PDA

View Full Version : Generalist Elven Wizard

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 11:20 AM
So I wanted to make an Elf wizard that had a crap load of spells and after some research I found an interesting setup.

Gray Elf (I'm American so its A if I was European it would be grey with an E)

Stats
28 pt

Str 6
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 8
Cha 8

32pt
Str 6
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 20
Wis 8
Cha 8

Rolled
Str 12
Dex 20
Con 14
Int 20
Wis 13
Cha 10
(Freaking 2 18's?! yes please!)

ACF's
Elf Wizard Substitution (RoW)
Domain Wizard (Fire, UA)
1 Flaw (Noncombatant, UA)

Feats
Flaw Aerenal Arcanist (PGtE)
1st Collegiate Wizard (CA)
3rd Searing Spell (Sandstorm)
5th
6th
9th
10th
12th
15th
18th
20th

So basically this character knows a crap load of spells and can cast a lot per day. Beyond that I don't know what to do with him. I intend to take the 3rd level sub for elven wizard and either a hummingbird for +8 to init or a lemming for a total of +8 to spot and listen from elf, alertness and double bonus from lemming. Leaning more towards the lemming since it isn't dragon material.

If the DM doesn't allow Eberron then I don't take a flaw since I don't need the extra feat. Thought about taking spellcasting prodigy as well but I figure that isn't really necessary.

With everything written as is at 1st level he knows
all 0 level spells + his domain spell / 14 1st level spells

he casts
3l+domain 0th level / 4 first + domain 1st Level

At 3rd level he knows
all 0 plus domain / 20 1st level spells / 7 2nd level spells

he casts
4 + domain 0th level / 4 + domain 1st level / 3 + domain 2nd level

So what do you guys think? Is there anything else to take with him to make him cast more per day or know more spells? I want him to sling spells like candy at a parade.

Thank you all for your time and your help. You guys always make very interesting contributions.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 11:28 AM
If the DM doesn't allow Eberron then I don't take a flaw since I don't need the extra feat.

Eh? How came? You could use improved initiative (well actually you can get that one in place of scribe scroll). You could get a prerequisite for prestige class (Mage of the Arcane Order is awesome). You could get Spellcasting Prodigy (+2 int for spell casting purposes). You could do tons of great things with extra feat.

Story
2013-03-15, 11:38 AM
Fire Domain is generally considered a subpar option. Conjuration Domain is the most useful, closely followed by Transmutation Domain.

And more feats is always good if you don't have to give up anything important. No matter what you're building, you'll never have enough feats.

Eldariel
2013-03-15, 11:40 AM
Clearly you want Uncanny Forethought (http://dndtools.eu/feats/exemplars-of-evil--64/uncanny-forethought--3009/) to cast a ton of spells spontaneously daily.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 11:41 AM
Its iffy depending on which group I play with. One of my groups allows anything at all, one only allows certain materials, and one we have a custom list that doesn't generally include eberron campaign materials but sometimes does.

If I were playing where dragon was allowed I would add in faerie mysteries and keen intellect. Int to will saves and to hit points? yes please!

Where is spellcasting prodigy? faerun? forgotten realms? I try to take only one flaw but I am considering some more taking a second one for that feat or just skipping the eberron feat completely.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 11:44 AM
{Scrubbed}

EDIT: Eh, weird. Wherever I read the feat it increased DCs too.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 11:46 AM
Uncanny forethought is pretty sweet but I doubt the eberron negative group would allow exemplars of evil lol.

I know fire is pretty subpar but it really just adds some spells I didn't intend to take and gives me some blasty options. Though I suppose with this many spells known I should take a domain with spells that I can't learn otherwise.

Sweet I'll look it up. I might be able to play with that one in just about any group.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 11:52 AM
anyone have any suggestions on furthering the build? I mean I don't have any ideas beyond 3rd really since he is basically just a huge box of utility. A wizard with more spells than a sorcerer is my plan but other than that I have no clue.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 11:56 AM
You could get a prerequisite for prestige class (Mage of the Arcane Order is awesome).

