PDA

View Full Version : sending antics

coineineagh
2013-03-15, 12:22 AM
the azurites have yet to inform the oots of xykon being on the move. what if they send to Durkon now?
i'm really curious how vampire thrall durkon will react if so. it will possibly lead to a linear guild-team evil alliance, with help from nale.:smalleek:

SaintRidley
2013-03-15, 12:25 AM
Pretty sure they'll Send to Roy. Being the leader and whatnot.

Mike Havran
2013-03-15, 01:14 AM
It's still possible they don't have caster capable of sending and no scrolls anymore, so they need to wait for Vaarsuvius and Durkon to contact them and mention the information in their reply.

factotum
2013-03-15, 02:52 AM
Pretty sure they'll Send to Roy. Being the leader and whatnot.

+1. They have no reason to Send to Durkon in particular--Haley had to Send to him back in Greysky because he was the most reliable member of the other half of the Order, but that's not the case now.

Cavenskull
2013-03-15, 03:34 AM
It's still possible they don't have caster capable of sending and no scrolls anymore, so they need to wait for Vaarsuvius and Durkon to contact them and mention the information in their reply.
Hinjo seems pretty confident that he'll have enough access to Sending to coordinate two groups of people (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html). Whatever his actual resources are, I can't imagine Hinjo would squander his last available casting of Sending on anything other than notifying the Order of the Stick that Xykon is on the move. After all, the fate of the world is at stake, and Hinjo knows it's only a matter of time before Team Evil moves on to the next gate.

JustWantedToSay
2013-03-15, 03:36 AM
Roy might still be cloistered.

Although Celia did say "living creature." I think that's a failure on her part, what good would that do Xykon and undead minions.

Cavenskull
2013-03-15, 03:49 AM

Although Celia did say "living creature." I think that's a failure on her part, what good would that do Xykon and undead minions.

Roy was able to receive a Sending in the Empire of Blood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html).

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-15, 04:59 PM

Possibly, although keep in mind that Xykon did not create the Cloister spell and has no say in what types of creatures it is capable of targeting.

kxm
2013-03-15, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Hinjo should have a decent amount of Sending scrolls if he's planning to coordinate the groups. I'm pretty sure he's on the way to Send to Roy right now after retreating from the monsters.

dps
2013-03-16, 11:34 PM
Hinjo seems pretty confident that he'll have enough access to Sending to coordinate two groups of people (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html). Whatever his actual resources are, I can't imagine Hinjo would squander his last available casting of Sending on anything other than notifying the Order of the Stick that Xykon is on the move. After all, the fate of the world is at stake, and Hinjo knows it's only a matter of time before Team Evil moves on to the next gate.

Anybody care to elaborate on why the elves and resistance can contact him, but he can't contact them? Is it just a security thing--he wouldn't want to risk contacting them while they're setting up an ambush or such--or is there more to it?

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-16, 11:38 PM
Anybody care to elaborate on why the elves and resistance can contact him, but he can't contact them? Is it just a security thing--he wouldn't want to risk contacting them while they're setting up an ambush or such--or is there more to it?

The Cloister spell would prevent incoming sending spells.

dps
2013-03-17, 12:53 AM

D'oh! I'd forgotten about that. My bad.

factotum
2013-03-17, 02:52 AM

Pretty sure it blocks *outgoing* Sending spells as well--when the incoming Elven team did a Sending to tell of their arrival they did it from well outside the city walls, and I'm guessing Niu had to get clear of it before she could Send as well (I think it must be a few hours since the destruction of the Resistance in comic time).

Mike Havran
2013-03-17, 04:52 AM
Pretty sure it blocks *outgoing* Sending spells as well--when the incoming Elven team did a Sending to tell of their arrival they did it from well outside the city walls, and I'm guessing Niu had to get clear of it before she could Send as well (I think it must be a few hours since the destruction of the Resistance in comic time).

I disagree. When Thanh (or elven messenger) informed Hinjo about Redcloak's speech, he was probably well within the Cloister effect. I think Niu just ran away to safety before she could afford that 10 minutes of casting time.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-17, 07:53 AM

I disagree. When Thanh (or elven messenger) informed Hinjo about Redcloak's speech, he was probably well within the Cloister effect. I think Niu just ran away to safety before she could afford that 10 minutes of casting time.

Regardless, Niu cannot "get clear of" the cloister effect since it not only targets the area but also all the people within it, so even if she leaves the effect will stay on her.

NerdyKris
2013-03-17, 11:09 AM

It doesn't.

