PDA

View Full Version : Mage Scholar (3.5 Class, General Arcanist)

Waker
2013-03-15, 03:29 AM
Class Skills: The mage scholar's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All) (Int), Profession (Wis), Speak Language (N/A), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Hit Die: D4
\n\n\tLevel\n\tBase Attack Bonus\n\tFort Save\n\tRef Save\n\tWill Save\n\tSpecial\n\t0lvl\n\t1st\n\t2nd\n\t3rd\n\t4t h\n\t5th\n\t6th

[/TD]\n\n\n\t1st\n\t
+0\n\t
+0\n\t
+0\n\t
+2\n\tArcane Apprentice, Arcane Bond, Scribe Scroll\n\t2\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t2nd\n\t
+1\n\t
+0\n\t
+0\n\t
+3\n\tEnergy Refocus\n\t3\n\t0\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t3rd\n\t
+1\n\t
+1\n\t
+1\n\t
+3\n\tDelay Effect\n\t3\n\t1\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t4th\n\t
+2\n\t
+1\n\t
+1\n\t
+4\n\tKnowledge Specialization\n\t3\n\t2\n\t0\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t5th\n\t
+2\n\t
+1\n\t
+1\n\t
+4\n\tBonus Feat\n\t3\n\t3\n\t1\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t6th\n\t
+3\n\t
+2\n\t
+2\n\t
+5\n\tMetamagic Insight\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t7th\n\t
+3\n\t
+2\n\t
+2\n\t
+5\n\tEnergy Absorption 3/day\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t0\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t8th\n\t
+4\n\t
+2\n\t
+2\n\t
+6\n\tArcane Adept 1/day, Energy Repurpose\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t1\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t9th\n\t
+4\n\t
+3\n\t
+3\n\t
+6\n\tKnowledge Specialization, Improved Counterspell\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t-\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t10th\n\t
+5\n\t
+3\n\t
+3\n\t
+7\n\tBonus Feat\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t0\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t11th\n\t
+5\n\t
+3\n\t
+3\n\t
+7\n\tEnergy Absorption 4/day\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t1\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t12th\n\t
+6/+1\n\t
+4\n\t
+4\n\t
+8\n\tMetamagic Insight\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t-\n\t-

\n\n\n\t13th\n\t
+6/+1\n\t
+4\n\t
+4\n\t
+8\n\tSpell Restructure 2/day, Arcane Journeyman\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t0\n\t-

\n\n\n\t14th\n\t
+7/+2\n\t
+4\n\t
+4\n\t
+9\n\tKnowledge Specialization\n\t4\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t1\n\t-

\n\n\n\t15th\n\t
+7/+2\n\t
+5\n\t
+5\n\t
+9\n\tBonus Feat,Energy Absorption 5/day \n\t4\n\t4\n\t3\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t-

\n\n\n\t16th\n\t
+8/+3\n\t
+5\n\t
+5\n\t
+10\n\tArcane Adept 2/day\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t3\n\t3\n\t2\n\t0

\n\n\n\t17th\n\t
+8/+3\n\t
+5\n\t
+5\n\t
+10\n\tSpell Restructure 3/day\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t3\n\t3\n\t1

\n\n\n\t18th\n\t
+9/+4\n\t
+6\n\t
+6\n\t
+11\n\tMetamagic Insight\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t3\n\t2

\n\n\n\t19th\n\t
+9/+4\n\t
+6\n\t
+6\n\t
+11\n\tEnergy Absorption 6/day, Knowledge Specialization\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t3

\n\n\n\t20th\n\t
+10/+5\n\t
+6\n\t
+6\n\t
+12\n\tArcane Master, Bonus Feat\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\t4\n\n

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the mage scholar.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Mage Scholars are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a mage scholar’s movements, which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells
A mage scholar casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. A mage scholar must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the mage scholar must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a mage scholar’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the mage scholar’s Intelligence modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a mage scholar can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Mage Scholar. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score.
Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a mage scholar may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the mage scholar decides which spells to prepare.

