PDA

View Full Version : Ivellius' Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal

Ivellius
2013-03-14, 01:03 PM
After reading through several of these and making use of suggestions, I've decided to write up and chronicle my group's adventures through this module. We've been going for a couple of months, but with my thesis mostly behind me, this is the first good chance I've gotten to write up their adventures so far. It covers the first seven sessions of our adventure, so it's a large first post, but I plan to update this weekly after our sessions.

Session 1 – The Ruined Tower
Our party thus far: Slade, Half-orc Swordsman; Fabio, Kalashtar Psion; Caspar, Changeling Assassin; Norin, Elf Archer; Aurren, Human Truenamer

I decided to run a campaign in Eberron, just to provide a bit of grounding for the campaign and a setting on which I can fall back for flavor. After consideration, I decided to place the Elsir Vale on the eastern edge of the Eldeen Reaches. But we can’t just throw a party into all of this, can we? I felt like it needed a bit of build-up, so I decided to adapt WotC’s “A Dark and Stormy Knight” to gather them together. So everyone but Slade filed in and had a bit of conversation with each other before lightning opened the rest of the crypt for exploration. I’d replaced the vargouille with a weakened mezzoloth statue that, when touched, would summon the daemon. The truenamer immediately obliged, his curiosity being too much to overcome, and they had a difficult time getting past its damage reduction. Slade entered while they were fighting the creature and went toe-to-toe with it. They eventually brought it down without too much trouble.

Deeper into the tower they found a couple of infernal goblins—Red Hand scouts sent to look for the sword that had been buried with the Dark Knight. They died without incident, so the party decided to open the burial chamber. Slade engaged in melee while everyone else stood back and attacked. The highlight of the fight was Caspar hitting Slade with a Shadow Garotte for 27 damage, which dropped the half-orc. Despite this setback, they dispatched the undead warrior swiftly enough, and the session more or less ended there. The Dark Knight had a flaming longsword with a red-dragon head for the pommel, which Norin took, and they discovered the name “Tiamat” on his tomb’s inscription.

Session 2
The second session began with some exploration of the ruined tower. Some of them tried climbing the slick outside surface with unpleasant results; falling damage combined with the problems from the previous night’s encounters meant that the three more martial characters had low-to-moderate health. Finding what was left of the goblins’ camp spooked them a bit, but after they decided the old tower had nothing left for them to find they moved on.

The road ambush took almost the entire rest of the session. As they realized they were surrounded, they began dividing up to take on enemies in different sections. Caspar teleported to take out the enemies on the east side, Slade began making his way to the west, and Aurren…well, Aurren was left as the most viable target for the enemy archers and took a hail of arrows that seriously injured him. Fabio weakened the hellhounds with Inflict Pain, and Norin began sniping at enemy archers with little success (tree cover seriously hindered him here).

Slade did some work in cleaning up the west side of the road. Caspar and Norin took out the east side before Caspar engaged in the most pathetic melee combat of the session. He and one of the ambushers spent several rounds stabbing at each other to no effect, so they had little involvement on the rest of the battle. Fabio took down one of the hellhounds with a Cold Ray, but the second one dropped him into negative hit points. Aurren began healing him and backpedaling down the road, while Norin turned his attention to helping the spellcasters and finishing the other hellhound. Horns were heard off in the distance.

Fabio regained consciousness just in time for the bladebearer to arrive. Slade likewise decided he was needed in the road—they saw reinforcements arriving. At this point, everyone was sure it would be a party wipe. They were all pretty low on hit points, although everyone was up and fighting. (“You’re trying to kill us!” was heard.) While Fabio, Norin, and Aurren took down the bladebearer, Slade found himself attacked by the priest. With just a few hit points left, Slade saw six more soldiers arriving and did the heroic thing—he charged into the mass of them, dropping two of them immediately with Steel Wind. I made a morale check, but the other four surrounded him. The priest and bladebearer eventually died, but Slade went down under a critical hit from one of the soldiers, dropping him to -12 instantly.

I had a cavalry patrol arrive from Drellin’s Ferry when there were only three warriors left; it would’ve been mopping up anyway. They took the bladebearer’s swords and priest’s holy symbol as loot. Aurren explored the farmhouse and found the money the raiders had collected. Strangely, he lied to the rest of the group about it, but they felt he was hiding something and pressed for more information. After some debate about what to do with Slade, the sergeant offered to take his corpse to Drellin’s Ferry and present it to a local druid who could reincarnate him. With everyone worn out from combat, we stopped there.

Session 3
Our party now far: Slade, Orc Swordsman; Fabio, Kalashtar Psion; Caspar, Changeling Assassin; Norin, Elf Archer; Aurren, Human Truenamer

While it wasn’t exactly a short session, much of it was spent messing around in town. Slade came back as a full-blooded orc. They sold the bladebearer’s swords and pooled almost all of their money to pay for the reincarnation. A few of them gambled much of their savings away with Kellin, and Caspar decided he had a crush on Jarett Nurth (renamed to “Jara” for my campaign). He even bought Jara a cheap amulet before Slade took a midnight swim across the river and wandered around the west bank for a bit. I’m leaving out a few things, but I didn’t find it particularly interesting.

However, they did agree with Speaker Winston to help the town figure out what was going on, but they didn’t ask hardly any follow-up questions (they requested a map and got it) and were fairly rude, so I didn’t offer the hook for Jorr or much in the way of suggestions for exploring the forest. They decided to stay off the main road and take the Witch Trail into the forest, so I ran the hydra encounter at the first crossing.

The battle was probably frustrating for them, despite them being relatively well-equipped to handle it. Slade and Caspar waded into melee, although Caspar took a lot of damage and extricated himself from combat quickly enough. Fabio shot fire, but Norin’s arrows proved ineffective. On learning that hydras were weak to fire and acid, he took a single shot with dissolving spittle before deciding to rush into melee with his flaming sword. That didn’t go particularly well for him; he died to hydra bites. The others finished it off not long after, but he was already dead. Aurren happily donned the mithral breastplate they found, however.

