where to look for you.

I got a smart phone for the maps and so I could listen to NPR anywhere I am. And those two things are totally worth it.

factotum
2013-03-12, 11:06 AM
I have a Nokia e63 which I've had for getting on for three years now, and I'm dreading the moment when it dies and I have to get a replacement...phones with actual QWERTY keyboards seem to be hard to find, and those that exist are often horrible things (I mean, have you ever tried typing on a Blackberry keyboard?). I suppose technically my e63 is a smartphone, but I don't use any of the smartphone facilities...

Flickerdart
2013-03-12, 11:22 AM
I've never found any version of Android difficult to use.

Keld Denar
2013-03-12, 11:39 AM
I love my Droid RAZR. The sucker is practically invincible. I don't even use a case for it. I don't find the UI particularly complex, and yea, it did take me a little bit to get my icons all set where I liked them from my previous smart phone, I don't spend ANY time messing with it anymore. I have all kinds of useful apps that are either USEFUL, or just interesting. Me and the girlfriend use Shazzam all the time to identify music we here on the radio, and we google things all the time on the browser. I like facebook and twitter to kill time while I'm waiting for the kids at the bus stop or in line a the grocery store. TuneIn Radio means I can listen to radio stations while I'm not in my car, and I can listen to radio stations from places I used to live like Kansas City or Boston or even Germany. MyTracks is useful when I park in the city and have to walk several blocks to my destination, I can always find my way back even though I'm usually very good at that anyway. I also like to to track how far me and the girlfriend actually walk when we go urban hiking. Heck, it doubles as a flashlight that I don't have to carry, and the camera flash is brighter than most flashlights I have anyway.

And the best feature...GPS. Walking, driving, or cycling, my phone knows the best way to get there. I used to use printed mapquest directions and deviating from the path was death. Once you get to know places, its less important, and I use my GPS now much less than when I first moved to Seattle a few years ago, but having that backup in my pocket...I can't imagine life without it anymore.

The Extinguisher
2013-03-12, 11:43 AM
I love my smartphone. I've usef both iOS and Android (I currently have an S3) and they're both easy to use. I think its amazing how everyone is connected all the time now. The internet is a beautiful thing and its not a bad thing were using more of it.

Chen
2013-03-12, 11:45 AM
I love my iphone and ipad. The phone is useful since I can read/surf on the bus/metro to and from work, making that commute less of a waste of time. I don't have a land line at home since me and my GF have unlimited calling in the evenings/weekends and we're at work during the day.

The ipad is good for reading at home or any type of surfing when I'm not at my desk. Has some decent mindless games on it too that I can play while half-watching TV or the like. Also good for trips.

I can get not wanting to spend the money for new technology, but things are going to continue moving forward. The amount of convenience in terms of maps or just internet access on the go is such a huge benefit to these devices. I can deal live without having them, but I don't know why I'd WANT to, since I have no problems actually paying for them.

Vizzerdrix
2013-03-12, 11:52 AM
I hate all cell phones. Heck, I trip people I pass if they are walking and texting.

kurokotetsu
2013-03-12, 01:31 PM
I don't hate them, but I don't have one and when I lose my lovely semi-indestructible Nokia (it isn't the old brick with Snake installed, that is still alive but with dead battery), I will buy the same model. It makes calls, receives texts, has a decent battery life (about a week) and it is very resistant.

Why would I like a smart´phone? For social networking? Not a great fan of Facebook and I can go most of the day without seeing it. Checking e-mail ? Don't need to, doing it when I'm home is enough. Apps? Not seen one I need in the slightest. So I see no reason to pay ten times more for a smartphone, including the extra fares related to using one.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-12, 02:50 PM
I hear some Androids are pretty good. Totalbiscuit prefers the one that has a bigger sliding keyboard (I watch way too much of The Game Station Podcast).

Also, Apple's not even trying anymore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17yxnt000v3kdjpg/original.jpg

warty goblin
2013-03-12, 03:23 PM
You know what made me buy a cell phone? Meeting people. There were so many times in the pre cell phone days that you thought you were totally clear about what corner you were going to be on, or by what building or whatever, and one or the other of you would stand around for 15 minutes in the wrong place. Or if there was some big event and a crowd, you wouldn't be able to find the person you were looking for and couldn't switch positions to somewhere more visible because then they wouldn't know where to look for you.

If I ever met people or went to events these would matter more. As it is I really don't do either, at least in a capacity where a cell makes any difference. I make maybe three phone calls a week, and can easily go a month without sending a text message.

Mercenary Pen
2013-03-12, 03:28 PM
Am I one of the few who doesn't even have a mobile phone?

Should I be wearing a wood and rope sign with 'Mobile Phone Luddite' on it? :smalltongue:

I'm not quite at that stage, but I am still on my first phone which was as cheap as I could get when I bought it a few years ago, and I use it so little that in that time I haven't needed to buy credit more than maybe ten times... I just much prefer face to face conversation, or the use of a proper computer, the middle ground just doesn't appeal to me.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-12, 03:29 PM
I was going to write a long post glorifying smart phones, but then:

I love my Droid RAZR. The sucker is practically invincible. I don't even use a case for it. I don't find the UI particularly complex, and yea, it did take me a little bit to get my icons all set where I liked them from my previous smart phone, I don't spend ANY time messing with it anymore. I have all kinds of useful apps that are either USEFUL, or just interesting. Me and the girlfriend use Shazzam all the time to identify music we here on the radio, and we google things all the time on the browser. I like facebook and twitter to kill time while I'm waiting for the kids at the bus stop or in line a the grocery store. TuneIn Radio means I can listen to radio stations while I'm not in my car, and I can listen to radio stations from places I used to live like Kansas City or Boston or even Germany. MyTracks is useful when I park in the city and have to walk several blocks to my destination, I can always find my way back even though I'm usually very good at that anyway. I also like to to track how far me and the girlfriend actually walk when we go urban hiking. Heck, it doubles as a flashlight that I don't have to carry, and the camera flash is brighter than most flashlights I have anyway.

And the best feature...GPS. Walking, driving, or cycling, my phone knows the best way to get there. I used to use printed mapquest directions and deviating from the path was death. Once you get to know places, its less important, and I use my GPS now much less than when I first moved to Seattle a few years ago, but having that backup in my pocket...I can't imagine life without it anymore.
Ditto. There's also the web browser that keeps me up to date on tech blogs/news while I'm on the bus for like 2 hours a day. Words with Friends (I really wish they made like a paper version you can play with your friends, seems like it would make for a cool board game :smalltongue:). And there's the WiFi hotspot in case you really, really have to get something done on the internet without a Starbucks handy, or in case your internet goes down and you have something due in 30 minutes.

Destructibility is.. relative. All of my phones look like war vets after a few months. That said, they still work perfectly. I've only had a few phones in general (I got my first one end of December/2006), and actually I had the least luck with my flip phone (original Razr), which had the top screen broken and the keyboard hard to press two years in. My iPhone 3g was built like a brick, and physical damage was my own fault (fell in a pitcher of beer, got run over by a bike, headphone jack broken with overuse from a large/really stiff plug), and even after that it worked mostly pretty well... what finally made me change it is when I took it apart to fix but couldn't get the lock button to work. My current phone (HTC Sensation) is working perfectly with minor scratches for 1.5 years and counting.

The only thing I wish for is better battery life. Standby is fine, like 2 days, but when you start talking for a few hours or you browse the web + listen to music, it drops to like 0.75 days. Still not as bad as Samsung Galaxies though, which you have to charge after 4 hours.. Seriously, when will they realize that "slimmer, lighter and with a screen even more giant then before" doesn't mean jack when the battery is dead. I'd easily carry something double the weight if it means 3x the battery life.

