PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat when you play tabletops?

Grindle
2013-03-14, 01:49 PM
What do you eat/drink when you play D&D/other roleplaying games?

I play D&D across from a Wienerschnitzel ... so you can probably guess. :smallwink:

Talakeal
2013-03-14, 02:10 PM
Chip A'hoy and Hawaiian punch.

killem2
2013-03-14, 02:11 PM
We do a potluck, since we always have a fair number of players and have 100% attendance!

Last time we had wraps with spicy chicken, some pop, and some fruit salad (just a mix of fruit).

Before that, we had tacos, and snacks.

Before that, chili!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-14, 02:13 PM
My groups tend to start right after dinner, so usually not much. We've ordered pizza a few times. And occasionally I'll use M&Ms or something as minion tolkens-- kill a mook, eat the candy.

DrBurr
2013-03-14, 02:28 PM
I'm on a first name basis with the local Pizzeria sometimes they give me discounts for repeated service

LeoLionxxx
2013-03-14, 02:35 PM
The other week I made rice crispy squares for my group - and then it was canceled due to weather so family and I ate it. But then, when we played the next weekend I wipped up another batch the night before. Really quick and simple to make.:smallwink:

Tea and lemonade also made the list for that one, and then later we had some pizza.

Rhynn
2013-03-14, 02:39 PM
Usually we get pizza, burgers, or kebab. 'sall good. One guy always brings his own bottle of wine.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-03-14, 02:42 PM
Since we play at my house, I mostly take charge of snacks and suchlike. Some nights we order pizza. When we don't, everyone either eats before they come or picks up fast food on the way. During the game, we often have chips, pre-packaged cookies and the like. (One of our group has some pretty serious food allergies so we tend to stick to things that we know are safe.) I keep the fridge stocked with sodas and beers and everyone pretty much just helps themselves over the course of the night. Some nights someone will decide to bring some kind of drink or snack along for the group. I was actually introduced to my favorite liquor to add to sodas and such when a player brougth a bottle to share at D&D night.

Since I enjoy cooking and especially baking, some nights (once every two or three months) I'll put together some homemade cookies, pie, brownies or something (with all recipes and ingredients being approved by the player with the allergies, of course.)

Kiero
2013-03-14, 02:46 PM
We play on a weekday evening, after dinner. I bring a carrot, along with babybel cheese and mejdool dates. The latter two are shared with the group.

AntiTrust
2013-03-14, 02:48 PM
Soup and a sandwich from the local jasons deli. We usually play sundays so if I don't end up getting there before the church crowd arrives I usually order a little jimmyjohns for delivery

Jay R
2013-03-14, 03:26 PM
A few years ago, the husband of one of our players was making sausages. He changed his mind at the last minute, shaped the meat carefully before cooking, and served us rat on a stick.

TheThan
2013-03-14, 04:01 PM
Cheetos and mountain dew
Ok jokes aside we usually get some sort of party snack mix or like chips and dip for dnd night. Although we usually have cola of some kind (a favorite is generic brand mountain dew). We usually eat before the game so nothing super heavy. Occasionally we order out.

TypoNinja
2013-03-14, 04:25 PM
Chicken Shawarma. There's a place right where I get off the bus when heading to my DM's house for game, always grab it on the way by.

In terms of munchies, that varies, but with a Bulk Barn nearby, the answer is usually "What do I feel like this week".

Previously it was yogurt covered raisins. Yum!

Vknight
2013-03-14, 04:41 PM
Chips, Cookies, and other snacks.
Pizza, Sausage, Burgers

Every now and then I do my Pork Shoulder Steam Buns and other things like Potstickers

dethkruzer
2013-03-14, 04:46 PM
A few years back when I was taking part in weekly game sessions, I would usually pick up some coca cola, potato chips, and something sweet on the way over to the DMs place, sometimes I also picked up a pizza or other similar take-away foods.

Chilingsworth
2013-03-14, 05:15 PM
My dm lives in a duplex. The owner of a very good pizzaria rents the other unit. So, we order form them most of the time and almost always get some sort of freebie. At worst, a giant order of (deliciously sugar and fat covered) cinnamon sticks, at best a pizza. I used to order their broccoli, garlic, and shrimp pizza (which became my favorite pizza ever.) But, then I discovered their giros when I was too short on cash to order a pizza. I haven't ordered the pizza since.

