PDA

View Full Version : Class skills, and cross class skills (D&D 3.5, rules change, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-03-12, 10:45 PM
Ok, so we aknowledge 2+int skill points is never enough(except for int focused non skill monkey classes... looking at you psion). But more then that, I found the mechanic weird... what seemed to be a great way to customize a character, turned into seeing how much of a class role you could fill.

A skill monkey needs every skill point to get all the skills they need maxed. All other classes just want to snag some important skills and qualify for prerequisites.

Then their is the idea of just taking x number of skills that are maxed from level 1. This also leaves a bad taste in our mouths, as often we don't need to max all skills and have to spread them out a bit.

So my idea is a combination of the above. Each class has a set number of class skills. These are things the character needs to have maxed mechanically. Like a rogue getting search, spot, listen, move silently, and hide. These skills get max ranks every level in the class that has them as class skills.

Characters also have their own skill points. Like 4+int mod(grabbing a number out of the air), that can be spent on whatever skill strikes their fancy. These are cross class skill ranks, but they are bought the same as the current system of class skills. They can even be spent on class skills if they are not maximized(like if you are multiclassing).

This sound at all reasonable?

OutsiderOpinion
2013-03-12, 11:35 PM
An interesting idea! I'm actually working on building my own d20 engine completely from scratch (taking more than a nod and a wink from D&D, though). I may consider using something like this in my system. As for what I think of the idea itself, the only problem I see is that it takes a step away from variance from one Rogue to another. If they all have certain skills maxed, that leaves less room for Rogues to be different (I'm rather big on customization). Still, there's a reason we have Ability scores, right? And there are some definite advantages to your proposal, since it allows skill points to be used more for adding color than satisfying role requirements.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-13, 03:01 AM
You should just use Pathfinder's skills.

Razanir
2013-03-13, 08:26 AM
You should just use Pathfinder's skills.

Pretty much this.

@OP– Also, I'm not sure 1st level works how you think it does. I was always under the impression that you get 4 times as many points to spread out; it's just common practice to max out the skills

Yora
2013-03-13, 08:33 AM
The system seems to work okay.
But I also think Pathfinder skills are easier.

All skill ranks cost one skill point. If you have at least one rank in a skill and it is a class skill for any of your classes, you get a +3 bonus.

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 08:44 AM
Pathfinder skills are nice, but a lot of 3.5 and home brew is based on ranks, and assuming you have to spend 4 to start. As I don't want revise everything... yeah...

Razanir
2013-03-13, 09:11 AM
Pathfinder skills are nice, but a lot of 3.5 and home brew is based on ranks, and assuming you have to spend 4 to start. As I don't want revise everything... yeah...

*trumpet sound*

Subtract 3. TA-DA!