PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranger: Stealth or Perception?

kxm
2013-03-12, 06:04 PM
I have a half-elf that I plan on playing as an archer ranger. I get the skill focus feat, and I'm undecided as to whether I should spend it on stealth or perception. My DEX modifier is 2 more than my WIS modifier, but I get +2 to perception from half-elf. So which skill is the +3 going to be more useful for?

AfroDyyd
2013-03-12, 06:49 PM
Perception is the most rolled skill in the game. How often do you expect to be hiding anyway? i find just straight out killing everything more effective :P anyway unless the entire party is stealthy i don't think stealth is too useful of a skill.

Keneth
2013-03-12, 06:57 PM
Perception. Stealth is hardly ever useful, at least not until you can use HiPS, and even then there's not much point unless you can sneak attack. Scouting is better done with animal companions or familiars as well.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-12, 06:58 PM
Perception is the most rolled skill in the game. How often do you expect to be hiding anyway? i find just straight out killing everything more effective :P anyway unless the entire party is stealthy i don't think stealth is too useful of a skill.

You can't underestimate how true this is. It really is the best skill, hands down.

karkus
2013-03-12, 07:59 PM
Probably Perception. Bear in mind how easy it is to acquire magic items that can effectively allow you to succeed in sneaking around every time.

Try on some Boots of Silence (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Silence) and/or a Cloak of Invisibility (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Invisibility_(Spell)) and call it a day.

NinjaInTheRye
2013-03-12, 08:54 PM
Perception is the easy choice between the two for the reasons that everyone has said.

There are some alternate racial traits in PF for half elves that let them swap out their Skill Focus for something that could be more handy.

Ancestral Arms lets you pick an Exotic or Martial Weapon proficiency.

Dual Minded gives you a +2 bonus on Will saves, which is very nice.