PDA

View Full Version : Magic shop monopoly opinions.

Peelee
2013-03-12, 12:24 PM
I'm going to copy/paste an entirely-too-large description of one aspect of how the world works in one of my current campaigns. I'd appreciate any feedback on it, especially anything I've overlooked or just flat-out done wrong. It is still partially incomplete, but I'm hoping to get it finished pretty soon. Anyway, onto the ridiculousness!

l'm a campaign I'm currently DMing, all magic shops are part of a single monolithic chain. The main villain, a thousands-year-old lich, has hundreds of mages in his employ, making magical items. When Bob the Bard enters a magic shop in Townsville and asks for Rod of Better Magicks, Stanley the shopkeeper goes into the back room to fetch one - or so Bob is told. In actuality, Stanley writes the item's name on a piece of paper and tosses it into a Pemanencied Teleportation Circle. The circle is keyed to a massive hidden lair. The lair has a massive map of the country sprawled across the floor; each magic shop's circle is keyed to their precise location on the map. There are nine adjoining rooms, one for each school, and each school's room itself has nine adjoining rooms, one for each spell level the item is imbued with (items with multiple spells imbued are categorized by highest spell; if two or more are equal level, then alphabetically by spell name). The entire area is under a Permanencied Reverse Gravity (using a homebrewed Greater Permanency spell, the stats of which I have yet to write down), with constructs (I have yet to narrow down which type) who have two everlasting commands:
1.) To gather the paper that falls "down" to them, grab the item from the appropriate room, and toss it up to the appropriate circle.
2.) To immediately attack anyone who enters without speaking the command word (command word to be determined).

The Townsville Magic Shop is still restricted by city wealth (you wouldn't be able to buy a Scroll of Wish unless you went to Capital City or some other metropolis), and items can be priced according to "rarity" - that is, in the Deserted Desert magic shop, a Rod of Create Water would be 10,000 gold, while that same rod would be 750 gold in Waterport. This artificial scarcity is intentionally done to
a.) obfuscate the fact that all magic items are readily available from a single source (a fact not known to the general populace, or even to the shopkeeper that run the magic shops), and
b.) help keep the worldwide economy well-regulated and stabilized.

The profits average a 70/30 split, with the 70 going to the house. At the end of each business day, the shopkeeper takes the 70% and tosses it into the circle. An accountant construct (again, type to be decided) keeps a running tab on all goods being transferred to each shop, and notes any discrepancies. Any suspicious activity (constant disparities in documented profit and received profit) are magically reported to the lich via Sending scroll. All gold collected is sent to a teleportation circle keyed to a different lair, this being a vast, category room with no entrance or exit other than the teleportation circle. This is the treasury, the location of which the lich has memorized and can access at any time.

Magic shops are set up on a manner that appears competitive to foster the image that there is no monopoly. Different stores may have different prices for different schools, types of items, and the like (a magic jewelry shop could undercut others on rings and perhaps, for instance, while a magic General shop would have higher prices but a more well-rounded stock. Different stores pay different percentages to the house, house as low as a straight 50/50 cut for an "independent" newer shop starving for a survival against a larger, more corporate type shop.

All teleportation circles are warded such that incoming teleportation are both delayed and the the constructs notified that teleportation is occurring, and which specific circle it is at. This is via a homebrewed Greater Teleportation Circle; I have yet to stat it out and figure out the level, but the differences are:
α.) The range is changed to 0-ft, and no longer needs to be cast on a creature; it can be cast on an area.
β.) The area it covers is 25-ft + 10-ft/level.
γ.) The spell can be made permanent via the Permanency spell.
Finally, one (and only one) of the following effects must be chosen at the time the spell is cast:
δ.) Anyone in the Greater Anticipate Teleportation's area is aware of anyone teleporting into the spell's effected area.
ε.) The spell can be keyed to a single, specific individual, who will always be notified of any creatures teleporting in to the effected area.
The lich himself is notified of any attempts to teleport into the treasury chamber.