This PrC gives you access to all Sorcerer/Wizard spells from Players Handbook. Never learn spells you need rarely. And never miss not having learned them!

{scrubbed}

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 12:06 PM
Hmmmm that is an interesting prc and not too shabby of prereqs. Any other ideas? I was think archmage eventually maybe?

Oh and I decided to be bad. His name is either going to be Quint Essential, Wizard Extraordinaire, Exile of the Gray Elves for Being Happy and Amiable or Quintus Essentialis :D

Story
2013-03-15, 12:28 PM
I've always wanted to try Anima Mage. Unfortunately, it's nongood only, but there's an adaptation section which suggests you can refluff it to not be evil.

Initiative bonus, free metamagic, extra versatility from vestiges, what more could you want? It's like a non broken version of Incantrix.

Ultimate Magus is similar, but a lot more limited, and it requires you to give up a second level if you take it all the way.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 12:29 PM
What do you want to do (besides being better sorcerer than sorcerer)?

Karnith
2013-03-15, 12:30 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

EDIT: Eh, weird. Wherever I read the feat it increased DCs too.
That was the old (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting) version, which was actually good.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 12:40 PM
In all honesty I don't really know. I kind of just want to play a wizard with more spells per day and known than any other wizard or sorcerer. I thought ultimate magus would be cool but it puts you two full spell levels behind so I don't like it. I am thinking just straight wizard or wizard plus full casting prc.

Archmage while thematically interesting reduces my spells per day so I don't like that very much.

Arcane order is interesting but regent is completely useless so I'd probably take it max 7th level maybe 8th because I get a boost to saves bab and get another bonus spell.

Really I just want to cast crap loads of spells and be ready for just about anything. As soon as he can get the spell to redo his whole spell list he will mem that every single day.

I imagine anima mage is from tome of magic? I think all of the groups actually don't use the tome books. Not sure I'd have to ask. Now to look up what it does lol.

Also how is incantatrix broken?

strider24seven
2013-03-15, 01:06 PM
Your build is lacking versatile spellcaster for 9th level spells at 1st level.

Story
2013-03-15, 01:13 PM
Incantrix is by far the most powerful Prc in the game, barring specific tricks. Other OP Prcs like Dweomerkeeper have specific tricks that make them broken (like ignoring XP components).

Incantrix has no less than 5 different powerful abilities, all very good individually even if used as intended. And since it's based on a simple skill check, it quickly becomes broken if you optimize at all.

Anima Mage is from Tome of Magic, unfortunately.

If you want to know lots of spells, be sure to dip Geometer 2 to reduce scribing costs. And use Complete Arcane's rules for mastering foreign spellbooks to cut down on costly copying.

Going Rainbow Servant eventually gets you access to the entire Cleric spell list. But it has more of a divine flavor with annoying RP requirements.

Recaster and Wrym Wizard can both get you any single non Wizard spell, at the cost of losing a level. Recaster has some other nice abilities too, but it requires you to be a Changeling.

As for redoing your build on the fly, you'll want to get access to Psychic Reformation somehow. Ask your DM if you can use Limited Wish to emulate it. It's well within the power level of Limited Wish, but since it's not specifically on the list of safe effects, you'll have to get approval.

The ability to change your feats on the fly is especially useful with open ended feats like Martial Study, Shape Soulmeld and Extra Spell. Planar Touchstone would be great too, but I don't think it works since you have to somehow acquire the touchstone first.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 01:18 PM
Archmage while thematically interesting reduces my spells per day so I don't like that very much.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c4090262a18cabea4152ab4f010f2094/tumblr_mhrm12ykp01qiwcbgo1_1280.jpg

Please take a closer look at the class, specifically "Spell-like Ability" (hint exchanging 5&9 level slots for 2/day 9th level SLA is better than sacrificing 5&0 level slots for 2/day 0th level SLA).