PS: the only way to improve smartphones would be to remove the calling feature :smallbiggrin: Then people would have no excuse to call you and would have to text and email.

Grinner
2013-03-12, 03:42 PM
PS: the only way to improve smartphones would be to remove the calling feature :smallbiggrin: Then people would have no excuse to call you and would have to text and email.

Without the microphone, they could put in an even bigger screen!

noparlpf
2013-03-12, 03:44 PM
I hate all cell phones. Heck, I trip people I pass if they are walking and texting.

You are my hero. As a cyclist on a college campus, pedestrians whose eyes are glued to their phones are a huge pet peeve. I've run into several people because they suddenly stopped moving or changed direction without looking around.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-12, 03:53 PM
Without the microphone, they could put in an even bigger screen!

And give it Windows 8 and a decent processor, and a USB port on either side that allows you to either hook up miniature (or full-sized) mouses and keyboards, or two specially designed half-controllers. Now you can carry Crusader Kings II or Sim City 4 in your pocket, and the controls aren't touch screen crap!

*totally not cribbing ideas from the Razer Edge. The mouse and keyboard thing is all mine, though. I mean, seriously, people put up with phone keyboards. One that's about three inches by five inches, no numpad or anything, should work fine.

Nameless Ghost
2013-03-12, 04:34 PM
I don't hate smartphones because they break; I've dropped my Droid a couple of times and, sure, it's got a few scratches, but not really any more than any other phone might have from that. I recall my old Nokia had a fair share of dents and scratches too.

Nor because they're hard to use. It took maybe five minutes to learn the majority of the controls once I was actually trying to use it, and I had previously struggled to use friends' smartphones. There's a learning curve with all technology after all.

I can see I would have little use for a table, but that wouldn't be a reason to hate one. I'd rather buy a comparatively priced laptop than a high-end tablet, though I'd rather have a generic tablet than an e-reader.

The games aren't really a thing to hate either. Casual gamers play casual games, why take that away from them, and dedicated gamers will always want a device specifically for the purpose.

Sometimes the signal dies when you most need it, but the same would be true of a laptop or even a home router. It's a pretty unavoidable consequence of wireless technology; it can be rage-inducing, but I wouldn't say I hate that either.

Smartphones - portable computers in general, call them what you want - are great because of how easy they make life. Hear a word you don't know? Look it up. Want to talk to a foreigner? There's a translation app. See a product in a store? You've just ordered it online for less. Want to contact somebody? You can do so in any way imaginable. Lost? You have a map. Bored? You shouldn't ever be when you have constant internet access.

But still, I hate smartphones: the insidious consequences of always having all the data in the world at your fingertips, and everybody else on the network always having access to you haven't even begun to make themselves truly known.

Mauve Shirt
2013-03-12, 04:42 PM
I love my smartphone, it's the best!
Except when I go to bed at 9:30, set my alarm, remember that I need to post in that one thread real quick, oh my gosh a words with friends request, oh look a facebook notification, what do you mean it's 11:30 and I have to be up in 6 hours?

Flickerdart
2013-03-12, 04:54 PM
But still, I hate smartphones: the insidious consequences of always having all the data in the world at your fingertips, and everybody else on the network always having access to you haven't even begun to make themselves truly known.
If you don't want people to call you, don't pick up your phone, don't give out your number, use a device without cellular radio. It's only a bilateral communication tool if you want it to be.

sktarq
2013-03-12, 06:17 PM
If you don't want people to call you, don't pick up your phone, don't give out your number, use a device without cellular radio. It's only a bilateral communication tool if you want it to be.

By and large that's irrelevant. Its not just about people being able to contact you in particular then the change that occurs due to expectation of being able to. The blasted little bricks have changed society, expectations in friendships etc....then again so did the invention of stamps. It happens personally I don't need one for my lifestyle. Don't know a word -I have a notebook (the paper kind) and a desktop for later. Maps - funny but I've gotten very good at figuring out how to get around without them or with a thomas guide of my state. And I can find myself on a 1:26K USGS Topo to a dot about the same size as my pentip anyway. Even to places niether of us has been before I'll beat a friend with GPS to an address on a regular basis-called practice. Need to look something up-I've got a brain and a well trained memory-the thing is like a muscle and I keep it trained. . . . or write it down to look up later. Having borrowed (or had it forced on me for a few weeks) I found that for all its ability to tearn and help my life was harder with it. I was more aware of what was around me without it. So I gladly gave it back and still have my trusty ol' flip phone. Plus I don't like throwing things away that still work. . . heck I kept my Qualcomm 800A until 2003 and it had sand pouring out of it for the last 2. As for entertainment or something to look at while driving the cyclists crazy....I've got a book....with dog ears, reciepts as bookmarks and all kinds of sensory activated memories that I just don't get froma pdf file.
I can see why they'd be helpful to some people. But they seem to have costs-hell my roomates became so much LESS communicative whjen they got smartphones it wasn't even funny. And those cost besides the monetary and the strange keeping-up-with-theJones thing seem to be less obvious than the benifits So I'll pass and let the wippersnappers and my mother keep harping about how I should get one.
As for tablets, etc. I used them. . . and I can't see the point. They seem to laptops for cats. Simplified to the point where it doesn't do what I'd want it to.
Finnally-I just don't like touchscreens in general. I have big fingers, sweaty hands, and find doing anything besides being handed what somebody is trying to give me (say a video) harder to do what I want than a laptop.

--okay I'd admit a spellchecker might be nice----but I'd probably be looking for a hammer by the end of the day to shut it up/emotionally vent

Grinner
2013-03-12, 06:31 PM
By and large that's irrelevant. Its not just about people being able to contact you in particular then the change that occurs due to expectation of being able to. The blasted little bricks have changed society, expectations in friendships etc....

This is true.

Did you know that job applications ask for cell phone numbers now? Your boss expects to be able to contact you whenever he wishes. How long before that becomes mandatory?

Keld Denar
2013-03-12, 06:42 PM
Yea, that was one thing about my last job that I wasn't happy about. My boss made me (ok, HEAVILY SUGGESTED) that I be able to access my work email from my phone. Except that he wasn't paying for said phone. So...crappy.

Of course, I don't have a land line, so the only number I have to give my boss is my cell phone. You have to provide contact info, so...

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-12, 09:24 PM
For me the main point of a smartphone isn't communication; it's convenience. Being able to access any information, from anywhere I want. I think that's what nails it for me; my banking app is the best thing since pre-sliced cheese. People without such a (admittedly, purely psychological) need are a lot more against/undecided about them.

But you got to admit, they've significantly improved people's spelling and grammar from lazy-but-fast "sup m8 u going out 2moro 2 c dave?" to (much less painful to read) "Hey dude, let's go to a bar tomorrow, Dave's band is playing." Still colloquial, but at least with qwerty's (whether on-screen, or blackberry) people are much less lazy to type out full sentences, and autocorrect turns fragments into full words. While providing a good dose of laughter and miscommunication once in a while.

As for the boss: just let him know you don't always have your cell phone on you. Then, whenever he's calling, just don't answer if you don't want to.

Aedilred
2013-03-13, 08:48 AM
As for the boss: just let him know you don't always have your cell phone on you. Then, whenever he's calling, just don't answer if you don't want to.
And then, pretty soon, you won't have a job...