Averis Vol
2013-03-14, 05:20 PM
It's random for my group. Being the chef in the group Sometimes I barbecue anything from burgers to kebabs, we make stir fry or we shout back and forth for about two hours trying to decide what we want for dinner, and inevitably end up going to charleys Sandwich shop.

we generally don't start til midnight on saturday nights, and sometimes we just drive over to dennys after the game; with so many place around where I live (we play at my place) theres pretty much anything we could want in the area.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-14, 05:23 PM
Pizza and soda of choice.

Pizza is a great-tasting, high-energy food, as is soda, and the pizza offsets the caffeine symptoms, leaving players from being all hyperactive.

Occasionally I get chinese, but then I'm hungry in like two hours.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-14, 06:17 PM
Pizza and soda. Sometimes there are chips if it's at a person's house.

Raimun
2013-03-14, 06:57 PM
Sometimes nothing, sometimes a sandwich or something. Occasionally, somebody makes something for everybody and/or everyone has beer or wine. There's always coffee.

Asmodai
2013-03-14, 06:59 PM
We usually don't eat and play. We take a break to eat ordered food or what I cooked as the games are held at my place. I make everything from sandwiches, to steaks, lasagna, all kinds of pasta and salads. One of my gamers is also loves to cook so he occasionally takes over the cooking duties.

Jack of Spades
2013-03-14, 07:27 PM
The groups I've been a part of have generally taken food breaks, going to some fast-food restaurant or to a grocery store and getting snacks (or ingredients for snacks).

It actually makes me shudder a little bit. So much greasy food.. Ugh.

Alternatively, I've seen a lot of games that are actually played inside of a Denny's or some other restaurant that's open 24 hours a day. The waitstaff enjoys the tips, and as long as you're not gaming in the middle of the day (most gamers I know are night-owls) the management doesn't mind.

Quorothorn
2013-03-14, 07:46 PM
Simple microwaved or homemade popcorn, generally speaking.

Sylthia
2013-03-14, 08:06 PM
Usually pizza if we play for a while. Always try to have coke on hand.

Snack wise, usually trail mix or something like that. I try to stay away from stuff that leaves orange crud on my fingers.

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 08:20 PM
Back when I had an IRL group, it was either Chick-Fil-A, or a burger joint usually.

Guizonde
2013-03-14, 08:28 PM
what do we eat when we're gaming? beer. oh, and coca-cola for the teatotallers.

regarding actual chewy food, dried meat in all its glorious, mouth watering forms *drools* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie) mostly (southern france will do that to you, turns out it's great for gaming well into the night, being high calorie)

... don't judge us, in vino veritas after all

Raimun
2013-03-14, 08:55 PM
what do we eat when we're gaming? beer. oh, and coca-cola for the teatotallers.

regarding actual chewy food, dried meat in all its glorious, mouth watering forms *drools* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie) mostly (southern france will do that to you, turns out it's great for gaming well into the night, being high calorie)

... don't judge us, in vino veritas after all

I'm going to judge you.

My judgement is: That is awesome. :smallcool:

Chilingsworth
2013-03-14, 09:11 PM
I'm going to judge you.

My judgement is: That is awesome. :smallcool:

Agreed!

Actually sounds like something I'll try to get my folks to do when I teach them to play (either this weekend or next, just waiting for their dice to come in the mail.)

What specifically do you suggest?

Guizonde
2013-03-14, 09:34 PM
Agreed!

Actually sounds like something I'll try to get my folks to do when I teach them to play (either this weekend or next, just waiting for their dice to come in the mail.)

What specifically do you suggest?

truly depends where geographically you are, and if you trust your butcher's quality (i know i've got 3 different ones based on my needs).

i'd recommend dry- or semi-dry saucisson (less grease on the fingers), especially if made with real guts (not plastic, you can't eat that), bayonne ham, chorizo (mild or spicy, to taste), salami (pretty greasy though), aaaaaand toasted whole-wheat bread with a paté of your choice (pheasant, boar, pork, hell, even duck mousse). then again, i'm most likely speaking gibberish to you guys, seeing as how i don't know where you guys live.

when in doubt, deli meats and jerky should help you yanks out. remember one rule: screw the price, quality before all. you're roleplaying, make sure it's as memorable to the palate as to the imagination! [/gourmand]

OverdrivePrime
2013-03-14, 09:43 PM
Usually we get together to game on Thursdays after everyone has dinner with their families, so most nights we just have 3-4 six packs of craft beers (I generally bring Imperial Stouts or Scotch Ales, others bring more hoppy offerings) and usually chips and salsa or pretzels.