Arcane Bond
At level 1, a mage scholar may choose to gain a familiar or a staff. The information for an arcane bound staff are given in the table below.

Scribe Scroll
At 1st level, a mage scholar gains Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat.

Arcane Apprentice
Years of practice have ingrained certain spells so deep into the mage scholar that she can cast them with a thought. A mage scholar of 1st level or higher can cast Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation and Read Magic at will as spell-like abilities. Her caster level is equal to her levels in mage scholar.
In addition, a mage scholar may gather up ambient magical energy and throw it at her foes. The is a ray attack with a range of 30ft and deals 1d4 damage. This ability may be used at will.
Energy Refocus
At 2nd level, a mage scholar masters two of the fundamental rules of energy manipulation. She can expend a prepared spell and unleash the raw arcane energies in the form of a ray. This attack deals 3d6 points of untyped arcane energy per spell level (1d6 for 0 level spells) and has a range of 60ft. The attack requires a standard action and spell resistance does apply.
Alternatively, the mage scholar can throw up an impromptu barrier of energy to defend herself. The barrier provides a +2 Deflection modifier per spell level to her ac (+1 for 0 level spells). Activating this use of the ability requires an immediate action and lasts for one round per spell level (minimum of one round).

Delay Effect
By keying her spells to a simple gesture and command, a mage scholar can cast a bevy of spells in an instant. A mage scholar may cast any spell with a non-instantaneous duration and delay it for a number of hours equal to her intelligence modifier. She may delay a number of spells up to the number indicated on the table based on her mage scholar level. Simultaneously activating these stored spells requires a verbal and somatic component and is a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
\n\n\tLevel\n\tSpells Delayed
\n\n\n\t1-5\n\t 1
\n\n\n\t6-10\n\t 2
\n\n\n\t11-15\n\t 3
\n\n\n\t16-20\n\t 4
\n\n

Knowledge Specialization
At level 4, the mage scholar chooses an area of special research to study. Choose any Knowledge or Spellcraft and gain gain a +2 bonus on it. At 9, 14 and 19 levels choose an additional Knowledge while increasing the prior chosen skills by +2.

Bonus Feats
At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, a mage scholar gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity, she can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery. The mage scholar must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums.

Metamagic Insight
At 6th level, the mage scholar's research into the arcane bears fruit. The mage scholar can reduce the overall adjusted level of a spell modified by a metamagic feat by 1. This cannot reduce a spell to lower than it's original level. At 12th level and again at 18th level, this is reduced by an additional 1.

Energy Absorption
With her deep understanding of magical energies, a mage scholar can preserve the effects of an on-going spell. When affected by a non-harmful on-going effect, the mage scholar can suppress the spell for a number of hours equal to her intelligence modifier. When the spell resumes use, it has the same duration as it did when it was subsumed. Activating this ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. A mage scholar cannot suppress a spell of a higher level than one she can cast. This ability may be used three times per day at level 7, gaining an additional use at 11, 15 and 19 levels.

Arcane Adept
By adjusting aspects of her prepared spells, a mage scholar can quickly change them into a different spell entirely. Once per day an 8th level mage scholar can expend a prepared spell to cast another spell she knows of equal or lower level. A mage scholar gains an additional use of this ability at level 16.

Energy Repurpose
The mage scholar's growing familiarity for magical forces and arcane implements allow her to substitute her own energies when dealing with her magely tools. A mage scholar can expend one of her prepared spells in place of a charge of an equal or lower level on a wand or rod.

Improved Counterspell
At level 9 a mage scholar gains Improved Counterspell as a bonus feat. If she already has already taken this feat, she may choose another feat that she meets the requirements for.