Session 4
Our party now far: Slade, Orc Swordsman; Fabio, Kalashtar Psion; Caspar, Changeling Assassin; Norin, Changeling Archer; Aurren, Human Truenamer

This was a short session due to time constraints, but they spent some time going back to town and bringing Norin back: he became a Changeling. They went back up the Witch Trail where, at the second crossing, they came across their first random encounter: a troll. Slade woke him up with his clanking, but the fight went very poorly for the troll. Slade basically kept him in melee while everyone else murdered him with varying amounts of attacking. We had to end there, which was a bit disappointing for me but necessary.

Session 5
After wandering the woods for the rest of that day and most of the next, they eventually came across the territorial marker, which creeped everyone out. As I’m running the adventure in Eberron, the Twistusks are now an old lycanthrope group hunted almost to extinction by Amery Vraath. They decided to go further up the road, where they encountered the now-afflicted werebear Amery cooking a large boar. He mentioned the goblins might be holding Vraath Keep but expressed a strong desire to keep to himself. They tried pretty forcefully to get him to help them and ended up angering him by mentioning his condition and the Church of the Silver Flame. Fabio, who had been urging more caution, realized that things were going extremely poorly and charmed his allies to get them to leave. He yelled at them for a bit after they left the old fortress, and as it was getting late they decided to make camp nearby.

As Fabio kept watch that night, he saw centipede swarms coming out of the hill just north of their camp. He shot fire at them and kept yelling at the others to wake up as the swarms approached. Slade got up and ran around uselessly, despite now being in possession of the flaming sword (he took it after Norin’s death to the hydra). Caspar, Norin, and Aurren all awoke to centipedes devouring them, and a series of unlucky Dexterity damage rolls found Aurren paralyzed and being eaten. Caspar did what little he could, while Norin spat acid on them until they too were brought down by the swarms. Slade finally moved in with his flaming sword after Fabio exhausted the last of his power points, and the pair stabilized Norin at -9 hit points. Caspar and Aurren had been long since devoured by the swarms.

Session 6
Our party now far: Slade, Orc Swordsman; Fabio, Kalashtar Psion; Morag, Dwarf Psychic Warrior; Norin, Changeling Archer

This session began with burials, as Fabio and Slade looted all useful scrolls, potions, and money before burying their fallen comrades. The use of some of these potions brought Norin and themselves into a good enough shape to continue, so after finishing the night they moved south to inspect Vraath Keep. On the way, they encountered a tendriculos, which devoured Slade and Norin. Morag, a dwarven mercenary who’d heard about the raiders at Drellin’s Ferry and had come to scout Vraath Keep himself, arrived during the battle and cut the creature open after Fabio dropped it with fire. Injured but still determined, they decided their new friend was trustworthy enough and moved with him to reach the keep.

Morag informed them that wolfrider patrols occasionally left the keep, and so they decided to take the long approach from the west. They were able to secretly climb the west wall, but Morag wanted to find a less dangerous approach and refused to climb. As the other three stood atop the wall, they made friends with the manticore. Thinking quickly, Fabio bluffed that Morag was affiliated with Koth, and the manticore brought the dwarf up to the wall as well.

From there, Slade went to descend into the keep while the other three surprised Koth in his study. He panicked and fled into the barracks to rally his troops. Slade opened the barracks door to find four hobgoblins and a minotaur preparing for battle. Without missing a beat, he said, “Sorry, guys—did I miss the meeting?” Slade is already badly hurt, but with the minotaur moving to engage him no one else can really reach. He gets considerably lucky with a critical hit and takes out Karkilan in only two attacks. Grievously wounded, he retreats to the courtyard and hides behind a boulder. Koth makes his way across the courtyard to get the worgriders moving.

The other three, meanwhile, have been making combat preparations and being too scared to open the door. They could hear the brief fight between minotaur and orc, and eventually Morag opens the door and throws in a smokestick. He wades into the barracks and has a confused melee with the hobgoblins, but Norin and Fabio decide such a situation is not suitable for them and they climb back outside.

Slade begins taking fire from the worgriders, although none of them hit them. I decided to make a change here and give the goblins muskets—one of the scary things about the Red Hand Horde in this adaptation is their development of firearms. Fabio and Norin begin exchanging fire with them. Fabio and Slade eventually drop to dying, but Norin stabilizes Fabio and then tries to get across the courtyard to help Slade (who, with Diehard, doesn’t have to worry about such checks).

Koth, meanwhile, comes back outside to yell at the manticore for not joining the fight, when Morag, who cleaned up the hobgoblins in the barracks, comes rushing out to deliver a grievous axe wound. By this point, Koth has had enough, so he drinks his potion of fly as the manticore drops down to fight the dwarf. Norin drops one of the goblin riders (as a DM kindness and because it made some tactical sense, the other two had gone outside the keep to see if anyone else was approaching). Morag battles with the manticore and is nearly dead, but his axe has wounded it just enough. Fabio uses the last of his power points to fry the manticore, and as it drops dead the remaining goblin raiders flee. At this point, everyone is badly injured, but they have all survived.

Session 7
Our party now far: Slade, Orc Swordsman; Fabio, Kalashtar Psion; Morag, Dwarf Psychic Warrior; Norin, Changeling Archer; Rodir, Human Scout

This session begins with the group taking stock of their situation. A human approaches—he claims he lives in these woods and keeps watch over them, and he noticed the goblins fleeing. He also saw Koth rejoin them on the road and ride north towards Skull Gorge. Although suspicious, they allow Rodir to accompany them. They find the vault passage in Koth’s study and loot the treasure vault. As none of them are particularly skilled at opening locks, they have Slade and Morag batter down the iron gates and Norin dissolve the iron coffers with acid. Fabio nabs Amery’s diary, Slade makes off with a +1 construct-bane heavy mace (though he doesn’t know that’s what it does yet), Morag stuffs the entire contents of the chest into his bag of holding, and they generally make off with a great deal of money. After looting the keep, they decide to see what’s going on at Skull Gorge, so Rodir leads the way north. They make camp not too far from Vraath’s new lodging.

