PDA

View Full Version : Help play test, monster/race (3.5)

Drackstin
2013-03-15, 09:04 AM
i am working on a new race for my game, also to be used as a monster in general, i was wondering if some people could help play test if, and make suggestions, i think i have it balanced but i am not sure.

Dynastian
+2 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha.
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Blindsense: The Dynastian naturally has blindsense starting at 40 ft, at 6 HD this increases to 80 ft, to a maximum of 120 ft at 12 HD.
Speed: 40 ft.
Flight: Equal to its base land speed with average maneuverability.
Immunity: magical sleep.
Resistance Electric 5
Exoskeleton: The Dynastian's Exoskeleton is extraordinarily tough and grows with them over time. A Dynastian has a +2 Natural Armor; this grows harder at 6 HD to +4 Natural Armor and again at 12 HD to +6 Natural Armor.
Multiple Limbs: 4 arms
Natural Attacks: 4 secondary claws, 1 primary gore
Static Charge (Ex): on a charge or dive, a foe damaged by your natural attacks make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the Dynastian's HD + its Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned character can’t act, loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, and takes a –2 penalty to AC.
Blindness (Ex): The Dynastian cannot see normally. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. It does not, however, suffer the penalties normally for blindness:
spell-like abilities: 3/day - shocking grasp, orb of electricity; 1/day - lightning bolt. It's hit dice is counted as caster level for these spell-like abilities.
Racial Hit Dice: Two levels of Monstrous humanoid, 2d8 HD, +2 BAB, Fort +0, Ref +2, Wil +2.
Racial Skills: 5x(2+int mod) class skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen.
Racial Feat: Hover (B) and one for its levels in monstrous humanoid, usually Improved Natural Attack (Gore), Improved Natural Attack (Claw), or Improved Initiative.
Automatic Languages: Common, Dynastian. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Sylvan, and Thri-kreen.
Favored Class: Ranger/Fighter
Level Adjustment: +2

A Dynastian resembles a beetle in humanoid shape, with 4 dragonfly like wings without the normal shell covering. a hard protective shell with a crescent shaped horn protects it head but renders it blind, although it has adapted to this being able to use its other seances to pinpoint things around it. it has 4 arms that end in 3 nailed claws, they normal stand about 7 feet tall and have a weight around 300 pounds. The Dynastian has also evolved to generates large electric currents by way of a highly specialized nervous system that has the capacity to synchronize the activity of disc-shaped, electricity-producing cells packed into a specialized electric organ. This allows it to store energy to use when needed.

Drackstin
2013-03-15, 01:44 PM
i have been getting a lot of suggestions in the normal 3.5 forums, and i would like to hear from some people that do make monsters and races.

if anyone has any comments please let me know

Debihuman
2013-03-18, 03:17 PM
Your LA is WAY too low.

40 foot speed which is 10 feet over average for Medium AND flight (which is LA +1 by itself) = LA +2

A +2 Str and +4 Con is equal to -2 Int and -4 Wis. Where is it worth only -2 Cha for a +4 Con? This is worth LA +1

Blindsense should start at 30 feet and since it increases with HD (which most creatures don't) it is worth LA +1 and possibly more.

Resistance 5 is LA +1 only because it has other things for free and this pushes it over the top.

Immunity to sleep? Why? It's not an elf. It gets either this or Blindsense free but not both. And that's normal blindsense 30 feet that doesn't scale.

Natural AC that increases is worth LA +1 at least.

Blindness that isn't blindness is stupid. LA +1 (it's a bonus if you don't have to take the penalties)

Wait, it has 4 arms and can make attacks with all of them AND a gore attack? +2 La for that alone.

Blindsense: This makes sense as a freebie but it is over powered if it also has immunity to sleep for free too. Pick one or add +1 LA for having both.

Spell-like abilities are worth LA +1

I don't understand your racial feats. Improved Natural Attacks only mean that your attacks improve when you increase in size and since you haven't done so, they have no real effect other than preventing you from benefitting if you actually gain a size (say from Enlarge spell).

Hover should be the only bonus feat. If you get three feats for free that's like getting a free level in something and I'm calling FOUL on that. I'd give it one racial bonus feat (either Hover or Improved Initiative) but not both. Free if it's only one free bonus feat or +1 LA if you can take 3.

Why bother making up a racial language that no other character can understand? There's a reason they tried to limit the number of lanugages.

As a monster (were you to make this in monster format) it would be okay but it's not a playable PC race by any means. It's LA is too big. You do the math.

Debby

ngilop
2013-03-18, 03:56 PM
you have several abilites that are either having trades off with disadvantages or the disadvantages are so small they are basically non-existant.

the LA should be IMO +6 or +7

4 arms and increasing NA is +1

the unbalanced stats and spell abilites are another +1

and im stil up in the air about blindness that is not blindess at all but getting some crazy increasing like crazy blindsight bieng +1 or +2 LA

then you give them 3 bonus feats.. yeah thats +1

add this onto your already LA of +2 and thats about right.

inuyasha
2013-03-18, 06:26 PM
yeah I got LA +8 using my sources, and that isnt including Racial hit dice :p