PDA

View Full Version : Send, send, send out the feelers

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-14, 02:46 PM
Ummm...Hi. I'm a new guy. I've kinda become "post happy" since joining on Sunday. Having seen one person create a pseudo-script for OotS, I tried my hand at it. The reactions to my efforts have been flattering, to say the very least. But one reaction got me thinking...

One of the posters has suggested I start a fan-fiction thread using the OotS characters. I'm worried that I'd be infringing on copyrights held by Rich Burlew by doing so. As I've seen others do it in replies on certain threads, I've done so without a warning, as have those others. But to get creative and start writing without something based on some kind of debate...Am I even allowed?

Here's another problem. If permitted to do such, is there a chance I may stumble upon a strip Rich has planned? What happens if I skewer his script before it's released? I want to remain a fan, not become a bane.

Finally, my little pseudo-scripts are reactions. I don't know how often something original will strike me. I doubt I'll end up with a fan base like Rich's, but to the few adoring fans that I already have...OK, the ONE adoring fan that I have, I'd hate to become a let-down.

Feedback? Suggestions? Demands that I stop thinking too much and just do it? Moderator feedback is always welcome.

Meanwhile, maybe I should seek out a Rules or FAQ post in this section, as I should have done before making this post like a smart person would have. :smalltongue:

TinSoldier
2006-11-14, 02:50 PM
I think it's cool... the writing is original, using the smilies on the board for a good purpose.

I mean, I would do it on this board and not on my own website or something. Good question, though. Maybe someone else can answer better.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-14, 02:53 PM
See my fan.

See my fan adore me.

See my fan adore me and post a reply.

Thanks, Tin! :smallsmile:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-14, 11:42 PM
Since I'm getting little response here, I thought maybe a sample was in order. Here's one such pseudo-script I posted during a debate of how OotS will defeat :mitd:.

Wannabe Writer Theater Presents: The Demise of the Monster in the Dark!

With most of his undead minions...ummm...dead, Xykon stands upon a pile of their bodies.

:xykon: (Ahem.) Fools! You think I am defeated?

:roy: In a word, yes.

:elan: Sure do.

:haley: Yeppers.

:durkon: Aye.

:vaarsuvius: Indeed, I see little else that you can do to escape your immediate destruction.

:belkar: I think it was a trick question.

:xykon: Are you done? I'm in the midst of an evil speach here.

:roy: :elan: :haley: :durkon: :vaarsuvius: Sorry.

:belkar: Like I cared to start with.

:xykon: Where was I?

:redcloak: *points to script in hand* Fools! You think I am defeated?

:xykon: Ah yes...Fools! You think -

:redcloak: No need for repetition, sir. I think we got it.

:xykon: Righto. Picking up where I left off, then.

:belkar: Do Liches bleed?

:roy: Please shut up and let him get on with it.

:xykon: Thank you.

:roy: No problem.

:redcloak: Any time you want to shut up, too, you go right ahead.

:xykon: All of you, SHUT UP! Now, then...Order of the Stick! Prepare to meet your ultimate DOOM!

:mitd: It's about time...Ummm...That is...Order of the Stick, I will devour you, along with a nice, medium-well steak and a prefectly aged bottle of red from Napa!

:xykon: *sigh* Note to self: find smarter creature of unearthly destruction for next world domination plot.

MitD starts moving forward.

:roach: #1 This is it. The big reveal.

:roach: #2 Yeah. I can't believe Rich would bring in a 1st Edition monster for the penultimate climax.

:roy: Wait...What?

MitD stops in its tracks, still in the darkness.

:mitd: I'm 1st Edition.

:roy: A Gygaxian monster?!?

:mitd: Ummm...Yeah. Is that a problem?

:haley: Please say you're kidding.

:xykon: He's not. I summoned him myself.

:redcloak: I witnessed the summoning. And I don't think I've told you, but it was an impressive bit of work, sir.

:xykon: Thank you, Redcloak.

:durkon: But...but...ye canna be a 1st Edition beastie!

:mitd: And yet, oddly, I am.

:vaarsuvius: The list of difficulties that arise from this particular situation stagger even my not inconsiderable intellect, not the least of which is the complete incompatability between 1st Edition and 3.5 Edition.

:belkar: Holy quadruple negatives, Batman.

:vaarsuvius: (aimed at Belkar) Power Word Stun.

:belkar: o.O Who wants cupcakes?

