PDA

View Full Version : Twin Knights

Fyermind
2013-03-12, 02:10 PM
How does Test of Mettle Interact with itself? If two different Knights Test Of Mettle a character and it fails both saves, but cannot target both of them at once, can it attack anyone? Can it attack one but not the other?

TopCheese
2013-03-12, 03:12 PM
4e to the rescue!

No but seriously, in 4e there are things called "marks" which work somewhat like test of mettle (except it doesn't really force the enemy to attack just makes it in the enemies best interest to attack).

If a new mark is placed on a creature that already has a mark on him then the old mark is superceeded by the new mark. Essentiall they don't stack and the newest one takes priority.

Anything else would get silly/overpowered

Edit: You could lay down some difficult terrain and play pong with enemies though...

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-12, 03:16 PM
Probably default to whichever knight is closer, and if equal distance, flip a coin.

TopCheese
2013-03-12, 03:25 PM
Probably default to whichever knight is closer, and if equal distance, flip a coin.

I'm sorry what is this coin you speak of? I think it is called a d2 fellow playgrounder.

The Viscount
2013-03-12, 08:01 PM

This would be a pretty reasonable solution, honestly. I does open up the possibility for a few knights to keep someone running around while their friends snipe at him.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-12, 08:59 PM
The only way I can imagine them doing it at the same time is if it was a pair of Dvati knights(and even then, Dvati don't actually belong in a real game of D&D).

Depending on the situation, I think by RAI it would be the most recent instance of the effect would be the dominant one, favoring whoever used it second. Though I think it's totally within a DM's rights to rule that the target simply has to attack one of the two of them.

It could also depend on the wording: If it FORCES them to hit the target no matter what, then it would totally be who-done-it-last. If it just says that they suffer a penalty for not hitting the target(or have to forfeit attacks that don't target it), then it would definitely be okay to let it hit both of them.

Vaz
2013-03-12, 08:59 PM
"Whether a creature fails or succeeds on its save against your Test of Mettle, it can only be targeted once by this effect once per day."

Chaosvii7
2013-03-12, 09:21 PM
"Whether a creature fails or succeeds on its save against your Test of Mettle, it can only be targeted once by this effect once per day."

Then it's the Knight who tests them first, and only that Knight.

Speaking of, what kind of a party has two Knights?

Fyermind
2013-03-12, 09:27 PM
I am thinking of building an encounter out of two mounted Knights (4th level) and 10 mounted archers (fighter 2).

TopCheese
2013-03-12, 09:43 PM
I am thinking of building an encounter out of two mounted Knights (4th level) and 10 mounted archers (fighter 2).

I hope the party doesn't have a wizard, cleric, sorcerer, druid, or X (pick a tier 2 or higher tier class) cause this will be an easy fight.. Even without optimization.

Wind wall is a very popular choice for low level casters even if it a scroll ...

Fyermind
2013-03-13, 12:08 AM
Short of a cleric with the Air domain that is a third level spell. Not every caster ever just sits on a wind wall for a rainy day. Unless the party clumps heavily they won't all be protected by a single casting.

Since this would be against 4th level players I am not too worried. Also, encounters that are easy if handled properly is okay by me. I will make sure the archers carry lances and have functional charging power though.

babus
2013-03-13, 12:47 AM
I assumed this thread was on the concept of a Dvati Knights, and I am disappoint.

Oh well, the thread title at least gave me an idea for a new character.

Gwendol
2013-03-13, 08:32 AM
Have the knights wield reach weapons and have mage slayer (the feat). Fun times!