I'm not a fan of smartphones or tablets, although I understand why people like them. Really, I want my phone for calling and texting, and that's about it. It would be nice if I could get maps on it sometimes, and checking email and maybe the cricket scores would be a bonus, but I can live without all of that. I'd rather they put their efforts into improving the battery life, or the signal.

With tablets, I can't think of a single way in which they would improve my life. Typing on a touchscreen is made of suck, not to mention that you then have to experience everything you view through the greasy filter left by your own fingers. In terms of what I want a computer for, a desktop or netbook is always going to be superior. I also thoroughly resent the increasing way that computing is becoming app-driven because apps seem to be a poor excuse for programs, and I dislike the walled-garden approach to computing that it encourages.

But then I know people find tablets useful; they're just not for me. Smartphones annoy me more in the hands of other people because I find them antisocial, and I'm always amazed at how long someone can sit staring at a tiny screen surfing the internet or playing a casual game rather than using the computer right next to them to do the same thing better. So long as we can reach a happy compromise where people who want the features of tablets etc. can have them and I can carry on with my existing setup, that's fine. I worry, however, that I'm going to be forcibly converted, which, given that it seems to be a step backwards, would be infuriating.

Grinner
2013-03-13, 09:01 AM
With tablets, I can't think of a single way in which they would improve my life. Typing on a touchscreen is made of suck, not to mention that you then have to experience everything you view through the greasy filter left by your own fingers. In terms of what I want a computer for, a desktop or netbook is always going to be superior. I also thoroughly resent the increasing way that computing is becoming app-driven because apps seem to be a poor excuse for programs, and I dislike the walled-garden approach to computing that it encourages.

Emphasis mine.

That's one thing that's always confused me. You can use the Facebook app, or just go to Facebook in your browser. Hey! The browser even comes with a Facebook link.

Frankly, half of the apps I see are simply glorified hyperlinks designed for the express purpose of cluttering up the interface.

dehro
2013-03-13, 12:48 PM
I've caught myself using my phone to check up facts about movies, actors and similar things during the movie itself, sometimes risking to land on the plot and actually spoiling it for me..
something like "what's that actor's name again?... lemme check.. oh, he died right after making this movie..says so right here under... what happened now? I was watching the phone and missed it..oh crap... I just read who killed the victim.. :smallfrown:"

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-13, 12:57 PM
Emphasis mine.

That's one thing that's always confused me. You can use the Facebook app, or just go to Facebook in your browser. Hey! The browser even comes with a Facebook link.

Frankly, half of the apps I see are simply glorified hyperlinks designed for the express purpose of cluttering up the interface.
This (and the previous post you quoted). Oh god, so much this. Especially since it's now moving to proper computers as well: "and now, with Windows 8, you can get APPS on your pc!!!!!111!1! zomg one one!" It's so awesome, because you totally can't use a full program/web browser to do the absolutely same thing but with much better interface and multitasking.

Tablets though? Never understood them for anything beyond being a glorified (but backlit) e-reader that can go on Facebook and YouTube. Paying $400+ for that? Especially given that my phone can do the absolutely same thing, and for any work would have to be done on my laptop anyway? Sorry, but no.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-13, 03:35 PM
I'd wish they'd make cellphones that were just phones. I know at least one company does it, but its network options are over-restricted. Maybe texting because sometimes you just want to send something quick and quietly, but otherwise I just want to send voice and hear voice back.

warty goblin
2013-03-13, 03:43 PM
I'd wish they'd make cellphones that were just phones. I know at least one company does it, but its network options are over-restricted. Maybe texting because sometimes you just want to send something quick and quietly, but otherwise I just want to send voice and hear voice back.

This is virtually all my phone does, at least as far as I can tell. It does have a camera, and maybe can browse the internet. That'd cost extra, so it's easy to ignore, even assuming it can. I've honestly never bothered to find out.

noparlpf
2013-03-13, 03:45 PM

I have a flip-phone that basically just does that. It has the obligatory handful of basic applications like a calendar and a calculator, and a crappy 2MPi (I think) camera, but otherwise you just have the phone and texting. And we use one of the big companies (not that I like them).

warty goblin
2013-03-13, 04:03 PM
I have a flip-phone that basically just does that. It has the obligatory handful of basic applications like a calendar and a calculator, and a crappy 2MPi (I think) camera, but otherwise you just have the phone and texting. And we use one of the big companies (not that I like them).

I'm fairly sure it's federally mandated that everybody hates their cell phone company. Because I'm contrarian, I've decided to find mine only moderately vile.

sktarq
2013-03-13, 04:04 PM
That's one thing that's always confused me. You can use the Facebook app, or just go to Facebook in your browser. Hey! The browser even comes with a Facebook link....Frankly, half of the apps I see are simply glorified hyperlinks designed for the express purpose of cluttering up the interface.

Funny I've generally thought those were the BETTER apps. Sure there are a few that seem flat out a good idea and better due to its link to mobile tech; such as weather, shazam, emergency alerts etc. But the vast majority of apps seem to be a striped down, less informative, less interactive and overall less useful than the desktop program that inspired them. As of late it seems that the desk or laptop program that inspired an app seems to have dumbed down to the app level to provide some sort of service equality. While I hope this is simply a teething problem of the "mobile web" I'm not holding my breath.

I mentioned this discussion to a friend and she compared it to heroin. Sure when you have an ache or pain it certainly works. However it causes long term costs through addiction and health issues. While I concider her metaphor to be extreme I have to agree with the nub of it. The benifits are both visible and widely crowed while any costs are nebulous and at a later date.....Which got me thinking about costs.
After my last post here I drove home. There was an annoying traffic snarl with rubbernecking, unnessesary lane changes etc. Muttering to myself to myself I wanted to let loose by calling all the people around me (in my head) a bunch of steel, aluminium, and plastic boxed ignoramus.... suddenly I realised I didn't know the plural of ignoramus. So while I mulled over ignoramuses versus ignoramusi I mananged to get home in a buzz of entymology and lingustic thought....This only increased when I asked my girlfriend and roomate about the idea. We chatted on for a while and eventually the discussion turned to twists of events that can come from misuderstandings of words and then onto movies. This led to us both canceling our largly hermitic plans to watch movies, cook together and generally share the evening in good humour. At some point we looked up the plural of ignoramus and found it was ignoramuses not ignoramusi much to our disapointment as we all agreed the later sounded more fun. But the point is if I had just used a smartphone or smart-car-touchscreen-thingamajig to look the word up I'd have never got to the rest of the evening that we was a better one than I would likely have had otherwise.Now a smartphone isn't going to kill all such events and will certainly spawn many itself, but the question is one of comparitive rates. I asked a few people I knew about events like these and at least those that stuck in people's memories were the ones that didn't involve the little glass paneled box. Several were about having the thing be lost or otherwise unavailible. So it seemed I wasn't alone in my perception of the social COST of using a smartphone....
I was happily surprized

Flickerdart
2013-03-13, 06:20 PM
I asked a few people I knew about events like these and at least those that stuck in people's memories were the ones that didn't involve the little glass paneled box. Several were about having the thing be lost or otherwise unavailible. So it seemed I wasn't alone in my perception of the social COST of using a smartphone....
I was happily surprized
And without a computer, you'd never have been able to look it up - you'd need to go to the library and find a book. And without books, you'd have to keep talking to people until you found out. You can make the same argument for any informational technology.

