PDA

View Full Version : Best way to "tier" Point buy systems[3.P]

Chaosvii7
2013-03-12, 11:01 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any input on how to scale point-buy systems that (vaguely) follow the pecking order common to Pathfinder classes. I was just going to start with Tier 1 at a 20-point build and go up by 5 per tier, but I feel like that gets out of hand too fast. So I was wondering if people who have tried this(successfully or not) could help me work this out.

For reference, this is how I have tiered the classes. This is my interpretation, it holds based on my perceptions and preferences. It's also intentionally organized into 5 tiers, regardless of the actual amount of tiers.

----
TIER 1 - FULL BURST CASTERS:
*Cleric
*Druid
*Sorcerer
*Wizard

TIER 2 - FULL SUPPORT CASTERS; 2/3 BURST CASTERS:
*Oracle
*Witch
*Magus
*Summoner

TIER 3 - 2/3 BURST CASTERS;1/2 CASTERS:
*Bard
*Alchemist
*Paladin
*Ranger
*Inquisitor

TIER 4 - HARD MELEE;TANKS:
*Barbarian
*Fighter
*Cavalier
*Samurai

TIER 5 - SOFT MELEE;SKILLMONKEYS:
*Rogue
*Ninja
*Monk

----

What do you think?

SowZ
2013-03-12, 11:13 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any input on how to scale point-buy systems that (vaguely) follow the pecking order common to Pathfinder classes. I was just going to start with Tier 1 at a 20-point build and go up by 5 per tier, but I feel like that gets out of hand too fast. So I was wondering if people who have tried this(successfully or not) could help me work this out.

For reference, this is how I have tiered the classes. This is my interpretation, it holds based on my perceptions and preferences. It's also intentionally organized into 5 tiers, regardless of the actual amount of tiers.

----
TIER 1 - FULL BURST CASTERS:
*Cleric
*Druid
*Sorcerer
*Wizard

TIER 2 - FULL SUPPORT CASTERS; 2/3 BURST CASTERS:
*Oracle
*Witch
*Magus
*Summoner

TIER 3 - 2/3 BURST CASTERS;1/2 CASTERS:
*Bard
*Alchemist
*Paladin
*Ranger
*Inquisitor

TIER 4 - HARD MELEE;TANKS:
*Barbarian
*Fighter
*Cavalier
*Samurai

TIER 5 - SOFT MELEE;SKILLMONKEYS:
*Rogue
*Ninja
*Monk

----

What do you think?

Go up by five each time, trust me, it isn't out of hand. Monk NEEDS 40 Point Buy, for example. And 35 PB on a Fighter type isn't anywhere near to much. It still won't bride the gap, but the extra ability scores can help make up for some of the weaknesses in the classes. (Martial types can now afford to have one good mental stat.)

And please, please, PLEASE for love of all that is holy give Monk full BAB. You may not like to houserule much, but this one is just necessary. It's still tier five, even with a full BAB progression.

ngilop
2013-03-12, 11:21 PM
I would go by the stat dependacy myself

Tier 1 being classes that only need 1 stat to function at their peak.

Tier 2 being classes that need 2 stats to function at their peak.

Tier 3 being classes that need 3 stats to function at their peak.

Tier 4 Being classes that need 4 stats to function at their peak.

Tier 5 being classes that need 5 stats to function at their peak.

But if you want to keep your I'd really put the Witch at Tier 1 and bump the Magus down to Tier 2. you are overestimating the latter and underestimating the former to a great deal.