Back before everyone was married, we'd usually eat dinner together while preparing for the game. I'd usually make a huge pot of spaghetti bolognese.

Chilingsworth
2013-03-14, 09:47 PM
I can definately get my hands on some acceptable pate and salami. I'm in the northeastern U.S. I've never heard of saucisson *checks wikipedia* Hmm, looks alot like salami to me.
As for chorizo, I get get something called that, but I wouldn't eat it uncooked.

Delimeats and jerky are of course available.

Thanks for the advice! :smallbiggrin:

russdm
2013-03-14, 10:04 PM
We usually eat players or monsters or the mountain dew.

Acanous
2013-03-14, 10:07 PM
Pizza for the most part. Sometimes burgers or Chinese.

Although if the title of this thread had been "What do you eat when you Roleplay", I'd have had a very different answer ;)

Lorsa
2013-03-15, 04:49 AM
Usually don't eat while playing, although for long sessions there may be food breaks where we get something depending on where we are at the moment. I won't play any tabletop without access to coca cola though.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-15, 07:07 AM
We usually eat players or monsters or the mountain dew.

1. Embark on an epic campaign-spanning quest to destroy a McGuffin at Mount Dew.

2. Finally and heroically arrive at Mount Dew, after many tears, sweat, blood, laughter, and sacrifice.

3. Destroy the artifact after great personal struggle and excellent roleplay, casting it into the fires and defeating the BBEG forever.

4. Drink the contents of the mountain.

5. ???

6. Profit.

TuggyNE
2013-03-15, 07:18 AM
3. Destroy the artifact after great personal struggle and excellent roleplay, casting it into the acid and defeating the BBEG forever.

Fixed that for you.

BlckDv
2013-03-15, 07:48 AM
We have a soft arrangement that everyone supplies snacks for common munchage, and we have a reasonable idea that Player Y always brings fruit, Player Z brings/makes cookies, etc.

Our play does include dinner/supper (evening meal) and we have a fixed rotation that includes the DM for who has to provide the food. The person in charge can elect to cook something, order pizaa, whatever, but it is on their tab. If you are going to miss your night on food, you have to get it covered (usually by trading with the person before or after you).

We used to do an "everyone toss in 5 bucks and we order something" but over time we realized that putting a specific person in charge of each meal means a wider variety of foods, and lets folks for whom 5 bucks a game is a big deal have a longer time to prep, and they can make use of food they already have to save some cash when they need to. As long as we don't end up with noodles with butter and cheese too often, no one minds.

Krazzman
2013-03-15, 08:32 AM
Drinks:
Tea, Water and Bionade. Sometimes a Guinness (Extra Stout or Draught depending on what is there) or Wine/[Sekt] dunno the english word.

Food:
We cook. Depends on where we play. At my place either my GF or I cook something, we had Lasagna, Teriyaki Burgers or do some simple things like Spaghetti wtih Pesto/Sauce.
Most of the times we cook vegetarian since one of us is a vegetarian and since my GF can't handle Laktose (Cow-milk and other cow-milkproducts) we either watch for that too. One of our Players dislikes most vegetables.

The best dessert we got so far were: Vegan Mousse au chocolat or how you write it. Easy and quick to make and pretty filling...

Gamer_Wife
2013-03-15, 09:08 AM
Our GM/Host & his wife are diabetic & dont allow their children to have soda. So bringing Soda to their home creates ... conflict between the parents & the children. They made "normal food" for us twice & had to have insulin shots near the end of the session So when it was my turn to cook I brought Whole Fruits & Veggies & Cheese & we made big trays of finger foods out of them. I also brought Fried chicken for the meat. The next gaming night they cooked again & made beef stew with rolls.

