PDA

View Full Version : Why the OOTS need not hurry

Tomada
2013-03-13, 08:49 AM
People are thinking the gate is in immediate danger of turning into a Team Evil or Linear Guild weapon. But this is not true.

First, even if someone seize the gate, the rituals take a few weeks (OOTS#416 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html)).

Second, Malack will learn more about the gates from Durkon. Knowing the Snarl doesn't kill people, but unmake then will make Malack know that it will not further Nergal goals. Nergal is a god of death, not unmakingness. He will probably oppose whoever wants to use the gates.

Third, this is a story about the heroes, and Elan is getting a happy ending, dammit!

RMS Oceanic
2013-03-13, 08:56 AM
In general, defence is easier than offense. It is normally better to prevent someone capturing a goal than trying to retake it from them. If Xykon can push them aside to the point where he feels comfortable enough to begin the ritual, how would they feel able to stop him before he finishes?

Also, why is it assumed the Order knows more about the Gates than the Linear Guild? They may know a bit more about Xykon and Redcloak's abilities and goals, but remember that Nale heard what Shojo knew about the Gates from the horse's mouth, and I don't think he was willing to conceal anything when he was at his father's mercy. Now possibly Durkon could tell Malack something about Xykon that would make him reconsider...

Trixie
2013-03-13, 09:03 AM
People are thinking the gate is in immediate danger of turning into a Team Evil or Linear Guild weapon. But this is not true.

First, even if someone seize the gate, the rituals take a few weeks (OOTS#416 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html)).

For Xykon. How long it takes for Hell and its access to dozen of evil epic spellcaster souls?

Second, Malack will learn more about the gates from Durkon. Knowing the Snarl doesn't kill people, but unmake then will make Malack know that it will not further Nergal goals. Nergal is a god of death, not unmakingness. He will probably oppose whoever wants to use the gates.

Will he think of asking? Does Durkon even remember Snarl kills permanently? Redcloak was doing all the studies after Azure City fell, after all.

Also, Nergal might want it for the same reason as Dark One, or Malack can use it as terror weapon to deny his god's competition souls. Nergal probably would applaud his mortal enemies in pantheon not getting any strong souls anymore.

Third, this is a story about the heroes, and Elan is getting a happy ending, dammit!

Technically, RotJ was happy ending for Anakin Skywalker :smalltongue:

Tomada
2013-03-13, 09:10 AM
I don't think he was willing to conceal anything when he was at his father's mercy.

If he didn't, he wouldn't be of much use right now, would he?

RMS Oceanic
2013-03-13, 09:14 AM
If he didn't, he wouldn't be of much use right now, would he?

His main use from Tarquin's perspective is a point of contact for Xykon. He says when he explains he "knows a guy" who could help Tarquin weaponise the gate. Whether that will come to anything or not remains to be seen.

Clertar
2013-03-13, 12:01 PM
In general, defence is easier than offense.

I'd say, in general, it's the opposite. It's easier to come up with a bigger stick, or gun, than with something with which to protect from it. Or just in a brawl -a sucker punch, a kich to the groin: pretty easy. Blocking or deflecting a simple but powerful blow: much more complex.
Also, sometimes a good offense is the best defense, let's think about the implications of it.

Rakoa
2013-03-13, 12:16 PM
I'd say, in general, it's the opposite. It's easier to come up with a bigger stick, or gun, than with something with which to protect from it. Or just in a brawl -a sucker punch, a kich to the groin: pretty easy. Blocking or deflecting a simple but powerful blow: much more complex.
Also, sometimes a good offense is the best defense, let's think about the implications of it.

In a brawl, most certainly. I've been trained to fight, and the most important thing I've been taught is that it is always easier to act than it is to react. If you can come up with a flurry of punches and force your opponent to react to block them, you have the upper hand. He has to block each punch in turn, forcing him to move his body where you want it to go, opening him up for even more offensive manouevres.

On the grand scale, though, in a battle like that for the gate, with magic and what not involved, I think defence would be the simpler option. Setting up a bunch of defensive spells one day, having offensive spells prepared for the next, traps set up, etc, all provide a bonus to the defensive team. The defensive team could have several days worth of defensive spells set to blow/pop up/otherwise interfere with the offensive team in addition to offensive spells prepared for outright combat, while the offensive team has naught but offensive spells.

Finagle
2013-03-13, 12:53 PM
Hell, my money is on OOTS walking into the gate room only to find Team Evil already there casting the ritual.

TopCheese
2013-03-13, 01:05 PM
Hell, my money is on OOTS walking into the gate room only to find Team Evil already there casting the ritual.

+1

That would be fantastic

Rakoa
2013-03-13, 01:10 PM
+1

That would be fantastic

+2. That would be completely awesome. And actually likely, given that we haven't cut to Team Evil even once. The only reasons for that is clinical use of space given the serious **** that has been going down...or they are already there.

Tomada
2013-03-13, 01:34 PM
Hum... Not unlikely.

I wonder if Team Evil is particularly vulnerable during the ritual or anything?

Tomada
2013-03-13, 07:17 PM
I just noted here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) that Xykon says to Redcloack that he has to prepare some spells to cast on the Astral Plane.

So the Order actually has about ~8hours at least before Team Evil arrives. Probably 16h, since they would rest again afterwards to come refreshed with new spells.