PDA

View Full Version : no armed dolphins

pendell
2013-03-15, 02:32 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm disappointed this story turned out not to be true (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dolphins-armed-guns-knives-allegedly-escape-wild-005525870.html).

If this were still in the cold war days, True Blue American dolphins versus Commie ones would be a great cartoon show.

ETA: perfect. (http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/03/update-ukrainian-military-dolphins-not-actually-on-the-loose/273943/)

Uh oh - it seems the Ukrainian Navy has a small problem on their hands. After rebooting the Soviet Union's marine mammal program just last year with the goal of teaching dolphins to find underwater mines and kill enemy divers, three of the Ukrainian military's new recruits have gone AWOL. Apparently they swam away from their trainers this morning ostensibly in search of a "mate" out in open waters. It might not be such a big deal except that these dolphins have been trained to "attack enemy combat swimmers using special knives or pistols fixed to their heads." So if you are planning a family holiday to the Black Sea this week, I think it's best you avoid any "friendly" dolphins that might approach - especially if they have KNIVES or PISTOLS strapped to their heads.

Who would not want to watch the film adaptation of this story? It'd sort of be like abstract expressionist painting plus Free Willy plus Rambo. And it'd be told from the perspective of the dolphins with subtitles for their clicks. And filmed in 3D and at 48 frames a second. It would be directed by Werner Herzog. The first hour and twenty-eight minutes would be dolphins eating fish, the last two minutes would be them saving the world from terrorist combat swimmers.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

HairyGuy4
2013-03-15, 02:35 PM
I too am sad this was fake, but also amused by this line

the most important part about the dolphin training program (that is exists) appears to be completely legitimate and comports with similar programs employed by other governments around the world.

It makes me miss all the zany cold war antics that I missed out on by being too young.

Bastian Weaver
2013-03-15, 02:40 PM
I'll just let you guys know that there's an old Soviet cartoon about True Blue American dolphins encountering Commie ones.
Wish granted!

pendell
2013-03-15, 02:44 PM
Is there a link?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Bastian Weaver
2013-03-15, 02:48 PM
Indeed there is.

Behold, the Underwater Berets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKZTmXQK6-Y)!
In Russian, though. Don't know if it were ever translated.

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 02:54 PM
Of course dolphins don't have arms. Why is that news? :smallamused:

pendell
2013-03-15, 02:59 PM
Indeed there is.

Thanks! I'd never have found it myself, as to call my grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet "limited" would be a gross exaggeration.

Behold, the Underwater Berets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKZTmXQK6-Y)!
In Russian, though. Don't know if it were ever translated.

It's a cartoon. If it needs to be translated, it's not being done wrong.

A pity. It appears to have originally been 13 minutes but only 6 showed up up. So ... I see we have two main characters, a blue dolphin and a red dolphin with glasses. Looks like they were being inducted into the army. Didn't see who their opponents were, apart from the one shark. And of course volleyball with mines was pretty funny :).

Respecfully,

Brian P.

Bastian Weaver
2013-03-15, 03:04 PM
Yeah, the big blue (Tristan) and the little red (Henry) are volunteering to join the Underwater Berets school to become elite fighting cetaceans. There are two more main characters, Pavlova (a female Soviet dolphin, a femme fatale of sorts, who falls in love with Tristan when he's on a mission) and a human boy that they... kind of... adopted.
There were five cartoons, if I remember correctly.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-15, 04:37 PM
A pity. It appears to have originally been 13 minutes but only 6 showed up up.

YouTube sometimes declares the end of the video to be in an incorrect spot and stops loading. Reload it.

The Glyphstone
2013-03-16, 11:43 PM
Cmon, everyone knows it would be True Blue American Dolphins versus Commie Giant Squid.:smallbiggrin:

Bastian Weaver
2013-03-17, 03:41 AM
I'm not sure if there was a giant squid in the cartoon... there were some dinosaurs, though!

An Enemy Spy
2013-03-17, 06:24 PM
This whole thing is ridiculous. Dolphins don't have arms!