I think I prefer finger foods. like meat & cheese trays & raw vegetable trays: Its clean & you cant really over eat on raw veg. Well not where it has a negative effect on you.

prufock
2013-03-15, 09:30 AM
Beef jerky, nuts (usually almonds), seeds (sunflower or pumpkin), veggie chips, water or fruit juice (100% real fruit), might start making smoothies now that I have a blender, dark chocolate, fruit/veggies, guacamole/salsa, cheese, yogurt, banana chips, salads...

Obviously not all at the same time.

JellyPooga
2013-03-15, 06:27 PM
I've always liked the idea of having a meal be the game. You know, a proper sit-down, three (or more) course cooked dinner where everyone plays a character of some description, including the Host (read: GM). There's all sorts of level of detail and styles you could go for. Would probably work well with the Vampire: The Masquerade crowd, or similar.

TuggyNE
2013-03-15, 07:23 PM
I've always liked the idea of having a meal be the game. You know, a proper sit-down, three (or more) course cooked dinner where everyone plays a character of some description, including the Host (read: GM). There's all sorts of level of detail and styles you could go for. Would probably work well with the Vampire: The Masquerade crowd, or similar.

Hrng. That just permanently killed any and all desire I might ever have had to try VtM. Probably just as well! :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2013-03-15, 10:56 PM
Hrng. That just permanently killed any and all desire I might ever have had to try VtM. Probably just as well! :smalltongue:

Seconded, mostly. However, I still have hope because apparently in X: the Y you can use teleport (apportation?) magic to remotely drop grenades on people. Although that sounds ridiculously fun, I get the feeling that wouldn't go over too well in an actual game.

Marillion
2013-03-15, 11:26 PM
Cheeseburger Roulette is something that happens with some regularity. That is when our GM goes to a fast food drive through, says "I want three of each sandwich on your dollar menu, unlabeled", and brings them to gaming. When someone gets hungry, he just throws a random cheeseburger at them. Maybe it's bacon, maybe it's mushroom & swiss. That's the excitement of cheeseburger roulette.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-15, 11:34 PM
Lately, pizza & chips or candy. Hopefully not just snacks cuz then I just kinda wanna barf. Speaking of which...

Formerly, tons of wine. Once I played an alcoholic veterinarian in Serenity and IRL drank enough to pass out; method acting.

BlckDv
2013-03-16, 12:27 PM

I can attest that this can be awesome. In a oWoD Vampire LARP I played in we had a meeting with players from many different real world cities all invited by an Elder to his Domain, and in real life the player of said Elder arranged to rent an entire restaurant which was a cool German Colonial building that may have once been a mill and all the guests helped defray the costs.

We arrived on a chartered bus in costume and game was dinner, with many of the players having met for the first time at the "cocktail hour" RP as we waited for the bus. Having so much real world mystery really added to the effect, and made socializing and power broking an amazing experience. Players whose PCs were unable to eat had to put up little signs that they were eating only OOC so that others could react as they wished.

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but obviously folks who didn't expect to like it were not likely to have accepted invites and paid for the trip.

Guizonde
2013-03-16, 12:37 PM
Formerly, tons of wine. Once I played an alcoholic veterinarian in Serenity and IRL drank enough to pass out; method acting.

my best in-game buddy for my dwarven cleric of pelor is a halfling monk who wants to prestige into drunken master, and he's one of the teatotallers of the group. so i drink his share:smallbiggrin:! last night, i had an alcohol fuelled insight and he had a fatigue-induced insight happen simultaneously, meaning that the dwarf and halfling teamed up to chop off the sorceror's hand to run away faster. i do believe amputation is rare in pen and paper (based on reading the forum), especially when the dm isn't responsible for it. according to my dm, he's never seen a game where that happened (after over a decade of gaming)

@chillingsworth: saussisson is very dry, salami is wet, therein lies the difference (saussisson is french, and iirc salami is italian). regarding chorizo, you must be finding choricitos, ie fresh chorizo. cook that, it's delicious grilled. since you're in the northeast, trust the jewish and italian descendants, they know their stuff. bon apétit!

oh, and raimun, can i sig this?

I'm going to judge you.

My judgement is: That is awesome.

my first compliment! :smallbiggrin:

LeoLionxxx
2013-03-16, 05:52 PM
A good snack to bring would be Date Squares, just so you can say "And I brough dates for everyone!":biggrin:

Hyde
2013-03-16, 06:11 PM
At the table, we eat Tim snacks. usually snacky cakes. they're called Tim snacks because Tim brings them, and we have a six year-old.

