PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Unarmed Swordsage

GreenSerpent
2013-03-12, 07:22 AM
Hello all,
I'd like a quick assessment of my build just so I can be sure I haven't made any horrible mistakes. For reference my DM's ruling on unarmed Swordsage is:

Loses armour proficiency
Loses martial weapons proficiency (gain 1 proficiency back each time Discipline Focus is gained)
Gains Improved Unarmed Strike
Gains Monk unarmed damage progression
Gains Ki Strike as a monk
Can select Monk-only feats if he meets the prerequisites

My build is below. Game starts at level 2, stats were mostly rolled for but I got half lucky on them. RACE/CLASS are NON-NEGOTIABLE. The setting is Silverymoon in winter, and survival is a major factor that needs to be considered. He's intended to be a Setting Sun focused swordsage, kind of a brawler-type. Also enchanted handwraps DO exist, so he can use those as a weapon or get his body enchanted for a greater cost.

Race: Frostblood Orc
Class: Unarmed Swordsage 2

STR: 21 (17 base)
DEX: 13
CON: 16
INT: 10 (12 base)
WIS: 14 (16 base)
CHA: 8 (10 base)

Feats:
1st: Adaptive Style
Racial: Endurance
Bonus: Versatile Unarmed Strike
Bonus: ???

Flaws: Vulnerable and Inattentive

Maneuvers Known:
Mighty Throw (SS)
Clinging Shadow Strike (SH)
Sapphire Nightmare Blade (DM)
Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
???
???
???

Stances Known:
Flame's Blessing (DW)
Island of Blades (SH)

Any suggestions?

Darrin
2013-03-12, 08:35 AM
Race: Frostblood Orc

Stay frosty.

Feats:
1st: Adaptive Style
Racial: Endurance
Bonus: Versatile Unarmed Strike
Bonus: ???

Shape Soulmeld: Claws of the Wyrm. This gives you three attacks on a full-round attack: unarmed strike (primary) / claw (secondary) / claw (secondary). Shape Soulmeld: Sphinx Claws is also a possibility, if you want to get Open Least Chakra at ECL 6 for Pounce with natural weapons.

Shadow Blade is another possibility, although your Dex is only 13 at the moment. Still, that could come up later.

Blade Meditation might be nice... unarmed strike is a preferred weapon for Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, and Tiger Claw. Both unarmed strike and claw are preferred weapons for Tiger Claw, so +1 damage on both, and a +2 untyped bonus on Jump checks, which could be handy.

If none of that appeals to you... maybe Steadfast Determination.

Maneuvers Known:
Mighty Throw (SS)
Clinging Shadow Strike (SH)
Sapphire Nightmare Blade (DM)
Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
???
???
???

Burning Blade (for flaming fists)
Wolf Fang Strike (armor spikes = 50 GP)
Sudden Leap (swift action movement)

Biotroll
2013-03-12, 02:02 PM
I agree with Sudden Leap, great stuff. Shadow Blade Technique is great two, two rolls for to hit are always nice. Charging Minotaur can be fun, depending on your style of play. I would personaly pick Hunter's sense over Flame's Blessing but that is personal decision imo. I like to have something out of combat though, and scent it is nice.

As was also said, Shadow blade is nice and has good potentional to grow if you do invest in Dex.

Also, handbook for more ideas: Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259783)

Mcdt2
2013-03-12, 04:57 PM
Not sure if it will work thematically with your character, but I absolutely love the Shadow Sun Ninja, also from ToB. It advances monk abilities, and is themed around accepting the evil inside you and still remaining good, and gets powers that are based on the duality of light and dark. Focused on the Setting Sun and Shadow Hand disciplines, too.

I think I plug SSN too often, it's probably my favorite PrC ever. Doesn't fit every character, but I always seem to try to get it to anyway :smalltongue:

GreenSerpent
2013-03-12, 05:15 PM
I agree with Sudden Leap, great stuff. Shadow Blade Technique is great two, two rolls for to hit are always nice. Charging Minotaur can be fun, depending on your style of play. I would personaly pick Hunter's sense over Flame's Blessing but that is personal decision imo. I like to have something out of combat though, and scent it is nice.

As was also said, Shadow blade is nice and has good potentional to grow if you do invest in Dex.

Also, handbook for more ideas: Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259783)

Frostblood Orc = vulnerable to fire. So some resistance to mitigate any incoming fire spells/attacks is always nice if we run into anything fiery. Plus he has some ranks in Survival (for general usefullness to the rest of the party who CAN'T walk naked in a blizzard) and I might see if I can get the DM to allow a "quest" to gain the Track feat free-of-charge.

Godskook
2013-03-12, 05:18 PM
1.What's your DM's ruling on how TWF interacts with unarmed strike? I've seen it go both ways, but I think it should work as expected.

2.Improved Natural Attack, by precedent, works with unarmed strike via the item Fanged Ring. Unless your DM disagrees, pick it up as a feat(or item, at your choice).

3.A primary Swordsage has little interest in gaining additional claw attacks, and has in-class ways of gaining pounce if he ever needed it. This is one time where meldshaping isn't particularly useful, Darrin(I think that maneuver is in-class).

4.Generally, you prefer building Dex-based Swordages for their ability to double-dip AC while still getting all the benefits of Str-based swordsages. Your racial choice makes this...difficult sadly, but if you're allowed to re-adjust them, I'd use this instead:

STR: 17 (13 base)
DEX: 17
CON: 16
INT: 10 (12 base)
WIS: 14 (16 base)
CHA: 8 (10 base)

You still get your Str to damage, and can lean on it for to-hit until lvl 3 as well. By then you can have both Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade, and you're AC will 2 higher starting and with reasons to focus Dex over Str, you'll be able to stay safer while still prioritizing your to-hit numbers. Your stat to damage is going from +5 to +6 at lvl 2(+2 to +4 on an offhand attack if your DM says ok to TWF working with unarmed strikes, which imho, he should), and your overall stat-dependance as you level is much, much smoother.

5.What's your DM's ruling on the Swordsage Wis-AC class feature? The way its worded, you lose it if you don't wear armor, but this wording is just non-sensical in context.

mattie_p
2013-03-12, 05:20 PM
and I might see if I can get the DM to allow a "quest" to gain the Track feat free-of-charge.

The normal quest to gain the Track feat is to dip Ranger. :smallwink:

GreenSerpent
2013-03-12, 06:15 PM
The normal quest to gain the Track feat is to dip Ranger. :smallwink:

Yes, well, the DM seems reasonable. Plus it's not a gigantically powerful feat, and it'd make sense for him to gain it after a while training.

As for the stats yes I can readjust them, and I'm asking the DM about TWF and Unarmed Strike. What's the source for the Fanged Ring please?