PDA

View Full Version : Requesting assistance with a half-dragon centaur

KillingAScarab
2013-03-12, 01:34 PM
I have had the idea of playing a half-dragon centaur in my head for some time. One of the attributes of 3.x is that it can take quite a long time to "become" your character, but in the character concept I have in mind this mechanical limitation would support the narrative. My idea is that I would play a centaur using the monster class featured in Races of the Wild and upon its completion take the half-dragon template class from "Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp)." The character would first be maturing as a centaur, but upon completion, it would have (and most likely take) the option of "unlocking" draconic heritage, (of which the character is initially unaware). My current thought on how that comes about is the character's centaur mother found some way to get a powerful enough spell cast upon the character to prevent the character from being draconic. Not polymorph explicitly, but something which a DM could give some "quirks" to and perhaps provide some roleplaying opportunities. I also see green dragon as the most likely father, since centaurs could share an overlapping habitat with one.

The part I really need help on, however, is deciding what class levels or prestige class levels the character might take. Obviously, there is quite a physical bent to a character with a +16 strength adjustment, but with only four hit dice at ECL 9 and a poor fortitude save I'm wondering if something like rogue (which gives a hilarious mental image) or maybe even a spellcaster isn't a better option than something like fighter. Higher than average base speed, wings, proficiency with bowslongbows and composite longbows and a +4 dexterity adjustment help out there. Limited skill points, though (the template class doesn't increase skill points).

I do not have a DM, currently, so there isn't a particular level of optimization I am seeking. Here are the sources I have in my possession, which I would like to limit the discussion to:

Obviously
Player's Handbook, 3.5 edition
Races of the Wild
"Savage Progressions" Half-Dragon template class
d20srd.org

Other books owned
Unearthed Arcana
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Arcane
Complete Adventurer
Complete Mage
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Player's Handbook II

"Dragon Magazine" #310

Less likely to be accepted sources
Complete Psionic
Magic of Incarnum
The Book of Roguish Luck, published by Malhavoc Press

If there are some other series of articles published on Wizards.com you would point me to, I will take a look at it. I mostly want to limit discussion to things I actually have access to, as I am likely never going to expand my collection of 3.5 books beyond this.

So, who wants to show me what is possible?