Arcane order is interesting but regent is completely useless so I'd probably take it max 7th level maybe 8th because I get a boost to saves bab and get another bonus spell.

Yup, don't take all levels. I'd stop taking it after getting last metamagic feat from it.

Really I just want to cast crap loads of spells and be ready for just about anything. As soon as he can get the spell to redo his whole spell list he will mem that every single day.

Unseens seer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/unseen-seer/) will give you some extra spells known. The good part is they don't have to be from Sorcerer/Wizard list.

One level in Nightmaer Spinner (http://dndtools.eu/classes/nightmare-spinner/) will give you some extra spell slots (but it will also sacrifice slots... it gives more than takes away).

Also how is incantatrix broken?

It can apply metamagic to spells without increasing used spell slot.

Your build is lacking versatile spellcaster for 9th level spells at 1st level.

:smallwink:

Story
2013-03-15, 01:22 PM
It can apply metamagic to spells without increasing used spell slot.

Lots of classes can. Incantrix is broken because it can do so without any caps or limits. And it can do so in several different ways, and gives bonus feats too. Plus it's ridiculously easy to enter (especially with Otyugh Hole) and doesn't require you to lose a level.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 01:44 PM
Haha I'd like to stay away from broken things and just stick with lots and lots of spells. MotAO seems like the best way to go for more spells known since I can swap to any spell out of the PHB.

The problem with swapping a 9th level spell for a 2/day SLA is that I can't use that slot any more. Spell engine could swap that spell for the perfect spell to kill the BBEG.

With most games I don't get much beyond 12th - 15th level so that is what I am looking to build for.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-15, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I would pick Keen Intellect from OA 3.5 (Dragion 318) as my first level only feat. It lets you use Intelligence instead of Wisdom for Will saves, as well as for Heal, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks.

I would also consider taking the fighter feat wizard variant, to replace Scribe Scroll with Martial Study (any desert wind maneuver) so you can get Tumble as a constant class skill.

I would also recommend looking at the LA +0 Arctic template from Dragon 306 for +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.

Edit: Oops, nm, missed the part about no dragon magazine, although you could argue that Keen Intellect is from an OA 3.5 update that happens to be in Dragon Magazine.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 02:09 PM
hmmm very good suggestions those. I like into to spot since I already get +12 at 3rd level lol.

What do you guys think about

Wizard 3 /Spontaneous caster 2/ Ultimate magus 10

By using practiced spellcaster at 6th with the spontaneous class I can make the marge a CL6 while the wizard is CL3 allowing me at every level that I can only increase the lower caster level arcane class as wizard. So at the end of that I would be Wizard 13 (CL17 from arcane power) spontaneous 9th (CL17 arcane power andpracticed spellcaster)

so 7th level wizards spells and 4th level other caster spells. Then I could take legacy Champion or uncanny trickster to keep up.

Any suggestions for spontaneous catsers? I was thinking beguiler since the Int synergy.

Or do you all think I should go straight Wizard with MotAO?

Andion Isurand
2013-03-15, 02:12 PM
I thought arcane power only affects your lowest class.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 02:19 PM
can I post direct quotes from complete mage?

Arcane Spell Power (Ex): At 1st level, your caster level
for all arcane spells increases by 1. It increases again at 4th
level, 7th level, and 10th level (to a maximum of +4).

If not I will edit it out.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-15, 02:27 PM
Here's the recipe for one of my favorite ways of playing D&D, an Easy Bake Wizard. Put the Sorcerer to shame (well, at anything except metamagic-heavy blasting...sorcerer has a ton of ACF's for that, which you don't get...)!