By midday the next day, they arrive at Skull Gorge bridge. Slade is as unstealthy as ever, so he alerts Ozyrrandion to the group’s position, and the tower archers provide supporting fire. His breath weapon knocks Morag and Slade into the negatives, but the others force him to retreat. Fabio destroys both hellhounds, but the three remaining are not doing well by the time Ozy returns. He demands surrender from Fabio, but Norin’s continued shots anger him. He charges and bites the changeling into negatives. Using the last of his power points, Fabio nearly kills the dragon with electricity, but Rodir is unable to deal another 9 damage to the dragon as he flies away. They eventually kill the first two archers, and, not wanting a party wipe, I decide that the rest of the garrison retreated to a safe distance after Ozy left.

This is where we currently are, and I have the soldiers ready to return if they think the bridge is in danger. However, I don’t think such a thought has crossed their minds. They’ve used a lot of potions to get everyone back to positive health. Given their current state, I expect they’ll retreat and go back to Drellin’s Ferry to warn the people there. They’ll probably make their way back to Skull Gorge afterward, but they may find quite the surprise waiting for them.

RFLS
2013-03-16, 05:47 PM
Wow...This is brutal. Are you doing anything in particular to make things more deadly, or are your players doing dumb things, or are they just badly (or not at all) optimized?

Ivellius
2013-03-16, 06:27 PM
Wow...This is brutal. Are you doing anything in particular to make things more deadly, or are your players doing dumb things, or are they just badly (or not at all) optimized?

Mostly the latter two.

Out of the five players I have, only one has a lot of RPG experience. Oddly enough, he was in the first D&D group either of us ever played in seven years ago, and we ended up at the same school for post-graduate degrees. He's playing the psion and has exercised quite a bit more caution than the others.

The other four are more or less new to RPGs. One of them has been playing in a Star Wars d20 since last semester (the truenamer and later scout), two of them played in a handful of sessions with me over the last two semesters (the [half-]orc and the assassin/psychic warrior), and the last (an archer) had a single D&D session under his belt before we started this adventure. I'll admit that using a Truenamer for healing isn't optimal, but I was curious to see how the class plays, and I don't think he ever maxed out his Truespeak checks for Words of Nurturing. The initial ambush would've gone perfectly fine if they'd started with more health (the half-orc I know was less than half health), but for the first few sessions none of them saw the urgency/importance of doing that. They weren't really acting like a team or communicating to say, "Hey, I need healing."

This inexperience combined with my "no core classes" rule combined with no personal desire for optimization means that their characters could be stronger, sure. But they're powerful enough--they nearly brought down Ozyrrandion thanks to Fabio, and the EL on that bridge encounter is pretty high. The scout player will go research stuff, presumably here--some of the things he's said reflect advice I've seen around the playground. The psychic warrior player has gotten really interested in it--he built his last character with some guidance from me only for powers and feats. I've been using treasure pretty much as-is.

Aside from not taking advantage of healing, the dumbest decision by far was our low-health archer rushing into melee with the hydra. Things would've been fine otherwise.

Making things worse, since the Truenamer died they don't really have healing at all, but they've felt it was pretty urgent to get to Vraath Keep and then Skull Gorge to see what was going on. They've kept themselves going through liberal applications of potions, but they've pretty much hit the end of that. I need to update with the next session soon--they've returned to Drellin's Ferry by now.

RFLS
2013-03-17, 05:38 PM
This inexperience combined with my "no core classes" rule combined with no personal desire for optimization means that their characters could be stronger, sure. But they're powerful enough--they nearly brought down Ozyrrandion thanks to Fabio, and the EL on that bridge encounter is pretty high. The scout player will go research stuff, presumably here--some of the things he's said reflect advice I've seen around the playground. The psychic warrior player has gotten really interested in it--he built his last character with some guidance from me only for powers and feats. I've been using treasure pretty much as-is.

Aside from not taking advantage of healing, the dumbest decision by far was our low-health archer rushing into melee with the hydra. Things would've been fine otherwise.

Making things worse, since the Truenamer died they don't really have healing at all, but they've felt it was pretty urgent to get to Vraath Keep and then Skull Gorge to see what was going on. They've kept themselves going through liberal applications of potions, but they've pretty much hit the end of that. I need to update with the next session soon--they've returned to Drellin's Ferry by now.

I'm looking forward to the update, it sounds like a fun campaign.

And I've noticed that this is definitely a much harder campaign without access to free (as in, not potions) healing. I'm glad all of my groups ended up with at least one healer. The online group has 2, actually, since the alchemist took the discovery (or feat, idk) that lets his daily extracts be used by others.

Ivellius
2013-03-17, 09:51 PM
So, what happened in Session 8?

Session 8
Players never do what you expect them to. While Fabio urged everyone to just leave (he was out of power points and is basically useless when that happens), Rodir, Slade, and Morag hadn’t had enough. In fact, Rodir encouraged them to find a way to destroy the bridge—which, predictably, triggered reprisal from the remaining bridge sentries. They started loosing arrow volleys into the group, and only Rodir was able to return fire with any effectiveness.* Slade decided to completely cross the bridge and hide in one of the towers, while Morag dug through his pack for items to help destroy the bridge after noticing the weak tower with stonecunning. He didn’t really want to use his necklace of fireballs, however.

The goblins, encouraged by their superior numbers, eventually moved up to the bridge. Their sergeant engaged Slade, but he does significant damage. Despite missing on some attacks, a few good swings from the orc took the sergeant down. Those left brought Morag into negative hit points, but Rodir and Slade cleaned up with a bit of long-range arrow assistance from Fabio and Norin. I’m not sure the latter two hit with any of them, but they were doing what they could.

From here, a sharp debate broke out. Fabio again wanted to leave right then, but Rodir had realized the bridge must be pretty important and thought destroying it would delay the army. (Of course I didn’t tell him that he was right.) Norin unsurprisingly sided with Fabio, but Slade agreed to stay behind to help in whatever way he could. Not knowing about Morag’s necklace of fireballs, they decided to retrieve the dwarf’s portable ram and use it against the bridge towers. I sort of ad-libbed at that point, giving them a few dice of damage per each hour working on the task, but after a couple of hours they hadn’t brought it below half health. Deciding that Ozyrrandion would want to come back to check on the bridge, I had them spot a couple of dark flying shapes headed their way, and they decided to leave. Slade carried the unconscious dwarf, and the two force-marched to catch up with their allies.

