PDA

View Full Version : Could Malack's real name be BloodMak?

Lkctgo
2013-03-13, 05:19 AM
In The book On the Origins of the PC's. In the scene where roy visits his dad, there is a gravestone next to it that states

BloodMak The Unholy (1044-1180)

Not Coming Back As A Vampire. Honest.

Firstly, Malack stated that he was alive about 200 Years Ago.

The empire is called the Empire Of Blood.

Malack's name could have been derived from Mak.

Also, the tombstone states "NOT COMING BACK AS A VAMPIRE. HONEST."

What does everyone else think?

Finagle
2013-03-13, 06:51 AM
No.

Why, because "Malack" and "BloodMak" both contain the letters M, A, and K? That's your whole theory?

200 years ago would be the year 984. We're in 1184 now. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html)

Trixie
2013-03-13, 09:06 AM
Also, BloodMak's lifespan significantly outlasts that of common Lizardfolk.

Draz74
2013-03-13, 01:08 PM
Also, Cliffport is unlikely to be the burial place for the shaman of a lizardfolk tribe. From what we've seen of the OotSverse demographics, Malack's tribe was almost certainly on the Western Continent.

137beth
2013-03-13, 02:28 PM
When I just read the topic title, I thought "sure, it's just as likely as any other name." But once you pointed out that "bloodmak" died only 4 years ago...
it is still possible, since more than one lizardfolk can have the same name.

GigaGuess
2013-03-13, 07:26 PM
Not to mention...isn't it mentioned that Malack has been a vampire for, like...a long time? Something about a member of a long dead tribe? Or am I imagining things?

dps
2013-03-13, 07:59 PM
When I just read the topic title, I thought "sure, it's just as likely as any other name." But once you pointed out that "bloodmak" died only 4 years ago...
it is still possible, since more than one lizardfolk can have the same name.

So your theory is the Malack's original name just by coincidence happens to be the same as that of someone buried in the same graveyard as Roy's dad? :smallconfused:

NerdyKris
2013-03-13, 08:20 PM
Not to mention...isn't it mentioned that Malack has been a vampire for, like...a long time? Something about a member of a long dead tribe? Or am I imagining things?

The very first post in the thread you're responding to says that. He's been a vampire for 200 years.

GigaGuess
2013-03-13, 08:53 PM
The very first post in the thread you're responding to says that. He's been a vampire for 200 years.

So I'm pointing out it's hard for the guy in the ground there to be Malack if he died 4 years ago, since Malack-With-A-Pulse became a vampire 200 years back.

IamL
2013-03-13, 08:55 PM
Yeah. It's an interesting theory, but I don't think Malack and BloodMak are related.

martianmister
2013-03-14, 04:29 PM
BloodMak could be one of Malack's so called children (killed by Nale?).

IamL
2013-03-14, 08:36 PM
To quote Into the Woods

Possible. Very, Very, possible.

mawexzon
2013-03-14, 08:46 PM
Don't forget about the whole "being buried in the northern continent" when it seems that Malack is a western native.

kaptainkrutch
2013-03-15, 09:58 AM
So your theory is the Malack's original name just by coincidence happens to be the same as that of someone buried in the same graveyard as Roy's dad? :smallconfused:

Just because he knows something is possible doesn't mean he believes it to be true.

dps
2013-03-16, 11:36 PM
Just because he knows something is possible doesn't mean he believes it to be true.

My point was more along the lines of that even in the unlikely event that theory is correct, it's just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything.

137beth
2013-03-17, 11:13 AM
My point was more along the lines of that even in the unlikely event that theory is correct, it's just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything.

kaptainkrutch was right. It is probably false, but if true, it is a coincidence. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that I think anything else.

You are the one who told me that I think this absurd theory has merit. I'd like to know where you got that idea:smallconfused:

So the answer to your quasi-rhetorical question is no, I don't think that. I just said it was possible, which is what the topic of this thread asked (he said "could Malack's real name be BloodMak", not "do you think Malak's real name is BloodMak.")

dps
2013-03-17, 11:18 AM
You are the one who told me that I think this absurd theory has merit. I'd like to know where you got that idea:smallconfused:

I never told you that the theory has merit. I just asked if that was the theory. :smallconfused:

137beth
2013-03-17, 11:29 AM
I never told you that the theory has merit. I just asked if that was the theory. :smallconfused:

So, your theory is that Malak is actually Tarquin's great-great-grandfather:smallconfused:?

Please, stop trying to put words in my mouth. I never made a single statement to support the absurd theory raised by the OP. I also never said that you thought it had merit, either, I said that you suggested that I believed absurd theories. See the difference?

