PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Life Sans Eternal Strife

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 03:31 PM
So, a thought occured to me recently about immortality in the DnD world and how the only two immortal(Not invulnerable, but not going to die of aging.) non-Gods we've seen so far in the comic are Xykon and Malack(I don't count Redcloak, since removing his Crimson Mantle would make him age again, I presume.), and those thoughts led to a question.

How many ways could a character become immortal*, and still remain at least Neutral on the Good-Evil axis? I know about the Deathless thing, and if memory serves, there's some Lich template that's not evil, but that's all I can recall.

*They don't need to be invulnerable, I just mean immortal as it works with aging.

Greenish
2013-03-14, 03:33 PM
Elan, killoren, and warforged all have no maximum age (and thus do not die of old age).

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 03:51 PM
Elan, killoren, and warforged all have no maximum age (and thus do not die of old age).

Ah, interesting. I forgot some races don't die of old age.

Wings of Peace
2013-03-14, 03:53 PM
The Baelnorn and the Archlich are the two non-evil lich types. For information on the Baelnorn see Faiths and Pantheons, The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and Monsters of Faerun. For the Archlich see Monsters of Faerun.

Juntao112
2013-03-14, 03:57 PM
You could keep getting reincarnated, either by the spell of the same name, or the higher level version that does not cause level loss.

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 04:02 PM
The Baelnorn and the Archlich are the two non-evil lich types. For information on the Baelnorn see Faiths and Pantheons, The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and Monsters of Faerun. For the Archlich see Monsters of Faerun.

This was very useful to my research. Thanks! :smallsmile:

You could keep getting reincarnated, either by the spell of the same name, or the higher level version that does not cause level loss.

Hmmm, would certainly be one way to do it, though, that would require either being the class that gets the Reincarnate spells, or having a buddy who is(And who is also immortal.)

Gurgeh
2013-03-14, 04:03 PM
If you don't mind going through a ten-level prestige class with a non-full caster progression and some fairly strong roleplaying restrictions, the Green Star Adept gets immortality as its capstone ability - the rules text explicitly mentions that you cease ageing and could potentially hang around for thousands of years provided you don't get destroyed.

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 04:03 PM
If you don't mind going through a ten-level prestige class with a non-full caster progression and some fairly strong roleplaying restrictions, the Green Star Adept gets immortality as its capstone ability - the rules text explicitly mentions that you cease ageing and could potentially hang around for thousands of years provided you don't get destroyed.

What book would that be in?

Greenish
2013-03-14, 04:04 PM
Now that I think of it, there is a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0) for this. Outside race, it seems your best shot is the Wedded to History feat.

Shadowknight12
2013-03-14, 04:08 PM
The ghost template has no influence on alignment. It is one of the scant few undead types (particularly the "iconic" kind) who is just as likely to be good-aligned as evil-aligned or neutral-aligned.

Having said that, Libris Mortis and Savage Species both point out that undead PCs who free themselves from the creature who spawned them may regain their previous alignment and retain their undead form.

And BoED does give us that very expensive spell that turns people good. As well as rules for brainwashing anyone into goodness. No reason why you can't have a character retain the undead type (and the immortality it implies) and then turn good by either of these means.

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 04:10 PM
Acorn of Far Travel+Naja Fountain from SK=immunity to the flow of time. But that's probably not what you're looking for...

As for the never dying thing, I do know of an actual solution:
Become a ghost.
Get the psionic-scroll-stone-thing (AFB) with the power "True Mind-swap."
Get a: any of the races that have no maximum age (Elan, Warforged, etc.) or b: any creature you like the EX abilities of (I like the Tarrasque).

Here's where it get tricky...
If a:
Use True Mind-swap.
Destroy the ghost you swapped with.
Find way to remove negative level gained from killing "old body."
Profit.

If b:
Use True Mind-swap.
If creature chosen's not immune to aging, trade one of existing abilities for Elan's psionic life-force through use of spell in SK (again, AFB) to permanently trade one for the other.
Profit.

Congratulations. You now have the Ghost's Rejuvenation su. and effectively are a character in an MMO, which, combined with your never-ending life of no max venerability, equals permanent immortality (esp. when combined with the Tarrasque. I'd go into more detail, but I'm AFB and needing to leave, so I'll do that when I get home.). :smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 04:13 PM
Now that I think of it, there is a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0) for this. Outside race, it seems your best shot is the Wedded to History feat.

