PDA

View Full Version : Creating a 9th level Spell

AlanBruce
2013-03-13, 02:18 PM
Greetings! I am unsure if the Homebrew section is where this thread should go. If that isn't the case, please let me know so I may move it to its appropriate section.

I have a player in my group who plays a DMM Persist Cleric. The PC is built around battle, persisting his buffs for 24 hours and wading into melee and ripping things apart. His current build is clr3/church inq4/RSoP5/Contemplative2.

Needless to say, he has many things going on for him.

However, he has asked me to create a custom spell once he reaches 17th level. He usually has Holy transformation and Visage of the deity on all day. Of course, he wants more power. As such, he has asked me for this spell in particular. A unique spell too, granted by Pelor himself for a worthy champion.

Aspect of the Astral Deva.

Basically, he would get the following perks:

+8Str, +2 Dex, +8 Con, +2Wis, +4Cha

NA of +15

Stun ability used by the astral deva + angelic qualities (such as the constant globe of lesser inv. + aura of menace)

I am still hesitant to allow this, but he just went level 14. Any ideas whether this is balanced?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ozymandias
2013-03-13, 03:03 PM
Are these untyped bonuses or enhancement bonuses? How long does it last?

In any case, it's probably weaker than shapechange (which, granted, says almost nothing)

Veklim
2013-03-13, 03:18 PM
Are these untyped bonuses or enhancement bonuses? How long does it last?

In any case, it's probably weaker than shapechange (which, granted, says almost nothing)

Indeed.....trouble is, 9th levels are hard to balance, because there's really no such thing as a balanced 9th level spell, they're more powerful than anything a non-fullcaster can do by level 20...

As long as the bonuses aren't untyped, and the duration isn't excessive, then I guess it's ok, he'll already have Gate by then, what's the worst this spell could do in comparison...?

AlanBruce
2013-03-13, 06:15 PM
The player has yet to write the spell down. At a glance, I would guess the bonuses would replace those of Holy Transformation and Righteous Might, unless he plans on making the bonuses luck or sacred.

He is a DMM Persist cleric, so chances are he will have it on 24 hours.