PDA

View Full Version : New race design, please give me input

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 04:59 PM
after a bit of research i came up with this for a race, and a example monster

Dynastian (taken from the scientific name for rhinoceros beetle)
* +2 Str, +4 Dex, -4 Cha
* Monstrous Humanoid
* Medium
* Blindsence 60ft.
* Immunity to sleep
* Exoskeleton +3 Natural Armor
* Multiple Limbs: 4 arms
* Natural Attacks: 4 claws, 1 gore, 1 bite
* Static Charge(ex) on a charge or dive, your gore attack acts as though you had activated the feat "stunning fist"
* Flight(ex) average
* spell-like abilities: 3/d shocking grasp, orb of electricity, 1/d lightning bolt. your your HD(and class levels if any) are counted as spell level to determan damage on these abilities.
* Racial Hit Dice: two level of Monstrous humanoid, 2d8 HD, +2 BAB, Fort +0, Ref +3, Wil +3.
* Skills: 5x(2+int mod) class skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot.
* Racial Feat: Hover(B) and a additional Feat for its First level in Monstrous humanoid.
* Racial weekness: Blind
* Automatic Languages: Common, Dynastian. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnoll, Syldan, Thri-kreen, Drocanic.
* Favored Class: Fighter or Ranger
* LA+2

Dynastian
Medium-Size Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 2d8 (12 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: land 40 ft. Fly 40 feet (average)
AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Attacks: 4 claws +3 melee, gore +1 melee and bite +1 melee, or weapon +3 melee and bite +1 melee
Damage: Claw 1d4+1, bite 1d6, Gore 1d6 plus static charge
Special Attacks: static charge, shocking grasp, orb of electricity, lightning bolt
Special Qualities: Blindsence 60 ft., immunity to sleep, flight
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +3, Climb +3, Hide +4*, Jump +31,
Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Hover (B) Multiattack
Climate/Terrain: Jungle or wooded area
Organization: Solitary or pack (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class

give me some input, i hope to hear from some people on this.

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 05:13 PM
neato, also, edit the first post's title so it says New Race, not New Raise... i thought this was gonna be a new raise dead spell, lol

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 05:26 PM
neato, also, edit the first post's title so it says New Race, not New Raise... i thought this was gonna be a new raise dead spell, lol

lol sorry my tablet used auto correction

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 05:49 PM
Okay, having reviewed it, LA +2 doesnt cut it.

Mulitple Limbs with 5 multiple attacks +1 or +2 LA
Blindsense +2 LA as written. (i would have scale. have it start at 20 ft for under 10 hd, 40 if under 16 hd and 60 over that, then no LA)
Natural Armor and higher than normal dex means a larger AC. +1 LA
Spell Like Abilities +1 LA at base, Lightning bolt is a higher level than normal so maybe +2 LA.

We're looking at a +5 at minimum, with possibilities of raising the HD to offset it slightly.

figured LA +4 and 4 Levels in Monstrous Humanoid would do nicely.

clearly you reviewed the Thri-kreen, which have less stats than this, and higher LA, if i remember. sneaky sneaky.

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 06:04 PM
Also, even -8 cha wouldnt offset the +6 to physical scores. unless you are playing a Cha based class, its a dump stat. meaning this thing will never be a sorcerer, never be a paladin. its better for -2 to all mental scores.

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 06:29 PM
id use something closer to this, imo.

+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha.
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Blindsense: The Dynastian gains blindsense based on its Hit Dice. If under 10 HD, its 20 ft.; if under 16 HD, its 40 ft.; if 16 or higher, its 60 ft.
Speed: 40 ft.
Flight: Equal to its base land speed with average maneuverability.
Immunity: magical sleep.
Exoskeleton: The Dynastian's Exoskeleton is extraordinarily tough and strengths as they rise in levels. If under 10 HD, its +2 Natural Armor; if under 16 HD, its +4 Natural Armor.; if 16 or higher, its +6 Natural Armor.
Multiple Limbs: 4 arms
Natural Attacks: 4 secondary claws, 1 primary gore
Static Charge (Ex): on a charge or dive, your gore attack acts as though you had activated the feat "stunning fist". This can be used a number of times as if the Dynastian had the feat.
Blindness (Ex): The Dynastian cannot see normally. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. It does not, however, suffer the penalties normally for blindness:
spell-like abilities: 3/day - shocking grasp, orb of electricity; 1/day - lightning bolt. It's hit dice is counted as caster level for these spell-like abilities.
Racial Hit Dice: four levels of Monstrous humanoid, 4d8 HD, +4 BAB, Fort +1, Ref +4, Wil +4.
Racial Skills: 7x(2+int mod) class skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen.
Racial Feat: Two feats. Typically Hover and Improved Natural Attack (Gore).
Automatic Languages: Common, Dynastian. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Sylvan, and Thri-kreen.
Favored Class: Ranger/Scout
Level Adjustment: +3

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 07:07 PM
Okay, having reviewed it, LA +2 doesnt cut it.

Mulitple Limbs with 5 multiple attacks +1 or +2 LA
Blindsense +2 LA as written. (i would have scale. have it start at 20 ft for under 10 hd, 40 if under 16 hd and 60 over that, then no LA)
Natural Armor and higher than normal dex means a larger AC. +1 LA
Spell Like Abilities +1 LA at base, Lightning bolt is a higher level than normal so maybe +2 LA.

We're looking at a +5 at minimum, with possibilities of raising the HD to offset it slightly.

figured LA +4 and 4 Levels in Monstrous Humanoid would do nicely.

clearly you reviewed the Thri-kreen, which have less stats than this, and higher LA, if i remember. sneaky sneaky.

honestly I took the Thri-Kreen and just swaped out things, most of it's the same, the HD and +LA included I was going for the format you had but was in a rush at work lol.