Eh, I don't have access to Dragon Mag. materials, but thanks for linking the handbook.

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 04:16 PM
The ghost template has no influence on alignment. It is one of the scant few undead types (particularly the "iconic" kind) who is just as likely to be good-aligned as evil-aligned or neutral-aligned.

Having said that, Libris Mortis and Savage Species both point out that undead PCs who free themselves from the creature who spawned them may regain their previous alignment and retain their undead form.

And BoED does give us that very expensive spell that turns people good. As well as rules for brainwashing anyone into goodness. No reason why you can't have a character retain the undead type (and the immortality it implies) and then turn good by either of these means.

All good points, and I thank you for informing me of both the ghost template, AND that undead that can be freed can return to their original alignment.

Acorn of Far Travel+Naja Fountain from SK=immunity to the flow of time. But that's probably not what you're looking for...

Become a ghost.
Get a: any of the races that have no maximum age (Elan, Warforged, etc.) or b: any creature you like the EX abilities of (I like the Tarrasque).

If a:
Use True Mind-swap.
Profit.

If b:
Use True Mind-swap.
If creature chosen's not immune to aging, trade one of existing abilities for Elan's psionic life-force through use of spell in SK (again, AFB) to permanently trade one for the other.
Profit.

Congratulations. You now have the Ghost's Rejuvenation su. and effectively are a character in an MMO, which, combined with your never-ending life of no max venerability, equals permanent immortality (esp. when combined with the Tarrasque. I'd go into more detail, but I'm AFB and needing to leave, so I'll do that when I get home.). :smallamused:

Wow...that's very involved...but still, kudos. :smallbiggrin:

Network
2013-03-14, 04:33 PM
If you don't mind to use non-official material, there is the Plaguebearer prestige class in Drad Codex II by Adamant Entertainment. His 10th-level ability is Immortality (Su), which does exactly that. You can find it here (http://www.purpleduckgames.com/dcii).

You can also travel to a plane that makes you immortal and use Astral Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/astralProjection.htm) and Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm) to reach the Material Plane. I saw an old thread somewhere on the forum that discussed this trick.

Edit : Ensul's Soultheft (City of Splendors: Waterdeep) and Steal Life (BoVD) are spells that also allow you to extend your lifespan, but are somewhat more restricted. Steal Life is, however, the only official way to reverse aging.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-14, 04:57 PM
Cloud Anchorite, Frostburn. You never die from old age.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-14, 05:09 PM
Hmmm, would certainly be one way to do it, though, that would require either being the class that gets the Reincarnate spells, or having a buddy who is(And who is also immortal.)The Druid, Archivist, or Spirit Shaman can do it themselves by way of Craft Contingent Spell + Last Breath (Spell Compendium) without the level loss (but with a little XP loss).

The Archivist that grabbed Contingency can do it without Craft Contingent Spell - and thus, no XP loss at all. Likewise, the Mystic Theurge with Druid or Spirit Shaman who grabs Contingency (and a caster level of 15) can do it without any XP loss.

If you can get around the GP cost as well, you're set.

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 05:12 PM
Cloud Anchorite, Frostburn. You never die from old age.

Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about that...

Also, on why I picked the Tarrasque, it's because the Tarrasque's regeneration ex is unaffected by the damage type, and since it can only be killed by inflicting nonlethal damage equal to its max hp*2+10, followed up immediately by wish or miracle of "I wish the Tarrasque would die," when combined with the rejuvenation su, you can only be killed by damage+wishing, and if they do manage to kill you, unless they surround you with an antimagic field, you'll rejuvenate a few days later. And if they've got you in an antimagic field, its also going to be pretty hard for them to wish you dead. Finally, the Tarrasque is said to live practically forever, it means you've got the never aging immortality too! And cheese is immune to books, rocks, shoes (and one for Jenny and the wimp), etc. :smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 05:18 PM
The Druid, Archivist, or Spirit Shaman can do it themselves by way of Craft Contingent Spell + Last Breath (Spell Compendium) without the level loss (but with a little XP loss).

The Archivist that grabbed Contingency can do it without Craft Contingent Spell - and thus, no XP loss at all. Likewise, the Mystic Theurge with Druid or Spirit Shaman who grabs Contingency (and a caster level of 15) can do it without any XP loss.

If you can get around the GP cost as well, you're set.

Now this...this I like. And the GP cost is probably not too tough to surmount. Thanks!