That night’s camping was the best ever. They were near the old site they’d made just after talking to Amery, where two had been lost to centipede swarms. The dice called for a random encounter, and after rolling I couldn’t stop laughing. In the same location in which they’d once fought a full set of centipede swarms, I’d rolled for 5 centipede swarms to find their campsite. Rodir was on watch when he heard the chittering, and you’ve likely never seen 5 PCs retreat so quickly. Given that three of them could easily outrun the centipedes, I called for opposed pursuit checks to see if Slade and Morag could likewise elude the creatures. Slade rolled a 7 or so, Morag around a 5. Amused and anticipating a couple more character deaths, I rolled—only to see a natural 1 looking up from my die. I don’t really mind; it saves me the trouble of introducing new characters, but it makes for a nice story. And I know what they’re scared of.

After making a second camp and resting into the morning, the battered group set out, only to encounter a girallon. (I’ve rolled a lot of random encounters for them.) Morag decided this was the time to break out one of his prized items, so he threw one of the orbs from his necklace of fireballs. This left him out in front with an enraged girallon, which promptly charged him and brought him to -8 hit points. The rest handled the creature with little difficulty, but he failed his first stabilize check. Slade still had actions on his next turn, so he moved to make an untrained Heal check and rolled a 15. Just for curiosity, Morag’s player rolled an Autohypnosis check to see if he’d have stabilized anyway and failed. Now the orc has saved the orc-hating dwarf’s life, but I somewhat doubt it’s going to result in gratitude. Makes for a much more interesting group dynamic.

The session ended when they reached Drellin’s Ferry and Captain Soranna approached them. Convinced these goblins are a much bigger threat than anyone thought, Fabio and Rodir showed her the map and told her the invading horde was likely going to destroy the town. Her face ashen, she told them she’d talk to Speaker Winston and get the town council together. I gave them a bit to discuss how they’d approach the upcoming diplomacy. Rodir is sure that the town has to evacuate or face destruction; he wants to send a messenger east to warn Brindol. Fabio agrees that retreat is the best option but has acknowledged that Drellin’s Ferry has to make this decision on their own. The others generally follow the lead of these two.

* Norin’s player is usually late to sessions due to his class schedule, and initially I let Morag’s player control him. He wanted to use dissolving spittle to attack the tower, but the arrow volleys took him into negative HP and then death. Not wanting to kill a character while his player was absent and thinking he probably would’ve been smarter with such low health, I rewrote reality and moved him back to the woods with Fabio, giving him control over the character.

This has been a fun module so far. I’ve decided that Norro doesn’t want to acknowledge the situation and that despite the map he’s going to pretend things will be okay. The raid on Drellin’s Ferry should change his mind, and I think a familiar green dragon will be leading this assault. They’re so beaten up that having it this same night might prove fatal, but at the same time I feel like the Horde will want to send a message. I may leave it up to the whims of the dice; either way, they’ll only have a day or two to rest in town before Ozy comes calling. The Horde is due to arrive at Skull Gorge tomorrow, so a raid would be somewhat ahead of schedule, but Ozy doesn’t seem like a nice dragon and probably doesn’t like them almost killing him. Feel free to give me suggestions.

Aside from that, I think the town council meeting will play out as entertaining, and I suspect they’ll be able to argue their way despite none of them being particularly talented at diplomacy. My biggest worry is that Fabio will decide to force the issue with magic and get them kicked out of town. If that’s the case, I feel really bad for Drellin’s Ferry. Otherwise, I expect they’ll help evacuate and then take the hook to clear the northern blockades. Because it’s set in Eberron, they could somewhat legitimately expect help from Merylsward, which would be that way. But players are unpredictable, so they may end up doing something completely different. They’ve missed out on the few VPs available so far, but there’s plenty of time to make up that deficit. They also haven’t slowed the Horde any, but again, there's likely enough time.

RFLS
2013-03-17, 10:28 PM
Woah. It seems like your players are still having issues with group cohesion, and the lack of healing is just aggravating it. Is there any liklihood of them attempting to finish taking out the bridge, or is it too late?

Ivellius
2013-03-17, 10:46 PM
I don't mind the disagreements among them. Fabio and Norin were heavily injured, so it makes sense that they'd want to leave. The other three were reasonably healthy, so fighting also made sense to them. They actually did pretty well with those who could contribute, and they seem to be pretty well in agreement with how to argue their case to Drellin's Ferry. The main thing holding them back is they're just extremely beat up. Even mundane healing, however, could get them back to reasonably shape in a few days.

At this point in the timeline and per the module's suggestions, there would be quite a few soldiers swarming over the bridge. Additionally, the vanguard of the Horde's going to be there by the time they'd make it back. So, no, destroying the bridge is pretty much off the table, and talking to Amery for help could be dangerous as well.

RFLS
2013-03-17, 11:35 PM
True.... Huh. Well, looks like they'll be hard-pressed for time at their current rate. Has there been any in-group discussion about slowing the Horde's advance? I remember reading about one group that essentially turned the whole Dawn Way into difficult terrain.

Axinian
2013-03-18, 12:07 AM
This is an interesting campaign. This is probably the only one I know that didn't destroy the bridge. The time constraints seem to rarely come into play, so it'll be cool to see how it works out.

Ivellius
2013-03-18, 01:38 PM
From the other journals I've seen, time is usually sufficient for groups, so I too am eager to see how/if this affects things. Hopefully it puts a bit more pressure on everyone--half the fun of D&D is the challenge. Higher stakes make for better drama. As it stands, they certainly feel like they're up against a crunch.

Spring break is next week, so it looks likely that this week's session will be the last one this month. If I can convince them to stay around for a mega-session either just before they leave or before classes start back, I will. I'd love to do an "all-day" kind of thing to get into Part II.

sombrastewart
2013-03-18, 06:29 PM
This is the first time I've even heard of a group that didn't destroy the bridge. I can't help but imagine the Blackfens are going to give them fits, or just kill them outright.