Easy Bake No "Worries" Wizard

Ingredients:
1 Gray Elf (SRD, MM1)
1 Wizard Class (PHB, SRD)
1 Elf Wizard Racial Substitution Level (Races of the Wild)
1 Eidetic Spellcaster Alternative Class Feature (Dragon Magazine #357 -- the core of the build!)
1 Spontaneous Divination Alternative Class Feature (Complete Champion, be sure to check out the errata online!)
1 Collegiate Wizard Feat (Complete Arcane)
1 Aerenal Arcanist feat (Player's Guide to Eberron, optional)
1 Eschew Materials feat (PHB, SRD)
1 Domain Wizard variant, Transmutation or Conjuration domain (SRD, Unearthed Arcana, optional)
Flaws, to taste (SRD, Unearthed Arcana, optional, but necessary if you want all those feats by level 3)
Extra bits, optional, see later instructions!

Mix in bowl, and be sure to top with any one of these feats:
Acidic Splatter, Winter's Blast, or Fiery Burst (all from Complete Mage)

Notes: if it doesn't turn out right when playing it in a zero wealth game, you picked bad spells. Be sure to look at the various wizard handbooks for how to pick solid, powerful, versatile spells. And it is very thematic that you can do stuff like leave a slot open to spend 15 minutes preparing the correct spell you need in it, or take Uncanny Forethought or Alacritous Cogitation, or Nexus Method, consider taking those later. And you automatically just 'get' spells like a sorcerer... no need for scrolls or anything. This Wizard idea relies on exactly zero found scrolls and zero need for items to scribe things into his spellbook, and with Eschew Materials and the right spells chosen, doesn't even need a Spell Component Pouch (just don't take any spells with focuses or components more than 5 gp)! Also, some people might think that this trading out the ability to specialize three times, but that isn't what is going on. Due to differing language between the various options, that isn't what's happening. Some of the stuff says that 'if you don't specialize, you can do this', some of the stuff says 'by removing the ability to specialize entirely, you gain this ability.' Order in which the abilities are taken matters.

Further, some more possible ingredients to take include:

-Alacritous Cogitation feat at level 6 (Complete Mage)
-Another Great option for race is a Lesser Fey'ri (Players Guide to Faerun and Races of Faerun) with LA Bought off (the LA buyoff option is in the SRD and Unearthed Arcana; choose the powers to get the minimum LA for that race). This lets you make use of that Alter Self at will; read the handbook on the uses of Alter Self, it's fantastic.
-Get the Nexus Method feat from Dragon Magazine #319! This lets you spontaneously cast the summon monster line, and apparently adds all the spells to your spellbook! If you do this, you probably want the Transmutation Domain rather than the Conjuration Domain, to maximize spells known.
-Another option is Lesser Celadrin. You combine the rules in Player's Guide to Faerun and the rules in Dragon Magazine #350 to get Lesser Celadrin.
-Also, Fire Elf (UA/SRD) works well too.

-If you ask for houserules, consider these two:
-Permission to house rule that you can take Uncanny Forethought (Exemplars of Evil) at level 9, with the Alacritous Cogitation (Complete Mage) and the Eidetic Spellacster ACF taking place of the Spell Mastery prerequisite, without access to the 'spell mastery' capability from that feat
-Hopefully permission to house rule for the character to count Autohypnosis (XPH, SRD) as a class skill, to describe the character's eidetic memory being useful for things other than spellcasting (assuming the GM uses Autohypnosis in his game!)

Some numbers:

Basic Wizard: Start with 3+Int mod L1 spells, +2 each level as baseline
Elf Generalist Wizard: +1 wizard spell at start, +1 each level beyond baseline
Collegiate Wizard: Instead of 3+int and +2 each level, baseline is set at 6+int and +4 each level
Aerenal Arcanist: +1 each level beyond baseline, including L1 if you take it then
Domain Wizard (Transmutation or Conjuration): One specific extra spell of each spell levels; +9 spells over career (cantrip is already known)
Nexus Method: Apparently automatically gets you the entire Summon Monster line!