Keld Denar
2013-03-13, 11:48 PM
After my last post here I drove home. There was an annoying traffic snarl with rubbernecking, unnessesary lane changes etc. Muttering to myself to myself I wanted to let loose by calling all the people around me (in my head) a bunch of steel, aluminium, and plastic boxed ignoramus.... suddenly I realised I didn't know the plural of ignoramus. So while I mulled over ignoramuses versus ignoramusi I mananged to get home in a buzz of entymology and lingustic thought....This only increased when I asked my girlfriend and roomate about the idea. We chatted on for a while and eventually the discussion turned to twists of events that can come from misuderstandings of words and then onto movies. This led to us both canceling our largly hermitic plans to watch movies, cook together and generally share the evening in good humour. At some point we looked up the plural of ignoramus and found it was ignoramuses not ignoramusi much to our disapointment as we all agreed the later sounded more fun. But the point is if I had just used a smartphone or smart-car-touchscreen-thingamajig to look the word up I'd have never got to the rest of the evening that we was a better one than I would likely have had otherwise.Now a smartphone isn't going to kill all such events and will certainly spawn many itself, but the question is one of comparitive rates. I asked a few people I knew about events like these and at least those that stuck in people's memories were the ones that didn't involve the little glass paneled box. Several were about having the thing be lost or otherwise unavailible. So it seemed I wasn't alone in my perception of the social COST of using a smartphone....
I was happily surprized

There was an episode of How I Met Your Mother that delved into this topic. Basically, that smart phones killed the bar room debate. You can't BS anyone anymore, because everyone can fact check you in 10 seconds.

Logic
2013-03-13, 11:54 PM
There was an episode of How I Met Your Mother that delved into this topic. Basically, that smart phones killed the bar room debate. You can't BS anyone anymore, because everyone can fact check you in 10 seconds.

As it should be.

Othesemo
2013-03-14, 12:00 AM
As it should be.

Oh, come on. It's one of the most amusing pastimes to have been invented.

Raimun
2013-03-14, 12:04 AM
Smart phones are awesome. At least the one I have is awesome.

The only thing wrong with them is the short battery life. You have to recharge them constantly, if you do any of the stuff you got the smartphone for in the first place.

I want a smartphone that can go for at least 24 hours straight, while browsing the internet, listening to music and playing games the whole time. I have spoken.

Cheesegear
2013-03-14, 12:06 AM
About a year ago, I thought to myself, "I'm never going to use a smartphone." because all's I wanted was a phone that did text messages and make calls, and any phone does that. And DumbPhones cost a whole lot less...So I never got around to getting a SmartPhone.

But, then I was given a (fairly terrible) one for work. It was amazing. Except, I also knew for a fact that I had a terrible smartphone, and even then, still amazing. So as soon as my current work-phone-contract was up, I immediately went and got one for myself...Except a good one.

I guess if all you want is a phone, a SmartPhone isn't going to be particularly useful for you over a DumbPhone that costs a whole lot less. But for people who use their phones as laptops-in-their-pockets as well as phones; It's pretty much invaluable.

Astral Avenger
2013-03-14, 12:17 AM

Oh no, I can definitely BS people. It helps that I can put some sort of semi twisted logic behind my assertions that you aren't going to notice unless you have a good grasp of physics or debate and I try and stick to vaguely reasonable things.

Then again, there was that time that I convinced 4 people that I was allergic to the color purple. That was a fun 4 days :smallcool:

on topic, I have a Samsung Gravity III (or something that sounds similar, its basicly a brick with a slide-out keyboard) and it is pretty dang durable. Dropped it from a backpack while biking at 25mph and it still works fine. Dunked it in water once or twice and once it dried out, still worked fine. I can call, I can text, I can take crappy pictures and I have a paperweight. Its almost as many functions as a swis army knife.

Logic
2013-03-14, 12:37 AM
Oh, come on. It's one of the most amusing pastimes to have been invented.
I'm a trusting, gullible, good-natured person that values honesty. I HATE BS-ing.

Othesemo
2013-03-14, 01:10 AM
I'm a trusting, gullible, good-natured person that values honesty. I HATE BS-ing.

Well, naturally. If people of those descriptors didn't exist, there wouldn't be a point to it.

Remmirath
2013-03-14, 01:33 AM
I don't care so much about how fragile or not fragile they are (and from only what I have observed they seem no more fragile than most phones), but I dislike smart phones.

The only reason I have a cell phone even is so that I can do things such as call a tow truck if my car breaks down. I'd rather carry a device that I'm not too fond of around than have to count on finding a pay phone or what in that case. It sometimes comes in handy if I have to get a ride some place to let the people giving me a ride know when I'll be done, and that kind of thing. Texting I sometimes employ if I'm in a place where I need to communicate something but shouldn't speak (letting somebody know to pick me up when I'm backstage at the theatre, for instance).

If not for those things, I'd still use the land line exclusively, and I prefer to be called and definitely to make calls on the land line. I don't even really want the possibility of constant communication; I prefer to be unreachable at times, and not have to deal with communicating with others.

My biggest problem with smart phones and tablets is how they are used, in that many people who have them seem to check them and use them constantly, even during one or two minute lulls in a conversation or activity. I find this very obnoxious.I have no problem with smart phones and tablets existing, or people using them. That's great if they like them. It would be nice if they weren't completely glued to them, though.

I also really don't want to see a lot of their features in other places (touch screens I find particularly loathsome for doing almost any task), and I personally dislike the general interface style they have strongly.

I can't think of a single thing other than making and receiving calls or messages that I wouldn't rather do on my computer than a smaller device, so I doubt that I'll ever get a tablet. I won't get a smart phone unless it becomes necessary for some reason, which I hope it does not, because I do not believe that it should.

factotum
2013-03-14, 02:53 AM
I want a smartphone that can go for at least 24 hours straight, while browsing the internet, listening to music and playing games the whole time.

Have fun carrying your phone's battery around in a suitcase. :smallwink:

The Succubus
2013-03-14, 04:20 AM
There is one thing I dislike about smartphones and I can pretty much summarise it in one sentence.

"Guys, which OS is better? iOS or Android?" *

...and then watch as even the most civil and tranquil of forums becomes a battleground of fanboy & fangirl angst.

* The correct answer, of course, is Windows Mobile 8 (but only because you can't get Psion devices anymore :sadpanda: )

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-14, 05:03 AM
Have fun carrying your phone's battery around in a suitcase. :smallwink:
All you have to do is make the screen 1/3 smaller and the battery 2x larger, which is basically just.. a smaller, fatter phone of similar weight.

JeminiZero
2013-03-14, 05:58 AM
I like my Android. I don't use it for much, mostly calls/texting/calendar. Once in a while I check internet on the go (e.g. any nearby shops selling what I want). Like Keld, I fnd the GPS VERY useful when exploring new areas (although doesn't happen often for me).

I especially like how Google syncs my Calendar and Contacts to my email. It makes switching phones far less of a pain. And let me tell you, managing contacts and calendar is waayyyy easier when done on a PC interface, rather than a tiny fiddly phone.

As far as fragility goes: My previous android was the very first ever made: HTC G1 Dream. Its over 4 years old now, and still going fairly strong (OK, the 'p' button on the slideout keyboard is a little wonky). I passed it on to another family member who is STILL using it now. YMMV

My phone current is a cheap make and model that cost ~USD $200 without contract, but it came with free screen protector and casing. Beyond being dropped a few times, its not taken any sort of real abuse, so its been going good for the past 6 months.

All in all, one of Android's strong points is platform variety. If you want an ultra-tough phone, let the companies know! One of them might put something out. I know Sony already has Android phones that are water and dust proof.