It's a fairly elaborate setup designed to encourage a high-magic campaign, yet with guards against an "anything you could possibly want" potentially gamebreaking magic supershop, and harsh penalties for attempted robberies (especially since the back “storage room" would appear to be cleared out at night by any burglar who manages to get into said empty room).

An important note: This is not necessarily intended for the players to ever discover. If they happen to stumble upon it and discover the sheer scope of it, they are more than welcome to do whatever they wish about it, including completely destroy the entire organization (if they can). However, I will at no point deliberately try to lead them into discovering the truth behind the magic shops, and it is never intended to be a plot point. It is merely a way for my BBEG to be ludicrously wealthy and powerful.

Gildedragon
2013-03-12, 12:40 PM
I don't see why region-limiting availability is the case here. All stores have access to the same inventory.
If to limit the cash flow to any given town... Well that's a byproduct of the system. Or shopkeepers may get a fixed pay per item and they deposit the transaction gp into another tp circle

Peelee
2013-03-12, 12:55 PM
I don't see why region-limiting availability is the case here. All stores have access to the same inventory.
If to limit the cash flow to any given town... Well that's a byproduct of the system. Or shopkeepers may get a fixed pay per item and they deposit the transaction gp into another tp circle

The region-differential is due to that the stores don't know they all have access to the same inventory. The public perception is that there are several major groups or guilds that run the competing chains, as well as independent, regionally-controlled shops. As such, items that can be perceived to be more valuable based on local variations are listed as more valuable to those locations.

I think I like the idea of the separate circle for funds, but I think that may needlessly complicate the teleportation chain (since the dedicated accountant construct would be keeping inventory in the main warehouse, and would thus be able to also keep track of profits and any potential disparities. It may be easier to enact a separate gold circle, though, so the accountant construct isn't over-taxed (and would also have backup). A telepathic link would be useful in such scenario. I'll look into what I can do with that. Thanks!

XmonkTad
2013-03-12, 01:18 PM
I can see a hundred good fights coming from this scenario. I'm guessing evil lich guy doesn't play well with competition or people who give "discounts" when charmed.
It is a good idea, but the teleportation circle is a heavy duty thing to have just for sending a piece of paper. Perhaps Ring Gates (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_Gates) could do this job a bit better. This also lets you have mobile magic shops (caravans and such). As well as preventing infiltration. This would also confound people who might catch on to the fact that they all have the same supplier, as each one has a range of 100 miles. Maybe magic warehouses?
Of course, magic shops in the capital might have teleportation circles, but the rings idea gives the advantage allowing you to have different ring designs that would represent different guilds (even though they're all the same).
All in all, it's a cool idea.

Peelee
2013-03-12, 02:11 PM
I can see a hundred good fights coming from this scenario. I'm guessing evil lich guy doesn't play well with competition or people who give "discounts" when charmed.
It is a good idea, but the teleportation circle is a heavy duty thing to have just for sending a piece of paper. Perhaps Ring Gates (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_Gates) could do this job a bit better. This also lets you have mobile magic shops (caravans and such). As well as preventing infiltration. This would also confound people who might catch on to the fact that they all have the same supplier, as each one has a range of 100 miles. Maybe magic warehouses?
Of course, magic shops in the capital might have teleportation circles, but the rings idea gives the advantage allowing you to have different ring designs that would represent different guilds (even though they're all the same).
All in all, it's a cool idea.

The lich just controls the supply and takes a large cut from all sales. Discounts can still be given from individual shopkeeps for any reason, being charmed not the least of them.

Though I do really like the teleportation ring idea, especially the differing designs aspect. That is almost definitely going to be incorporated into the design.

Though, yeah, lots of really good fight or major heist scenarios can be planned around the setup.... if the party ever manages to ever discover it. Like I said, it's not designed to ever be a plot point they discover, but if they happen to, I'll let them run with it all day long. Well, maybe unless they infiltrate it and manage to subdue all defenses. May have to blow it up so they don't have free, unlimited magic items of whatever-the-hell-they-want...