PDA

View Full Version : What spells should i get for my wizard?

Drake2009
2013-03-14, 06:11 PM
Ok so my wizard is level 6 close to 7 and has no specialty so he can cast all spells. I discovered something amazing also. Tensers floating disc.. Instead of picking people up you smash them with it! its awesome but i could use some help with the spells, i am buffing and doing damage too. My party consists of these (all level 6) Gunslinger,Barbarian,Cleric,Rouge,Wizard(me) and a Gunslinger level 2 and ranger level 4.

Shining Wrath
2013-03-14, 06:18 PM
Google "Wizard Handbook". Those are some pretty well-thought out arguments about best spells.

For a 4th level spell I recommend "black tentacles". Especially with all the ranged attackers in the party. Black tentacles will grapple the enemy front line and keep them from engaging while your party shoots them full of holes.

Drake2009
2013-03-14, 06:23 PM
K thanks ill look into that

Edit: We are using 3.5 rules though

Shining Wrath
2013-03-14, 06:42 PM
From d20SRD (open source)

Black Tentacles
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures a field of rubbery black tentacles, each 10 feet long. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot—including water. They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and crushing them with great strength.

Every creature within the area of the spell must make a grapple check, opposed by the grapple check of the tentacles. Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus equal to your caster level and a Strength score of 19. Thus, its grapple check modifier is equal to your caster level +8. The tentacles are immune to all types of damage.

Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage. The tentacles continue to crush the opponent until the spell ends or the opponent escapes.

Any creature that enters the area of the spell is immediately attacked by the tentacles. Even creatures who aren’t grappling with the tentacles may move through the area at only half normal speed.

Material Component A piece of tentacle from a giant octopus or a giant squid.

TuggyNE
2013-03-14, 07:36 PM
I discovered something amazing also. Tensers floating disc.. Instead of picking people up you smash them with it!

OK, how does that work, exactly?

Drake2009
2013-03-14, 11:05 PM
I control the disc and instead of picking a creature or say a piece of rock up i smash it down for the same force. Since im level 6 that is 600 pounds of force! Like it says in the handbook "A wizards power is only judged by his creativity."
So i used my creativity to create a level 1 spell that can also work as an aoe attack! I just have to have the people in the same area and they are all smashed! Its amazing!

GernifTheBard
2013-03-14, 11:42 PM
Check out LogicNinja's or treantmonk's guide to wizards. They are good guides, and treantmonk even made spell list guides for all the schools of magic.

Peelee
2013-03-14, 11:53 PM
I control the disc and instead of picking a creature or say a piece of rock up i smash it down for the same force. Since im level 6 that is 600 pounds of force! Like it says in the handbook "A wizards power is only judged by his creativity."
So i used my creativity to create a level 1 spell that can also work as an aoe attack! I just have to have the people in the same area and they are all smashed! Its amazing!

The disk floats approximately 3 feet above the ground at all times (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Floating_Disk)

How would you be able to smash it down for the same force as the weight it can hold?

Con_Brio1993
2013-03-15, 12:04 AM
How would you be able to smash it down for the same force as the weight it can hold?

Simple. A very very VERY lenient DM. Or one who cannot read.

Yogibear41
2013-03-15, 12:24 AM
Our wizard tried the same trick in our game, He got shot down hard lol

Pickford
2013-03-15, 12:48 AM
Ok so my wizard is level 6 close to 7 and has no specialty so he can cast all spells. I discovered something amazing also. Tensers floating disc.. Instead of picking people up you smash them with it! its awesome but i could use some help with the spells, i am buffing and doing damage too. My party consists of these (all level 6) Gunslinger,Barbarian,Cleric,Rouge,Wizard(me) and a Gunslinger level 2 and ranger level 4.

I'll do you one better:

Get regal procession, summon several times and then have them stampede. Medium/small sized enemies will die in a hail of trample. (plus they soak hits)

TuggyNE
2013-03-15, 01:37 AM

Yeah… that's not so much creativity as just misinterpretation.

Or, in short, these.

I'll do you one better:

Get regal procession, summon several times and then have them stampede. Medium/small sized enemies will die in a hail of trample. (plus they soak hits)

Assuming you can get them to do what you want in combat (IIRC they're just regular mounts, not war-trained), yeah, this works.

Spuddles
2013-03-15, 01:41 AM
Assuming you can get them to do what you want in combat (IIRC they're just regular mounts, not war-trained), yeah, this works.

Oh no! A skill check!

;)

Tragak
2013-03-15, 08:47 AM
Flip answer (since the most constructive feedback has already been covered): all of them :smallsmile: The two bonus spells per class level are nothing compared to the spells you learn by sharing books with other wizards.

Story
2013-03-15, 09:16 AM
You'll have to wait until you get Auran's Spellshards/Blessed Books to do serious sharing though.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-15, 09:46 AM

I'm not even sure how one could even play D&D illiterate.

I mean, I once played Yu Gi Oh! with someone who couldn't read, but at least he had pictures and a TV show to make assumptions about what each card did (they were almost always wrong). D&D doesn't even give you pictures most of the time. How would he know anything about the game?

Story
2013-03-15, 10:17 AM
I once played a 4ed campaign with a DM who was used to 3.5 and didn't even bother to read the 4ed PHB. He refused to believe me when I told him that I could shift away to avoid AoOs (which is a little strange, since five foot steps are a thing in 3.5 too).

Of course, it seems like the rest of the players were Beer and Pretzels types too. Highlights include one CE character (in a good party) who attempted to kill/rape/backstab anything in sight, and even attacked the other PCs sometimes.

Drake2009
2013-03-15, 03:54 PM
I'm not even sure how one could even play D&D illiterate.

I mean, I once played Yu Gi Oh! with someone who couldn't read, but at least he had pictures and a TV show to make assumptions about what each card did (they were almost always wrong). D&D doesn't even give you pictures most of the time. How would he know anything about the game?

.... he means that didnt read it not cant read it

Edit: Whats with the trying to seem very smart with all the big words? Its a comic forum

Story
2013-03-15, 04:57 PM
What big words?

TuggyNE
2013-03-15, 05:40 PM
Edit: Whats with the trying to seem very smart with all the big words? Its a comic forum

More precisely, it's a forum built around a webcomic based on a game that nerds* like, and we're in the subforum devoted to that game, so it's not at all surprising that one of the typical nerdly traits, love of big words and proper language use, has shown up. If anything, the lack of that would be rather out of place.

* I like to distinguish nerds, geeks, and dorks based on this helpful Venn diagram (http://idigitalcitizen.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/geek-nerd-dork-dweeb-venn-diagram.jpg).