So at level one, with a 20 int (cause Grey Elf or whatever, or 21 if you start at middle aged...) you know:
13 level one spells, plus mage armor or expeditious retreat automatically
At level 2, you gain six new L1 spells
At level 3, you gain 6 spells of up to spell level 2, and levitate or web, depending...

Essentially, you end up with a more versatile Sorcerer, who has access to a TON of spells, and can always get the right spell for the job... even with no gear whatsoever. And no Vow of Poverty needed to be useful without wealth!

Finally, if you want to gain access to even MORE spells, the Mage of the Arcane Order prestige class can be useful. Or, if you have access to wealth by level, than Mercantile Background can get you cheaper scrolls to scribe to your brain.

Story
2013-03-15, 02:46 PM
can I post direct quotes from complete mage?

Arcane Spell Power (Ex): At 1st level, your caster level
for all arcane spells increases by 1. It increases again at 4th
level, 7th level, and 10th level (to a maximum of +4).

If not I will edit it out.

It's not OGL, but it is available free on WOTC's site, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Plus it's arguably fair use.

Anyway, I don't see any reason to take a second level of Beguiler. If you're going to go full UM, you might as well use the second lost level on a paragon class.

Do something like
Beguiler 1/Wizard 1/Elf Paragon 3/Ultimate Magus 10

You still have the same effective Wizard level, but now you get more skills and +2 int as well.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 03:02 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of Elf paragon! +2 to int would give me a 23 int at 5th level 24 at 8th with hopefully a headband of int lol.

Hmmm still lose out on a level of casting but beguiler is more for extra umph.

So Wizard1/ Elf Paragon 3/ Beguiler 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Legacy Champion 5(if allowed this book)

it would make me an 18th(23 cl) wizard 13th(22CL) beguiler.

I know beguiler gets more skill points but collegiate gives those bonus spells and you have to take it at 1st level.

Gavin no dragon mag materials or dragon compendium materials.

Story
2013-03-15, 03:04 PM
I know beguiler gets more skill points but collegiate gives those bonus spells and you have to take it at 1st level.

Oops, I forgot about that. In that case, it makes sense to take Wizard at 1st.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 03:09 PM
I think I am just going to stick with straight wizard. I might take Elf paragon 3 but I doubt it. I like the idea of straight wizard with some full casting prcs thrown in.

Ultimate magus is interesting but I really want him to be a wizard. I think wizard / MotAO looks like the basis for the build so far.

Story
2013-03-15, 03:22 PM
If you're sticking with Wizard, remember to take Spontaneous Divination at level 5. Also try to get Uncanny Forethought if you can.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 03:41 PM
haha for fun I was looking at the spells known for this guy. you know all 0th level, 19 1st plus domain, 12 plus domain of 2nd through 8th, and 24 plus domain 9th level spells.

Tha is just ones you get for free. How much does a 9th level spell cost? its at least 900 gp to scribe it into your spell book so this guy gets 80,000 gp worth of free spell mats for scribing them into his book... Pretty awesome.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 03:43 PM
why do I need spontaneous divination if I already have spellpool?

Eldariel
2013-03-15, 03:45 PM
why do I need spontaneous divination if I already have spellpool?

No spellpool debt 'n' action stuff.

tricktroller
2013-03-15, 03:50 PM
True.... good point my friend good point. Plus it is completely free. I don't have to leave slots open for this one.

I think after I take cooperative spell I am just going to take extra slot at every feat. Moar spells per day!

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 04:04 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of Elf paragon! +2 to int would give me a 23 int at 5th level 24 at 8th with hopefully a headband of int lol.

But you would loose one spell casting level. So you would get less high-level spells.

True.... good point my friend good point. Plus it is completely free. I don't have to leave slots open for this one.

May I interest you in domain granted power, sir (or lady or whatever you wish to be called (you didn't specify))?

Lots of classes can. Incantrix is broken because it can do so without any caps or limits. And it can do so in several different ways, and gives bonus feats too. Plus it's ridiculously easy to enter (especially with Otyugh Hole) and doesn't require you to lose a level.

