PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Legendary Sites: Fists of Fury

AmberVael
2013-03-15, 02:30 PM
A couple of new Legendary Sites, intended for people who want to dabble in a bit of unarmed fighting without spending precious feat slots.

Brawling Ring
This beaten circle of earth surrounded by a few wooden posts is not much to look at at, but when in use it is surrounded by onlookers and filled with the noise of a crowd. Bets, jeers and sometimes projectiles fly across the ring just as often as punches, as one brave enough to stand in the Brawler's Ring takes on challenger after challenger.
Lore: Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) can research Brawling Rings to learn more about them. When a character succeeds on a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.
DC 10: A brawling ring is something like a semi-formal arena where people sometimes gather and fight.
DC 15: Generally, weapons and armor are not permitted within fights in the brawling ring, though some fighters and audience members won't follow the loose and admittedly undefined rules of the ring.
DC 20: While they are often popular, such rings may not technically be legal in many places. Due to their overall dubious and nebulous nature, some rings can be found in less obvious areas, and other rings, though they may be in plain sight, may well be against the law.
DC 25: The deity Kord is said to take great pleasure in such rings. His clerics are often loosely associated with them in some way, and it is even whispered that avatars of the deity might show up as opponents to particularly fearsome challengers.
Description: There is very little required to make up a Brawling Ring beyond an empty circle and sufficiently skilled challengers and numerous eager spectators. So long as these conditions are filled, almost anywhere can be a Brawling Ring. The simplest are beaten down patches of dirt, while others may be indoors and have floors of leather and hide, and stands for spectators to watch from.
Prerequisite: A character need only experience success within the Brawler's Ring.
Location Activation: By winning five fierce fights in a row without outside assistance, or arms or armor, the character gains the benefit of this location.
Recharge: Any number of characters may benefit, though with each needing to win five legitimate fights, undoubtedly many will go home disappointed. And with bruises.
Special Ability: Winning in the Brawler's Ring gives one experience and insight into unarmed combat and the durability of his own body. The character gains one of the following as a bonus feat: Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Toughness. The character must meet any normal prerequisites to gain the feat.
Duration: Though any bruises gained will thankfully fade, the character's hard won experience, and thus the feat provided, is permanent.
Ability Value: 3,000 gp.

Master's Dojo
The world has seen many fighters in its days, but only a rare few understand true mastery of body and martial skill. Fewer still survive long enough to hone that understanding and then pass it along to others. Yet there are some of these martial masters who still roam the land, and others who settle down and build schools so that they might train others.
Lore: Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) or Martial Lore can research Master's Dojos to learn more about them. When a character succeeds on a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.
DC 15: A Master's Dojo is a place where more advanced unarmed fighting styles are taught.
DC 20: The masters of such dojos have usually fought hard to achieve their skills, and will often be very selective and demanding of their pupils, though the results are said to be worth it.
DC 25: Those who subject themselves to the harshest training can expect terrifying tests of balance, strength, and endurance.
Description: Each dojo is as unique as its founder, but they often contain elaborate contraptions to test agility and fighting skill, large open rooms in which to spar, and areas well suited to meditation or contemplation. Each one is designed specifically to convey the deadly arts that the master of the dojo has to teach.
Prerequisite: A character must possess the Improved Unarmed Strike feat in order to be able to benefit from the Master's Dojo.
Location Activation: Though generally such learning takes months of practice to acquire, a character may gain the benefits of this location more swiftly by subjecting themselves to difficult regimens. By spending at least a full week in grueling training with the resident master, a character can come to understand the basics of more advanced fighting skills and gain the benefits of a Master's Dojo.
Recharge: Only one person may benefit from the Master's Dojo at a time, but so long as the master of the dojo remains a capable teacher, any number of students may benefit.
Special Ability: The character gains either Earth Fist or Versatile Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. You need not meet the prerequisites of these feats to gain and benefit from them.
Duration: The feat granted by the Master's Dojo is permanent.
Ability Value: 6,000 gp.

