PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Beastmaster-Survivalist: Criticism Please?

Haluesen
2013-03-12, 08:31 PM
Well, here this goes. My own homebrew class that kinda mixes ranger, druid, and rogue.

The Beastmaster-Survivalist
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|1stFavored Enemy, Wild Empathy, Animal Companion|3|0|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6, Track, Combat Style|3|1|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1||3|2|0|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+4|+4|+1||3|3|1|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|2ndFavored Enemy|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Improved Combat Style, Sneak Attack +2d6|3|3|2|0|—|—|—

7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Woodland Stride, Trackless Step|3|3|3|1|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Swift Tracker|3|3|3|2|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Evasion|3|3|3|2|0|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Sneak Attack +3d6, 3rdFavored Enemy|3|3|3|3|1|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|Combat Style Mastery|3|3|3|3|2|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4||3|3|3|3|2|0|—

13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Camoflauge|4|3|3|3|3|1|—

14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +4d6|4|4|3|3|3|2|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|4thFavored Enemy|4|4|4|3|3|2|0

16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5||4|4|4|4|3|3|1

17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5||4|4|4|4|4|3|2

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Hide in Plain Sight, Sneak Attack +5d6|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6||4|4|4|4|4|4|4

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|5thFavored Enemy|4|4|4|4|4|4|4

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentrate (Con), Craft (Int),Handle Animal (Wis), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering, geography, nature, religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) Χ 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon Proficiencies: The survivalist is proficient with the dagger, sickle, light and heavy mace, club, morningstar, throwing axe, handaxe, kukri, sap, shortsword, light pick, rapier, scimitar, longbow, and shortbow (and their composite counterparts). The survivalist can use light armor but not shields.

Spells: The survivalist casts divine spells, from its own spell list. To prepare or cast a spell, a survivalist must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a survivalist’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the survivalist’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a survivalist can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Beastmaster-Survivalist. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.

Survivalists meditate or pray for their spells. Each survivalist must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a survivalist can prepare spells. A survivalist may prepare and cast any spell on the survivalist spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Favored Enemy: As the ranger, but the survivalist only gets 2 favored enemies; animal at 1st level, and beast at 10th. At every level marked with favored enemy, the bonuses on both favored enemies goes up by 2 e.i. at 10th level the survivalist has favored enemy (animal)+6 and (beast)+2.

Wild Empathy: As the druid class feature.

Animal Companion: As the druid class feature, but no animals bigger than Large size.

Sneak Attack: As the rogue class feature, but only applies to light melee weapons and any appropriate size ranged weapons up to 30 ft.

Track: As a bonus feat.

Combat Style: Like a typical ranger, the survivalist can focus on two-weapon fighting and archery. Unlike the ranger however these progress in different ways and are a bit more restricted. Once the choice of combat style is made it cannot be changed.

If the survivalist selects two-weapon fighting style, he get Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat, as long as he only wears light or no armor and only wields light weapons that he is proficient with.

If the survivalist selects the archery fighting style, he gets Precise Shot as a bonus feat, but only while wielding shortbows or longbows (including their composite counterparts) and wearing light or no armor.

Improved Combat Style: Again similar to the ranger's ability but different.

If the survivalist selected two-weapon fighting, he get Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, as long as he only wear light or no armor and only wields light weapons that he is proficient with.

If the survivalist selected archery, he gets Shot on the Run as a bonus feat, as long as he only wears light or no armor and wields a shortbow or longbow.

If the survivalist has one of the feats listed above, he may instead select a similar feat. For two-weapon fighters, it must have Two-Weapon fighting as a prerequisite. For archers, it must have Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite.

Woodland Stride: As the druid class feature.

Trackless Step: As the druid class feature.

Swift Tracker: As the ranger class feature.

Evasion: As the monk class feature.

Combat Style Mastery: Again similar to the ranger's ability but different.

If the survivalist selected two-weapon fighting, he get Improved Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, as long as he only wear light or no armor and only wields light weapons that he is proficient with.

If the survivalist selected archery, he gets Improved Precise Shot as a bonus feat, as long as he only wears light or no armor and wields a shortbow or longbow.