GreyMantle
2013-03-18, 07:48 PM
In my game, they didn't destroy the bridge either. Two of the party went on a bombing run at the bridge, and successfully destroyed a few of the watchtowers. But then the party regrouped and returned to Drellin's Ferry, where they faked a zombie apocalypse to induce a general evacuation. I ruled that, since bridge had already come under fire, the Red Hand would speed up its timeline and cross a day or two early. So by the time the party returned to the bridge, it was too late.

RFLS
2013-03-19, 02:22 AM
This is the first time I've even heard of a group that didn't destroy the bridge. I can't help but imagine the Blackfens are going to give them fits, or just kill them outright.

Yeah, I'm willing to give 2:1 odds on an Internet Cookie(TM) that the players TPK somewhere in Act II.

Draz74
2013-03-19, 02:00 PM
I don't suppose you could add a couple Healing Belts to their next treasure cache? Sounds like it might make a huge difference.

Ivellius
2013-03-19, 08:25 PM
I don't own that particular book and don't particularly like the item, myself. I can understand why players would, but I enjoy the "resource management" challenge of D&D.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I also don't feel responsible that no one wanted to play a healer. Sure, they used to have one, but neither of the two new characters are. This is coming from a guy who played clerics in both of his long-term campaigns.

I'm amused at the thought of telling them we're putting odds on their wiping soon. I'd take it except...yeah, I think it's reasonably likely that'll happen.

Draz74
2013-03-19, 08:44 PM
I don't own that particular book
You should. :smallwink: I, and many other people, recommend it as the best splatbook to add to a campaign that otherwise uses only the SRD. (Then again, I hear that it's pretty expensive these days ... I'm lucky I found it on ebay at a good sale price.)

and don't particularly like the item, myself. I can understand why players would, but I enjoy the "resource management" challenge of D&D.
Well, it's only 6d6 HP/day, max, and it's got a lovely built-in temptation system, where if you use it to heal faster (which often seems prudent in the thick of combat), you reduce the overall amount of healing it's able to deliver that day. So I don't think it negates the resource management aspect of D&D by any means -- certainly not compared to class features that provide healing.

And you could always "nerf" it by treating it as a more valuable lump of treasure than the ridiculous 750 gp price tag it has in the book. I wouldn't blame you.

But hey, it's up to you.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I also don't feel responsible that no one wanted to play a healer. Sure, they used to have one, but neither of the two new characters are. This is coming from a guy who played clerics in both of his long-term campaigns.
Well, one of my few regrets about the idea of banning all PHB classes is that there aren't very appealing non-Core healing options. Favored Soul is potentially powerful, but frustrating in many ways. Truenamer ... let's just say it destroys your ability to taste ice cream. :smallamused: Binders and Dragon Shamans are sometimes toted as healer classes, but like Truenamers, they're actually rather terrible at it. Unless Vitalists (Pathfinder psionic healer class) are allowed, Egoists and Crusaders are pretty much the best options ... but looking into some homebrew non-Vancian healing classes might still be something your party would appreciate. (Assuming they're going to have to make a few more replacement characters before this is over.)

Ivellius
2013-03-19, 08:59 PM
Healing belts do seem strangely undercosted, although you can chalk that up to any number of motivations. I like some degree of lethality in games, and that item seems to fit more in a 4e-like paradigm (for lack of a better descriptor) with lots of hit points and easier health recovery. I don't mind that healing can be hard, although in a campaign like this that may end up posing some problems.

Real-life money is also an issue. I mean, I could buy the book, but any time I've looked it's cost a pretty penny. And I feel fine without it.

I'm also the only one who invests hardly anything into gaming--I supply miniatures, dice (two of them still won't buy their own), the books we use, and so on.

I agree with you in that non-core healing isn't quite as good, but our ex-Truenamer can still taste ice cream so far as I'm aware. It's not an amazing healer but--like using wands of vigor out of combat--the class isn't as bad as people make it sound. (Though it's still not particularly good.) Favored Soul would be an option, and you left out the most obvious class of all: Healer! I know, no one ever wants to play that, but...oh well. There's a sort of silly Incarnate build I could do that heals a little, but it's on the order of ~50 hp worth of healing at mid-levels, I believe. That's not a lot, but even it would be better than nothing.

Still, no one offered to be supportive, so that's what they're stuck with. *shrugs*

Greenish
2013-03-19, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'm willing to give 2:1 odds on an Internet Cookie(TM) that the players TPK somewhere in Act II.Better betting might be had on where they wipe, not if.

Well, one of my few regrets about the idea of banning all PHB classes is that there aren't very appealing non-Core healing options.Spirit Shaman is the one that immediately popped to my head.

RKV might also be handy, if you could figure out a good entry without cleric or paladin. Favoured Soul via Knight of the Raven dip, maybe, but that eats levels.

Draz74
2013-03-19, 11:48 PM
Healing belts do seem strangely undercosted, although you can chalk that up to any number of motivations. I like some degree of lethality in games, and that item seems to fit more in a 4e-like paradigm (for lack of a better descriptor) with lots of hit points and easier health recovery. I don't mind that healing can be hard, although in a campaign like this that may end up posing some problems.
OK, sounds like you've given it fair consideration. That's all I really wanted. :smallsmile:

Real-life money is also an issue. I mean, I could buy the book, but any time I've looked it's cost a pretty penny. And I feel fine without it.
Fair enough.

I'm also the only one who invests hardly anything into gaming--I supply miniatures, dice (two of them still won't buy their own), the books we use, and so on.
I hope you don't spend lots of money on miniatures. They can get really expensive. But they're also not that hard to make yourself (especially with The Giant's reward PDFs from the Kickstarter ... once he finishes the other three).

That's pretty lame about not even buying dice, though.

our ex-Truenamer can still taste ice cream so far as I'm aware. It's not an amazing healer but--like using wands of vigor out of combat--the class isn't as bad as people make it sound.
True, but that's not saying much. :smalltongue: (Considering they say it can make you lose the ability to taste ice cream. You'd better check and make sure with your party member.)

and you left out the most obvious class of all: Healer!
That was on purpose, since it's ... really not as good an option as Egoist or Crusader or Favored Soul.