Aedilred
2013-03-14, 07:38 AM
So while I mulled over ignoramuses versus ignoramusi I mananged to get home in a buzz of entymology and lingustic thought....Although "ignoramuses" is correct (it derives from the verb form, not the noun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs)), if it were derived from the noun, it would be "ignorami", rather than "ignoramusi" - the stem would be "ignoram-" with the "-us", "-i" etc. endings applying on the basis of case, number, etc.

My biggest problem with smart phones and tablets is how they are used, in that many people who have them seem to check them and use them constantly, even during one or two minute lulls in a conversation or activity. I find this very obnoxious.I have no problem with smart phones and tablets existing, or people using them. That's great if they like them. It would be nice if they weren't completely glued to them, though.

YES. This applies to the "bar room debate" thing too to an extent. Even if I'm talking nonsense, it's still pretty rude for other people to be googling me while I'm talking.

noparlpf
2013-03-14, 07:52 AM
I happen to like that a conversation can span multiple days because I have to wait to get home to look something up.

Socratov
2013-03-14, 08:08 AM
just relaying my personal feelings on smartphones:

I love them. I would be lost without mine (suffered a mini heartattack becuase mine almost refused to charge) and here's why:

It's my agenda
It shows me when and where I have school without any effort
I can call people with it (I do this frequently, more then texting)
it functions as my alarmclock
camera
navigation when I'm sonehwere foreign (quite nice)
Public Transport timetables/trip planning
emergency internet connection (this has saved me more times then not)

Coupled with the fact that I more or less live out of a suitcase this greatly enables me to carry all sorts of stuff I'd normally need tons of space (and indeed money) for. As well, as having an agenda I pretty much can't lose (yay cloudbased living)! For me a smartphone enables me to have just about the greatest amount of freedom I could need. Coupled with a tablet (the UI isn't that bad, 10 minutes and all it's secrets were unfurled) for my studybooks I have no problems being very mobile as a student. (and Yeah, I use my tablet mostly for books, some study, some not). Added nicety: the books are about half as expensive in e-book, saving me money and space simultaneously (2 months ago this saved me for 1 quartile of education about €100 in studybooks, let alone all the other books I read).

I also agree with JeminiZero, google is really nice about switching phones by syncing everything (before you whine about privacy, I have nothing interesting for governments and if I have to suffer a little bit of ads for free superb service then so be it (adblocker+).

Flickerdart
2013-03-14, 09:46 AM
Smart phones are awesome. At least the one I have is awesome.

The only thing wrong with them is the short battery life. You have to recharge them constantly, if you do any of the stuff you got the smartphone for in the first place.

I want a smartphone that can go for at least 24 hours straight, while browsing the internet, listening to music and playing games the whole time. I have spoken.
Supercapacitors (http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/whats_the_role_of_the_supercapacitor) to the rescue. Major strides in battery tech are being made as we speak.

Socratov
2013-03-14, 09:56 AM
Supercapacitors (http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/whats_the_role_of_the_supercapacitor) to the rescue. Major strides in battery tech are being made as we speak.

Can't wait until the commercial use of graphene in mobile phones

Rawhide
2013-03-14, 10:08 AM
The iPhone is very prone to breaking, case or without a case.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-tests-show-very-durable-device-and-screen/

http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why-apple-is-killing-off-the-bumper-and-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

Another thing. iPhone Death Grip. (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/iphone-4-death-grip) This is why I don't want this nice thing.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/iphone-4s-seems-to-fix-death-grip-antenna-issue/

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2010/07/29/tips-for-a-great-iphone-reception/
("Blue Tick equivalent coverage" in article and "have been trying to replicate the fault but have been unable to" by the employee in comments).

http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why-apple-is-killing-off-the-bumper-and-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

JeminiZero
2013-03-14, 11:10 AM
All in all, one of Android's strong points is platform variety. If you want an ultra-tough phone, let the companies know! One of them might put something out. I know Sony already has Android phones that are water and dust proof.

As a follow up, I decided to check whether there ARE purpose-built tough Android phones on the market. Turns out there are already several (http://androidandme.com/2012/08/smartphones-2/whats-the-best-android-phone-for-outdoors-enthusiasts/), with even Caterpillar getting in (http://www.t3.com/news/cat-launches-b15-rugged-android-phone) on the action.

Raimun
2013-03-14, 12:50 PM

Oh yeah. I've heard of this. We still have to wait some time, though.

Still, Tony Stark should already bring his arc reactor to the masses.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-14, 03:41 PM
There is one thing I dislike about smartphones and I can pretty much summarise it in one sentence.

"Guys, which OS is better? iOS or Android?" *

...and then watch as even the most civil and tranquil of forums becomes a battleground of fanboy & fangirl angst.

* The correct answer, of course, is Windows Mobile 8 (but only because you can't get Psion devices anymore :sadpanda: )

The correct answer is "don't buy anything from Apple unless you really want a Mac".

Trust me, I bought the iPad 1. I've been there. Now it's over six hundred dollars for a portable DVD player that doesn't even take DVDs. All I have is Avatar: The Last Airbender on it. Well, Legend of Korra too, but I hated that.

noparlpf
2013-03-14, 03:50 PM
The correct answer is "don't buy anything from Apple."

Fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2013-03-14, 05:33 PM
Windows Phone, not Windows Mobile. WinMo ended with version 6.5. Also, while the OS may be incredible, and the handsets comparable to the iPhone and Android's top-end stuff, the app support is not nearly good enough yet.

Aedilred
2013-03-14, 07:38 PM
The correct answer is "don't buy anything from Apple unless you really want a Mac".
Meh, I've always liked the iPod, although I do wish they'd update the firmware so that the sorting display matches the corresponding iTunes account.

Castaras
2013-03-14, 07:47 PM
I like my smartphone, because it lets me listen to music, text, and call people.

Other stuff is a bonus. I go for phones which are cheap, and I'm good at learning new tech, so it didn't take me long to work out what to ignore on my phone. I don't care one way or the other, so long as it's reasonably priced and does what I want.

sktarq
2013-03-14, 08:52 PM
And without a computer, you'd never have been able to look it up - you'd need to go to the library and find a book. And without books, you'd have to keep talking to people until you found out. You can make the same argument for any informational technology.

True but the key difference here is that with a smartphone it's near instant gratification. If I looked it up in my dictionary that sits above my computer or typed it in (as I did) I had to go out of my way to find out that info. The difference there was minimal. It was a about reflection and how much of an antisocial bubble I could live in without putting effort into that goal. The change is the chance to reflect on it. And like many things it's a matter of a sliding scale-its not if a given outcome is possible or impossible based on the existence of certain pieces of technology (which will almost always lead to MORE outcome being available) but how often positive versus negative ones occur. Just like some storytelling game system work better for roll or role playing. It is certainly possible to do either in almost any system but it can take a lot more effort in some to have a kind of game that medium isn't suited for. Smartphones are like an update to old game system which shift how easy one or the other kind of game is to create and play. Both are still possible but by changing the path of least resistance it changes the nature of the stories told. This update to our society seems to be making us LESS social instead of more-it makes it easier to stay in our bubble and only see things we've chosen to see.
As for barroom debate I've found little change. But then again it's just about looking for sources that support your argument since the internet is just full of BS knowing where to find the BS that supports your point-and choosing to debate what this or that MEANS not what a given set of facts are.

Logic
2013-03-14, 09:45 PM
Well, naturally. If people of those descriptors didn't exist, there wouldn't be a point to it.

I'm also fairly intelligent* and am usually able to suss out the obvious (and not so obvious) lies quickly based on the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.