You could cast them from within the area, or even from inside the feild to outside. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

As for the OP, it's only been a few minutes, less than an hour at most since #865 where Hinjo recieved the sending. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html). They walked down a hallway, started on the door, and Durkon had his fight scene. Hinjo said to return to base, so they probably have to return there for the sending scroll first.

The entire sequence since Xykon left has only been an hour or two as well, so he's probably still in his fort on the astral plane.

coineineagh
2013-03-17, 10:07 PM
It doesn't.

You could cast them from within the area, or even from inside the feild to outside. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

As for the OP, it's only been a few minutes, less than an hour at most since #865 where Hinjo recieved the sending. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html). They walked down a hallway, started on the door, and Durkon had his fight scene. Hinjo said to return to base, so they probably have to return there for the sending scroll first.

The entire sequence since Xykon left has only been an hour or two as well, so he's probably still in his fort on the astral plane.

That's technically possible, i guess. Since no exact measure of time passing was given. I still have the feeling that it took a bit longer. Niu took some time to run away from the Cloistered Gobbotopia, and probably thought about the best compilation of 25 words for the sending. Hinjo will also take some time to reunite with his fleet, and get hold of a scroll. A sending is pending imminently, hence my OP topic... I admit that Roy has dealt directly with Hinjo before, but Durkon was the best communicator for months when the party was split up. It wouldn't be unreasonable to imagine that Hinjo contacts Durkon out of habit. Roy does take great risks, getting himself killed and such. Durkon might be a safe bet in Hinjo's eyes, if he wants to be sure that the Sending arrives immediately.

As for how long the events in the pyramid took - it's anyone's guess. The LG were getting their bearings on the situation in the lunchroom, the imp had a jolly time reading the wall markings, Malack was raising a bunch of mummies. Those mummies probably slowed down their pace of advancement when they did finally move on. It gave OotS time to set up a decent ambush.

The duels with Malack took some time as well, unless you see talking as a free action that takes no time in comic.

All in all, I'd say events may well have taken a good 4 hours. The fact that [Sending target] Durkon is now in league with the LG may be of relevance to the plot.

Chantelune
2013-03-18, 04:56 AM
+1. They have no reason to Send to Durkon in particular--Haley had to Send to him back in Greysky because he was the most reliable member of the other half of the Order, but that's not the case now.

I don't think it's because he's the most reliable. If she would have sent based on truth, then she would have sent to V, since she seems to be the one Haley is the closest among the order, saved from Elan.

As she had no idea of what happened to the rest of the party, she couldn't know for sure that they were still all together, so the sensible thing to do was to send directly to the guy who can raise, to make sure he knows where you are, especially when you're in a situation where you might die any moment.

As for Hinjo, I see no reason as to why he would send to Durkon instead of Roy. Roy's the leader, so it's best to send directly to him, unless he can't be reach for some reason (and can't still be under cloister effect, if he ever was, as he could receive sending while in EoB).

NerdyKris
2013-03-18, 11:59 AM
I don't think it's because he's the most reliable. If she would have sent based on truth, then she would have sent to V, since she seems to be the one Haley is the closest among the order, saved from Elan.

As she had no idea of what happened to the rest of the party, she couldn't know for sure that they were still all together, so the sensible thing to do was to send directly to the guy who can raise, to make sure he knows where you are, especially when you're in a situation where you might die any moment.

As for Hinjo, I see no reason as to why he would send to Durkon instead of Roy. Roy's the leader, so it's best to send directly to him, unless he can't be reach for some reason (and can't still be under cloister effect, if he ever was, as he could receive sending while in EoB).

Indeed. I'm re-reading that part now, and Haley had no idea of V's location or status. For all she know, V was lying dead in a mass grave of Azurite soldiers. V was seperated from the party early in the battle. Elan might have died on the way to the ship. Durkon was the only real choice for sending, as she didn't plan on surviving the fight with the Thieves Guild. She needed the one person who could raise dead to eventually make his way back to Greysky and raise them, and then determine the status of the other party members.

Fish
2013-03-18, 02:55 PM
All in all, I'd say events may well have taken a good 4 hours. The fact that [Sending target] Durkon is now in league with the LG may be of relevance to the plot.
For instance: saying "Xykon is en route to take the Gate." Malack would have first-hand word that there is another player for the Gate. A player whom Nale knows, and hasn't been very forthcoming about. (Zz'dtri scryed upon Elan's warning note.) Double confirmation. Hmmmm.