PDA

View Full Version : A Complete Guide to Sailing?

Octopusapult
2013-03-14, 09:57 AM
I was wondering if there had been any kind of book or supplement for 3.5 that I'm unaware of (and can't find) that would detail the operation and creation of ships in a way comparable to the way The Stronghold Builders Guide does for fortresses?

Greenish
2013-03-14, 09:59 AM
Stormwrack, obviously. Nothing else springs to mind.

Pancritic
2013-03-14, 10:02 AM
Just yesterday, I learned of the Seafarer's Handbook by Fantasy Flight Games. Haven't read it yet, so can't comment on the quality, and it was published in 2002.

The Glyphstone
2013-03-14, 10:03 AM
Yeah, It's Wet Outside (aka Stormwrack) is going to be your best bet.

Octopusapult
2013-03-14, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the swift answers. I was hoping there'd be a material that was... I'm not sure how to put it... more complete? Or... focused? On ship building / operation specifically. But this will work. Thanks again.

Zherog
2013-03-14, 10:27 AM
There's a book (for Pathfinder) coming out from Frog God Games later this spring or early summer called Fire as She Bears that is what you're looking for. It was part of the "Razor Coast" kickstarter, but will be available for sale separate from the Razor Coast products once it releases.

Full Disclosure: I'm a co-author of the book.

Callin
2013-03-14, 10:35 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61NmFf30FjL._SS500_.jpg

I love that book

Octopusapult
2013-03-14, 02:36 PM
This book is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much. ♥

Fyermind
2013-03-15, 12:05 AM
The 3.0 book Arms and Equipment Guide has a one (long) chapter section on ships by section similar to the stronghold builders handbook. As for spells and effects, it has some wondrous vehicles and enhancements as does stormwrack. Several wards and the like from stronghold builders guidebook and draconomicon are also relevant.

Skysaber
2013-03-15, 01:32 AM
Seafarer's Handbook in the Legends & Lairs series has been mentioned.

Broadsides! by Bastion Press so far has been absolutely top quality, and they have a related Pirates! book that is basically a monster manual of named NPC encounters/enemies for the same.

Airships and E-ships I found disappointing, but still better than Stormwrack. In fact, what I was disappointed about you just might find ideal, as it focuses almost entire on ship design and rules for their warfare.

Frostburn actually has some nice items for ships, more than Stormwrack (which I find ironic). Arms & Equipment also has a decent section.

"Corsair. The Definitive Guide To Ships" <- actual title, is one I haven't looked through much. Mostly, with a copy of Broadsides! I never really felt a need to.

Seas of Blood, Fantasy on the High Seas, by Mongoose Publishing is what I've come to expect from them, meaning "Average at first glance, then has a habit of steadily creeping in until you're using nearly the whole thing." In other words, while the art and layout are not inspiring, their rules are some of the best thought out and prove useful time and time again.

Hope that helps.