PDA

View Full Version : Way to find a creature, with mind blank and never seen it before?

ShadowFireLance
2013-03-15, 10:47 PM
Title applies, we've got pretty much anything but a long amount of time (hour or two?) to find a large, sea dwelling creature, Mind helping us Fourms?

Kazyan
2013-03-15, 10:57 PM
Metafaculty?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-03-16, 05:38 AM
It's debateable but vision may work. Hypercognition definitely will.

Darrin
2013-03-16, 06:24 AM
Helping hand. It's an evocation, not divination.

Emperor Tippy
2013-03-16, 07:12 AM
It's debateable but vision may work. Hypercognition definitely will.

Hypercognition will work but it won't actually give the location. Metafaculaty would however.

Although the easiest way is to just Wish something next to the target. "I wish that the party was in the closest empty square to X." is a perfectly legal Wish that needs no DM adjudication.

If you don't want to fight then you just hit someone with Mind Blank, Superior Invisibility, and Ghost Form before Wishing them to the location before using Know Direction and Location (or any other spell or power that will give you your current location) and then teleporting away.

ShadowFireLance
2013-03-16, 01:55 PM
Hypercognition will work but it won't actually give the location. Metafaculaty would however.

Although the easiest way is to just Wish something next to the target. "I wish that the party was in the closest empty square to X." is a perfectly legal Wish that needs no DM adjudication.

If you don't want to fight then you just hit someone with Mind Blank, Superior Invisibility, and Ghost Form before Wishing them to the location before using Know Direction and Location (or any other spell or power that will give you your current location) and then teleporting away.

The only problem with that is, that It's probobally a lot stronger then us, so summoning/gating/Etc would most likely be the death of us.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-16, 01:59 PM
1. Plane Shift to any plane it's neither native to nor currently on.
2. Cast Gate to call it, the creature is now immediately in front of you and must obey you for twice your caster level in rounds.
2a. Gate only fails if it's a unique being, which doesn't apply if at least one other creature with the same base race/templates could possibly exist somewhere.
3. Order it to lay down helpless for the duration that it's under your command, and everyone CDGs it every round until it dies.

nedz
2013-03-16, 02:08 PM
I was under the impression that it was a unique creature.

If you want a cheesy solution, cast Mirror Move and destroy the ocean.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-03-17, 12:57 PM
1. Plane Shift to any plane it's neither native to nor currently on.
2. Cast Gate to call it, the creature is now immediately in front of you and must obey you for twice your caster level in rounds.
2a. Gate only fails if it's a unique being, which doesn't apply if at least one other creature with the same base race/templates could possibly exist somewhere.
3. Order it to lay down helpless for the duration that it's under your command, and everyone CDGs it every round until it dies.

Note that this requires the DM to agree with certain interpretations of the woefully ill-defined gate spell's rules. I seriously wouldn't count on this working.

@tippy: if you mind blank the scout then how are you going to find -him- by casting know direction and location?

karkus
2013-03-17, 01:14 PM
When in doubt, just slap on a magic item!

Here are your options:

1. Give them a magic item that will be counted as a "bonus" treasure
2. Take the treasure that will be earned from that encounter and subtract the cost of the new Mind Blank-ing magic item, and give them that (instead of getting 1,800 gps, give them a Hat of Disguise, for example)
3. Give them the magic item, but have it be such an exotic and cumbersome item that not only can they not wear it (goggles that can only fit on Beholder eyes, for example), but is simply not worth hauling back to the nearest town.

t'zran
2013-03-17, 01:18 PM
I thought there was some kind of detect life low level core spell in the PHb? or does that only tell if there is life, not where it is...

worth a try though...

NM020110
2013-03-17, 06:11 PM
Several ways that I can think of.

1.) Manual search. If there are a finite number of seas, and they are all of finite size, you should be able to search them but just moving through and making spot checks. Some cheese might be needed to cover an appreciably large amount of water.

2.) Magic. If you just need to find it, say to inform an ally of its location, you can use wish (mitigate the cost however you please) to bring it to a location of your choice. You wouldn't need to be on its plane or the plane of your location of choice in this case. Sure, it will get a will save and spell resistance, but it's worth a shot.

Personally I would bring it to a dead magic zone bounded by walls of force in Carceri, but that's just me.

3.) Magic again. Scry on it using a method that bypasses mind blank. A few were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Psyren
2013-03-17, 06:46 PM
Legend Lore/Vision will work provided it has 11+ HD.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-03-17, 06:56 PM
Contact Other Plane spell.

nedz
2013-03-17, 07:42 PM
Can you not just set some bait ?