PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Stuck on an asteroid, hoping to not die

Choquai
2013-03-13, 11:45 PM
I am in a Pathfinder group that consists of a cleric (blood/chaos), musket master, monk, magus, fighter, paladin, and witch, all level 11.

We are ghosts who have been thrown back in time and are stuck on a mostly normal, rocky asteroid with some magical deposits that will impact a planet in about 3 weeks time. We want this asteroid to impact the planet to keep the timeline the same. Unfortunately, half of the asteroid's magical deposits have been corrupted by chaotic magic, which is not part of the timeline.

We can all craft things (2xWondrous Items, Rings, Potions, Wands, 2xArms & Armor) and can craft for the whole 3 weeks (we have a total of 318500gp worth of "universal materials" we can use).

In order of desirability, I would like suggestions for how we can:

'Heal' half of the asteroid
Blow it in half
Divert its course
Surviving the impact is a bonus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thinking outside the box is a granted.

Arkwright
2013-03-14, 12:23 AM
For surviving the impact- get the Witch or the Magus to start researching a super-sized version of Feather Fall. Jump off and skydive your way to safety!

Gnorman
2013-03-14, 12:44 AM
Given that they are ghosts, they probably don't need to worry about surviving.

How easily can you access a Dispel Chaos spell?

WeeFreeMen
2013-03-14, 02:19 AM
Craft a crap-ton of Immovable Rods and lay them out on a fault-line on said asteroid. Create your own fault line if need be.

Much like the Water splitting Stone method or Wedge in Crack.
Asteroid is moving with a massive amount of force.
Alternatively, Force Disks or something similar could be of huge help.

GreenZ
2013-03-14, 05:21 AM
1. Create an exact replica of the asteroid using magic.

2. Throw it at the planet.

3. Blow up original asteroid.

4. Survive???

5. Profit. :smallcool:

Choquai
2013-03-17, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! The DM says that Dispel Chaos is most likely to work, and ad a level 11 cleric I can cast that fairly well. He mentioned I'd need to make some pretty good caster check rolls. Anything I can do to up those?

Chaosvii7
2013-03-17, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! The DM says that Dispel Chaos is most likely to work, and ad a level 11 cleric I can cast that fairly well. He mentioned I'd need to make some pretty good caster check rolls. Anything I can do to up those?

Static Caster Level rolls? Best bet would be to bump your casting stat up as high as possible, or powerlevelling somehow. There are ways to add to your caster level for other things, but the majority of that doesn't apply to checks.

For dispelling, you'd have to dig around some books, but there is certain to be items that give dispel synergy.

avr
2013-03-17, 10:17 PM
If you can make CL 12 somehow, you could then make a orange prism ioun stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/orange-prism-ioun-stone). If not, then you get to find out whether you can ignore that requirement by taking a -5 on the spellcraft check.

If you can research new spells, some variant of hallow might be useful.

Palanan
2013-03-17, 10:51 PM
I don't know anything about the musket master as a Pathfinder entity, but assuming he still has his musket, he might be able to help with your third objective.

It's definitely out of the box, but if he can sustain a high enough rate of fire, you can use the musket as a massdriver (http://www.nss.org/resources/library/planetarydefense/2004-RapidAndScalableApproachToPlanetaryDefense.pdf) to alter the asteroid's trajectory. I'll let those with greater (and nuttier) system mastery work out the details.

:smalltongue:

avr
2013-03-17, 11:24 PM
[Insert catgirl-slaying equation including mass & speed of renaissance-era bullets, mass of an asteroid, and integrating over time] times zero for being a ghost with zero mass, including equipment.

Choquai
2013-03-17, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately I was just told the asteroid is over 2 miles across, so mass drivers are unlikely to work. That was definitely one of my first thoughts too!

Palanan
2013-03-17, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by avr
...times zero for being a ghost with zero mass, including equipment.

Nuance.

:smalltongue:

Besides which, I figured if people are suggesting item crafting and spell research--both very tangible enterprises--then the ghost thing seemed a little passé.

:smallbiggrin:

Preaplanes
2013-03-17, 11:46 PM
Hmm... wait a moment, what about Planar Binding and Planar Ally? You've got the time to set up the ritual, and could possibly use those to call for reinforcements from other planes, either to come over themselves or to act as messengers for the real big guns. I'm pretty sure even a Greater Deity would be concerned about such a major event happening to what I can only assume is the primary planet of the Prime Material if you could summon a competent messenger. Planar Binding would be even easier, as it's a contract negotiation instead of a request, though you'll have to be VERY careful that it doesn't get taken in the wrong way (or if it does, that it doesn't matter).

Choquai
2013-03-19, 09:45 AM
As far as I can see, I (the cleric) am the only one who can cast planar ally, and I can't summon a Lawful creature (because I'm CN and one of my domains is chaos). DM says that only Lawful creatures would want to help us out on this. What I think I'll do is make a wand of Lesser Planar Ally, which should be able to get around the alignment restriction.

Choquai
2013-03-19, 09:53 AM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, everyone! I think I especially like the Immovable Rods suggestion. Not terribly feasible once I learned the asteroid is about 2 miles across, but any time I can use an Immovable Rod is a good time indeed.