Spell Restructure
Having delved deeper into her arcane theorems, a mage scholar can now reshape the forms that her spells take. At 13th level a mage scholar can adjust the dimensions of a spell twice per day. At level 17, she gains an additional use of this ability. The following table details the adjustments allowed.
\n\n\tGroup\n\tAdjustments
\n\n\n\tGroup 1\n\t 15-foot cone OR 10-foot-radius cylinder, 40 feet high OR 30-foot line OR 5-, 10-, or 15-foot-radius sphere
\n\n\n\tGroup 2\n\t 30-foot cone OR 20-foot-radius cylinder, 40 feet high OR 60-foot line OR 20- or 30-foot-radius sphere
\n\n\n\tGroup 3\n\t 60-foot cone OR 40-foot-radius cylinder, 40 feet high OR 120-foot line OR 40- or 80-foot-radius sphere
\n\n

Arcane Journeyman
When dealing with more powerful spellcasters, a mage scholar has learned to counter their efforts with her humbler spells. When attempting to counterspell a target, a mage scholar can negate a higher level spell by expending a number of spells whose total levels are at least double the target spell. For example, if attempting to counter a level 9 spell, a mage scholar could expend three level six spells (6+6+6=9X2). The spells expended do not need to share the same school as the targeted spell.

Arcane Master
The mage scholar has reached the pinnacle of her craft. At level 20, a mage scholar gains several benefits. When using the ray attack ability granted by her Energy Refocus, she deals an extra +3 damage per spell level. The bonus ac granted by the Energy Refocus is now +3 per spell level (+2 for 0-level spells).
Lastly she applies the benefit of Extend Spell to all of her spells without increasing the spells level. This bonus does not stack with the Extend Spell feat.

Mage Scholar's Staff
\n\n\tMage Scholar Level\n\tHardness\n\tHit Points\n\tSpecial
\n\n\n\t1st-2nd\n\t5\n\t15\n\tDeliver Touch Spells
\n\n\n\t3rd-4th\n\t5\n\t15\n\tEnhanced Weapon +1
\n\n\n\t5th-6th\n\t5\n\t15\n\tRemote Viewing
\n\n\n\t7th-8th\n\t10\n\t20\n\t
\n\n\n\t9th-10th\n\t10\n\t20\n\tVital Transfer
\n\n\n\t11th-12th\n\t10\n\t20\n\tEnhanced Weapon +2
\n\n\n\t13th-14th\n\t15\n\t25\n\tPerfect Location
\n\n\n\t15th-16th\n\t15\n\t25\n\tMighty Weapon
\n\n\n\t17th-18th\n\t15\n\t25\n\tReturn
\n\n\n\t19th-20th\n\t20\n\t30\n\tEnhanced Weapon +3 \n\n

Deliver Touch Spells: When using the staff in this way, the wielder may attempt to deal damage with the staff by hitting the target's standard AC as opposed to touch AC. A successful critical hit does not double the damage of the delivered spell.
Enhanced Weapon: The staff gains an enhancement bonus as listed in the table. This applies to both ends of the staff. In anyone's hands but the mage scholar, it is merely a masterwork staff.
Remote Viewing: The mage scholar may view the surroundings of her staff as per clairvoyance except with a duration of concentration and infinite range, so long as the staff is on the same plane. While in effect, the staff gives off illumination equal to a candle.
Vital Transfer: As a standard action, a mage scholar may transfer any amount of her own health to repair an equal amount of damage on her staff.
Perfect Location: By concentrating for a full round, the mage scholar knows the exact distance and direction to her staff so long as it is on the same plane.
Mighty Weapon: The staff gains the bane, defending, flaming, frost, merciful, shock or thundering special property. This applies to both ends.
Return: As a standard action, a mage scholar can summon her staff to her hands so long as it is on the same plane. Any effect targeting the mage scholar or staff that prevents teleportation blocks this power.