I was going to drop the bite altogether but almost all monsters use/have a bite.

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 07:27 PM
I was going to drop the bite altogether but almost all monsters use/have a bite.

I just figured it wouldnt bite, it would charge in and gore, and then while stuck in a foe, it would slash with claws.

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 07:30 PM
thri kreen are 3.0 anyways. they aren't 3.5

thri-kreen first appears in SS in 3.0 yes, but are remaped in both MM2 3.5 and the XPH as a playable rase, with a new lower ECL and +LA, with all the same stats, minor change from 3.0 is the jump (ex) now has a hight limit

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 07:32 PM
thri-kreen first appears in SS in 3.0 yes, but are remaped in both MM2 3.5 and the XPH as a playable rase, with a new lower ECL and +LA, with all the same stats, minor change from 3.0 is the jump (ex) now has a hight limit

MM2 was 3.0, it was never reprinted for 3.5. XPH is which?

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 07:40 PM
MM2 was 3.0, it was never reprinted for 3.5. XPH is which?

expanded psionic handbook. that is 3.5 and has all the same stats as MM2, so I'm guessing it was printed during the 3.5 dates, or the XPH took the info from the MM2

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 07:42 PM
expanded psionic handbook. that is 3.5 and has all the same stats as MM2, so I'm guessing it was printed during the 3.5 dates, or the XPH took the info from the MM2

thats fine. you thinking im off? was it too much?

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 07:53 PM
thats fine. you thinking im off? was it too much?

maybe a little, but I like the input, but let's go over some things.

first, the blindsense 60ft, as I saw it, the monster was still at a big disadvantage.
being blind has made it's main attacks and spell-like abilities hard to use, even with the blindsense.

as for what I swapped it out for was darkvision 60ft., and according to the MM1 3.5 a primary source. blinesense is a normal monstrous humanoid. but the footage may be off as you said

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 07:58 PM
maybe a little, but I like the input, but let's go over some things.

first, the blindsense 60ft, as I saw it, the monster was still at a big disadvantage.
being blind has made it's main attacks and spell-like abilities hard to use, even with the blindsense.

as for what I swapped it out for was darkvision 60ft., and according to the MM1 3.5 a primary source. blinesense is a normal monstrous humanoid. but the footage may be off as you said

I see. perhaps 30 ft, 60 ft, 90 ft. then 120 ft ?
maybe move the levels they are gained are 1st, 6th, 12th, then 18th level.

I dislike the Thri-kreen, myself. I like my Mant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274494), which sort of replace them in my games.

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 08:21 PM
I see. perhaps 30 ft, 60 ft, 90 ft. then 120 ft ?
maybe move the levels they are gained are 1st, 6th, 12th, then 18th level.

I dislike the Thri-kreen, myself. I like my Mant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274494), which sort of replace them in my games.

I looked over your mant, and it's interesting, the damage is higher then it should for a medium-sized monster, but if you consider a prayingmantis the claws might count as a scythe and be x4 crit.

back to mine, everything was just swapped out, from the original. the idea behind it is a beetle like creature that has inherent electrical abilities

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 08:28 PM
I looked over your mant, and it's interesting, the damage is higher then it should for a medium-sized monster, but if you consider a prayingmantis the claws might count as a scythe and be x4 crit.

back to mine, everything was just swapped out, from the original. the idea behind it is a beetle like creature that has inherent electrical abilities

which is why i feel the level should be higher, a tougher chassis.

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 08:42 PM
which is why i feel the level should be higher, a tougher chassis.

by tougher chassis I'm guessing you mean the ability modifiers.
if that's what you mean. thri-kreen +2str, +4dex, -2int, +2wis, -4cha
what I did to this was cross out the int and wis changes.
my original thought was that I didn't want his int that low but I didn't mind the loss of the wis
seeing that for monsters, the str, dex, and con, count for less then int, wis, and cha. since size never effects them.

how do you see this? am I wrong?

scarmiglionne4
2013-03-14, 09:00 PM
I get the big bad beetle guy concept, but I don't understand why it has the spell-like abilities and why they are electricity blaster spells.

I like where LordErebus was heading with this stat-wise.

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 09:14 PM
I get the big bad beetle guy concept, but I don't understand why it has the spell-like abilities and why they are electricity blaster spells.

I like where LordErebus was heading with this stat-wise.

just as a electric eel has natural electrical abilities, they evolved to have a way to gather energy and use it. as for why, the thri-kreen has natural pisonic abilities that I swapped out.

LordErebus12
2013-03-14, 09:46 PM
just as a electric eel has natural electrical abilities, they evolved to have a way to gather energy and use it. as for why, the thri-kreen has natural pisonic abilities that I swapped out.

http://i.imgur.com/GsSrRW5.png
ZX-Tole Approves

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 10:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GsSrRW5.png
ZX-Tole Approves

lol yes very much so, also it's got a bit of a kabutarimon feel.

I hope I can perfect this race

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 11:04 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has a list or know if there is a page that has building monster ecl buy?

scarmiglionne4
2013-03-16, 05:15 PM

Yeah, but Orb of Electricity and Lightning Bolt? That is some serious evolution.

LordErebus12
2013-03-16, 06:04 PM
Yeah, but Orb of Electricity and Lightning Bolt? That is some serious evolution.

look it took a long time to get those Thri-kreen attracted to Shocker Lizards, breeding them was bereft with accidents. give this guy some credit. :smallbiggrin: