PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a Factotum

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 04:25 PM
So, I'm bored at work, but too busy to study. Anyone have fun ideas for antics, strategies, feats, or basically anything else for a Factotum? I'm playing one in an upcoming campaign and I'm curious if I'm overlooking any awesome. To be clear, the group I'm playing with is low-op, and I haven't played with them before, so I'm not looking for power, so much as I am cool.

The character is supposed to be a reincarnation of Leonardo Da Vinci (per the theme of the campaign, reincarnated historical figures in a fantasy world), so bonus if it fits the character flavor-wise.

Currently, I'm thinking Knowledge Devotion, with lots of Font of inspiration. I rolled well, 16 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 18 Int, 11 Wis, 12 Cha. So, no need for Weapon Finesse or anything (The plan is actually to wield a Greatsword). I'm not doing IJ focus, as I don't like the fit flavor-wise. I'm also taking some mechanically useless skills (certain craft skills, some knowledges not revevent to creature types, etc) for fluff reasons, so I don't have as much to play around with.

Anyway, bottom line: Any cool ideas?

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 04:33 PM
Due to Brains over Brawn, factotums make good trippers. A dip into Passive Way Monk for Improved Trip and Combat Expertise helps if you don't want to take the feats normally, and free Combat Expertise means you qualify for Cobalt Expertise which makes your tripping work even better (and your AC will be quite nice as well). Hit yourself with Expansion for even more sweet tripping action, then grab Knockdown to hit, trip, and hit again.

The Quick Draw + Gnomish Quickrazor + Iaijutsu Focus combo is one of the better ways of getting damage on a Factotum - the razor can be sheathed as a free action, so you draw your weapon for every attack. Flat-foot your opponents with Grease or marbles (if they don't have 5 ranks in balance, they're flat-footed while balancing) and slash away.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 05:09 PM
Due to Brains over Brawn, factotums make good trippers. A dip into Passive Way Monk for Improved Trip and Combat Expertise helps if you don't want to take the feats normally, and free Combat Expertise means you qualify for Cobalt Expertise which makes your tripping work even better (and your AC will be quite nice as well). Hit yourself with Expansion for even more sweet tripping action, then grab Knockdown to hit, trip, and hit again.

The Quick Draw + Gnomish Quickrazor + Iaijutsu Focus combo is one of the better ways of getting damage on a Factotum - the razor can be sheathed as a free action, so you draw your weapon for every attack. Flat-foot your opponents with Grease or marbles (if they don't have 5 ranks in balance, they're flat-footed while balancing) and slash away.

Yeah, I'm aware of the trip-build potential and the IJ focus voodoo. The former's just not much fun for me. The latter, as mentioned, jut doesn't feel very Da Vinci (and may feel kinda broken to this group). Again, I'm looking for fun and creative, not necessarily powerful. I already know a dozen ways to make a Factotum look broken.

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 05:18 PM
Considering that it's harder to get off than Sneak Attack and does less damage, I'm not sure what the problem with iaijutsu would be. Does your group consider rogues broken?

Slipperychicken
2013-03-15, 05:21 PM
The character is supposed to be a reincarnation of Leonardo Da Vinci (per the theme of the campaign, reincarnated historical figures in a fantasy world), so bonus if it fits the character flavor-wise.

Why not Artificer? You could choose to make all kinds of zany, sub-optimal gear for people. Especially Hang-gliders and Ornithopters (A&EG).

BowStreetRunner
2013-03-15, 05:30 PM
I don't know if you have any flexibility with race, but Illumian out of Races of Destiny would not only have Da Vinci flavor, but the Power Sigils give your skills a nice boost that goes nicely with a Factotum.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 05:37 PM
I'm new to this group. My old group would recognize that, but this group will have a vanilla fighter, barbarian, and bard, alongside a blaster-sorcerer and my factotum. Factotums are already do-everything and I play smart. If I end up out skill monkeying the bard (I will), out murdering the barbarian and fighter (possible) and have spells to boot, I'm worried it'll look like voodoo magic to everyone but the DM (who's been a PC in a couple of my campaigns).

But 'too powerful' isn't my main concern with IJ focus. Mostly, I'm just going for a different type of character with this guy (I usually play a roguish factotum with a splash of SS around level 9 or so....) and I think IJ is a flavor misfit, especially compared to knowledge devotion (admittedly an inferior source of damage).

Gnome Alone
2013-03-15, 05:38 PM
Just out of curiosity... a) what historical figures have the other players selected, and b) will it end up feeling like the last 15 minutes or so of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 05:42 PM
Mostly, I'm just going for a different type of character with this guy
You keep saying that, but what does it actually mean? Leonardo didn't actually do any fighting (unless you count the ninja turtle). He was a draftsman and inventor. Those are accomplished with skill ranks in Craft (Drawing) and Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering). Most of the stuff that passes for mechanisms in D&D is actually magic, and because you're not a spellcaster, you can't get at them. Frankly, given Leonardo's great medical knowledge, knowing how to spot an enemy's weak point and slash it up with great precision seems like an obvious move.

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 05:44 PM
Take craft wondrous item feat, go high in craft alchemy, craft blacksmithing, craft (something else)
Make all sorts of machines
Make several doses of marvelous pigments and use that to make beasts and the like

Callin
2013-03-15, 05:48 PM
Take craft wondrous item feat, go high in craft alchemy, craft blacksmithing, craft (something else)
Make several doses of marvelous pigments and use that to make beasts and the like

That right there. Be the painter. THROW eveyone for a loop.

DM "Ok guys roll initiative. Ok Bob what do you do?"
Bob "I start to paint"
Group "WHAT?"

Next round a giant boulder comes rolling along and squishes the goblin mob.

Bob *Grins*

Shining Wrath
2013-03-15, 05:58 PM
First of all, to really do da Vinci right you'd have to max out levels in Knowledge(all non-magical), Perform(Art), Profession(Architect), Profession(Artist), Profession(Engineer), Craft(gadget), more ... He was the quintessential Renaissance man.

And therein lies a way to not OP the party. For pure flavor, you really should sink some of your skill points into some sub-optimal stuff like Profession.

The greatsword puzzles me; I would think of da Vinci as more subtle than brute force in fighting style. Glaive as primary, heavy flail for backup?

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 06:04 PM
You keep saying that, but what does it actually mean? Leonardo didn't actually do any fighting (unless you count the ninja turtle). He was a draftsman and inventor. Those are accomplished with skill ranks in Craft (Drawing) and Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering). Most of the stuff that passes for mechanisms in D&D is actually magic, and because you're not a spellcaster, you can't get at them. Frankly, given Leonardo's great medical knowledge, knowing how to spot an enemy's weak point and slash it up with great precision seems like an obvious move.

I mean that IJ focus has kind of a samurai feel to it. I can refluff that, as I have in the past. But I can't picture a way to refluff it that fits the vague picture I have of this reincarnated artist in my head. I picture him as being a really physical guy (David is believed to be a self-portrait), relying on Str and Int.
Anyway, I agree with your point that using detailed anatomical knowledge to take apart an enemy feels Da Vinci. That's what Knowledge Devotion is about. IJ Focus (unless reflux fed) is about channeling ki or somesuch (afb and don't remember how it's phrased).

In response to the other question: Reincarnated Lincoln as a Bard, Moses as a sorcerer (the guy didn't want to play a cleric), unnamed Viking from Battle of Stamford bridge as a Barbarian, and that's all I remember offhand.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 06:08 PM

I actually have picked out Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments as one of my items and I've invested in a bunch of Craft and Knowledge skills. I hadn't thought of CWI, though. Good idea.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 06:09 PM
Check out the Inspired Inventor homebrew in my sig. It seems like exactly what you're looking for, though the 10th-level ability isn't finished yet.

yugi24862
2013-03-15, 06:17 PM
Another idea is to go with archery and poisons, which are cheap when self-crafted and have wide range of balance standpoints (need something dead? 2d6 Con damage. Want to more debuff it for the party? 1d6 str damage), plus you can use IP to boost poison damage by RAW. Archery both keeps you away from the fight, fitting of a renaissance man, and it relatively hard to overdo.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 06:20 PM
Any ideas for creative use of inappropriately low-level spells or skill tricks uniquely suited to the character?

Also: HOLY CRAP, I'm totally gonna craft a Golem!!!

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 06:41 PM
Vitty the well proportioned golem?
Ideally bronze or brass

Big Fau
2013-03-15, 06:46 PM
Considering that it's harder to get off than Sneak Attack and does less damage, I'm not sure what the problem with iaijutsu would be. Does your group consider rogues broken?

People get all panicky when someone deals 9d6 in the first round of an encounter and isn't a Rogue. It's something of a sacred cow.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 07:08 PM
Vitty the well proportioned golem?
Ideally bronze or brass

Well, that's what's great about Da Vinci, his golem crafting could scale. He was a pretty ghoulish dude, so flesh golem works, he was a brilliant sculptor of marble, so stone golem is on the table, and he made a bunch of super-famous stuff in brass and bronze, so the metallic golems make sense, too.

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 07:08 PM
People get all panicky when someone deals 9d6 in the first round of an encounter and isn't a Rogue. It's something of a sacred cow.
The DC to get +9d6 is what, 45? That's reasonably tricky to reliably achieve even at level 20.

Well, that's what's great about Da Vinci, his golem crafting could scale. He was a pretty ghoulish dude, so flesh golem works, he was a brilliant sculptor of marble, so stone golem is on the table, and he made a bunch of super-famous stuff in brass and bronze, so the metallic golems make sense, too.
Factotums can't craft golems - they are not spellcasters, so they can't even use the Manuals to do it without UMD.