It has limits. It's just that the limit is really high.

EDIT: Made post sillier gender agnostic.

Story
2013-03-15, 04:55 PM
But you would loose one spell casting level. So you would get less high-level spells.

May I interest you in domain granted power, sir (or lady or whatever you wish to be called (you didn't specify))?

It has limits. It's just that the limit is really high.

That was under the assumption that he's going Ultimate Magus, in which case he'd lose two levels anyway. So taking Elf Paragon doesn't cost him anything.

Oops, I didn't notice the limit on the use. But 5+Int/day (plus an additional 3+Int on Cooperative) is still ridiculous. A pair of 20th level Incantrixes could plausibly each be persisting 36 spells per day. Can they even cast that many?

ahenobarbi
2013-03-15, 05:17 PM
That was under the assumption that he's going Ultimate Magus, in which case he'd lose two levels anyway. So taking Elf Paragon doesn't cost him anything.

I'd say it hurts all the more.

Oops, I didn't notice the limit on the use. But 5+Int/day (plus an additional 3+Int on Cooperative) is still ridiculous. A pair of 20th level Incantrixes could plausibly each be persisting 36 spells per day. Can they even cast that many?

Yes, the limit is high but there is one.

Wizard 20 (without bonus slots and can trips) gets 4 slots of each level exactly 36 spells. But you know they don't have to use only persistent spell metamagic :smallsmile:

Story
2013-03-15, 05:37 PM
I'd say it hurts all the more.

How so? The only thing they're losing in that case is a level of Beguiler progression. I guess it could make a difference if it lowers your ability to apply free metamagic, but it's not a big deal.

Wings of Peace
2013-03-15, 06:05 PM
Just wanted to toss this out there, the Storm domain grants the most non-wizard spells of any of the domains if I'm remembering correctly. Not that the Storm domain spells are innately better than the other domains' spells but if you're the sort of person who wants total maximum profit from their choices I'd suggest Storm.

Story
2013-03-15, 06:21 PM
Tha is just ones you get for free. How much does a 9th level spell cost? its at least 900 gp to scribe it into your spell book so this guy gets 80,000 gp worth of free spell mats for scribing them into his book... Pretty awesome.

Scribing only costs 12.5gp per page once you have a Blessed Book. And you only need one page if you dip Geometer.

You can also get spells for cheaper if you're allowed to use the Mastering A Foreign Spellbook rules (Complete Arcane IIRC).

gorfnab
2013-03-15, 09:20 PM
Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Knight of the Weave 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Incantatrix or Mage of the Arcane Order 4

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 03:06 PM
Knight of the weave?

I mostly am trying to be the most general generalist ever. I want to have an answer for everything all the time. I want him to have a crap load of spells so that he can have plenty of staying power as well.

(I'm a dude lol)

I had a new thought on him as well.

Wizard 5 War Weaver 5 wizard 10

2 Flaws

Flaw 1 Arcane Disciple Healing Domain
Flaw 2 Spontaneous Healer
1st Collegiate Wizard
3rd Fiery Burst
5th Enlarge Spell
6th Craft Wand
9th Minor Shapeshift
12th Touch of Healing

Domain Storm Wizard
Elven Generalist Sub levels 1 and 3
Lemming Familiar (+2 Spot and Listen)
Worships Glautra (RoDestiny)

What do you guys think? minor shapeshift is nifty because I can give myself 9 temp hp every turn as a swift action.......

Story
2013-03-19, 03:17 PM
One other thing I discovered: There's a Dragon feat called Arcane Shorthand which lets you scribe spells with half the cost and time.

Combined with Geometer, you can fit 2000 spells in a single book. That's a good fraction of all the Wizard spells ever printed, and more than you'll probably ever be able to get access to baring shenanigans.