Revelation of Water and Stone
Martial masters often seek out remote, natural locations to train and meditate- coming to rest at features of wonder that inspire them and give them insights into their paths of mastery. The Revelation of Water and Stone is among the greatest of such places, a place where river and mountain meet and clash, neither giving way to the other. In unyielding stone and unending water one may come to learn the value of perseverance and persistence and through rigor and contemplation come to express this understanding in their martial arts.
Lore: Characters with ranks in Knowledge (religion) or Martial Lore can research the Revelation of Water and Stone to learn more about it. When a character succeeds on a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.
DC 15: The Revelation of Water and Stone is a natural feature treasured by a sect of monks who meditate and train there.
DC 20: Promising students and renowned masters sometimes make pilgrimages to the Revelation of Water and Stone, and those who have undertaken lessons there are a notch above the common practitioner.
DC 25: Both the training and philosophy of the monks is tied to the Revelation of Water and Stone. They meditate in the flow of the waterfall to weather their bodies, strike the stone to strengthen their fists, and contemplate the eternal patterns of the river and mountain to achieve enlightenment.
DC 30: The river and mountain are each said to be the domain of a natural spirit, two entities of wisdom and power. Only the wisest and greatest masters in the monastery ever come to know them.
Description: A mighty river roars over the edge of a great mountain, battering against the worn rocks and forming a beautiful natural pool at their base. An ancient grove surrounds the pool and a worn dirt path that leads down to the monastery at the foot of the mountain, which carefully guards this route up to the Revelation.
Prerequisite: A character must train with the monks to gain the location's benefit.
Location Activation: The training of the monks is rigorous and harsh- those who can complete it swiftly generally already have a history of martial prowess behind them. A student will be required to endure the beating weight of the falling river and learn to strike rock without flinching. They will spar with trained martial artists, and meditate on the riddles and mysteries of the Revelation. A character must spend at least one full week to gain the benefit of this location, and should be subjected to numerous tests before completing their training.
Recharge: Any number of characters who successfully complete their training may benefit from this location.
Special Ability: The character gains either Superior Unarmed Strike or Improved Toughness as a bonus feat. The character must meet any normal prerequisites to gain the feat.
Duration: The feat granted by the Revelation of Water and Stone is permanent.
Ability Value: 6,000 gp.

Arkady Zelenka
2014-01-17, 05:13 AM
These are really good. I showed my GM the Master's Dojo and she loved it, two sessions later I was able to benefit from it.

Since you did such a bang up job on these two, I'm wondering if you have any more homebrew locations to share?

AmberVael
2014-01-27, 10:13 AM
Sorry for the slow response; I don't tend to monitor my old homebrew that closely.

I'm glad you got some use out of this! Doesn't seem to be my most popular homebrew, but I did like making it. I don't have any other legendary site ideas at the moment, but if there is a feat or idea you have in mind I'd be happy to give it a shot. These are not too difficult to make.

Ziegander
2014-01-27, 12:06 PM
Superior Unarmed Strike and/or Stunning Fist for Master's Dojo? These are very cool, I agree. You should make some more!

Arkady Zelenka
2014-01-27, 04:16 PM
I think you should give it another shot, these locations are awesome and like I said: you did a real good job on these two.

I have a few notes on some locations myself, I'll fish them out and post them, maybe you can help me out and we can revive this thread.

AmberVael
2014-01-30, 12:45 AM
Superior Unarmed Strike and/or Stunning Fist for Master's Dojo? These are very cool, I agree. You should make some more!

I thought both of those would definitely be obvious choices over Versatile Unarmed Strike so I was reluctant to add them to Master's Dojo, but I did think Superior Unarmed Strike at least would be an acceptable feat for a location. And since both of you wanted more, I made one that grants Superior Unarmed Strike or Improved Toughness. The Revelation of Water and Stone is loosely inspired by a place and philosophy that showed up in a game I was in once. (Made by Neon Knight, just for full credits).

Arkady Zelenka
2014-01-30, 05:33 AM
The Revelation of Water and Stone looks cool, I got the visual from the movie Best of the Best.
You have some pretty sweet ideas, keep them coming hopefully more people will comment on this and the thread will pick up.

I still didn't get a chance to go through my notes yet, but you're inspiring me to get cracking and make some of my own.

Arkady Zelenka
2014-03-02, 02:11 PM
I've been trying to put mechanics to the idea for a legendary site and its just not happening. The idea is based on Conan the Barbarian and the giant grain mill he has to push before he gets thrown in the pit.
I figured I'd toss it your way and see what you can come up with.

Corenthius
2019-01-31, 08:49 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I love them. Definitely going to use them.