PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Good Low-Level Horror Creatures

BigKahuna
2013-03-12, 07:44 AM
This is a DM-only thread so if your name is Tom or Michael and you are currently playing an E6 Pathfinder Game in a victorian setting, now is the time to leave.

I'm a new DM who is running an E6 Pathfinder Game for a party of 2. The party consists of a Level 3 Flowing Monk, a Level 3 Magus and the Magus' Vanaran (awakened monkey) butler who is not designed for combat. While I have managed to minimize the problems caused by a two person party through setting the campaign in a largish city with a pulp/western feel, I promised there would be some horror elements in the game and I'm having a tough time coming up with any suitably horrific monsters that fit into my urban setting and won't demolish my players. So far I've used a werewolf and a bunch of modified vampire spawn, but I'm looking for more suggestions.

While I am looking for suggestions for new monsters, I also need some help executing my current plan for the next session, which involves reworking an Attic Whisperer (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/attic-whisperer) to make it a challenging, but winnable encounter for this party of 2. So far my thoughts are to lower the save DCs to 14 or 15, take off two Hit Dice, reduce its AC to 17 and lower its base attack bonus to +2. Is this enough, too much, or am I likely to be looking down the barrel of a TPK?

Ardantis
2013-03-12, 08:44 AM
Try the Vargouille. It's a CR 2 winged flying disembodied vampire head. It has a poison bloodsucking bite, a paralyzing screech, and can give helpless opponents a "kiss" which will turn them into Vargouilles (but the process can be interrupted with daylight.)

Super scary, kinda gross, opportunity to save NPCs/watch NPCs be mutilated and turned into monsters.

Weird thing is they're classified as Outsiders, not Undead.

stack
2013-03-12, 08:54 AM
Haunts are fun, too. not actually monsters, but can be very creepy if done right. That party won't have any easy bypasses either.

Dissonance
2013-03-12, 12:04 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/soulbound-doll

walking dolls that carry a shredded piece of a soul that attack with little daggers and some nasty magic dependant on alignment. Throw a bunch of them at the PCs and watch them squirm.

another alternative is to add a complete underground section to the city and send them tehre. Underground horrors are a dime a dozen.