PDA

View Full Version : Developing the Duergar

Gwendol
2013-03-12, 09:41 AM
This is in relation to the current journey through the Forge of Fury my intrepid adventurers are undertaking. The module is written for lower level adventurers (mine are currently levels 6-8) and so I'm toughening them.

Previous threads on this theme: (Trogs) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254177

(Orcs/Orogs) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252083

Now it is the Duergar's turn. In this module they have taken over the actual forge, though how they got there and what their goals are is not clear.

The duergar are led by a fighter 5, which is a bit underwhelming. I'm thinking to change that to ranger 8-9, possibly giving up the animal companion. It makes more sense as she's supposed to be some kind of explorer. Any other suggestions?

Next in command is a half-mad illusionist. I'm keeping the class, but add levels to Wiz 7.

Finally, there's a rogue duergar, increasing class level to 6, suggested feats being weapon finesse, twf, poison use

The duergar grunts I'm just giving standard array, fighter 4 possibly focusing on sword (axe) and board. Feats: Imp shield bash, shield charge, shield slam, power attack, shield specialization

Any suggestions? Will the wizard be a little too much for them?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-12, 01:06 PM
I'd actually vote to toss some psionics on them. Instead of the mad illusionist, try a mad telepath. And add some War Mind levels to the duergar leader to make him more potent.

Gwendol
2013-03-12, 01:27 PM
Psionics? Hmmmm. I'll look into it.

Gwendol
2013-03-13, 03:34 AM
Ok, how about this for the Duergar leader:

Ranger 3/Cleric 3/Battlesmith 2?

Ranger 3 gives her the skillpoints needed to cover the battlesmith reqs (handily), endurance, and TWF.
Cleric is good because it increases caster level, and well, it's cleric.

Now the reason for the duergar taking over the forge can be developed and become interesting, and it can also explain the presence of the wizard (need someone to cast arcane spells when creating weapons and armor).

If anyone is interested I'd gladly post the enhanced creatures I've used to run the Forge against a party level 4 through 9 (I'm guessing they end up being 9 or 10 in the end).

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-13, 01:58 PM
Finally, there's a rogue duergar, increasing class level to 6, suggested feats being weapon finesse, twf, poison use

Aren't duergar just straight-up immune to certain poisons? If so, why spend a feat on poison use when they can just use the poisons they're immune to?

Also, don't ignore the abilities of duergar - you probably don't need to raise their levels, just give them clever tactics/use of battlefield and use of their racial abilities. Or maybe some combat lizard mounts who help out...or something.

Gwendol
2013-03-14, 07:28 AM
You're right. I'll spend the feat on something else, blind fight or combat reflexes most likely.

Of course they'll use invisibility and enlarge person in combat: it'll make for interesting encounters!