And after kaptainkrutch explained this to you, you responded that in the event it were true, it was just a coincidence. While your second statement is accurate, no one suggested otherwise. In fact, your initial response to me did not say anything about coincidences. I am not quite sure what you are grasping at. Virtually no one here thinks there is any reasonable chance of Malak being named BloodMak. Why are you random asking people if they support this theory, when they have given no indication to supporting it?

Kish
2013-03-17, 01:50 PM
Malack's real name is Malack.

Just like Redcloak's real name is Redcloak, but possibly with less self-delusion on Malack's part.

Malack's original name may have been anything, but I'll be kind of surprised if it's relevant.

gorocz
2013-03-17, 04:24 PM
No.

Why, because "Malack" and "BloodMak" both contain the letters M, A, and K? That's your whole theory?[/URL]

The "the Unholy" part might be a part of the theory (as Malack is a servant of a God of Death, which usually are regarded as Evil, thus Unholy (e.g. Unholy Symbol x Holy Symbol). Also, there's the mention of the Vampire return. Actually, you should read the whole OP instead of responding to one part of it as it was the only one.

But yeah, most probably just a coincidence. An interesting one but a coincidence nevertheless. The date and the location are both against it.

Malack's real name is Malack.

Just like Redcloak's real name is Redcloak, but possibly with less self-delusion on Malack's part.

Malack's original name may have been anything, but I'll be kind of surprised if it's relevant.

Here we could get to a whole debate about "XXX's name is" and "XXX's real name is"... I'd say that Redcloak's name is Redcloak. He does see himself as Redcloak. But if there was a riddle to which his real name had to be spoken, Redcloak shouldn't work.

dps
2013-03-18, 12:40 AM
So, your theory is that Malak is actually Tarquin's great-great-grandfather:smallconfused:?

Please, stop trying to put words in my mouth. I never made a single statement to support the absurd theory raised by the OP. I also never said that you thought it had merit, either, I said that you suggested that I believed absurd theories. See the difference?

And after kaptainkrutch explained this to you, you responded that in the event it were true, it was just a coincidence. While your second statement is accurate, no one suggested otherwise. In fact, your initial response to me did not say anything about coincidences. I am not quite sure what you are grasping at. Virtually no one here thinks there is any reasonable chance of Malak being named BloodMak. Why are you random asking people if they support this theory, when they have given no indication to supporting it?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I didn't understand the point that you were trying to make in post #5 in this thread (and frankly, I'm still not sure I do). Post #7 was me asking you if what you seemed to be saying in post #5 was what I had taken it to mean. Apparantly, the answer to that question is "no". OK, I don't have a problem with that, but I'm still not sure I understand what you're saying.

Killer Angel
2013-03-18, 04:00 AM
BloodMak could be one of Malack's so called children (killed by Nale?).

eh... BloodMak isn't Malak, but this? this could be.
(but i don't think it's likely)

dtilque
2013-03-20, 12:54 AM
eh... BloodMak isn't Malak, but this? this could be.
(but i don't think it's likely)

Burial on the northern continent argues that it's just as unlikely as the OP.

multilis
2013-03-20, 01:15 AM
eh... BloodMak isn't Malak,...
You don't know that! Malack keeps his promises, eg Belkar.

So if a friend got him to promise to be buried near his lovers grave, then he would have arranged to be buried. Not that hard for a vampire to play dead for a few days.

The truth about Malack, do not read!

Malack is not a normal vampire: Proof - there are no spells that would protect from entire day of daylight, only a few hours. So Malack is obviously a sparkly vampire and just uses magic to hide the sparkles. He was trying to seduce a human wife to make the fabled human-reptile-vampire hybrid, but tragically she died of hypothermia on their honeymoon after their boat, "The Titanic" crashed into an iceberg.

Killer Angel
2013-03-20, 04:50 AM
The truth about Malack, do not read!

Malack is not a normal vampire: Proof - there are no spells that would protect from entire day of daylight, only a few hours. So Malack is obviously a sparkly vampire and just uses magic to hide the sparkles. He was trying to seduce a human wife to make the fabled human-reptile-vampire hybrid, but tragically she died of hypothermia on their honeymoon after their boat, "The Titanic" crashed into an iceberg.

We were so blind, to not see the truth! :smalltongue:

Trixie
2013-03-20, 05:05 AM

...or, you know, he can cast the spell two or three times, as needed :smallconfused:

Also, Titanic? From where that came from?

Nimrod's Son
2013-03-20, 07:37 AM
Also, Titanic? From where that came from?
Southampton, I believe.