PDA

View Full Version : [PFS] Kitsune Boon

Holocron Coder
2013-03-12, 06:31 PM
So, I played two Pathfinder Society games at a convention this past weekend and earned the boon Fox-Blooded. So, that means I can shift away from my level 1 summoner to a kitsune, according to the PFS rules.

However, I'm having trouble coming up with what I feel is a viable build. I like sticking to the "fluff" of a thing, so playing kitsune immediately makes me want to stick to the lore of multiple tales, illusion and compulsion spells, etc. But to get the tails, you need to burn a feat per tail, and that's a lot of feats that need to be used elsewhere, it seems. So I'm not sure how to make that viable.

And I tried to figure out a class, but there's no strong support for anything kitsune-specific in any of the classes, really. So it's kinda looking like a Sorcerer, but I'm out of practice building one, especially in Pathfinder (what spells? what feats? Ahh!). And on top of that, a Sorcerer only gets 2+Int (+1 for favored class) per level, which is horrendously low, and means that I won't be able to keep Diplomacy, Bluff, Spellcraft, and other "party face / caster" required skills at a decent level without resorting to feats (which I'm likely to already be starved for).

So, Playground, my question is: what is a good, viable kitsune build?

Bhaakon
2013-03-12, 06:55 PM
Kitsune seems pretty bard-y to me.

Silus
2013-03-12, 09:15 PM
I managed to get me a hand-me-down Kitsune boon that I turned into a munchkined Disguise build. lvl 3 with an easy +20 bonus to Disguise (+4 Cha, +3 for class skill, +1 rank, +2 for Tools, +10 for Shapechange/Realistic Likeness).

Kitsune Rakshasa-Blooded Sorcerer with points in Disguise (trait) and Bluff.

Pick up the Vocal Alteration spell, knock out some Aspis agent, take their form (Realistic Likeness), take their voice, then just bluff your way through the rest of the scenario.

Also, Enchantment spells all the way.

Arutema
2013-03-12, 10:54 PM
I've also been sitting on a Kitsune boon, and can't quite figure out what to do with it. An enchantment-focused sorcerer seems the only thing the race excels at, and I don't have much interest in playing that type of character.

If you do choose to play such a sorcerer, allow me to recommend the undead bloodline. Now you can break the minds of all the zombies, ghouls and ghasts which inevitably appear in scenarios.

GreenZ
2013-03-13, 03:41 AM
So you want to wield the amazing magic powers of a Wizard but with the cunning of a Sorcerer and grace of a dex based class?

Well I may have just the solution for you! The Use Magic Device Mystic Theurge! :smallcool:

By becoming a UMD Rogue Mystic Theurge you can obtain a high enough Use Magic Device skill to cast from any wand even on a natural 1! By investing in the False Casting Feat nobody should ever realize that you are not even a real caster! You will have more spell slots* than even your stat-dumped Sorcerer pal could ever dream of with access to any spell ever created** making any Wizard jealous of your power! Cast Arcane Magic with one hand and Divine Magic with the other,*** nobody should ever doubt your might as a powerful Mystic Theurge!

As a UMD Rogue Mystic Theurge you will be eligible for the Rogue Talents 'Minor Magic' and 'Major Magic' to cast one 0th and one 1st spell at full Character Caster Level 3 times per day, add Sneak Attack to Shocking Grasp for more lightning than your body has room for!**** Not only will you have the magical prowess, versatility, and spell slots* of a not quite fully realized Wizard** but you will have so many skill point that you may have to invest in normally unused skills to give jobs to all of your poor homeless skill points! Full Bluff, complete Diplomacy, maximum Intimidate, all of the Acrobatics, as much knowledge as you will ever need, and of course, so much UMD you will never need to roll to cast a spell from an item ever again!

All of this can be yours for the low price of becoming a filthy rotten, selfish, egotistical rogue GREAT AND POWERFUL UMD MYSTIC THEURGE!

BUT WAIT! There's more!

As a Kitsune you are eligible for the special Kitsune Trickster archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/kitsune-trickster-rogue-kitsune), which increases your ability to lie, cheat, and manipulate become even more famous than any other UMD Rogue Mystic Theurge! In addition, you gain access to casting Charm Person once per day per every 3 levels AND can take the Magical Tail (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/magical-tail-kitsune) to gain access to even more magic power based off of the stat you already need to bully, control others, and use fake magic become famous!

Warning, UMD is not responsible for delusions of grandeur, failed Bluff checks due to high Sense Motive scores, or any injury that comes to the user of UMD.
* UMD does not actually give spell slots, if spell slots appear while Using Magic Device stop Using Magic Device and speak to a local Cleric. UMD is not to be used with alcohol, while pregnant, or while driving heavy machinery.
** UMD can only recreate spells through wands up to 4th level at minimum caster level.
*** UMD cannot be used in conjunction with dual wielding and may break the fabric of reality when two wands are activated at the same time. Discretion is advised while Using Magic Device.
**** Unless your enemy has decent HP, or has lightning resistance, or is immune to lightning, or has spell resistance. UMD does not suggest casting Shocking Grasp against enemies who are immune to lightning nor resistant to lightning and should be used cautiously against enemies larger or more powerful than the user of UMD.
Please see a Cleric if any symptoms such as nausea, heartburn, magic vortexes, or hearing the the whispers of the Elder Gods occur while Using Magic Device. UMD is not right for everyone.

Become a Use Magic Device Mystic Theurge today! :smallbiggrin:

Holocron Coder
2013-03-13, 08:41 AM
Kitsune seems pretty bard-y to me.

I was debating going bard, if only for the fact that it would give me access to 6+Int skills instead of the measly 2+Int of the sorcerer. How feat-dependent are bards in PF?

I managed to get me a hand-me-down Kitsune boon that I turned into a munchkined Disguise build. lvl 3 with an easy +20 bonus to Disguise (+4 Cha, +3 for class skill, +1 rank, +2 for Tools, +10 for Shapechange/Realistic Likeness).

Kitsune Rakshasa-Blooded Sorcerer with points in Disguise (trait) and Bluff.

Pick up the Vocal Alteration spell, knock out some Aspis agent, take their form (Realistic Likeness), take their voice, then just bluff your way through the rest of the scenario.

Also, Enchantment spells all the way.

Ha, might be do-able. Essentially depend on bluff for absolutely everything?

I've also been sitting on a Kitsune boon, and can't quite figure out what to do with it. An enchantment-focused sorcerer seems the only thing the race excels at, and I don't have much interest in playing that type of character.

If you do choose to play such a sorcerer, allow me to recommend the undead bloodline. Now you can break the minds of all the zombies, ghouls and ghasts which inevitably appear in scenarios.

Huh, I did not notice that about the undead bloodline. Didn't even think to look at it, really. That's amazingly useful.

So you want to wield the amazing magic powers of a Wizard but with the cunning of a Sorcerer and grace of a dex based class?

... Very amusing stuff here ...

Become a Use Magic Device Mystic Theurge today! :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin:

Silus
2013-03-13, 09:17 PM
Ha, might be do-able. Essentially depend on bluff for absolutely everything?

Not all that much I think. At level 3 you get the Bloodline Power to read minds once a day, so you play things right and you won't even need to roll for bluff. That's not to say that it's not useful to have.

I'd talk with the person running the game and ask them if they'd give you bonuses for 1) being in a crazy good disguise, 2) looking like an already existing person (Taking the form of an Aspis agent two rooms over for example), 3) Sounding like the person (Vocal Alteration spell) and 4) knowing some key details (Detect Thoughts Bloodline Power).