PDA

View Full Version : Question About Combat Maneuver AoO's [PF]

Sparklz
2013-03-14, 12:53 PM
I found a thread discussing damage on a rogue's full sneak attack, and I noticed a description about the amount of damage potentially done by a barbarian. I couldn't help but see that the barbarian's damage included AoO's on its overrun/bull rush. This seems wrong to me, based on what I know of the feats, which explicitly state that they do not provoke an AoO for the user.

Original thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243127

Relevant section below:

*SNIP*
Now let's look at a Barbarian. We'll give him the Beast totem for pounce, with Power Attack, Overbearing Assault, Overbearing Advance, Combat Reflexes, Improved Overrun, Greater Overrun, Improved Bull Rush, Quick bull rush, Greater Bull Rush and Spiked Destroyer.

So this Barbarian starts by Raging and charge attacking. Assume he put his 18 in STR and gets a +2 to it, then regular level up bonuses/items/books. So 36 STR, +8 'cuz he's Raging, 44 STR is +17.

Hokai. Barbarian chooses to free Overrun something with his rage feature during his charge. They take 17+1d4+17 and trigger an opportunity attack. He uses his rage feature to swap that AO for a Bull Rush, which deals another 17+1d4+17, and triggers an opportunity attack. He swings his two-hander for 2d6+25+18, pushing the target back say, one square.

He continues his charge, and uses his ability to Overrun multiple times in the same round with a -2 penalty. So they take another 17+1d4+17 and trigger an attack of opportunity. He switches this AO for a Bull Rush with the Quick Bull Rush feat, so they take another 17+1d4+17 damage, and trigger an AO, which he uses to swing at them with his two hander for 2d6+25+18.
They get pushed back another 5 feet, the barbarian continues his movement, and takes a further -2 penalty to overrun them *Again*. That's another 17+1d4+17, triggering yet another AO for 2d6+25+18. OK! He's finally out of bull rush and can't overrun that same target anymore. So he'll Full Attack it, for 8d6+100+74. Plus a total of 24 for charging, as it adds +2 damage in PF.
*SNIP*