Waker
2013-03-15, 03:37 AM
This was actually a class that I've had floating around in my head in one form or another for about two years. I finally got the urge to post it, though I still need to adjust and arrange the class abilities.
My goal for this class was a T2/3 Wizard, below a Sorcerer but above Bard. Has all the same flavor and versatility of the wizard class without the infinite cosmic power. I think it fits a bit better with other classes and doesn't completely blow the Sorcerer out of the water.
I wanted this class to represent someone who studied magic and got all the basics down while learning some neat tricks along the way. So whereas a Sorcerer has magic come to him naturally and has access to the most powerful spells, the Mage Scholar is more adept at adjusting his spells to suit the situation he finds himself in.
Eventually the class will have some metamagic reduction abilities, a number of at-will cantrips, the ability to expend spells to spontaneously cast from a list of chosen spells (akin to spell mastery) as well as a few other treats.
Oh, one quick note. Unlike the Wizard, the Mage Scholar won't be able to specialize in a school of magic. So it won't have an equivalent Transmuter or Conjurer thing going for it.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-15, 05:09 AM
The problem is that we can't see how his abilities actually work because you haven't posted them yet. Thus we can't know if he's balanced or if he's all but useless like the 3.5 bard is.

Pathfinder Bard is actually useful for a change. I suggest you compare your class to it. For example, a 20th lvl bard can bring a DC 33 instant-death effect that isn't affected by Spell Resistance (in a game that monst instant-deaths were reduced to just damage) nearly 60 times per day. Of course, it doesn't work on constructs/undead but nobody's perfect.

Waker
2013-03-15, 05:33 AM
You think the bard is useless in 3.5? Such a shame, it is my favorite class and can be tons of fun if played right.
Nonetheless you are correct, the class is currently unfinished. I simply put the placeholders in the post to help me remember what need to work on when I wake up tomorrow. As I am running on three hours of sleep in the past two days however, I opted to wait until I was rested before I got into the specifics.
I did mention that I have had the idea in my head for awhile, but since it was for a different system I need to adjust the mechanics for the powers.

Waker
2013-03-15, 04:28 PM
Right, well I have a brief update for the class. Not quite as extensive as I may have wished, but the lack of sleep isn't doing my thought process many favors. I did clarify a few abilities, though many still need rewording, not to mention being placed on the table.

As always, feel free to ask me questions or comment on the class.

WyvernLord
2013-03-15, 09:53 PM
Metamagic adept needs to be limited so it can not bring the level of the spell below its base.
Energy repurpose is cool, and useful, an easy way to diversify your spell options which is good with only six spell levels. UMD on skill list is a good synergy. Clarify if you need a spell slot of equal level though.
Energy absorption and deley spell are neat tricks.
Looking forward to the rest.

Waker
2013-03-15, 11:44 PM
Updated the post a bit, including clarifying the class abilities and starting to put stuff in the table.

Waker
2013-03-16, 04:00 AM
Class is just about done. I would like to come up with a capstone ability to congratulate someone who resisted the urge to multi-class or wander into a PrC. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

And critique to your heart's content. I want to hear your opinions of the class. Remember I'm aiming for T2/3 between Sorcerer and Bard in power. The class is meant to be a lower power wizard equivalent who researches the how and why of magic.

WyvernLord
2013-03-16, 11:05 AM
How about an ability to ignore AMFs as your capstone. You are such an expert even things that are deliberately targeted against you are inconsequential.
Pretty cool class in total.

Maquise
2013-03-26, 09:27 AM
I agree that it needs a capstone, but all and all, it looks like a good, lower power replacement for the wizard. The abilities are logical, and looks strong.

Waker
2013-03-26, 10:52 AM
There! I'm done except for a bit of fluff here and there. Give me all the feedback that you can manage! I am ready for it.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-26, 10:57 AM
Unless I'm missing something obvious, this is still T1.

