PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Monk Weapon Ideas

Tetsubo 57
2013-03-15, 02:31 PM
I recently posted a topic dealing with the Monk class and whether it belongs in the core D&D or Pathfinder game. Part of that discussion revolved around the weapons that Monk's have training in. I listened to a number of the posters in that comment thread and came up with some ideas. Thank you all for participating.

The following is based on the core Pathfinder book.

I suggest the following changes to the Monk class's weapon proficiencies. These replace the current weapon proficiencies.

Monk's are proficient in all Simple weapons. With Simple melee weapons the Monk can use their Flurry of Blows class ability. In addition the Monk is proficient with a Martial Light melee weapon, a Martial One-handed melee weapon and a Martial Two-handed melee weapon. They may not use their Flurry of Blows class ability with these three Martial weapon proficiencies. If the Monk wishes to be proficient in a bow they must give up their proficiency in the Martial Two-handed melee weapon.

My reasoning here is that a Monk learns some general combat abilities, reflected in the Simple weapon category. Their particular school of martial training should also have some unique features, reflected in the selection of martial weapon proficiencies.

Some folks think that Monks should forgo weapons entirely. They should be pure ascetic practitioners of the Empty Hand. But that would put them behind the power curve compared to Monks that can use weapons. I propose the following idea.

A Monk that pursues the Empty Hand Path forgoes all training in weapons. If they are a member of a race that normally gets racial training in weapons they must forgo that training as well. If they ever gain a proficiency in a weapon they lose all abilities from the Empty Hand Path.

At 1st level a Monk picks one of the four energy types (fire, cold, electricity or acid). This energy type is an effect that the Monk can turn on or off each round as a free action. When active all of the Monk's attacks become energy attacks of that type and benefit from a +1 damage bonus. At 5th level the Monk picks a second energy type that they may use. An energy type can only be picked once and only one energy effect may be active at any one time. The 1st level energy type's damage bonus increases to +2, it increases to +3 at 9th level, +4 at 13th level and +5 at 17th level. All other energy type choices lag behind this progression by one step. At 9th level the Monk picks a third energy type and a fourth at 13th level. At 17th level the Monk can choose to have all attacks be considered a force effect though never more than a +1 damage bonus.
In addition at 5th level the Monk's attacks when an energy type is active, though not when using the Flurry of Blows class ability, gain a range increment of 10'. The range increment increases to 20' at 9th level, to 30' at 13th level and to 40' at 17th level. To clarify, only the Monk's base attacks gain this range increment when an energy type is active and it does not apply to the Flurry of Blows class ability.
Lastly, when an energy type is active the Monk gains energy resistance to that energy type equal to the damage bonus. At 17th level or higher when the force effect is active the Monk gains DR 1/- against all attacks. The Monk's body is literally infused with force itself.

My attempt here is to try and balance out a Monk without weapons against one that has weapon proficiencies.

Note: I do not personally use the acid energy type. I replace it with sonic damage. Because let's face it, acid is not an energy type. Neither is sound for that matter but it is a whole lot closer than acid. And cold is an absence of energy if you want to get pedantic.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.