Also, on why I picked the Tarrasque, it's because the Tarrasque's regeneration ex is unaffected by the damage type, and since it can only be killed by inflicting nonlethal damage equal to its max hp*2+10, followed up immediately by wish or miracle of "I wish the Tarrasque would die," when combined with the rejuvenation su, you can only be killed by damage+wishing, and if they do manage to kill you, unless they surround you with an antimagic field, you'll rejuvenate a few days later. And if they've got you in an antimagic field, its also going to be pretty hard for them to wish you dead. Finally, the Tarrasque is said to live practically forever, it means you've got the never aging immortality too! And cheese is immune to books, rocks, shoes (and one for Jenny and the wimp), etc. :smalltongue:

Eh, Big T is too overdone for me when it comes to immortality shananigans. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2013-03-14, 05:19 PM

There is a Problem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration) with a Ghost Tarrasque:
A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability. When Mr. T becomes Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType), he loses his Con score, and thus his regeneration.

Pilo
2013-03-14, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Network
His 10th-level ability is Immortality (Su)

So a Plaguebearer can die in an AMF. It might take a lot of AMF to see it die from old age though.

Gurgeh
2013-03-14, 05:43 PM
What book would that be in?
The Green Star Adept is from Complete Arcane.

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 06:10 PM
The Green Star Adept is from Complete Arcane.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Yogibear41
2013-03-14, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't dying from old age then having last breath go off just recreate you a body of the same age. In the description it just says a new body, it doesn't say that it would be any younger or different in anyway, but then again it doesn't say that it would remain the same either.

Callin
2013-03-14, 07:21 PM
Would Risen Martyr be acceptable? Book of Exalted Deeds

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-14, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't dying from old age then having last breath go off just recreate you a body of the same age. In the description it just says a new body, it doesn't say that it would be any younger or different in anyway, but then again it doesn't say that it would remain the same either.

Nope. Last Breath functions as Reincarnate, and Reincarnate specifically says it gives you a new, young adult body. :smallbiggrin:

Chilingsworth
2013-03-14, 07:55 PM

Only if you never finished the PrC. Since the PrC forces you to finish it, this means not gaining (or retaining, but I don't remember if deathless cn lose levels off the top of my head and am AFB) enough levels to do so.
Completing the PrC kills you (or rather, releases you to your just reward in the afterlife or somesuch.)

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-03-14, 08:01 PM
How would a "Prince of the Universe" work (Highlander movies and TV series)? All are immortal until their head comes away from the shoulders.

Is there any character class/PrCs that roughly fit?

Greenish
2013-03-14, 08:10 PM
How would a "Prince of the Universe" work (Highlander movies and TV series)? All are immortal until their head comes away from the shoulders.

Is there any character class/PrCs that roughly fit?Well, not starting as a lumi gives you a good start.

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 08:34 PM
There is a Problem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration) with a Ghost Tarrasque: When Mr. T becomes Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType), he loses his Con score, and thus his regeneration.

Except he isn't an Undead. You see, by using True Mind-swap (or is it Mind-Switch?), you swap your mind for your opponents permanently. Things that swap are
The mind switch brings about the following changes.

You gain the type of your assumed body.
You gain the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of your assumed body.
You gain the natural armor, natural attacks, movement, and other simple physical characteristics of your assumed body.
You gain the extraordinary special attacks and qualities of your assumed body, but you do not gain supernatural or spell-like abilities.
You gain the possessions and equipment of your assumed body.
You retain your own hit points, saving throws (possibly modified by new ability scores), class abilities, supernatural and spell-like abilities, spells and powers, and skills and feats (although skill checks use your new ability scores, and you may be temporarily unable to use feats whose requirements you do not meet in your new body).

As written in the power, you are no longer an undead. Also, I now need to add two additional steps to what I said earlier of
Swap with random Second Creature to permanently make new selected body your natural body.
Use a spell/power/etc. to force your mind out of its current body temporarily, doing the same with the creature you swaped with in the previous step (this causes you to return to the first body as your natural body, so as to enable the ghost's rejuvenation to return you to the pproper body.
There. All better. :smallwink:

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 08:42 PM
:smalleek:
No. No, no, no, no, no.
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/its-a-trap.jpg
At 10th level as a Risen Martyr, you gain Final Ascension, which forces you into the afterlife when you next gain a level. And you can't stop it because once you take your 1st level as a Risen Martyr, the next 9 levels you take have to be in Risen Martyr. So no. :smallmad:

No, no, no, no, no.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
That class is a trap!