There's a sort of silly Incarnate build I could do that heals a little, but it's on the order of ~50 hp worth of healing at mid-levels, I believe. That's not a lot, but even it would be better than nothing.
Incarnate is better for this as a dip in an otherwise-psionic build focused on healing. Lifebond Vestments + Vigor + Psycarnum Infusion makes out-of-combat healing ridiculously efficient in terms of how many PP it uses up. (At higher levels, the Soul Manifester PrC may be helpful to this build.)

Better betting might be had on where they wipe, not if.
QFT. I want to bet on Regiarix/Saarvith, but that's a little too obvious, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say Abithriax will finish 'em all off.

Spirit Shaman is the one that immediately popped to my head.
Feasible, but the low number of Spells Known (simultaneously) doesn't leave a lot of room for healing and also being able to do other stuff. And the higher level of Cure spells on the Druid list can be painful, especially depending on whether non-Core healing spells (Lesser Vigor, Vigor, Panacea) are available.

Greenish
2013-03-20, 12:34 AM
Feasible, but the low number of Spells Known (simultaneously) doesn't leave a lot of room for healing and also being able to do other stuff. And the higher level of Cure spells on the Druid list can be painful, especially depending on whether non-Core healing spells (Lesser Vigor, Vigor, Panacea) are available.Granted, but on the other hand, they've got lots of slots, especially for lower level spells, in case one is missing wands, and the party could really benefit from being topped up between fights.

[Edit]: For that matter, the rate that they seem to be taking damage, healer would probably get to feel pretty useful, even without going for Sanctified spells and before getting the holy pony.

Draz74
2013-03-20, 12:41 AM
This is kind of becoming unrelated to Ivellius's campaign (sorry!), but I'd just like to lodge yet another complaint against WotC for the fact that no other class can match the Cleric at healing non-HP status conditions or overcoming alignment-based DR. (Except, I guess, for a Favored Soul with an impressive scroll library, or a Healer with a very liberal interpretation of the spell-list-expanding guidelines in SpC. Or an Ur-Priest, natch.)

Greenish
2013-03-20, 12:59 AM
This is kind of becoming unrelated to Ivellius's campaign (sorry!), but I'd just like to lodge yet another complaint against WotC for the fact that no other class can match the Cleric at healing non-HP status conditions or overcoming alignment-based DR. (Except, I guess, for a Favored Soul with an impressive scroll library, or a Healer with a very liberal interpretation of the spell-list-expanding guidelines in SpC. Or an Ur-Priest, natch.)Or an artificer (who has an impressive scroll library by default, among other things). :smalltongue:

Draz74
2013-03-20, 01:19 AM
Or an artificer (who has an impressive scroll library by default, among other things). :smalltongue:

Eh, that goes without saying, since they can be good at anything if they focus on it. :smalltongue:

Ivellius
2013-04-07, 05:47 PM
I haven't updated this thread in a while. So you guys get a rather large infodump! Does anyone else die? (Spoiler: yes.)

Session 9 – Goofing Off in Town Is Our Siren Song
By way of reminder, our party this far: Rodir, human scout; Slade, orc swordsorc; Morag, dwarf psychic warrior; Norin, changeling archer; and Fabio, kalashtar psion.

To be perfectly honest, I’m going to glaze over most of this session. It wasn’t particularly interesting and was in many ways wasted time. Having gotten Soranna’s assurance to talk to the Town Speaker, they received healing and long-term care from Brother Derny and his acolytes to get them through the night.

The next day was spent goofing off in town. They counted treasure, sold some of it, and expressed their impatience with the town leadership. After a little while, they wanted to know what was going on, so they barged into the town armory to talk to Soranna. They woke her up and demanded to know why the town wasn’t evacuating; she said she’d been unable to persuade the Town Speaker and agreed to try to take him their map.

This wasn’t good enough for Morag, who decided to go see the Speaker himself. When a militia member assigned to guard the Speaker’s house stopped him, he debated on whether to kill the guy or not. I’m skipping over some stuff, but the overall story is that he, Fabio, Norin, and Slade didn’t manage to talk to the Speaker and didn’t make any particularly good or coordinated attempts to do so. (Rodir was content to wait until evening, see what the town would do, and flee for Brindol.)

My bullet notes for this part of the session:
• Rodir agrees to wait until nighttime for the town to meet, but that’s not good enough for the others
• Morag goes to the Speaker’s house, gets turned away, grabs the map, threatens the guard, and gets turned away
• Slade got incredibly drunk
• Norin messed with him by pretending to be different people

We ended the session with Rodir spotting a dark, flying shape and hearing cries from the other side of the town of “Dragon!”

Session 10 - Of Course, People Die
Seeing Ozyrrandion destroying the west side of town, Rodir goes to Captain Soranna, who is trying to gather some men to attack. She asks them if they can do anything about the dragon, suggesting that they get him to the Greens to minimize damage and perhaps fight him there. Rodir makes an excellent attack roll that does no damage but bounces off Ozy’s scales, and he takes the bait. Unfortunately, he doesn’t last long—Fabio blasts chunks out of his hit points, and all the dragon does is strafe the psion with his breath attack and set up for a full attack on Norin that never came. With Ozy down, they decide to launch across the river and deal with the additional raiders.

Slade’s player wasn’t present, so I sent the orc with Soranna and her men while the others went a different direction. The worg riders did some damage, but Fabio again shone through and helped blast them down. Rodir continued to be completely ineffective—I think the only fight in which he’s really contributed was against the hobgoblin garrison at Skull Gorge. The second wave, however, proves much more deadly. Fabio catches the front line warriors with the last of his power points and is barely able to contribute after that. I’d included an enchanter with this group that attempted to cause infighting, but everyone kept making their saves. After the caster botched a charm person, Morag died to an arrow through the eye (critical hit for 22 damage), and Norin also went down not long after. By this point, Rodir was unsuccessfully exchanging arrows with two hobgoblins, and Fabio drank a potion of invisibility to move to a better position. The enchanter, fed up with being useless, made what I thought would be a tactically foolish move and charged Rodir to grapple him. Rodir’s rotten luck continued, him being easily grappled, pinned, and, eventually choked nearly to death. Norin eventually bled out, and Fabio also fell to the enemy archers. I had Soranna, Slade, and some guards return at this point, and they managed to stabilize Fabio, kill the enchanter who had nearly suffocated Rodir completely, and stabilize the scout as well. (For those of you keeping track at home, this is two deaths for Norin and two character deaths for Morag's player.)