If the survivalist has one of the feats listed above, he may instead select a similar feat. For two-weapon fighters, it must have Two-Weapon fighting as a prerequisite. For archers, it must have Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite.

Camoflauge: As the ranger class feature.

Hide in Plain Sight: As the ranger class feature.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Well that is it more or less, at least what I have come up with. I will be adding the spell list later once I have put some more thought into it, but it will primarily be healing, nature and animal based, stealthy based spells. Think ranger spell list with a bit of expanded healing, and maybe a few of the druid's and Trickery cleric's tricks. Overall the class is intended to fill a backup roll, engaging enemies from afar or maybe in a flanking position if they wish to risk it. I wanted it not really sturdy, to make up for all the extra class features and skills. In metaness, I am kinda aiming for Tier 3 or 4.

So...what do you think, dwellers of the Playground? :smallbiggrin:

OutsiderOpinion
2013-03-12, 10:50 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but as is, this doesn't quite feel different enough from druid/ranger to merit its own full class. Given that it's called a Beastmaster-Survivalist, have you considered throwing out some of the rehashed core stuff and coming up with some original abilities? I think it would be really cool to have a Wildlands dweller class that centers around using familiars that are more powerful than normal and have some additional abilities. Maybe even allow the guy multiple familiars scaling with level (that could get overpowered really easily though, so you'd have to watch your step). Maybe if each new familiar you gained subtracted a number from your effective level for purposes of determining that familiars power. So (for example) a 12th level Beastmaster might have one familiar that functioned as the familiar of a 12th level Ranger, a second that functions as the familiar of an 8th level ranger, and one as if a 4th level ranger. Definitely needs fleshing out, but it was just a thought. I just think you would have more fun going in an exciting new direction, as opposed to throwing in stuff from three classes that already exist. Seriously though, Beastmaster sounds like a great idea for a class. I'd really like to see what this guy looks like when you're done.

Haluesen
2013-03-12, 11:15 PM
Heh trust me I'm no expert either, that's why I'm asking so desperately. :smallbiggrin: As it is I am just very happy to get a response today. And I do see what you mean. I know it is very basic and rehashed. Consider this the first draft. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for, new ideas. :smallsmile: So thank you.

As a random mention in case you don't know, there is actually a beastmaster prestige class but I didn't know that when I made this. And I haven't thought of a better name yet but yeah, I want to keep animals in the class in some way at least.

ngilop
2013-03-12, 11:35 PM
Yeah i have to say that I was expecting some kind of druid light with mroe animal companion-ness

for me i was thinking no wildshape, and like bard spell casting except you get a 2nd Animal companion at 3rd level a 3rd one at say... 10th level and a 4th one at 17th level.

Ive seen a lot of homebrew like this in my day you take 2/3 of a 3 classes and slap them togther then you get soething waay stronger than 2 of those and not as stronmg as the main one.

Haluesen
2013-03-12, 11:40 PM
Well, I'm not really intending this class to be druid-level powerful. I get overwhelmed when there are too many options so I kept this relatively simple. But so far that makes two people who mentioned multiple animals...it sounds like something I should look into. :smallsmile: I want it to be equal parts beastmaster and survivalist..so I may need to work on that first part then?

OutsiderOpinion
2013-03-12, 11:54 PM
Yeah, if you want my advice, look into the possibility of multiple familiars only if that's something you'd like to see from this class. If it is, maybe do a little research, let some ideas bounce around in your head, and then bounce them off of some other people. Don't worry too much about them being balanced yet, just figure out what you'd like to see from him.
Once you've got a bunch of cool ideas to work with, come back here and see what we've got to say. I haven't checked, but as far as I know multiple familiars hasn't been done before. Sounds like exciting new territory. It is possible, of course, that that isn't what you want from this character, in which case, far be it from me to impose upon your baby. But if you're just looking for ideas, yeah, I think that'd be fun! Go forth and be creative, good sir!

Haluesen
2013-03-13, 10:57 AM
Thank you very much. :smalltongue: Again the big reason I placed this here was to get some advice and fair criticism. I know the class is missing something but what kinda eludes me. So far it mostly seems like more animals. I'm going to wait and hope others respond to, maybe get some more ideas, then I will see what I can change with the class.