PDA

View Full Version : Druid, trying to make him special

Sparsey
2013-03-13, 07:17 PM
First time posting on here. Hope I don't f it up.

Okay, so I know I want to make a druid character, but I also have some inclination to multiclass, and maybe put in some substitution levels, but I don't want to just make a grab bag character of all the things I think are cool. I'd appreciate some help in making sensible choices.

The concept for my character is clear in my head, but I'm having trouble translating it to a reasonable description for my DM, and actual chargen. He's part of a line of druids that are guardians of a certain forest, that past on the position of Guardian from one to the next (It's a totally inappropriate comparison, but I can't help thinking of the rule of two that the Sith follow in Star Wars). As they take on that role, and become the forest's sole protector, they grow in size along with their power (I talked to my DM about working out a Large character). I think of him as being able to hold his own even outside of Wild Shape...
Anyway, I want to make a character that's fairly self-sufficient, as I'll be adventuring with only on other PC, and I want to make him something other than just a plain old druid.

At this point, I tentatively have him made up as a Human Monk/Druid, LN
STR 13
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 18
CHA 9
(any other relevant info needed, just let me know)
Are there any specific choices or changes you think I should make to really go for my concept? Feat, multiclass, prestige class, substitution level, etc. suggestions? I'm going to build him up to 15th level, because we all want to experiment with a higher level than we've seen before.

If you take the time to help with this, thanks so much in advance!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-13, 07:36 PM
What level are you starting at?

The most sensible choice for a Druid is to only take levels in Druid, never multiclass or prestige class at all.

Are you aware that you can completely replace a Monk dip with a Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks)?

Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) + Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) will handle your size desires, maybe say it's only active inside his forest? Due to post-errata Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape), you retain your original creature type, so the Enlarge Person effect would remain and make you a bigger version of any animal form you take.

Read up on what makes a Druid good and how best to use it (https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=5&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=wRVCsc2frBrvgx5MmV4JEA&cp=15&gs_id=92&xhr=t&q=druid+handbook+3.5&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=druid+handbook+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.b2I&fp=a539a4eae5761a95&biw=1920&bih=934).

graeylin
2013-03-13, 07:39 PM
if you don't want to do the druid shapeshifting thing (for flavor, because it's one of the key powers a druid has), you can simply use the alternate class feature from Unearthed Arcana, and get a few monk powers with it (speed, ac) and some ranger tracking and such.

Sparsey
2013-03-13, 11:36 PM
Thanks, friends! :smallbiggrin:

Biff: I gotta say, I was secretly hoping you'd shoot down my multiclassing idea. It takes some of the complication out. Good tip about the Monk's Belt, I'll ask my DM about that.

graeylin: I checked out UA, and the variant you mentioned seemed to be not really worth it. Definitely would only be for flavor, like you said.

Speaking of UA, what do y'all say about Aspect of Nature?

Thanks again!

Sparsey
2013-03-14, 12:08 AM
Woof, never mind about Aspect of Nature. The more I look at it, the less appealing it gets. It looks like it's hard to beat a basic druid.

Urpriest
2013-03-14, 12:19 AM
A Goliath Druid might be an interesting option. IIRC they keep their Powerful Build in animal form, and the Racial Substitution Levels are decent.

Yanagi
2013-03-14, 01:20 AM
What books do you have access to and permission to draw from?

Depending on your options, look at:

If you've got Tome of Battle, Swordsage is a better dip for Druid than Monk. You get WIS to AC even in light armor and a few techniques that make you a better tactical fighter. Setting Sun (the grappling/throwing discipline) goes very nice with wildshape

Warshaper in Complete Warrior: a 5-level 3/4 BAB with a bundle of neat powers tied to shapeshifting. Even a 2-level dip gets you immunity to criticals, stunning, +4 STR & +4 CON, and +1 size to natural weapons. Cheap entry, too: +4 BAB and wildshape (or some other shapeshift ability).

Fist of the Forest in Complete Champion: a 3-level, full BAB with Ranger saves. Interesting because it grants CON to AC in return for no armor and some RP requirements about living only in the wild by foraging. Also grants boosted unarmed attacks, fast movement, and a rage-like ability that boosts DEX, natural attacks, and uncanny dodge. Entry is a bit steep in terms of feats, though (Power Attack, Fortitude, Improved Unarmed Strike).

If you want him to be a combatant with less reliance on Wildshaping, Complete Divine has a bunch of Wild Feats that burn wildshape uses to grant stuff like Natural AC, plant immunities, the ability to Pounce, et cetera. Grizzly Claws--which gives you natural weapons (claws) in your native form...which of course as a druid you have plenty of spells to augment them. It's late game, but Oaken Resilience grants plant immunities.

Complete Champion has the Great and Small feat, which gives you the ability use wildshape to grow/shrink your native form (as per Enlarge Person/Reduce Person spells) once you get the ability to turn into Small and Large size-category animals.

Greenish
2013-03-14, 01:47 AM
Shifter druid substitution levels and the Moonspeaker PrC from Races of Eberron are pretty cool. Planar Shepherd from Faiths of Eberron considered hilariously overpowered, but carefully choosing a plane that doesn't have too powerful planar effects or denizens could be made to work. Both would require some refluffing outside Eberron.

Book of Exalted Deeds has the Lion of Talisid PrC that also might fit (Scent & Pounce even when not in Wildshape).

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-14, 05:18 AM
If you don't want wild shape you could also take Holt Warden from Complete Champion. It abilities are fitting for a protector of the forest and very flavorful imo.
Also, consider that being lawful prevents you from summoning unicorns who are quite useful as mini-clerics.

Ardantis
2013-03-14, 09:41 AM
Seconding the Goliath- sure, you lose a level to LA, but you were considering Monk and this is much better. The substitution levels are great, but stack Powerful Build with any size mods you have and you've got a great big grappling beast. It's fun to tackle dinosaurs!

Only downside is that the physical stat boosts are wasted in Wild Shape, but it does mean that your non-shifted form is a bit of a bruiser. Throw in Great and Small (mentioned previously) for a very scary base form.