In the aftermath of the battle, Fabio, Rodir, and Slade convinced the Town Council to evacuate. More reincarnation shenanigans ensue: Morag was brought back as a human, and Norin came back as a goblin. I bet that will never come up or cause problems again.

Session 11 - On the Road Again
Our party this far: Rodir, human scout; Slade, orc swordsorc; Morag, human psychic warrior; Norin, goblin archer; and Fabio, kalashtar psion.

This session consisted somewhat of planning, setting up story hooks, and a decent combat encounter. Having persuaded the town to evacuate, the group had to decide their next move. Now, one of my players said the night before that they needed to fight giant wasps with goblin riders, and I do have a Heroscape figure that's fairly suitable--Sujoah, a giant wasp. The giant wasp made an appearance here (I used wyvern stats). Slade got an attack in when it landed, and it stung Norin and tried to carry off the little goblin. Rodir was again useless, as was Morag, but Fabio blasted it down with little trouble. Norin lost a lot of Constitution to its poison but ended up not dying, so there's that.

They took Norin to Brother Derny, and he repaired the Constitution damage and most of the hit point damage the next day. Now, they got to enact their plans to leave: Rodir and Fabio had agreed to find someone to send ahead to Brindol, so Teyani’s arrival was quite fortuitous. I in fact had her burst in while Rodir was talking to Soranna about sending someone ahead. They gave her the map and left her to return to Brindol.

Rodir informed the others about the blockades to the north, which fits in with another of their plans—he’s been asking me if reinforcements might come from anywhere outside the vale, and I told him Merylsward to the north was the closest city. After he shared this hook, Fabio pushed for the group going to Brindol first. They’ve basically exhausted the town’s resources, so he argued that they needed to replenish gear, sell off some of their better items, and generally equip themselves. They at first wanted to just head east and follow the road, though Morag suggested the river as an option. After inquiring about horses and being informed that Slade with his equipment was too heavy for any the town had, they switched gears completely and asked the Town Speaker for boats. He was happy enough to provide them—the town’s evacuating mainly on foot, so they chose a couple and set out. Morag, Fabio, and Rodir shared one, while Slade agreed to row for Norin and the group’s gear.

They traveled upriver for a couple of days, stopping to rest at night and having an encounter with a dryad grove the second night out. Fabio had a suspicion about the trees, being they were in the middle of a swampy area, and they decided to leave them alone. Morag was on watch when the dryads called out, and he had a brief conversation. He informed them of the Horde’s invasion but assured them that they weren’t likely threatened (I was prepared to use suggestion if he failed his Diplomacy check). Near the end of the conversation, he left them the staff of life—they have no idea what it does other than it might be magical, and he can’t make much use of it, so he left it in their grove.

Norin being a goblin now, I thought the dryads wouldn’t care much for him, and they called to him as well. He spoke back in Elven, which impressed and surprised them, and was also able to assure them that he meant them no harm. In the morning, neither Morag nor Norin shared their experiences with the rest of the group but acted as if nothing happened. They’re about to move on.

I don't really have anything witty; they're sort of between places now, and I feel pretty confident I can drag them into Rhest because of their travel vector. I'll give them a few more nights and launch a Razorfiend at them; we'll see how that goes.

Ivellius
2013-04-18, 02:12 PM
No one's posted in here for a while, but I don't suppose it's disreputable to bump myself with my next session update, is it?

Session 12 - Rolling on the River
Rodir’s player was absent this session, so he was left under control of the others. Resuming their journey, the group continues upriver when a storm hits them. (I had strange weather rolls this session.) Not wanting to continue in the storm, they decided to pull over and wait it out. Unfortunately for them, Norin went to investigate a nearby hillock, which was actually another “bog monster” (tendriculos stats). Their cries of “Storm-peace!” went unheeded. The more heavily armored characters had been forgoing armor while on the river, so Morag grabbed his bow and began running. Slade made a different decision: he charged the creature and was promptly eaten again. They didn’t really remember the previous encounter, so they weren’t entirely sure what to do with it, but they eventually brought the creature down. It was a frustrating encounter on both sides. Slade’s player complained about his fate, and Fabio griped about failing a Concentration check to use a fire ray in a thunderstorm. Eventually they killed it, and Slade actually died, although I let them use a healing potion on him to bring him back.

That night, a manticore passed near their camp. The next day, they encountered a patrol of five worg riders, who demanded they stop traveling and hand over a toll. Being so severely wounded, Slade was more than happy to pay. Norin, a goblin who knows no Goblin, was passed off as deaf, and he followed Slade’s lead. Morag negotiated to give them some money and the spiked gauntlet they found in Vraath Keep. Fabio used psionic suggestion to avoid paying anything for him and Rodir, and he later said he wouldn’t have given them any money no matter the circumstances. Given the situation, a couple of them (if not more) would have almost certainly died.

This encounter made Slade determined to wear armor while on the river, and the consequences of this decision became apparent in the next day’s thunderstorm. Being only a day or two from Talar, they wanted to keep going through the storm. Slade made a poor percentile roll, and I had lightning strike his and Norin’s boat. The goblin survived, but Slade dipped back into unconsciousness and left the boat directionless. Fortunately, the others were able to get ahold of the boat and tow it to shore. We ended there; I left them to ponder their next course of action on the riverbank as the storm continued around them. I expect they’ll seek shelter and probably make for Talar as soon as they can. They’ve wanted to reach Brindol to rest and resupply, but I’m thinking a razorfiend needs to start stalking the boats. We haven’t had much plot advancement lately.