We usually eat dinner together, so that's usually some kind of meat and bread. Spaghetti's pretty common.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-17, 12:05 AM
A good snack to bring would be Date Squares, just so you can say "And I brough dates for everyone!":biggrin:

You are a cruel, cruel person.

Also,

"Be on your best behavior, I brought my date here with me."

Gnome Alone
2013-03-17, 12:53 AM
You are a cruel, cruel person.

Also,

"Be on your best behavior, I brought my date here with me."

"I know what we can eat... his heart!" /macabrecannibalroleplayersmode

UndertakerSheep
2013-03-17, 03:47 AM
My players usually bring their own chips and dips, with occasional cookies. We all eat dinner separately before we get together.

I always bring apples to the game, and sometimes bananas. I like fruit a lot more than chips.

Amidus Drexel
2013-03-17, 08:14 PM
Pizza and soda. Sometimes there are chips. Sometimes someone makes cookies.

Raimun
2013-03-18, 12:56 PM
my best in-game buddy for my dwarven cleric of pelor is a halfling monk who wants to prestige into drunken master, and he's one of the teatotallers of the group. so i drink his share:smallbiggrin:! last night, i had an alcohol fuelled insight and he had a fatigue-induced insight happen simultaneously, meaning that the dwarf and halfling teamed up to chop off the sorceror's hand to run away faster. i do believe amputation is rare in pen and paper (based on reading the forum), especially when the dm isn't responsible for it. according to my dm, he's never seen a game where that happened (after over a decade of gaming)

@chillingsworth: saussisson is very dry, salami is wet, therein lies the difference (saussisson is french, and iirc salami is italian). regarding chorizo, you must be finding choricitos, ie fresh chorizo. cook that, it's delicious grilled. since you're in the northeast, trust the jewish and italian descendants, they know their stuff. bon apétit!

oh, and raimun, can i sig this?

my first compliment! :smallbiggrin:

Of course you can. :smallsmile:

Lord Torath
2013-03-18, 02:00 PM
Carrot sticks. My kids (yes, I DM for my kids) can go through over a pound of carrots in one session.

When I played, we took turns bringing Pizza until everyone got tired of it. Then we either brought our own, or ate before hand.

Kikon9
2013-03-18, 07:28 PM
Chili, Pizza, or pasta. Then cakes, pastries or pies. (One of my players is a very generous baker.)

Gnome Alone
2013-03-18, 11:08 PM
Carrot sticks. My kids (yes, I DM for my kids) can go through over a pound of carrots in one session.

You are clearly an awesome person, m'lord. I'm getting several layers of warm fuzzy emos from thinking about that.

Exediron
2013-03-19, 12:40 AM

Just wait until your kids are old enough to DM for you!

My food of choice for a tabletop game is pizza, but so long as it isn't anything messy (Alfredo noodles come to mind as something to avoid) I'll put up with it.

Templarkommando
2013-03-19, 12:45 AM
This one is gonna be a little haphazard.

I remember when we'd go up to play DnD about a year ago, every time we would go, our DM would mi up some spicy pretzels. I don't remember all of the steps, but I'm sure our aspiring chefs could add their own favorite ingredients.

Basically a bit of vegetable oil, some hot sauce (I know at least once he used packets from Taco Bell), and assorted other spices. Off the top of my head, cumin and garlic powder seem like good candidates. He also mixed it with ranch dressing mix at least once, and that one was pretty good. He'd put all that in a zipper bag and shake it up and set it on its side so it could accumulate on the pretzels. Wait twenty minutes put it on a different side until everything is nice and coated and then eat.

Something that I'd like to try some day are period medieval candies. I remember back in High School a couple of the girls did a project related to Shakespeare(yeah Renaissance, i know...) , and their idea was to make period candy. The candy was hard and had honey and cinnamon in it, but other than that I have no clue what was in it.

The everyday tends toward chips, sandwiches, burgers, and pizza. In college there was an Arby's like right across the street, so we'd do that nearly every session. I also like to have a nice supply of 2 liter sodas and ice on hand.