Jack_Simth
2013-03-14, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't dying from old age then having last breath go off just recreate you a body of the same age. In the description it just says a new body, it doesn't say that it would be any younger or different in anyway, but then again it doesn't say that it would remain the same either.No, that's not how it goes, on two counts.

First, Last Breath functions mostly identically to Reincarnate, and that won't bring you back from death by old age. So you arrange things so that you don't die of old age. When you start to creak when you move, you violently end yourself.

The other has already been mentioned - Reincarnate specifies a young adult body.

Except he isn't an Undead. You see, by using True Mind-swap (or is it Mind-Switch?), you swap your mind for your opponents permanently.
Oh, sorry; missed your original post. Still, you've got a secondary problem (although surmountable): True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) inherits a clause from Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitch.htm):
You can target any creature whose Hit Dice are equal to or less than your manifester level.

Mr. T (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) has 48 Hit Dice.

If you're at a point where you can toss around a manifester level of 48... you've got better options than Mr. T.

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 09:19 PM
Oh, sorry; missed your original post. Still, you've got a secondary problem (although surmountable): True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) inherits a clause from Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitch.htm):

Mr. T (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) has 48 Hit Dice.

If you're at a point where you can toss around a manifester level of 48... you've got better options than Mr. T.

Come on man. Do the Wight Thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889). :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2013-03-14, 10:19 PM
Come on man. Do the Wight Thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889). :smallbiggrin:
That one's mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9917340&postcount=52), incidentally, and doesn't actually increase your manifester level - it just lets you expend as much XP as you want (slowly) without going past your last level threshold regardless of how much XP you burn.

Granted, I also once came up with a method to level up in isolation, without actually fighting anything (takes a while, and requires access to Astral Seed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) and Inspire Greatness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#inspireGreatness); Restoration is also useful, but not strictly required), but Do the Wight Thing doesn't actually help you get a manifester level of 48 all by itself. And, of course, if you can throw around a manifester level of 48, you have better options than Mr. T.

Getsugaru
2013-03-14, 10:44 PM
That one's mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9917340&postcount=52), incidentally, and doesn't actually increase your manifester level - it just lets you expend as much XP as you want (slowly) without going past your last level threshold regardless of how much XP you burn.

I know that one's yours, but, as someone once said to me, it has so many applications (part of why it's broken:smallsmile:). In this case, a use you might not have thought about is this: couldn't you use negative levels to lower Mr. T's effective HD like what it does to class levels? After all, the Wight's negative levels eventually result in permanent level loss; that's one of the tricks out there to enable someone to play a character that normally has hit dice without any...

And on the topic of manifester level, you aren't manifesting it yourself; you're using a power stone to do it for you. Therefore, the manifester level is already at (I think) 17 minimum, and there are ways to increase your manifester level through the roof (though, admittingly, not as many as there are for caster level). This is one of the rare occasions where manifester level affects your powers anyway...

NOTE: I am not, in any way, a master of the psionic system. Anything I just said about psionics could be wrong. I leave the judgement of my words to people like you, Jack_. :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2013-03-14, 11:11 PM
:smalleek:
No. No, no, no, no, no.
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/its-a-trap.jpg
At 10th level as a Risen Martyr, you gain Final Ascension, which forces you into the afterlife when you next gain a level. And you can't stop it because once you take your 1st level as a Risen Martyr, the next 9 levels you take have to be in Risen Martyr. So no. :smallmad:

No, no, no, no, no.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
That class is a trap!

Stop leveling, nothing says you must level, Use the exp for crafting and other stuff.
While most people do choose to level up when they can: nothing says you must.

Feint's End
2013-03-14, 11:21 PM
Just one important thing regarding Elan. By RAW they are not immortal.

First in the text (and that is just lore ... no rules)
"Elans have effectively unlimited life spans. As long as
they are not destroyed, their mental arts could conceivably
continually energize and rebuild their bodies for a thousand
years or more."
[note that it's "just" a thousand years or more what would fit the aging table .... though the whole wording is kinda confusing)

Second (and that might/should be seen as a rule) the aging table
Elan 200 years / 400 years / 1,000 years / +10d% years
effectively giving them a maximum age of 2000 years

I don't know why so many ppl assume Elans are immortal o,o

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-14, 11:28 PM
Just one important thing regarding Elan. By RAW they are not immortal.
Second (and that might/should be seen as a rule) the aging table
Elan 200 years / 400 years / 1,000 years / +10d% years
effectively giving them a maximum age of 2000 years

I don't know why so many ppl assume Elans are immortal o,o
Not according to the SRD, and I suspect errata...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight

Pickford
2013-03-14, 11:42 PM

Become a ghost.