*Though in my experience, above-average-intelligence is the norm in the case of pen & paper gamers, and I assume most of this forum's population belongs to this category and my statement of this fact is not an exercise in ego, but rather one of belonging.

Back to the original topic:
I am guilty of plenty of social faux pas for using my smart-phone in social situations. I am much better about the issue now that the deficiency has been noted, though I still occasionally find myself checking my social media and whatnot during the usual lulls in conversation.

On the other hand, I like what they have to offer. GPS, info at your fingertips, games, photographs, plus the typical features of a phone means I have only one device to carry in my pocket, not 3 or more (Phone, portable gaming system, media player, etc.)

However, I have no place in my heart for tablets. To me they fill a niche that I have no desire for. They can be categorized as oversized smartphones that cannot make phone calls, or undersized laptops that don't have the processing power to do what I need of a PC.

valadil
2013-03-14, 10:00 PM
hey're ridiculously priced miniature computers that are more fragile than emotions, and are needlessly complicated.

The iPhone is very prone to breaking, case or without a case. I brought my iPod Touch to school so I could Bluetooth with my buddies. They kept noticing the scratch I got on the side. A very superfluous damage. And other people kept telling me, "Get a case. It will protect it." Yes, because I was careless with it once, and I will continue to be careless.

That hasn't been my experience. Been on an iPhone since 3g and haven't had any real damage. I'm generally pretty careful with it, but my son isn't and the phone gets dropped once or twice a week. Still fine.

PallElendro
2013-03-14, 10:25 PM
That hasn't been my experience. Been on an iPhone since 3g and haven't had any real damage. I'm generally pretty careful with it, but my son isn't and the phone gets dropped once or twice a week. Still fine.

Superfluous meaning it did not interrupt the operation. It's just a paint chip.

Othesemo
2013-03-14, 10:29 PM
I'm also fairly intelligent* and am usually able to suss out the obvious (and not so obvious) lies quickly based on the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.

*Though in my experience, above-average-intelligence is the norm in the case of pen & paper gamers, and I assume most of this forum's population belongs to this category and my statement of this fact is not an exercise in ego, but rather one of belonging.

Good on you. I will point out, however, that perceiving oneself as incapable of (or resistant to) being tricked or manipulated does make it much easier for others to do so.

Grinner
2013-03-14, 10:36 PM
Good on you. I will point out, however, that perceiving oneself as incapable of (or resistant to) being tricked or manipulated does make it much easier for others to do so.

They do need the acuity to actually notice and play on that perception, however. Otherwise, they'll just try the normal tactics. That, or the perception itself creates a false sense of security.

Logic
2013-03-14, 10:42 PM

I have to say that it depends on the type of lie. A personal lie (I used to be roommates with Felicia Day, and we totally made out and stuff!) is not something I can prove or disprove, (however, I would be thinking that this particular lie is a fantasy spoken aloud.) But if you tell me something that I can factually check I am not any more inclined to believe you in the first place. It also depends on the presumptuousness of the lie, how likely it fits in the realm of "gossip" and other such factors. While I may be gullible, I have had training as a door-to-door salesman*, and understand the art of lying better**.

*For the record, I have been both a seller of vacuum cleaners and kitchen cutlery, and I was not successful at either because I was too honest. And I won't say the company names here, but chances are, you have had experience with at least one of these companies.

**As much as I loathe it, I know how to lie.

Othesemo
2013-03-14, 10:56 PM
I have to say that it depends on the type of lie. A personal lie (I used to be roommates with Felicia Day, and we totally made out and stuff!) is not something I can prove or disprove, (however, I would be thinking that this particular lie is a fantasy spoken aloud.) But if you tell me something that I can factually check I am not any more inclined to believe you in the first place. It also depends on the presumptuousness of the lie, how likely it fits in the realm of "gossip" and other such factors. While I may be gullible, I have had training as a door-to-door salesman*, and understand the art of lying better**.

*For the record, I have been both a seller of vacuum cleaners and kitchen cutlery, and I was not successful at either because I was too honest. And I won't say the company names here, but chances are, you have had experience with at least one of these companies.

**As much as I loathe it, I know how to lie.

Oh, good. Now that actually is a palpable advantage.

To clarify, when I say BSing, I refer more toward emotional manipulation than actual factual disputes. More in the vein of the jeweler who persuades you to get that diamond for your fiance, and less in that of the debater trying to support his argument with 'facts' made up on the spot (though both are arguably applicable). In the latter case, this is something that wikipedia can confirm or deny in a second. In the former case, the persuasion is a matter of values, not facts- whether or not you'll end up buying that diamond is based strictly on how convinced you are of its importance to a healthy relationship- and the jeweler may have any number of popular tricks up her sleeve to convince you of this (if romantic comedies are to be trusted, they'll probably include shaming and Keeping up With the Joneses). Though, as I mentioned, having a strong grasp of how to manipulate makes it much easier to see through the other person (which is actually why I started studying it in depth).

Grinner
2013-03-14, 11:34 PM

That's still a thing? :smallconfused: I thought they died out in the 90's?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-15, 02:07 AM
That's still a thing? :smallconfused: I thought they died out in the 90's?

Ohhh no. Door-to-door knife salesmen are still a thing. The scam is that it's like a girl scout or school fundraiser: get a guy to get some people he knows to buy it, don't care if he's still successful after that. And it works. So they keep doing it.

Aedilred
2013-03-15, 09:47 AM
I used to be roommates with Felicia Day, and we totally made out and stuff!
You too?! Wow, what a coincidence!

Octopusapult
2013-03-23, 05:11 PM
What gets me is how everything you touch all day, you immediately smear all over your $550 phone.

And when you take a call, you just rub it all over your damn face.

The same thing can almost be said about the traditional cell phones with buttons and stuff, but it's different when you're just pressing a button than it is when you literally are wiping it all over your screen turning it into the worlds most expensive napkin.

sktarq
2013-03-23, 05:26 PM
The same thing can almost be said about the traditional cell phones with buttons and stuff, but it's different when you're just pressing a button than it is when you literally are wiping it all over your screen turning it into the worlds most expensive napkin.

Sadly having worked with home decorator type people in one of the nations ritziest ZIP codes I'm sad to report that there are far more expensive napkins.
Doesn't excuse useing a mass of quality electronics that way even so.

Runestar
2013-03-28, 08:54 AM
Honestly couldn't live without my iPhone. I am an elementary school teacher here.

You are right in that they are mini-computers, and what they have enabled me to do, are basic computing stuff that I can perform anywhere and at any time, without having to sit down behind a bulky desktop.

Basic stuff like sending out email and being able to receive/respond as and when they come in (thanks to push), receiving blog notifications when pupils post stuff (I run my school's blog and need to individually vet and approve their comments first), keeping up to date with news...heck, simply being able to access the web at a moment's notice is reason enough.

Took a bunch of photos at an excursion and want to share them with my pupils? Create a shared photostream and email the link to everyone. That it takes decent photos is an added plus (one less device to lug around). I am also experimenting with making short videos of myself demonstrating math concepts (like drawing angles and shapes), edit them with the imovie phone app, to show my pupils. Beats taping the whole process, having to extract the video, import it to a PC, edit it, then export it.

