PDA

View Full Version : Silent Image + Pit Trap

Ellrin
2013-03-14, 09:13 PM
So I was thinking.

Spells like silent image only allow a will save if they're interacted with. If you have a pit trap, or something along those lines, and use silent image to create the illusion that there is no hole/pit there, would a PC (not rocking true seeing or some other effect that allows an extra ability or chance to perceive illusions as illusions without interaction) have any recourse to tell he's stepping onto nothing before he actually takes that step? Assuming, of course, that he's not taking his time to check every spot of ground before he steps on it.

And if he doesn't, are there rules for how to handle reflex saves for unwittingly stepping off the edge of a cliff or whatever?

Zman
2013-03-14, 09:25 PM
So I was thinking.

Spells like silent image only allow a will save if they're interacted with. If you have a pit trap, or something along those lines, and use silent image to create the illusion that there is no hole/pit there, would a PC (not rocking true seeing or some other effect that allows an extra ability or chance to perceive illusions as illusions without interaction) have any recourse to tell he's stepping onto nothing before he actually takes that step? Assuming, of course, that he's not taking his time to check every spot of ground before he steps on it.

And if he doesn't, are there rules for how to handle reflex saves for unwittingly stepping off the edge of a cliff or whatever?

So long as the PC isn't moving too quickly he is entitled to a reflex save. Use the rules for camouflaged Pit Trap.

Silent Image Spike Pit trap is one of my favorites.

8wGremlin
2013-03-14, 09:27 PM
What about a silent image of a pit trap?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-14, 09:36 PM
It is like a wall except your PC'S are less likely to guess what is going on.

ericgrau
2013-03-14, 09:38 PM
No save to detect the illusion if he's walking casually, because the illusion is not being examined or otherwise interacted with. Give a save if he's searching that square. After he falls in he auto-passes the save. EDIT: If he says specifically that he's prodding the square instead of only searching it, that should also auto-pass the save as the stick goes right through. Either way I'd still give a reflex save unless the PC is running down the corridor.

It's not unbalanced either because some creature nearby must be concentrating on the illusion. Or there's illusory wall (also for floors!) or permanent image at a much higher level.

Ellrin
2013-03-14, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I think there should definitely be a reflex save--I've accidentally stepped into thin air a few times, myself, and can generally catch myself before I fall in (though there was this one time with a very deep, tarry ditch--long story). Are there are actual rules for what sort of DCs unwittingly stepping off the edge of a cliff or something like that, though, or is it just "whatever the DM feels is likely."

Fyermind
2013-03-14, 09:48 PM
No save against the image (reflex against the pit as normal). If the character is searching for traps discovering the pit trap should be easy (if they touch that part of the floor they go through) and should allow a save with a +4 bonus.

Silent images can't make the illusion of a pit trap any more than I can put down a canvas with a painting on it and make you thing there is a pit there not a floor and a canvas. Admittedly if you know where someone will be looking from you can make a very good illusion, but the moment they move significantly it will stop looking like a pit. This is because the illusion is not target specific so it has to look the same for everyone and because the illusion cannot make things (such as the floor) appear invisible.