If a:
Use True Mind-swap.
Profit.

If b:
Use True Mind-swap.
Profit.

Oh nice, the scanners method of continuing. Normal casters can do this with binding/magic jar too right?

Greenish
2013-03-14, 11:46 PM
I don't know why so many ppl assume Elans are immortal o,oBecause they read errata?

Cruiser1
2013-03-14, 11:54 PM
Steal Life is, however, the only official way to reverse aging.
You can also reverse aging (in core even) by destroying Flux Slime (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/obstacles.htm#fluxSlime) and getting hit by the 5% chance of reverse aging. Use an Amulet of Second Chances or manifest Forced Dream to backup time if you don't get the result you want. :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-15, 12:01 AM
Something I'm noting(And this is not meant to become a Tier debate), is that apart from the three races, there are almost no ways for a melee/ranged focused character to become immortal, save for having a magic buddy willing to help. :smallsigh:

Times like these, I wish 3.5 had done a bit more with the whole 'Epic Destinies' thing, rather than just beta-testing it late in 3.5, and using it whole-hog in 4.

Getsugaru
2013-03-15, 12:03 AM
Oh nice, the scanners method of continuing. Normal casters can do this with binding/magic jar too right?

Magic Jar is temporary. True Mind Switch is permanent.
Protection From Evil Blocks Magic Jar. It doesn't block True Mind Switch.
Magic Jar doesn't give you the body's ex abilities. True Mind Switch does.
Magic Jar doesn't allow the use of a body's extra limbs (in comparison to what you had). True Mind Switch does.
Magic Jar doesn't make the body yours. True Mind Switch does.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

...See the pattern? :smallannoyed:

Also, what do you mean by "the scanners method of continuing?" :smallconfused:

Rubik
2013-03-15, 12:18 AM
Far as I'm aware, the majority of monsters are considered "young adult," and so a psychoactive skin of proteus could give you immortality (though not invulnerability), since the Metamorphosis effect is always on. Just don't go back to your original form. And if you find your new form starting to go gray, just refresh it and go young again.

Astral Seed reforms you to the body you had when you manifested it, so if you die (regardless of the form or fashion, assuming your soul isn't destroyed or put in stasis somewhere) you'll reform as you were when you created the Astral crystal...meaning that you're the same age, as well. Note that it can also be used to merge with something (using the Fusion power) that doesn't age (or at least doesn't die of old age), such as elan.

[edit] Also, a timeless plane combined with Astral Projection, an acorn of far travel, or a planar shepherd's planar bubble.

Pickford
2013-03-15, 12:28 AM
Magic Jar is temporary. True Mind Switch is permanent.
Protection From Evil Blocks Magic Jar. It doesn't block True Mind Switch.
Magic Jar doesn't give you the body's ex abilities. True Mind Switch does.
Magic Jar doesn't allow the use of a body's extra limbs (in comparison to what you had). True Mind Switch does.
Magic Jar doesn't make the body yours. True Mind Switch does.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

...See the pattern? :smallannoyed:

Also, what do you mean by "the scanners method of continuing?" :smallconfused:

Oh, the movie from 1981 with michael ironsides. Basically most if not all the characters are psionic and...uh spoiler special:

It ends with a showdown between the prota...gonist and the antagonist where one has their body entirely destroyed, but invades and takes over the body of the other. Basically identical to this psionic power.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-15, 07:08 AM
I know that one's yours, but, as someone once said to me, it has so many applications (part of why it's broken:smallsmile:). In this case, a use you might not have thought about is this: couldn't you use negative levels to lower Mr. T's effective HD like what it does to class levels? After all, the Wight's negative levels eventually result in permanent level loss; that's one of the tricks out there to enable someone to play a character that normally has hit dice without any...Nope. Mr. T is immune to energy drain. The Wight has very little impact (and needs a nat-20 to hit Mr. T, while Mr. T needs a nat-1 to miss a stock Wight... and Mr. T's bite will usually one shot your stock Wight). Good thought, though.

Feint's End
2013-03-15, 08:45 AM
Not according to the SRD, and I suspect errata...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight

my bad ...thanks for clarifying that for me :)