PDA

View Full Version : Horizons 2.0 IC

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-03-13, 02:01 PM
Previously

Jaelyn

Jaelyn rests a hand on Ekua's, and plants a kiss on her cheek. "Do not fear, fair maiden," he replies, "whatever comes, I shall not allow harm to befall you." He wasn't quite clear on what it was they wanted either - sure, they had wanted his cooperation in hunting down a Silent Sister, but beyond that... "I don't know," he adds, "they did not ask for much, but they were quite sincere about it."

In the early morning, Jaelyn bathes and dresses in his new livery. He quietly slips out of the inn, careful not to wake the half orc girl. He arrives at the palace just as the sun breaks over the horizon, the light shining off the sapphire blue of his suit, the silver linings aglow, echoes of the moonlight that had just retired. Right on time.

As Jaelyn arrives he sees a sleepy looking guard just stifling a yawn but the man comes to attention as Jaelyn approaches and he calls out to the minstrel: "Stop there sir, who are you to wander here?"

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-03-13, 02:12 PM
"Jaelyn, sir," he replies, stopping a respectful distance away from the guard, "I was told I would be met here at sunrise, then shown into the castle for an audience with Archduke Hasselhorn." It wasn't surprising that he was still alone - members of the court, if the man who had invited him were indeed one, were not known for their punctuality.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-03-13, 04:50 PM
The man examines Jaelyn again, perhaps wondering if it was worth sending for someone. Little changes on his face but he nods, grunts and calls back through the gates: "Ryall! Go and check with the Head if we're expecting someone."

There is a scuffling behind the walls but Jaelyn can see nothing more. The guard pointedly ignores you, not wanting to give you the satisfaction should you indeed be a trickster, but after a number of long minutes there is another scuffling. Jaelyn catches only a few words of the whispered instructions that the hidden figure gives the guard but immediately afterwards the guard straightens and then salutes formally, crashing his spear butt on the stone.
"I am sorry, master minstrel, someone will be here shortly to collect you, it seems you were rather earlier than expected."

It is another long wait before finally a woman and a man exit from the gate and introduce themselves formally, the woman, a dumpy sort with an unfortunate number of freckles introduces herself as Cecilia Pike the Archduke's neice and ward, and the skeletally thin man who shadows her names himself Anton Hool the Duke's steward.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-03-14, 08:12 AM
Jaelyn bows with a flourish, tilting his head down a little lower than usual to emphasize his servility. "Lady Pike, Master Hool, I am most honored to have the pleasure of your introduction," he replies, "a simple minstrel such as myself does not deserve that pleasure." Realizing what they said, he bows once again. "I apologize for rushing what morning processes you may have been attending to," he says apologetically, "I was told to arrive by sunrise, and I simply did not wish to disappoint."

Diplomacy roll just in case:[roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-03-15, 03:38 AM
Cecilia laughs; "But no honest men rise before the sun sir; no one expected you to be so prompt." She says it kindly without a hint of reproach.

As you pass into the halls you can see a great store of valuable looking objects plastered everywhere within the small castle. Golden flowers sit in ornate vases and tapestries hang upon the walls.

You are led to a smallish room, the only feature of which is the spindly wooden desk that supports almost it's weight again in loose papers and notes. The steward takes a seat behind the desk and Cecilia hovers in the corner of the room.

"So, master...," Anton begins, searching for a name, "I review all the items upon the Archduke's schedule, and it is important that each is spoken with before we grant him an audience. Should you prove satisfactory you may wait here and we will find a time for you today to perform for the duke." His voice sounds querulous and high.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-03-15, 09:35 PM
"Jaelyn," the minstrel responds, "simply Jaelyn is more than enough - I am far from worthy of treatment as 'master', under any form of courtesy." He nods at the steward's explanation in understanding. "A necessary precaution, to be sure," he replies, "I shall do my best to comply."

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-03-16, 06:23 AM
"Please ah play for us first, and then I shall ask you a few questions." Anton then stares at you quite fiercely, his scrutiny implacable.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-03-17, 02:47 PM
Jaelyn smiles - this is where he shines. "Of course, master Hool," he replies, standing. Taking out his lyre, the bard takes a few moments to tune his instrument. Then, with a small exhale, he begins.

Soft strums of his lyre produces a string of notes so delicate and tender that it seems as if even the lightest breath could blow them out of the air. Gently they interweave themselves with the words that sprang forth from Jaelyn's lips, propping up the beautiful melody. He sang of a maiden, oh so tender and pure, who sat trapped in a clearing, longing to be free. Day after day she spent walking the forest paths, yet they always led back to that same place.

Not wanting to keep the steward occupied for too long, Jaelyn skips a few verses, ending the song with a bittersweet Picardy third that punctuated the maiden finally finding freedom in a euphemism that vaguely rang of death. He stops, and lets the last chord hang in the air like smoke, dissipating throughout the room, anticipating what the steward and lady had to say.

Perform (Sing): [roll0]
Perform (Oratory): [roll1]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-03-18, 12:46 PM
Your melodies are hauntingly beautiful, and the lady Cecilia sighs at your music, but the steward Anton frowns: "I'd advise you not to use such frivolous words before the duke. He is a man of substance, not some idle romantic." His chastisement done, he allows his frown to fade; "You are quite as good as we had heard, wait outside and we'll send you up to him in, ah half an hour?"

It has been forty minutes (though the passage of time is hard to judge) when a uniformed official appears in the room and summons you, pulling you away from Anton who remains studiously scribbling down some accounts.

You follow the page up and up, never walking in the corridors of the lords and ladies, always in the passages reserved for the servants and common men.

Finally you are brought through a guarded door onto a balcony overlooking what appears to be a throne room, with an thick set man reclining on a regal silver throne. There is no throne beside him, but Cecilia hovers by his right hand, and a number of dignitaries and import individuals fill out the hall.
There do not appear to be any pressing matters coming before the archduke now, and occasionally groups of men will approach him, but the mood seems to be one of casual amiability.

The page gestures for you to take up a position and begin.

The balcony is about 15ft above the floor of the hall, which has a number of raised daises.