PDA

View Full Version : Belkar as healer?

Red Lantern
2013-03-14, 10:29 PM
ISTR that belkar saved elan's life when v cast owl's wisdom on him, enabling him to use healing spells.

So, without durkon, could v return and cast OWN on belakr again to make him the order's healer?

rodneyAnonymous
2013-03-14, 10:55 PM
Probably not.

The best healing spell a ranger can cast (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ranger_Spell_List) is Cure Serious Wounds. Never mind Restoration, Raise Dead, Dispel Magic, and other kinds of healing besides hit points.

Also, Durkon's contribution to the party was buffing as much as healing, maybe more. He almost never cast healing spells during battle. That part of his role could be filled by a bunch of potions and a Bag of Holding.

Deepbluediver
2013-03-14, 10:58 PM
I'm not seeing it, sorry.

Even if Belkar's attitude shifts, his skill-set is still solidly in the stabby-murder department.

Red Lantern
2013-03-15, 12:02 AM
I don't know, it looks like belkar saved someone who was going to die otherwise, seems pretty useful to me.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html

Blue1005
2013-03-15, 12:25 AM
In BATTLE, i would NEVER say to Belkar "dont stab, heal me" out of battle it could be feasible for spot heals. But that means V needs to burn TONS of spells. that is a double penalty for every heal.

SaintRidley
2013-03-15, 12:31 AM
ISTR that belkar saved elan's life when v cast owl's wisdom on him, enabling him to use healing spells.

So, without durkon, could v return and cast OWN on belakr again to make him the order's healer?

No. First of all, it wouldn't be permanent. Second of all, Elan would still be a better choice of healer between the two due to getting better healing. Third of all, even Elan's healing capabilities are not enough to suffice for any actual needs outside an emergency "You're close to -10 and not going to stabilize." heal.

So no, Belkar will not be the party healer because he is literally incapable of the job, Owl's Wisdom or not.

Red Lantern
2013-03-15, 12:53 AM
In BATTLE, i would NEVER say to Belkar "dont stab, heal me" out of battle it could be feasible for spot heals. But that means V needs to burn TONS of spells. that is a double penalty for every heal.

Yeah, neutralizing him as a fighter is probably the best argument against this.

Speaking of a healer, maybe they can find healing potions and such in the keep, you'd think the draketooth clan would be prepared for that.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-03-15, 01:14 AM
It's not just healing. Cleric buffs make the party much stronger.

GSFB
2013-03-15, 01:25 AM
Belkar might do a small amount of non-critical healing, but the party will NEED Durkon sooner than later, so I think they will quickly accidentally blow up this gate, then find a way to destroy Durkon (or maybe Xykon and Redcloak arrive and take care of that for them) and take his ashes back to his homeland, where, returning posthumously, he can be resurrected. Thus, completing prophecy and getting us back on plot for the final gate.

SaintRidley
2013-03-15, 02:10 AM
Belkar might do a small amount of non-critical healing, but the party will NEED Durkon sooner than later, so I think they will quickly accidentally blow up this gate, then find a way to destroy Durkon (or maybe Xykon and Redcloak arrive and take care of that for them) and take his ashes back to his homeland, where, returning posthumously, he can be resurrected. Thus, completing prophecy and getting us back on plot for the final gate.

Honestly, Durkon not staying a vampire would render the whole change pointless. He's not going to get any character development if he gets destroyed and raised.

Red Lantern
2013-03-15, 02:59 AM
Honestly, Durkon not staying a vampire would render the whole change pointless. He's not going to get any character development if he gets destroyed and raised.

So roy can get killed and raised but no one else can?

Blue1005
2013-03-15, 04:19 AM

HAHAHA, i agree with you there. That defense is weak at best.

That said, Elan would be the bestalternative option. They will need to find a new healer of hope that wands and potions exist and plenty of them to have a chance.

Chantelune
2013-03-15, 05:44 AM

Roy being dead and not turned into a free-willed undead was his own character development and only because he stayed dead for almost a year and spend his time preparing for his return, learning new moves, making plans and all that. Him being turned into a golem served mostly as a way to avoid him being just raised by the priest of Loki (even if his alignement was evil, Roy was scrying on them and would have accepted to be raised) and let the thieves guild jump in so Haley can have her big fight with them. From the moment he died, Roy was always sure that he would be raised eventualy, that his time on the upper-plane was just "half-time".

Durkon, on the other hand, seemed to consider his death as final, he didn't seem to consider that he would be raised. Plus, him being turned into what he hate the more (besides trees) and being promised free-will as soon as their back to safety is a more interesting development than just Durkon starring in "the afterlife, season 2" while waiting for a raise dead.

No doubt that Roy and the other will try to destroy Durkon in order to raise him. But should they succeed this fast, making Durkon walking in his vampire's boots so short, would have far less impact than him having to cope with his new condition and urges.

It's not that the others can't be killed and raised, but as Roy said himself, "sequels lacks the oomph of the first time" and Roy was not just killed and raised.

Fish
2013-03-15, 09:42 AM
Durkon may be killed and raised, but it's likely he will get some time for development first. Think about how Rich set this up for Durkon:

1. He's very attached to Thor. Now Thor may not want him.
2. He loves to drink beer. Now he can't have any. ("I don't drink ... wine.")
3. He battles against trees. Now a wooden stake is his only way out of being a vampire. (And the dwarven homeland is likely to be depopulated of trees.)

What would be the point of ditching that all straightaway?

Ron Miel
2013-03-15, 11:10 AM
Read the comic again
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html

THe Owl's Wisdom only gave him the ability to read scrolls. Without a supply of scrolls he can't do anything. He has no healing spells of his own.