Colleague needs a file or document? Chances are, it is hosted in dropbox (I back up my stuff there), so I just email them the direct link straight from my phone (no need to boot up my laptop to email). This also means I can do the heavy computing from my computer (either my macbook air when I am outside, or a 27" imac at home), and review them from my ipad or iphone (yes, I am quite the "Apple fanboy" here). :smalltongue:

I also teach from an ipad mirrored to my classroom's projector (via a macbook air running airserver). I have all the school textbooks digitised and stored in goodreader/notability (pdf annotation apps). Whiteboard apps like educreations let me effortlessly record screencasts. The flexibility of being able to manipulate the interactive whiteboard from anywhere in the classroom is simply great. :smallsmile:

They are pretty durable. I mean, I don't go out of my way to baby them, but the nature of my job means they aren't really in any danger to begin with. My iphone does have a small nick though, from the day I went jogging and chucked it into a pouch with keys and coins. :smallsigh:

Krazzman
2013-03-28, 10:16 AM
I think smartphones are a good thing. As they now try to get it into glasses and thus coming closer to shadowrun style - tech devices.

Personally I don't use it that much. But a few apps are quite nice. Tablets can be super effective while studying. Instead of having to print and haul a few powerpoint presentations to take a few notes on them... you are safe in terms of SPACE and if the Prof decides he does this presentation next week and uses another you aren't gimped for printing the "wrong" one out.

Furthermore: Google Maps is a godsend, at least for me. I am not that often in Cologne. As such I don't know where to go and basically we went shopping there and just looked up where to go next as some shops were a bit outside of the "shoppingspree-streets" that are around the Dom/Trainstation.

being able to write a message, call, listen to music, making photographs, having a portable navi and being able to browse the internet... I don't know whats not to like?
I have a HTC Wildfire... and I use it to open beer if my Beltbuckle or a Lighter aren't available right now. Still works as if its new.

Jeah, sure, how many times have you been punched in the face for such a childish and mean move?

You are my hero. As a cyclist on a college campus, pedestrians whose eyes are glued to their phones are a huge pet peeve. I've run into several people because they suddenly stopped moving or changed direction without looking around.

What was the trope called that makes the villain some sort of holy hero?

Don't get me wrong I don't like it too but that's why you have a signal on your bike. And seriously cyclists... at least in germany, drive without helmet, on the wrong side, sometimes on the street, even if there is a bike-way, ignoring traffic lights and and and...

But even if they go on your nerves... tripping those people isn't the way to go...

dehro
2013-03-28, 11:00 AM
if only apps were delivered in their final form and didn't clutter your memory with constant updates..
if only smartphones didn't suck your battery dry faster than dracula can say "listen to the children of the night"..
then yes, smartphone would indeed be perfect..right now they're mostly a necessary evil

Aedilred
2013-03-28, 01:12 PM
Basic stuff like sending out email and being able to receive/respond as and when they come in (thanks to push), receiving blog notifications when pupils post stuff (I run my school's blog and need to individually vet and approve their comments first), keeping up to date with news...heck, simply being able to access the web at a moment's notice is reason enough.
Isn't there a problem, though, that the increasing ability to send and receive email/messages/whatever in any situation leads to an ever-increasing expectation that people will be able to - and will? It becomes much harder ever to be "off-duty", regardless of whether you're in a job that actually requires you to be on-duty at all hours. Of course, this was always the case to an extent, but in the past, anyone who wanted to contact you had to invest some of their own time and energy in doing so, so often it wasn't worth doing so until the next day, or unless it was urgent. Now the vogue seems to be for managers etc. to press the forward button and expect their underlings to deal with it immediately regardless of urgency or time of day/night.

Cutting out the little steps in the chain that require minimal - but some - effort tends to lead to people becoming increasingly indiscriminate and inconsiderate with how they make use of it. All too often that lack of discrimination just makes other peoples' lives miserable.

Thirty years ago the predictions were that offices would have computers that would do all the work, and employees would only have to work half days or so, leaving more time for leisure and family life. Instead, over the following twenty/twenty-five years we became chained to our desks for ever-longer hours in large part because of the technology that was supposed to make our lives easier. And now we're putting our desks in our pockets and carrying them around with us to restaurants, movies, bedside tables, so we're never free of them... and we pay hundreds of pounds/dollars for the privilege! We're mad.

Grinner
2013-03-28, 01:25 PM
..We're mad.

Pretty much.

People have always been bound to their jobs, out of fear of starvation, homelessness, etc, but their jobs have never been able to intrude so easily into their personal lives. :smallsigh:

Luddism has its merits.

noparlpf
2013-03-28, 03:33 PM
What was the trope called that makes the villain some sort of holy hero?

Don't get me wrong I don't like it too but that's why you have a signal on your bike. And seriously cyclists... at least in germany, drive without helmet, on the wrong side, sometimes on the street, even if there is a bike-way, ignoring traffic lights and and and...

But even if they go on your nerves... tripping those people isn't the way to go...

Well yeah, two wrongs don't make a right, I just like to see them brought back to earth. In my case, I don't run into people on purpose.
I had a bell, but the clapper broke off. So now I just shout. Problem is, half these kids have earbuds or headphones on too.
And I am that rare responsible cyclist who wears a helmet, signals, stops at stop signs and lights, bikes on the right side of the road when possible, &c.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-29, 02:15 PM
Is it just me or do I see being able to reach an employee in their off time a GOOD thing?

It's extremely frustrating when you're at work (potentially on the weekend) trying to get something done, you need some information from another employee (85% of the time because he didn't do something or didn't document it) and you have to wait till Monday for him to provide you the data. I work in a lab right now, so it can be doubly annoying since a lack of timely information can potentially ruin a long-running experiment.

Also, it works both ways: nowadays it's so much easier to slack off at work and people care a lot less if you're socializing/on Facebook compared to, say, 20 years ago when offices were white collar bell-to-bell factories with drones.

noparlpf
2013-03-29, 02:43 PM
Is it just me or do I see being able to reach an employee in their off time a GOOD thing?

I dunno, do you? :smalltongue:
(Try, "Is it just me, or is being able to reach an employee during their time off a GOOD thing?")

It's extremely frustrating when you're at work (potentially on the weekend) trying to get something done, you need some information from another employee (85% of the time because he didn't do something or didn't document it) and you have to wait till Monday for him to provide you the data. I work in a lab right now, so it can be doubly annoying since a lack of timely information can potentially ruin a long-running experiment.

Also, it works both ways: nowadays it's so much easier to slack off at work and people care a lot less if you're socializing/on Facebook compared to, say, 20 years ago when offices were white collar bell-to-bell factories with drones.

That is the downside of cooperative ventures.

Aedilred
2013-03-29, 09:13 PM
As with all these things, it depends. If it's urgent, yes. If not, no.

Of course, definitions of "urgent" vary from person to person, and all too often, what the person making the call considers urgent actually isn't.

They're probably not being paid for the time it takes to receive the call, either.

factotum
2013-03-30, 02:06 AM

Yes, it may be good for *you*, but that doesn't mean it's good for the person you're trying to contact, does it? Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and imagine you're taking a nice, relaxing break, not having to think about work, and then somebody calls and spoils the entire mood asking you about stuff you shouldn't have to be thinking about!

In any case, I agree with Aedilred--you're perfectly at liberty calling me on my days off so long as you agree to pay me double time to do it. :smallwink:

Don Julio Anejo
2013-03-30, 02:38 AM
Yes, it may be good for *you*, but that doesn't mean it's good for the person you're trying to contact, does it? Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and imagine you're taking a nice, relaxing break, not having to think about work, and then somebody calls and spoils the entire mood asking you about stuff you shouldn't have to be thinking about!