It has fewer spells per a day and gets access to new spells at a lower level, so it is weaker than a straight wizard. At level n this essentially like a level n-1 generallst wizard with a few goodies, and in practice may run out of spells about the same time a level n wizard because of Arcane Apprentice and some of the other class features allow them to get away with not preparing certain common spells.

Two of the class features are strong enough to make this unambiguously still T1: Delay Effect is extremely powerful and if used well could do extreme damage to the action economy. Metamagic Insight allows massive abuse.

Energy Absorption is going to make it even harder for them to run out of spells, and will mean they can effectively use more buffs per a day.

This analysis breaks down even further at the very highest levels since at levels 18 you have as many spells per a day than a wizard of that level, and at 19 and 20 you have more. This means that Mage Scholar 18, 19 20 are strictly better than the a wizard of the same level. And some of the class features are even good enough that they'll be better than many wizard/PrC dip builds that aren't that sophisticated (say for example wizard/15/loremaster 4 will still be weaker than Mage Scholar 19).

The idea is interesting but in order to make this not T1 you'd need to substantially reduce in some way what spells they can cast.

Options for this: Something like prohibited schools would be an obvious start. If you don't want them to be too severe, use maybe the Pathfinder version of opposed schools. But even then, this would still be T1.

Other potential restrictions that might help reduce the Tier:

0) Reduce their spells per a day at the upper levels so it at most ties with a wizard

1) Having to make a spellcraft check the first time you cast a given spell, and not being able to successfully cast it until you've done so. This is thematic but will only help a tiny bit, for spells without massive material components one will often have time to do this when one has downtime for each of one's spells. Moreover, this may encourage heavy spellcraft optimization, and they already get a class feature for that.

2) Maybe some restriction on what sort of spells one can prepare daily? Say possibly no preparing two spells of opposing nature in the same level (so can't have both a level 1 [light] spell in a level 1 slot and a level [darkness] spell, same with [fire] and [water] and so on). This will reduce some of the more insane degrees of preparation, but only in narrow corner cases.

3) Make a total number of spells you can know well enough to prepare. Ideally this should lets you have a lot of spells to prep, but isn't overwhelming as it is for a regular wizard. Say any number of cantrips, and then for other spells, (int mod - spell level)*mage scholar level/2. This may not be the best formula, but something like this may work, and may be worth playing around with.

4) Some combination of the above suggestions? I don't know.

Waker
2013-03-26, 11:11 AM
I can see this class as T2, but you really think that it could manage T1 because of the class abilities? And how do you figure it has as many spells per day as a wizard? It doesn't even get the 7th-9th so that cuts it short by probably a dozen and a half spells per day at least.
Energy Absorption is useful, but at most it can be used 6/day. The metamagic reducer is powerful I admit.

Limiting it's spell list was something I had been considering, though that will take a bit of time to peruse and edit.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-26, 11:27 AM
I can see this class as T2, but you really think that it could manage T1 because of the class abilities? And how do you figure it has as many spells per day as a wizard? It doesn't even get the 7th-9th so that cuts it short by probably a dozen and a half spells per day at least.
Energy Absorption is useful, but at most it can be used 6/day. The metamagic reducer is powerful I admit.

Limiting it's spell list was something I had been considering, though that will take a bit of time to peruse and edit.

Oh, I misread the table (and just saw a line of 4s at the bottom). So gets up to sixth level spells. I see now. Hmm, disregard most of what I've said them. This is pretty decent, and does amount to a T3 prepared caster. Good job.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-26, 01:57 PM
I would check out the Archivist class and consider borrowing from the Dark Knowledge ability that grants bonuses against creatures identified with the relevant knowledge skill.

Waker
2013-03-26, 02:25 PM
I would check out the Archivist class and consider borrowing from the Dark Knowledge ability that grants bonuses against creatures identified with the relevant knowledge skill.

Didn't want to go that route with the knowledge skill. Whereas the archivist is one who studies monsters and forbidden knowledge, the scholar is all about magical theory.