PDA

View Full Version : Q: Best NAD class

8wGremlin
2013-03-12, 01:58 PM
So I was wondering what the best class that doesn't rely on a stat.

I ask due to an e6 game, where I might be playing a LA +4 race
So all my stats will be 8 + what ever the template/race gives me.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-03-12, 02:03 PM
I've never played one, but I've heard warlocks work well even with poor stats. As always, various abilities help (con for HP, dex for AC and to boost the ranged touch attacks, etc.) but you don't really need any as long as you don't pick any invocations that allow saves (which are charisma based.)

Toliudar
2013-03-12, 02:04 PM
My standard answer for NAD class would be druid (assuming you can get to a 12 in wisdom at level 1, you can probably take care of the rest with a +2 Wis magic item by the time you get to level 5-6), or dragonfire adept. For a pixie, though, I'd suggest that the stat increases it gives synergize nicely with rogue (ranged sneak attacks practically all the time, with greater invisibility), warlock or just about any arcane caster.

Eldan
2013-03-12, 02:07 PM
Binder, maybe? Physical stats are nice, as is charisma, but you don't really *need* either.

Amnestic
2013-03-12, 02:12 PM
Warlocks or Dragonfire Adepts seem to be the general consensus.

Grab a template which gives a bonus to Con(+Dex if you went Warlock) and you're sorted.

Xervous
2013-03-12, 02:13 PM
if you can swing some PP recharge loops, psion doesn't care as much about what his INT is so long as he has enough for manifesting since you have the option to blast. However, such loops require a good number of feats and a DM who won't selectively read things or complain about (such gamebreaking) things.

strider24seven
2013-03-12, 02:14 PM
If you are level 5 or higher and can eek a 13 in WIS with equipment, then Druid.
If you are level 3 or higher and have access to an INT of 12 or higher naturally I recommend Wizard (Alter Self is pretty cool for dominating combats. Troglodytes are the best humanoids , other types get better stuff).
Otherwise I recommend Warlock. The only stats that you even care about are DEX, CON, and CHA. If you are necropolitan, you only care about DEX and CHA. If you take the right invocations, you only care about DEX.

Summon Swarm is your friend.

Edit: DFA is also cool since you actually only care about CON. If you go savage vampire, that changes to CHA.

Flickerdart
2013-03-12, 02:53 PM
Barbarian is fairly ability-dependent, but considering that it boosts the abilities it's dependent on, a 1 level dip plus Extra Rage once or twice will serve you well.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-03-12, 03:59 PM
What is your LA4+ race?

The ability score adjustments may actually matter for what is viable. For example, a LA4+ race that offers a huge CON or STR bonus lends itself well to Barbarian, even if you have 0 Point Buy, but a Pixie is going to be considerably different.

Person_Man
2013-03-12, 04:39 PM
In an E6 game, any full caster can get by with 14 in their primary casting stat, as long as they don't cast spells that require a Saving Throw. Druids are particularly noteworthy, since they have Wildshape and spontaneous Summons.

And as long as you can swing a 13 Con, Incarnates can also fairly versatile via Necrocarnum Circlet (infinitely replaceable Necrocarnum Zombie, thus the six-headed hydra your party kills now becomes your perpetual six-headed hydra necrocarnum zombie minion) and a bunch of Skill and defensive abilities.

8wGremlin
2013-03-12, 04:46 PM
a couple of templates, but the one for this example is urdunnir, so +2 CON -2CHA

Normal Dwarf Stats plus

+4 vs Poison
Stone Walk(SU) - like earth glide, at will, can take others, but need to breath
Stone Shape (SU) @will as an 8th level sorcerer
Shape Metal (SU) - @will as spell, but only 5 cu', only 1/rnd

EDIT: note this is just a thought exercise at the moment

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-12, 07:17 PM
It really depends on what that +4 LA template gives you, as you should pick a class/build that compliments it well.

For example, if you go with a variant Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) based on a Goristro from FC1, you would get Str +8, Con +8, +5 natural armor, and a size increase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for an additional Str +8, Dex -2, Con +4, and +2 natural armor, assuming medium to large. You would have two slam attacks which could arguably be considered two-handed weapons, and See Invisibility, Spider Climb, and Fear spell-like abilities substituted for what a Half-Fiend would otherwise normally get. Put it on a race like Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) and you'll have Str 28, Dex 6, Con 22, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 6, and +7 natural armor, with two attacks/round that get full BAB to hit and get 1.5 Str to damage plus 2:1 Power Attack.