TheOOB
2013-03-19, 02:24 AM
Usually just water, occasionally Little Caesers. We all know to eat before we come.

Felandria
2013-03-19, 02:48 AM
For the last year or so, we've held our games at the nearby Denny's.

I usually go for the Chicken Fried Steak, double hash browns, extra gravy.

eepop
2013-03-19, 04:06 PM
We play at my place Sunday usually 8-5.

Breakfast
Biscuits
Scrambled Eggs
Bacon, Bacon, and more Bacon
Orange Juice, Random Fruit Juice, Milk and Chocolate Milk

Lunch
Barbecue. Throw it on the grill and make magic happen. I'll rarely do something that's not Barbecue, but its few and far between. I am a Texan after all. I usually pick a couple things based on which meats are cheaper at the supermarket that week:
Porkchops
Chicken
Brisket
Sausage
Hamburgers
Hotdogs and Chili (if I am feeling lazy)

Sweet Tea by the gallon, Soda, piles of Capri-Sun, Bottled Water to drink

PhallicWarrior
2013-03-19, 09:16 PM
For the last year or so, we've held our games at the nearby Denny's.

I usually go for the Chicken Fried Steak, double hash browns, extra gravy.

Great Smouldering Pants, they let you do that?!

Now I know where I'm hosting my next session...

When I game I'm usually the GM, and food gets in the way of my RPing several different characters at the same time. I have a longstanding tradition of bringing snacks for my players, but people who bring me stuff that lets me keep talking and thus GMing longer sometimes get in-game rewards.

There was one NWoD game I was a player in where the GM and his girlfriend were excellent cooks so they served us food they made themselves. One notable plot arc took place predominantly in Italy, and every session we spent there was punctuated with a meal that echoed what we were eating in-game. That game was delicious.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-20, 01:25 PM
Great Smouldering Pants, they let you do that?!

It makes perfect sense from the restaurant's perspective. They get ~3 repeat customers every week (which is reason enough on it's own) who are having a good time and associating positive memories with the restaurant, and will probably give good word-of-mouth.

As long as they don't scare people off, keep the noise level appropriate, and order food/drinks (so they aren't crowding out other customers), it's all upside.

BlckDv
2013-03-20, 03:34 PM
It makes perfect sense from the restaurant's perspective. They get ~3 repeat customers every week (which is reason enough on it's own) who are having a good time and associating positive memories with the restaurant, and will probably give good word-of-mouth.

As long as they don't scare people off, keep the noise level appropriate, and order food/drinks (so they aren't crowding out other customers), it's all upside.

I ran a 3E campaign at a local Godfather's Pizza that had a buffet with salad and pasta as well as pizza for over a year. The staff knew us and would even try to make sure the seating area with the best power outlets was clear for us (so we could use laptops etc.) We'd all stop by and order the buffet as we arrived, then play for 4-6 hours. It was great; it was a fairly large party, with 7-9 players + DM each game, and often a couple of kids if one of the players couldn't make childcare plans.

Meeting at the restaurant for a party like that was a lot of stress off the shoulders of anyone having to host the large group; Now that I'm hosting the game I run at my place, I have a 6 player hard cap for both campaign balance and space at table reasons.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-20, 04:14 PM
I feast upon the hopes and dreams of first-time players!:smallfurious:

NOM! NOM! NOM!

:smallwink:
:smalltongue:

GeekGirl
2013-03-20, 05:16 PM
The house we meet at now has really good delivery sushi place, so generally that or something you can find a a Chinese place.

JackRose
2013-03-20, 07:21 PM
We play on a college campus, so mostly portable snack foods- pistachios are a personal favorite, but we've also had cookies, chips, etc.

Felhammer
2013-03-20, 10:01 PM
We snack on chips (Chester's puffed corn, Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips and Pretzels). We usually drink Diet Pepsi or occasionally orange soda and mountain dew. For dinner, we eat a variety of food from fast, to take-out, to pizza to deli-made turkey sandwiches.

eulmanis12
2013-03-21, 09:35 AM
usually either Pizza or Chinese takeout

generally with some chex mix, chips and dip or other assorted munchies.

and of course several cans of Root Beer or Mountain Dew per person

QuidEst
2013-03-25, 08:26 AM
I eat the hopes and dreams of my players. They're tasty.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-03-25, 08:52 PM
personally i like smart food white cheddar popcorn, that stuff is crazy good lol.

other then that i normally have a pretty decent bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers are good..i have stated two cheese products..do i like cheese? i must like cheese. i just had a revelation.