:vaarsuvius: Allow me to exemplify the problem by asking you one simple question.

:xykon: This is gonna suck.

:redcloak: I suspect your right.

:mitd: Go for it.

:vaarsuvius: What's your armor class?

:mitd: -10

:vaarsuvius: Thus, according to OUR rules, we can defeat you by breathing hard.

:roy: A spitball to the eye should be an auto-critical hit that does 1000 times the normal damage.

:vaarsuvius: Indeed. But according to YOUR rules, Roy, here, with his AC of 18, is toast if you so much as sneeze.

:xykon: Wait. I like that version. Game on!

MitD starts to leave the shadows again.

:roy: Oh no, you don't. I'm not doing this.

MitD stops.

:mitd: Doing what?

:elan: I got this one, Roy. It's like this, whatever you are...This is our comic strip. This is, after all, Order of the Stick #4998, not Monster in the Dark #4998.

:roach: #1 Wasn't even scary enough to be a one-hit wonder.

:elan: Therefore, you have to play by our rules. It's a plot-critical point. Always had been. With things as they are now, you can't fight us because you'll never hit us, and if we fight you...Well, the climax just goes out the window, doesn't it?

:mitd: (whining) But I was FINALLY going to get out of the darkness.

:durkon: Sorry, laddie. The darkness is where ye'll have t'stay.

:roy: And with that, I'm outta here.

:xykon: What?!?

:roy: I'm out. Gone. B'bye. See ya!

:xykon: Wait a second! What about the whole revenge plot.

:redcloak: He killed you father's master, remember?

:roy: Yeah. Dad can choke on his oath, okay? (mutters) 1st Edition. Yeesh!

Roy stalks off.

Elan looks to Xykon, MitD, then in the direction Roy went...and promplty goes jogging after Roy.

Haley shrugs and follows Elan.

:durkon: Come on, Belkar.

:belkar: o.O We getting milk for the cupcakes?

:durkon: Aye, lad.

They leave as well.

:vaarsuvius: Seriously. I have but one word, and one word only, to describe this scenario.

:xykon: And that word is...?

:vaarsuvius: Lame.

V walks away.

:redcloak: Well, Lord Xykon? What now?

:xykon: I say we just let the crazy thing loose and see what happens.

:mitd: Yay!

:vaarsuvius: (from out of frame) 1st level Magic Missile.

A lone bead of energy zips into frame...

Past Xykon...

Past Redcloak...

And into the darkness.

:mitd: NOOOOOO!

There is a massive explosion. When the dust settles, a pool of blood seeps from the shadows.

:xykon: Really, I didn't see this coming at all. Did you?

:redcloak: As a high priest, sir, I'm all about the wisdom. My intelligence score is high enough to make lengthy speeches, but not to foresee problems with the plot.

:xykon: Well this just sucks in all kinds of ways.

:roach: #1 And you said Gary FTW.

:roach: #2 I thought it was a lock.

If I continue to get no feedback on my original post at the top of this thread, I'll just stick to being silly in response to various threads.

Thanks all! :smallsmile:

Calamity
2006-11-15, 03:33 PM
Bor, I've read a few of your pseudo-scripts, I must say, I'm impressed! They are very fun or as V would say:
:vaarsuvius: "Your pseudo-scripts cause a high level of amusement in myself"
:elan: "#Write, write, write witty pseudo-scripts!#"
:thog: "thog likes funny scripts with thog acting in character"

:wink:

But I agree with Tin that if you are using the giant's characters you should probably stick to the boards, but if you made your own characters and gave them their own personalites, then I think we would have a very good comic strip (or story if you're not so artistic, mind you, not all comics are well-drawn, most are though) on the way! Go you! :biggrin:

faerwain
2006-11-18, 03:16 PM
See my fan.

See my fan adore me.

See my fan adore me and post a reply.

Thanks, Tin! :smallsmile:

What do you say, Tin-ny is trapped in a thread ? Okay, I'll admit, that one hurted...

But don't be so shy, make it 2 fans :smallwink: ...and as you said you will continue your scripts because of few responses and I do want to keep laughing, the heck I will do and talk anymore...

*rushes out*

I wasn't here, you haven't seen me..