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 03:28 PM
Hah no Dragon mag material but thank you. If Draghon mag was I would use Eidetic Caster I think. Though scribe scroll is nice since I can cast Cure spells.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-19, 03:39 PM
I would pick a 10 level PrC that has an epic progression, rather than continuing with core wizard after War Weaver.

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 03:43 PM
such as? I like the feats mostly the way they are but its not set completely in stone.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-19, 03:59 PM
Loremaster is one that you can qualify for quite easily given what you have.

You can use the Frog God's Fane magical location (Complete Scoundrel) to gain Skill Focus (history, nature or religion)... and you already have a metamagic feat and two creation feats.

If you find Lore seems less than useful as it is, you could try and have it changed into what Pathfinder does with Lore... granting a bonus on all knowledge checks equal to half your levels in classes that grant the ability.

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 04:07 PM
Don't much care for loremaster now actually. You cant only take each Secret ability more than once.

Story
2013-03-19, 04:48 PM
If you could, it'd be ridiculously OP. 5 free bonus feats?

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 05:21 PM
haha 5 extra slot feats is what I wanted it for :P

Barlen
2013-03-19, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, your an Elf and you have martial weapon proficiency for free....why not take Abjurant Champion sometime after level 10?

TuggyNE
2013-03-19, 08:38 PM
Lemming Familiar (+2 Spot and Listen)

So, this isn't really relevant, but why does a lemming familiar not give you -2 Will/Sense Motive? :smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2013-03-19, 11:48 PM
So, this isn't really relevant, but why does a lemming familiar not give you -2 Will/Sense Motive? :smalltongue:
Because that whole thing is a myth, and if you've got good Spot/Listen you're more likely to figure that out? :smalltongue:

gorfnab
2013-03-19, 11:50 PM
Knight of the weave?

I mostly am trying to be the most general generalist ever. I want to have an answer for everything all the time. I want him to have a crap load of spells so that he can have plenty of staying power as well.

Knght of the Weave (Champions of Valor) + Ultimate Magus = 18 more spells known of levels 1 to 6 with 18 slots to cast them in (not including bonus slots) and at full CL, + Detect Magic and Read Magic at will.

TuggyNE
2013-03-20, 12:48 AM
Because that whole thing is a myth, and if you've got good Spot/Listen you're more likely to figure that out? :smalltongue:

OK, OK, but then why on earth would DrMag, of all publications in which you could find D&D stuff, be the one to debunk that? It seems so ironic.

tricktroller
2013-03-20, 09:25 AM
Eh Knight of the weave is a cha caster and doesn't increase my spell progression. Archmage eating my spells to be abilities is not something I want to do. an SLA while cool gets rid of the utility portion of the name.

tricktroller
2013-03-22, 01:19 PM
any other thoughts?

Andion Isurand
2013-03-22, 03:21 PM
well, if you want to take Chain Spell, you might enjoy employing the 21 Wand Salute:

If you apply the Chain Spell metamagic feat to the following spell, you could simultaneously trigger up to a maximum of 21 wands (when your caster level hits 20). Your character could also get some material to bind all the wands together like a package of fireworks... leveled at your enemy.

You could also do this with Scepters as described in Lost Empires of Faerun.

////////////////////////////

Awaken from Afar
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Clr 6, Drd 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One spell trigger activation item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

An awaken from afar spell allows you to use a spell trigger item without actually touching the item. The item to be activated must be within the range of the awaken from afar spell, and it functions as though you yourself were triggering it from its current position. All other conditions, such as the requirement that you have the spell on your spell list or if the item's enchantment restricts its use to a particular race or individual, still apply. Both you and the item to be activated have to be on the same plane. The item cannot be in the possession of another creature at the time of activation, and it must be an item that you have previously triggered normally (in other words, without the aid of an awaken from afar spell.

////////////////////////////

This spell is found at the following URL: Wyrms of the North: Arveiaturace, "The White Wyrm" (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20011205a)