PDA

View Full Version : Redmountain Gate...

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-12, 09:04 AM
I wonder what Dorukan's rift is looking like these days. I mean Soon's was the smallest and look how much it tore open and Dorukan's was the biggest to BEGIN with.

I wonder if we'll ever revisit for any purpose? Maybe all of the Redmountains are a glow with purple haze and cracks? It'd be interesting.

Ellye
2013-03-12, 10:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

The rift was left untended. And it's probably huge.

zimmerwald1915
2013-03-12, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

The rift was left untended. And it's probably huge.
It's also buried under a mountain's worth of pulverized rubble. Which has dire implications for life on the planet-within-the-planet, come to think of it :smalleek:

deworde
2013-03-12, 10:30 AM
It's also buried under a mountain's worth of pulverized rubble. Which has dire implications for life on the planet-within-the-planet, come to think of it :smalleek:

To be fair, at that distance, even if what would probably be a mountain sized asteroid actually went through, what'd actually hit the ground would probably be less than what went on in Russia a few weeks ago.

Olinser
2013-03-12, 10:32 AM
I wonder what Dorukan's rift is looking like these days. I mean Soon's was the smallest and look how much it tore open and Dorukan's was the biggest to BEGIN with.

I wonder if we'll ever revisit for any purpose? Maybe all of the Redmountains are a glow with purple haze and cracks? It'd be interesting.

I was under the impression that it only got that big because Redcloak was messing with it.

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-12, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression that it only got that big because Redcloak was messing with it.

Messing with it? What exactly did Redcloak DO to the rift besides calculate it's rate of expansion? In fact, when O-Chul notes how large it's grown, Redcloak calls out the GODS for what happened.

asphias
2013-03-12, 11:40 AM
as we only have one sample, its quite hard to say how quick the other rifts will grow.

it could either be that as some assume here, the large it was when there was a gate around it, the quicker and bigger it grows.

on the other hand, it might just grow indepedent of how big it started, which would mean that it'd be about the same size as the azure city rift, or just a tad larger.

or, maybe a small rift grows way quicker then a large rift: compare it to setting off a stick of dynamite in a small wooden box, or in a big wooden room, the impact of an explosion(and oh boy, these gates did explode) is bigger if its just a small box/gate rather than a big one.

i don't think that we can make any conclusions on the size of the other rifts(we don't know anything about lirians gate either). personally i'd guess they will be around the same size as the azure city one.

Thrax
2013-03-12, 03:41 PM
That might be the biggest plot hole in OotS. Not as in "bad writing", as in "I forgot about Dorukan and Lirian's Gate and what the fate of Soon's means to them".

Vinsfeld
2013-03-12, 04:38 PM
That might be the biggest plot hole in OotS. Not as in "bad writing", as in "I forgot about Dorukan and Lirian's Gate and what the fate of Soon's means to them".

I kinda thought about it. I mean, if Dorukan and Lirian's tear(in the fabric of the universe) are, at least, as big as Soon's, I guess other people has discovered them and are trying to figure out what it is. But it feels like even the tears are hidden by plot.

XxXU2XxX
2013-03-12, 04:46 PM
Plot hole? I mean, it just hasn't been addressed yet. If the story ends and nothing comes of it, then I suppose. But as of right now, it is not a plot hole.

Thrax
2013-03-12, 04:53 PM
Plot hole? I mean, it just hasn't been addressed yet. If the story ends and nothing comes of it, then I suppose. But as of right now, it is not a plot hole.

It's a potentially crucial information that should conceivably come up given the current state of affairs, but is not coming up so unless it's mentioned, it will remain (technically) a plot hole. It's not damaging the story right now (in fact, distracting us with the fate of those rifts might be more damaging), so I don't mind it, but the technical term stands.

SavageWombat
2013-03-12, 05:03 PM
Remember, Redcloak said the rate of the rift's growth was slowing, and possibly stabilizing. Though things may be ugly around the other two gates, they're probably not continent-destroying.

And don't think Rich doesn't know the answer to the question. Maybe there are elves who can explain how "that rift over there grew for a while, then stopped, and then grew again last year, and stopped briefly before growing again."

VanaGalen
2013-03-12, 05:48 PM
No, the rifts cannot grow at the constant rate like we saw in Azure City. Had it been the case, Lirian's rift would be the size of a continent by now. I think the rifts' growth rate is probably asymptotically decreasing. We don't even know is it's the same for every rift or how the initial explosion of gate destruction influenced it.

I suppose going back to Lirian's and Dorukan's rifts would simply slow down the story too much, so their fate will probably be revealed in the end. I don't think it's a plot hole, after all the story is about the members of the Order. It can't go back to see how Katos are doing, what happened to Leeky Windstaff or how Dorukan's rift is growing - there would be no panels left for the main characters.

Ornithologist
2013-03-12, 07:10 PM
I would imagine that since Dorukan's gate destruction was because of a spell implemented by Dorukan himself, that the expansion rate of the rift is much slower. He being the guy who knows the most about the gates and the rifts. He planned on it being destroyed, to prevent its corruption.

Now, Lirian's gate? Who the heck knows? Maybe her followers are working on keeping the rift under control.

JackRackham
2013-03-12, 08:42 PM
More stress on the fabric of the universe at the time of rupture could cause it to grow more rapidly, and extensively (Like paper, cloth). We should keep in mind, as well, that Dorukan's rift, as pointed out, is under a mountain of rubble (more or less in the wilderness) and Lirian's is in the middle of what I gather to be an extensive forest. It makes sense that they wouldn't have become common knowledge.

Obscure Blade
2013-03-13, 03:06 AM
Plot hole? I mean, it just hasn't been addressed yet. If the story ends and nothing comes of it, then I suppose. But as of right now, it is not a plot hole.It's a hole in reality, and part of the plot. So yep, it is a plot hole! :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-03-13, 03:31 AM
It's a potentially crucial information that should conceivably come up given the current state of affairs,

How exactly would it come up though? Nobody the Order knows is anywhere near either of those two gates, so we don't have a character nearby to give us perspective; also, you can only scry on people in core, so even D&D rules don't give us a way to randomly check on things.

It's a hole in reality, and part of the plot. So yep, it is a plot hole! :smallbiggrin:

*groans*