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 07:11 PM

And according some stuff I've heard he was big on marzipan models. So there's that too.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 07:23 PM
The DC to get +9d6 is what, 45? That's reasonably tricky to reliably achieve even at level 20.

Factotums can't craft golems - they are not spellcasters, so they can't even use the Manuals to do it without UMD.

Yes they can. All that's required is a caster level for the feats (which factotums get) and some UMD for any scrolls one might need.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 07:23 PM

Even more reason to check out the Inspired Inventor! :smalltongue:

And according some stuff I've heard he was big on marzipan models. So there's that too.

Isn't there a candy golem, or maybe a cookie golem somewhere?

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 07:27 PM
Even more reason to check out the Inspired Inventor! :smalltongue:
?

I'm avoiding homebrew for this campaign.

Flickerdart
2013-03-15, 07:39 PM
Yes they can. All that's required is a caster level for the feats (which factotums get) and some UMD for any scrolls one might need.
I did just say that they had to use UMD. But being a Factotum doesn't actually help you with that at all, other than getting UMD in-class (which is trivial).

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 07:44 PM
Factotum does help with UMD 1/day

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 07:45 PM
I'm avoiding homebrew for this campaign.

Ah, well, it doesn't hurt to try.

For non-homebrew, consider being a gnome. Yeah, gnome quickblades are nice, but even better is Trivial Knowledge: always roll Knowledges twice and take the higher result. This is very similar to a +5 bonus.

Or take a two-level dip in Chameleon for a floating bonus feat. Use that to craft (since SLAs count for crafting), and switch it to something useful in combat when you're adventuring.

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 07:47 PM
I did just say that they had to use UMD. But being a Factotum doesn't actually help you with that at all, other than getting UMD in-class (which is trivial).

Well, that and being able to add your class level to the check, so that you don't need to max the skill, and being able to do the same with the crafting skills you'll need, and having all those as class skills, and having skill points to spare. But anyway, I thought you were saying the class couldn't make golems. My bad.

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 07:49 PM
Chamaleon dip would be the way to go. Skill focus changing every day...

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 08:03 PM
I'll definitely consider it after level 8 (cunning surge).

Gildedragon
2013-03-15, 08:58 PM
I'd actually aim for the free feat before cunning surge. It's more useful in general.

It so helps you out more out of combat and feels more dynamic. Also having access to item creation earlier is a real boon for the party. Getting item creation via floating feat is a great way to have it when needed.

Asmodai
2013-03-15, 09:23 PM
And here I was thinking this was about Planescape :(

JackRackham
2013-03-15, 10:43 PM
I'd actually aim for the free feat before cunning surge. It's more useful in general.

It so helps you out more out of combat and feels more dynamic. Also having access to item creation earlier is a real boon for the party. Getting item creation via floating feat is a great way to have it when needed.

Cunning surge is one of the best abilities in the game. It's what really makes the factotum tick in combat. So, no, I sprint to that and decide where I want to take it from there.

Rubik
2013-03-15, 11:40 PM
Hmm. With DaVinci, I'd probably go shaper psion, and use all those metacreativity powers to instantaneously create animated sculptures and mechanical contraptions. Make those skill ranks work for you!

However, chameleon and factotum definitely work, considering. I just can't quite see him getting into melee, or even using a bow. He should be using intermediaries to fight for him. Constructs he...erm...constructed.

Maybe a warforged? He's actually inside, and it's a power suit.

JackRackham
2013-03-16, 01:08 AM
Hmm. With DaVinci, I'd probably go shaper psion, and use all those metacreativity powers to instantaneously create animated sculptures and mechanical contraptions. Make those skill ranks work for you!

However, chameleon and factotum definitely work, considering. I just can't quite see him getting into melee, or even using a bow. He should be using intermediaries to fight for him. Constructs he...erm...constructed.

Maybe a warforged? He's actually inside, and it's a power suit.

Hmmm, I was going to correct you. I seemed to remember Leonardo being jacked in his youth. But, I was conflating him with Michelangelo (who worked with stone a lot). Anyway, this character is a bigger, stronger guy, if for no other reason than that I want to take it in an interesting direction. Anyway, it won't be the strangest take on a historical figure in this game. Abraham Lincoln is a bard.

And, yeah, I'm definitely making golems. I think my character's main motivation may be to craft the perfect golem.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 10:17 AM
Anyway, it won't be the strangest take on a historical figure in this game. Abraham Lincoln is a bard.

Oh, no. If anyone can Inspire Courage, it would be Honest Abe. I mean, seriously, I'm not patriotic by anyone's standard, but I still get tears in my eyes when I read this:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

And he gave this while he had smallpox!