PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Craft for free?

Story
2013-03-13, 10:43 AM
I'm playing a Wizard, and the Unseen Crafter spell recently caught my eye. My idea was to set up a weapon factory in the city to make some money on the side. Unfortunately, it is far too slow.

With a +6 int bonus and 0 ranks, I can take 10 to get 16 and craft martial weapons or crossbows. This means each crafter does about 24gp of work per week.

Assuming I get 1/6th the price in profit and have 50 crafters running at all times, that comes to 200gp per week. But unfortunately, that means it takes 3 weeks just to make back the original cost of learning the spell and buying Artisan's Tools. It would actually take more since I'd need a week just to get everything going.

Is there anything I can do to boost the craft checks without spending much money? Or do I just have to wait until a higher level where it becomes more cost effective?

Addi
2013-03-13, 10:58 AM
You could try to apply "aid another" somehow. I don't know if the crafters can help eachother or if you can get help while determining the craft check result for your crafters, but maybe this can help a little.
Edit: Just found out, that you can't take 10 with this option. Maybe it's still viable.

In Pathfinder you could just buy a standard Headband of Intelligence for a lot of Skill boost - maybe you can fit this to your game, too.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-13, 11:39 AM
RAW, not a lot that you can do to boost it

it makes Craft checks using your ranks in the skill plus your bonus for the relevant spellcasting ability

So only your ranks, and appropriate ability score count.

Effect: One invisible, mindless, shapeless servant

Since the servant is shapeless you can't give it any magic items to boost the check, it's not a creature it can't be targeted by any spells to boost it, and being mindless means it can't do anything but what the spell describes.

Since you need to provide the tools for the work then it could be argued that a set of masterwork tools would give it a +2 bonus but apart from that I can't see any other options unless there are any spells or magical locations that boost craft checks with specific wording.