In any case, I agree with Aedilred--you're perfectly at liberty calling me on my days off so long as you agree to pay me double time to do it. :smallwink:
The way I see it, barring crazy people who will call you 5 times a day to ask stuff, if I have to call someone on their day off, chances are it's their fault to begin with. There's usually no reason to call someone on a day off if everything is running smoothly unless it's absolutely urgent. And yes, I do make myself available and I don't mind if people call me as long as they text instead of calling.

And yes, I have also screwed up stuff at both my current job and my previous sales job where I had to spend tens of minutes on the phone trying to fix my mistake, fully realizing that if I was just a little less lazy, it wouldn't have happened.

Strawberries
2013-03-30, 03:04 AM
The way I see it, barring crazy people who will call you 5 times a day to ask stuff, if I have to call someone on their day off, chances are it's their fault to begin with. There's usually no reason to call someone on a day off if everything is running smoothly unless it's absolutely urgent. And yes, I do make myself available and I don't mind if people call me as long as they text instead of calling.

This, basically, in my experience. Also, when the options are: a)spend five minutes of my day off to rely some information or to fix something or b)facing a mess that would take HOURS to solve the following day, just because my colleagues have tried to operate lacking that info, I very much prefer to be called or texted on my off day. And that's the principle by which I decide if calling other people or not: if a quick bother on their day off will save them a lot of bother when they return to work, I'll text/call them. Even on their personal phones, if they don't have a company one.

Aedilred
2013-03-30, 09:15 AM
The way I see it, barring crazy people who will call you 5 times a day to ask stuff
Unfortunately, these people are all too common, and they have the same access to the technology as everyone else.

It's not just employers, either, but clients, that cause problems. There are a lot of clients out there who will call/email with every idea that pops into their head, and expect you to reply immediately.

warty goblin
2013-03-30, 09:20 AM
So as a person who helps undergrads with their statistics homework, I can register hatred of smartphones on a previously unmentioned axis: people using them as calculators. For some reason, be it the difficulty of accurate typing, or the weird ass order of operations they often seem to use, people seem to get the wrong answer via smartphone calculator all the time. Drives me nuts when I get some poor confused person convinced they have no idea what's going on in the class because they can't get the right numbers.

sktarq
2013-03-30, 01:39 PM

As to the first. Yes within reason. The ease of cell phones does allow for oversights and quick lookup more possible. However, the standard of what makes a call nessesary has dropped in many situations to levels that are unnesseary. Furthermore-5 minute calls are one thing but sending out the email reports, spreadsheet files, and anything else that requires analysis has become common with the rise of "SMART" phones and now tablets etc. That's flat out something that should be done at work. Also with access to ones work documents many bosses now expect people to access their work doc and do work whenever an idea comes to them or whatnot....vacations included. It's more a social expectation and pressure. Those people who are commited to the company will be promoted, feted etc and they show it by doing work in their off hours at home etc.
As for the second-socializing at work etc. There used to be a firm work/non-work time boundary. Once phone calls and email started to blur that boundery there was bound to be leakage the other way. And as for drones at work...funny but thats largely what I see at cafes, parks, apartments etc where few are talking and everyone is on their touchscreens.

Xuc Xac
2013-03-31, 12:21 AM
I don't get the hatred for people in public using their phones to communicate with people that aren't within shouting distance. I use my phone all the time for texting friends across town or in other countries. I check Facebook, Google+, and Twitter to keep up with family and friends and even some celebrities that I've never had the opportunity to meet in person but regularly exchange ideas and jokes with (there are a surprising number of famous authors procrastinating on Twitter while they work on their next novels).

Why should I talk to people just because they are geographically close to me when I have the option of talking to people that I actually like? Friends aren't real estate. As far as I'm concerned, location is pretty low on the list of things that I look for in a friend.

warty goblin
2013-03-31, 01:17 AM
I don't get the hatred for people in public using their phones to communicate with people that aren't within shouting distance. I use my phone all the time for texting friends across town or in other countries. I check Facebook, Google+, and Twitter to keep up with family and friends and even some celebrities that I've never had the opportunity to meet in person but regularly exchange ideas and jokes with (there are a surprising number of famous authors procrastinating on Twitter while they work on their next novels).

Why should I talk to people just because they are geographically close to me when I have the option of talking to people that I actually like? Friends aren't real estate. As far as I'm concerned, location is pretty low on the list of things that I look for in a friend.

If we're talking random people, go right ahead. If we're talking somebody who's specifically made time in their day to meet with you in person, I suggest developing some rudimentary manners and setting the phone down.

noparlpf
2013-03-31, 08:29 AM

If you're not walking/driving/whatever while staring at the screen, great. If you're moving while looking at the phone, that pisses me off because it's more difficult to navigate through a crowd of zombies who don't react to things in front of them.
Edit: ...or to sounds, for the large proportion of them with headphones or earbuds in.

sktarq
2013-03-31, 03:39 PM
I don't get the hatred for people in public using their phones to communicate with people that aren't within shouting distance.... .... As far as I'm concerned, location is pretty low on the list of things that I look for in a friend.

That's fine. However the people around those on the phone, since we are talking about doing this public, are people too. Who make up part of the community that has to live with the phone user. While these bonds are massively weaker than the bond of friendship they still exist. Normally to manage these relationships we have things called "good manners". Many people have had highly negative experiences with those who are on a phone or smart phone using social apps that lead them to make a large number of social faux pax-such as talking very loudly to be heard through a bad connection irregardless of the disruption to those physically around you, making people wait while you handle a "very important communication" which is notorious at bars and coffee shops for delaying service to other patrons, walking like an inattentive rhino through a publicly used space with little or no attention being paid to the others users of that space so that the space may used easily by all (nearly running into people and making them dodge the phone user for example). There are a thousand small social cues that people use to communicate with others around them (much of this has to do with what we call a "culture" is based on these social rules). These "rules" of common understanding act as a lubricant for day to day interaction with people who you do not even talk to half the time. They ease the sharing of space and resources of a territorial and social species. When on a phone, especially with earbuds, or on a social media device people insulate themselves from reciprocal reactions and ignore social expectation. This causes others to have to deal with them in some fashion-even it is just having to pay extra attention to where that person is going so that the non phone user doesn't get bumped into or have to put these move away from a loud conversation that normal non-verbal social pressures can do little to calm. A single person's use of tech often means that many around them have to pay a small but extant price in terms of annoyance, attention, and time for their action. Many people feel that making them pay that price is unfair. Does it have to be this way? Of course not. But does it happen enough that people expect it- yes.
In short, while not a requirement, using social technology that way turns many people into a rude annoyance. This happens enough that people associate the behavior of the public use of such tech with being annoyed from the expected rude behavior. Thus the hate.

Now cell phones in general cause allot of this problem, however many of these cues especially those with whom one is not expected to talk can be managed through non verbal cues and are vision based. When a smartphone is involved the counter parties to the smartphone user can not be assured that that smartphone user saw their signals of intent or has even seen them in order to know to signal their intent in various situations. As humans are highly visual creatures this loss of sight based signaling is more annoying (as it is used to communicate with a broader audience for a lower social cost of peaceful co-existence) than the just voice based cell phone reactions which are annoying enough. However with near two decades of experience social customs of cell phone usage are starting to grow and unspoken rules of when and where to speak on the cell phone or text are working their way into society. E-Gads the annoyance cell phones and blue tooth caused when they each went big.

warty goblin
2013-03-31, 05:56 PM
Also, if you visit a TA's office hours for help, and you ignore them to send text messages, check Facebook, etc, that TA can and will consider you a terrible student. Unless it's actually an emergency, it can probably wait until I've helped you clear up this homework question you've waited until an hour before the assignment is due to ask, or oftentimes even read.