PDA

View Full Version : Low LA Monstrous Humanoids

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-14, 10:41 PM
It occured to Mr I have decent lists of low LA giants, elementals, undead, outsiders, but no mostroua humanoids. Any suggestions?

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 10:44 PM
It occured to Mr I have decent lists of low LA giants, elementals, undead, outsiders, but no mostroua humanoids. Any suggestions?

the Thri-kreen is a Ecl 4, but the savage species book has a large list of monsters to look at, also, they have a +1LA template that can be added to any humanoid to make it a monstrous humanoid.

sonofzeal
2013-03-14, 10:46 PM
Here's a list of all low-CR (under CR 3) Monstrous Humanoids. Not quite the same thing, but'll hopefully help you narrow things down.

Aarakocra
Abeil, Vassal
Chitine
Chosen One
Firenewt
Goatfolk (ibixian)
Greenspawn Sneak (Spawn of Tiamat)
Grimlock
Groundling
Kuo-Toa
Loxo
Nycter
Ophidian
Sahuagin
Thri-kreen
Voidmind Grimlock
Whitespawn Hordeling (Spawn of Tiamat)
Yurian

...additionally, I generally rule Gnolls as Monstrous Humanoid because, seriously, why the heck aren't they?!?

Drackstin
2013-03-14, 10:50 PM
Here's a list of all low-CR (under CR 3) Monstrous Humanoids. Not quite the same thing, but'll hopefully help you narrow things down.

Aarakocra
Abeil, Vassal
Chitine
Chosen One
Firenewt
Goatfolk (ibixian)
Greenspawn Sneak (Spawn of Tiamat)
Grimlock
Groundling
Kuo-Toa
Loxo
Nycter
Ophidian
Sahuagin
Thri-kreen
Voidmind Grimlock
Whitespawn Hordeling (Spawn of Tiamat)
Yurian

...additionally, I generally rule Gnolls as Monstrous Humanoid because, seriously, why the heck aren't they?!?

the only problem, he asked for low LA, not a CR, according the the MM most monsters have a CR lower then their HD, and a monster that can be used as a character have a LA almost double their HD

sonofzeal
2013-03-14, 11:01 PM
the only problem, he asked for low LA, not a CR, according the the MM most monsters have a CR lower then their HD, and a monster that can be used as a character have a LA almost double their HD
Yyyyyeessss.... and I mention that... but this is a short-list to work from. It's manageably-sized, and they can look them up and make decisions from there. Unless you're going to point out a low-LA Monstrous Humanoid that isn't on this list?

Greenish
2013-03-14, 11:01 PM
Goliaths are monstrous humanoids with +1 LA.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-14, 11:18 PM
+1 on Goliath.

Hag spawn from Unapproachable East is a monstrous humanoid, no RHD, +2 LA.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-15, 12:44 AM
Kuo Toa only has 2RHD, but does anyone remember its LA? That would be cool.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-15, 12:50 AM
Kuo Toa only has 2RHD, but does anyone remember its LA? That would be cool.

+3 LA.

Locatha from MM1 is 2 RHD and +1 LA.
Check that, they are Humanoids...

LOTRfan
2013-03-15, 01:08 AM
Muckdwellers are Monstrous Humanoids. They're Tiny, their racial Hit Die is replaced with a class level, they have an attack that blinds an enemy for 1 round, and they have an LA of +0. The only downside is that they have a net ability score adjustment of -4 (+6 Dex, -6 Str, and if I remember correctly -2 Wis and Cha). I would suggest dropping the penalty to Wisdom, increasing speed slightly, and then making the blinding effect last 1d3-1 rounds (minimum 1).

They're in Serpent Kingdoms.

Waddacku
2013-03-15, 03:18 AM
Dragon Magazine 317 has the T'kel, ECL 0 monstrous humanoids. +2 dex, -2 int, two claws.

Amnestic
2013-03-15, 04:15 AM
Lupin and Tibbits (Dragon Compendium) are both LA+0

Thurbane
2013-03-15, 04:18 AM
I'm curious, what low LA Elementals did you find?

Drackstin
2013-03-15, 06:59 AM
I'm curious, what low LA Elementals did you find?

normally in d&d elemantels cant be played, there are a few but most are high LA, but in savage species, (3.0 and stats are a bit off) the small elementals have a low LA

ddude987
2013-03-15, 07:29 AM
Also, if Dragonlance stuff is allowed in your campaign, you can take the dragonspawn template. The white one is +1 la for monsterous humanoid, flying, breath weapon, and +2 dex +2 con and a few other goodies. That is what I used to qualify for soul eater in my current campaign.

Essence_of_War
2013-03-15, 07:33 AM
OP,

Thurbane has got the excellent LA +1/+2 resource thread in his sig. I've got a reference of races with racial hit dice in mine.

Those two have a lot of monstrous humanoids.

hamishspence
2013-03-15, 07:40 AM
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Dromites yet:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#dromites

Darius Kane
2013-03-15, 02:55 PM
Small anthropomorphic animals.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-03-15, 03:05 PM
Marrulurks (Sand) have 3 RHD And LA +1, having said that, they are terrific, with Racial sneak attack, Death Attack, a nauseating breath 1/day, incredible stat bonus, nat armor, fire and dissecation resistance and a sound based scent-like ability (Discriminating hearing IIRC)

The Viscount
2013-03-15, 03:13 PM

I don't get it either. It makes about as much sense as Yurians being Monstrous Humanoids. They're giant crabs! How are they not aberrations?

Drackstin
2013-03-15, 03:15 PM
how about the gargoyle, going from a magical beast in 3.0, to a monstrous humanoid in 3.5

ShurikVch
2013-03-15, 03:44 PM
Templates
Arcane-Blood (LA +2, Dr#350),
Feral (LA +1, Sav),
Nagpa (LA +1, Dr#339),
and Tauric Creature (LA +3, MM2)
will change type into monstrous humanoid.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-15, 04:38 PM
That is an awesome list. Thanks guys.