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-18, 09:29 PM
I'm flattered to see my goofy tangents and such receiving such praise. Credit must go to Rich Burlew for creating characters that are fun to use in of so many bent ways. :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps what I should do, rather than have a thread where I go off on my own, is simply create something like "A Best of Bor [Spoiler]" thread. Now, I'm not so egotistical as to say what's good enough to land in the thread; what I'll do is slip in the ones that receive the least criticism for this wrong thing or that wrong thing, and actually receive a positive response. I'll have a blurb at the top about what it was that I was responding to, and then there will be a happy little home where my TWO fans can sit a re-read my silliness all...day...and...night! :smallwink:

On second thought, a thread by that title makes it seem as though I'm the only one doing this kind of thing, and I actually got the idea from someone else. It should be a thread where all writers of "pseudo-scripts" can deposit their work for all fans of such creativity.

Bah! It's starting to get too complicated in my head, and I'm "too young" to these forums to start thinking I could establish a thread with rules and so on. I guess if you like the creator of such things, you'll just have to seek out their work on the boards by searching their posts. :smallfrown:

Be well, my beloved fan-base...all TWO of you. :smallwink:

Calamity
2006-11-22, 02:21 PM
Be well, my beloved fan-base...all TWO of you. :smallwink:

Don't you mean THREE? :smallwink:

Perhaps what I should do, rather than have a thread where I go off on my own, is simply create something like "A Best of Bor [spoiler]" thread. Now, I'm not so egotistical as to say what's good enough to land in the thread; what I'll do is slip in the ones that receive the least criticism for this wrong thing or that wrong thing, and actually receive a positive response. I'll have a blurb at the top about what it was that I was responding to, and then there will be a happy little home where my TWO (Like I said.. THREE! :smalltongue:) fans can sit a re-read my silliness all...day...and...night! :smallwink:

Good idea, but I prefer:

On second thought, a thread by that title makes it seem as though I'm the only one doing this kind of thing, and I actually got the idea from someone else. It should be a thread where all writers of "pseudo-scripts" can deposit their work for all fans of such creativity.

:vaarsuvius: This shread of intellect intrigues me, I would probably find a thread of this nature highly entertaining. Luckily, I have researched a new spell: NEW THREA--
:elan: Concentrate on your spell!
:vaarsuvius: I have decided to change my strategy, Durkon, do we have any rescue missions planned?
:durkon: Nay, why?
:vaarsuvius: Damnation, I would guess that means you didn't request any Silence spells from your deity
:durkon: Nay.
:elan: I could write a bard song about the Silence spell if you want D!
:durkon: Fine. So long as I be castin' tha spell first

Oops, got carried away, anyway, as you can probably see, I whole-heartedly support this idea

Diabhan
2006-12-02, 06:38 PM
I *really* and *thoroughly* enjoyed your little shpeal...It was quite delightful.

Grey Knight
2006-12-06, 08:26 PM
Having seen one person create a pseudo-script for OotS, I tried my hand at it.

I have a suspicion I might be partially responsible (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1537179#post1537179) for this.

I'm sorry, everyone. :smallfrown:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-12-06, 08:31 PM
Nope. Sorry, Grey. It wasn't that one that got me started. To be honest, I don't remember who the author of the psuedo-script that got me going. But every now and again, when I can think of a shtick that responds to a thread, I got for it. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Herman
2006-12-16, 07:36 AM
Oooo, me likey! Write me up as adoring fan #4.

I do think some characters (especially Roy and V) start acting a bit out of character near the end. It might be intentional, but it did strike me as odd.

blackout
2006-12-23, 01:39 PM
Where can I find all of the works of Bor, the Barbarian Monk? :)

Daedrous Avari
2006-12-23, 02:06 PM
Yes, tell us!

Lord Magtok
2006-12-26, 12:35 AM
You will tell us or we shall march to your home and steal your kitty!
Right everyone?
...everyone?

blackout
2006-12-26, 09:20 AM
*has already stolen kitty*

Lord Magtok
2006-12-26, 09:01 PM
Good job, Blackout. Now to bribe him with his own kitty, and for me to take my rightful place as fan #5!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-12-26, 09:12 PM
You people are insane. My pseudo-scripts can be found my seraching my posting history. They should all be under threads involving the OotS comic.

Lord Magtok
2006-12-27, 12:17 AM
We're not insane! (I think...)
Its just more convienient if you make a list of links to them.

GolemsVoice
2006-12-27, 01:29 PM
Bor, you are way to huble when it comes to your achievements.I read your pseudo script, and it is almost as good as the real thing. Count me tpo your growing fanbase.