In terms of future developments, Rodir's player's wife has expressed potential interest in joining the group, so I'd like to pull them into Rhest this next session. She wants to play an elf, and it seems like letting her play Trellyria might be a good fit. Especially given she's not sure if she wants to make it a regular thing or not. It'll be a lot of players, but we'll see how things go. The semester's nearly over anyway, so we'll have to stop with Rhest either way.

Draz74
2013-04-18, 02:48 PM
No one's posted in here for a while, but I don't suppose it's disreputable to bump myself with my next session update, is it?
Nah, you're good.

Your players continue to perform an impressive comedy of foolish decisions ...

In terms of future developments, Rodir's player's wife has expressed potential interest in joining the group, so I'd like to pull them into Rhest this next session. She wants to play an elf, and it seems like letting her play Trellyria might be a good fit. Especially given she's not sure if she wants to make it a regular thing or not. It'll be a lot of players, but we'll see how things go. The semester's nearly over anyway, so we'll have to stop with Rhest either way.

Ah boo. This is actually further than the campaign got, the time I ran RHoD, but it's still aggravating when a good story has to be cut short. :smallfrown: Although with this group, I suppose you can probably get some good "closure" in the form of a TPK. :smalltongue:

You might want to let Trellyria's player re-pick some of her feats or spells ... the default choices are pretty horrible, IIRC.

Antariuk
2013-11-15, 02:28 PM
Sorry, moderate necromancy here, but I have the best of intentions.

Any chance to see another update, Ivellius? Or did your campaign fade away with the end of the semester? I hope not, because I'm rooting for Slade :)

Ivellius
2013-11-16, 12:02 PM
Ask and you shall receive, it seems. Coincidentally I have time today to put together things, so here's what happened in what was the next session. I didn't update because I got busy at the end of the semester (but yay for my Master's degree), and it was kind of unpleasant on my end anyway. I don't like conflict. But here we go:

Session 13 - My Favorite Monster Ever
As a reminder, our party thus far: Rodir, human scout; Slade, orc swordsorc; Morag, human psychic warrior; Norin, goblin archer; and Fabio, kalashtar psion.

My recollection of this session may be somewhat foggy, but they eventually decided to make camp for a while. Once the storm cleared, they saw smoke rising in the distant and went to go investigate. Rodir ran ahead of the others to scout the place and saw what appeared to be a small, well-kept house surrounded by a hedge of trees. What I had done, in fact, was to adapt WotC’s “Something’s Cooking” scenario and use it as a way to introduce the razorfiend. Instead of an imp, the razorfiend had come across the wizard’s house, and a greatly improved calzone golem would be waiting downstairs should they investigate down there (stats available on request).

The others decided to attempt to follow him, but poor Survival skills meant that Rodir had to double back, find them, and then lead them to the house himself. They considered how best to examine the situation and eventually clustered at the back door. Fabio, exercising the most caution of anyone, decided to use Read Thoughts and detected a hungry, almost bestial creature inside (the razorfiend). Shortly after this, they triggered a fire trap on the back door , which scorched Morag and Slade (and probably Norin) if I remember correctly, as well as setting the trees on fire. Slade and Rodir didn't like this, so they went around to the front, and Fabio confirmed that the creature was still inside and still not friendly. Morag was bored of caution, so he decided to take the direct route and hack his way inside.

The door splintered from a mighty swing of his axe, and a blur of fangs and claws flew out the door. Now, razorfiends aren't particularly stout, but they do get a lot of attacks if they don't have to move, and Morag never had a particularly high AC. In the space of two rounds, both were dead: Morag savaged to death but the razorfiend quickly brought low by Norin and Fabio.

Meanwhile, the other part of the group decided to explore inside the front of the house, triggering a couch, an iron poker, and a curtain cord to attack. Slade, hearing the fighting out back, rushed toward his allies, ending up in the kitchen with Norin. Rodir, unable to apply skirmish damage, battled ineffectually with the furniture--he couldn't really damage it, but they did basically no damage to him, either.

Inside the kitchen, Slade and Norin noticed a door with a chair wedged in front of it. Now, anyone familiar with the scenario would know where that door leads (downstairs). Anyone who stopped to think about it might question why the chair would be there. And most players with few hit points would be cautious about opening anything for any reason ever.

Slade opened the door, and I handed Morag's player a new stat sheet.

Gentle reader, you may not remember, but Slade's hit points were not at what you might call an adequate level to go toe-to-toe with a Greater Calzone Golem. The creature stormed up the stairs and pounded the orc into orc pulp. Fabio ran around the house to find Rodir. Norin fled out the door and went around to the front of the house, but the creature simply went through the wall. The goblin valiantly tried to escape but was crushed by the automaton. Fabio attacked the creature with fire (seriously, does this seem like a good idea?) and was furious when it only made the creature stronger. His heroic stand (as well as increased Scout movespeed) enabled Rodir, who was still struggling with the couch, to run, but he too was slain by the golem.

Fabio's player has a bit of a temper, so he slammed his hands down on the table and started ranting about the fight. It resulted in hard feelings all around, which is partly why I never went back to finish the campaign journal, but with everyone but one character dead the campaign was essentially over.

In hindsight, I think I'd increase the pace of XP progression just a bit for players, but their newness and frequently poor decisions did them in and put them always behind where they needed to be. Was a calzone golem horribly mean? Yes. Were there ways to kill it? Also yes, though I don't know if the group could've done so easily enough in their weakened state. Slade and Morag could've dealt significant damage to it (and cold damage would've hampered it as well), so I don't think I should feel too bad about inflicting it upon them. And I don't think it's been a particularly poor opinion of the module, either: Rodir's player is planning to run RHoD with some people he knows on Roll20.

There you go.

Draz74
2013-11-16, 02:41 PM
I take it Morag being "bored of caution" meant he didn't even manifest Vigor before he opened the door that he knew housed something monstrous?

Ivellius
2013-11-26, 12:46 AM
I take it Morag being "bored of caution" meant he didn't even manifest Vigor before he opened the door that he knew housed something monstrous?

It's been so long I have no real idea. I'm not sure if he even had that power--most of my players were relatively inexperienced, including him.