PDA

View Full Version : Making good use of starting gold?

iLaysChipz
2013-03-12, 03:22 PM
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to DnD as I've only done one short campaign in Pathfinder as a Ranger (which made things really easy.) But the campaign I'm entering now is a 3.5 campaign (no home brew) and I've decided to try something a little more interesting as a lvl.4 Spellthief with 1 level in Master Spy for role-playing purposes.

I'm starting with 9000 gold so I was wondering what exactly I could buy with it (ie Magic Weapons) or rather WHAT I should buy with it. As I'm fairly noob at this, any explanations would be very much appreciated :smallsmile:

I've been told pretty much every role has been filled so they just want me to make a fun or interesting character.

Asrrin
2013-03-12, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to DnD as I've only done one short campaign in Pathfinder as a Ranger (which made things really easy.) But the campaign I'm entering now is a 3.5 campaign (no home brew) and I've decided to try something a little more interesting as a lvl.4 Spellthief with 1 level in Master Spy for role-playing purposes.

I'm starting with 9000 gold so I was wondering what exactly I could buy with it (ie Magic Weapons) or rather WHAT I should buy with it. As I'm fairly noob at this, any explanations would be very much appreciated :smallsmile:

Handy Haversack: 2000gp
Anklets of Translocation: 1400GP
Any one of the many Bag of Tricks

are great things to have all the time.

EDIT: To expand on why those things, rather than weapons or armor, is that you will always find a use for them, right up to level 20. A HH will basically let you carry any amount of stuff, even bulky items, and be able to pick up items out of it without provoking AoOs.

The Anklets basically allow you battlefield control and getting out of grapples, which is always nice, plus they don't take up a normal slow so you can still wear boots and pants.

The Bag of tricks is very useful out of combat, especially the one that summons animals, as you can use it to spring traps, make a quick meal, or provide flanking bonuses to your rogue.

iLaysChipz
2013-03-12, 03:43 PM
Those all sound amazing! I love you so much lol, what books did you get those from?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-12, 03:49 PM
If you can sneak it past your DM, a Scrying Shard, Magic Item Compendium, is a steal at 1350gp. At-Will Scrying is just as good as it sounds.

Asrrin
2013-03-12, 03:54 PM
Those all sound amazing! I love you so much lol, what books did you get those from?

HH and Bag of Tricks are both in the SRD, and Anklets should be in the MIC, not sure of the page numbero ff the top of my head.

relytdan
2013-03-12, 04:07 PM
HH and Bag of Tricks are both in the SRD, and Anklets should be in the MIC, not sure of the page numbero ff the top of my head.

anklets of translocation -feet slot
MIC 71 1,400gp

bag of tricks gray
dmg 248 900gp

bag of tricks rust
dmg 248 3,000gp

bag of tricks tan
dmg 248 6,300gp

haversack
dmg 259 2,000gp

iLaysChipz
2013-03-12, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it ^^
Though I have just one question

If you can sneak it past your DM, a Scrying Shard, Magic Item Compendium, is a steal at 1350gp. At-Will Scrying is just as good as it sounds.

What is a scrying shard, please pardon my question, I'm too new at this xD

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-12, 04:30 PM
It's an extremely broken item, it allows ANYBODY to cast the spell Scrying, a spell that first comes online at 7th level, at-will from 3rd level.

Amidus Drexel
2013-03-12, 04:34 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865#post8235865) should help you.

Sr.medusa
2013-03-12, 04:43 PM
It's an extremely broken item, it allows ANYBODY to cast the spell Scrying, a spell that first comes online at 7th level, at-will from 3rd level.

Hummm, I think that it means that can be the FOCUS of any clases scrying, not anybody can cast scrying when their want.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-12, 05:43 PM
The debate rages as to what it was supposed to do, but the RAW is clear cut. At-will scrying for 1350gp.

iLaysChipz
2013-03-12, 08:43 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865#post8235865) should help you.

This helped so much, thank you xD

Also I have another question, while I was looking through complete adventurer, after each of the base classes, they have a section called starting package for a specific race. Is that all free stuff and are the skill ranks displayed also given without using skill points or is it like a recommended set?

Greenish
2013-03-12, 08:52 PM
It is a recommended set. I wouldn't recommend most of them, though.