Felandria
2013-03-25, 10:52 PM
Speaking of Denny's, they have Baconalia going on right now, and I saw they have Bacon milkshakes.

I'm intrigued, but scared.

Griffith!
2013-03-29, 12:17 AM
I used to DM a game at a Denny's and a game at a local pizzeria/video rental place. The former because it was almost a literal midpoint for all my players, and the latter because I went to school with the owner and half the employees.

So, mostly, I ate omelets and cheesy-bread with bacon on.

Lately though, we play at one of my player's houses and eat Doritos and occasionally McDonald's breakfast.

Kildahr
2013-03-29, 01:49 PM
For a basic session at home, we usually go with whatever is in the pantry or on sale from the local grocer that week.

We tend to avoid a bunch of the stuff I've seen mentioned - sodas, chips, take-out food, pizza . . . we either get together and cook something before the sessions or put out bowls of snacks.

Grapes, Crackers, meat platters, cheese platters, a pitcher of chilled water, a pitcher of something sweet (but non-carbonated), and usually two or three dips for the crackers.

I started writing articles for the team over at DM Fiat, and as part of my welcome package I got some of their products from RPGDriveThru - If you're looking for some easy recipe ideas for food that works with tabletop gaming, I'd recommend their Spoon and Fork: A Gamers Guidebook to Cooking and Eating (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/59434/Spoon-and-Fork%3A-A-Gamers-Guidebook-to-Cooking-and-Eating).

Does anyone have any good recipes for non-carbonated drinks? I tend to do large pitchers of Crystal Light or "Old Man Limeade." Because my groups tend to drink more than they eat, I just keep rotating Crystal Light flavors; I'd like to try some new drinks, though ^_^

Black Jester
2013-03-29, 01:59 PM
For quite some time, all gaming sessions in that one group I played in included that we cooked together. Usually, the meal of the evening had a thematic connection to the scenario we played, so when we were in an Arabian 1001 Nights setting, we had couscous, in the hall of th Viking jarl it was meat and mead (it helped that one of the guys we played with was both hunting and lived on a farm where he raised a few animals. We usually had great meat and terrific sausages).
In the same group we also drank a lot of tea, produced at the gaming table in a process resembling alchemy and using an old (and rather gaudy) samovar.
It was simple, actually, and started just as a mean of finding a menu for the evening, but because relatively much thinking went into the selection of meals, we ate really well most of the times.

ORione
2013-04-29, 09:27 PM
Last time I played, we had these pickle-flavored chips. I thought they were gross, but somehow I kept taking a handful whenever they were passed to me.

Maybe I felt the need to engage in defensive eating (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=defensive+eating).

RebelRogue
2013-04-29, 09:36 PM
We use a rotating schedule, basically taking turns to cook. As for beverages, it's usually just water, though I bring along some diet soda a lot of the time. Snacks and candy at game night is infrequent these days.

TypoNinja
2013-04-30, 01:46 AM
I eat the hopes and dreams of my players. They're tasty.

I head a DM like that once, he viewed the game as him vs the players.

Learned how to Optimized/minmax out of self defense cause of that DM, if you weren't clever IC and OOC you was dead :P

BWR
2013-04-30, 02:50 AM
With my oldest group we almost always get a pizza. Sometimes a kebab. The joint we order from has been delivering here for 10 years, some times up to three times per week (with three different groups), so they know us.
Soda and fruit for snacks.

With the another group we usually just munch on snacks like potato chips, tortilla chips and fruit. One guy nearly always brings beer and wine.

With a third it varies. Many of the players are poor uni students so they bring along cheap canned foods and prepare them here. Soda is all over the place with this one.

Flame of Anor
2013-04-30, 02:30 PM
We usually snack on fruit or banana bread or something, then at dinnertime take a break for pizza. Or occasionally Chinese food, until we had our "Abilene paradox" and realized that none of us actually liked it.

prophetic_joe
2013-04-30, 02:37 PM
I usually just drink coffee. Wierd I expected when I got back into playing it would include snacking.