PDA

View Full Version : Pets in the Underdark

2013-03-13, 08:03 PM
I'm in an evil campaign mostly underground. My character died and now I'm rolling a kobold druid. I have a decent build in mind, but I'm trying to find some good pets for my subterranean adventures. I'm starting at level 7, and have max ranks in handle animal. I'm looking for 3 or 4 combat pets, preferably with a dragonic or reptilian nature (mostly for flavor). I considered some large vipers, but they lack dark vision.

Also, any ideas for small utility pets will be welcome as well. If it matters I'm in Faerun, and the party consists of a rogue, a barbarian, and a combat cleric of gruumsh.

And yes, I've checked out the handle animal guide, its pretty awesome.

gorfnab
2013-03-13, 08:25 PM
Phynxkin - Dragon Magic (Druid ACF on pages 13-14, Phynxkin stats pages 116-117)

Fleshraker - Monster Manual III (pages 40-41)

Don't forget to take the feat Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) to offset some of the penalties to your effective druid from taking stronger animal companions.

Zahhak
2013-03-13, 08:28 PM
I considered some large vipers, but they lack dark vision.

Really? Simple homebrew solution: they're pit vipers. They don't have darkvision, but they have heat detecting pits that allow them to "see" the infrared spectrum of light, so they would be able to "see" in the dark that way. Maybe add 1 to the level per viper because you're adding what would function as darkvision.

2013-03-13, 08:45 PM
Phynxkin - Dragon Magic (Druid ACF on pages 13-14, Phynxkin stats pages 116-117)

Fleshraker - Monster Manual III (pages 40-41)

Don't forget to take the feat Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) to offset some of the penalties to your effective druid from taking stronger animal companions.

I'll look into both, though i'm not sure how my dm feels about dinosaurs.

Really? Simple homebrew solution: they're pit vipers. They don't have darkvision, but they have heat detecting pits that allow them to "see" the infrared spectrum of light, so they would be able to "see" in the dark that way. Maybe add 1 to the level per viper because you're adding what would function as darkvision.

I'll run it by my dm