PDA

View Full Version : 3e material in 3.5

Morphie
2013-03-15, 11:44 PM
Hello guys, I've been discussing with my group about what content from 3e could be used in 3.5. I know the general rule is "if it doesn't have an errata or if the subject is not adressed in 3.5 material, it could be allowed", but If you could point me to some official statement from Wizards about this, it would be awesome.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-15, 11:51 PM
3.5 PHB, page 4 sidebar:

This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

Telonius
2013-03-16, 12:02 AM
This page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) on the Wizards site will be helpful.

Curmudgeon
2013-03-16, 12:40 AM
There's a list of official replacements (for Feats, Prestige Classes, and Spells) here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x). Some of the replacements don't have the same names, so you won't know that something from 3.0 is no longer allowed without checking the list.

Morphie
2013-03-16, 03:35 AM
This discussion started when I asked if the Arms & Equipment Guide was valid, since there seems to be no update to the book.
They say they would like to keep the game on 3.5 terms, and so I need some solid statement from Wizards to "defend my case" :p
Maybe the part on Phb will be useful, thanks ksbsnowowl and thank you all for your help :smallsmile:

Khedrac
2013-03-16, 03:44 AM
Unfortunately Arms and Equipment Guide is one of the least compatible books! This is because the way weapons sizes work changed completely from 3E to 3.5E. Anything from it is best handled on a case-by-case basis, but avoid the fullblade - a lot of people like it but 3.5 simply does not work that way.

Morphie
2013-03-16, 03:55 AM
Unfortunately Arms and Equipment Guide is one of the least compatible books! This is because the way weapons sizes work changed completely from 3E to 3.5E. Anything from it is best handled on a case-by-case basis, but avoid the fullblade - a lot of people like it but 3.5 simply does not work that way.

Yes, we usually take it case by case, but this book covers the subject of adding armor enhancements to the Bracers of Armor, something I'm really interested in.
Also there's an armor I would like to give my high dex animal companion purely for flavor reasons (Bondleaf Wrap), I could choose Twist Cloth, Gnome from Races of Stone or even Nightscale armor from Underdark, but I think this has a more "druidsy" feel to it.
But I'm preparing my defense, so we'll see...

Daftendirekt
2013-03-16, 05:19 AM
Also there's an armor I would like to give my high dex animal companion purely for flavor reasons (Bondleaf Wrap), I could choose Twist Cloth, Gnome from Races of Stone or even Nightscale armor from Underdark, but I think this has a more "druidsy" feel to it.

Refluffing armor is not difficult to do, you know...

Morphie
2013-03-16, 05:29 AM
Refluffing armor is not difficult to do, you know...

Oh please, do tell...

Ubercaledor
2013-03-16, 05:54 AM
By "refluffing" he simply means, take the mechanics from the function you want and the description from the one you like the sound of and mix together.

ArcturusV
2013-03-16, 06:11 AM
Well, except 3rd Edition DnD, and 3.5 is mostly about Fluff turning into Mechanics. So "Refluffing" is a suboptimal option, compared to other systems where mechanics are open ended and the Fluff doesn't really matter so much.

Least as I see it. Classes, Items, etc. It's all about the Fluff being turned into Mechanics. Which then feeds back to say that Fluff must fall into Mechanics when people try to extrapolate out.

Curmudgeon
2013-03-16, 12:53 PM
Yes, we usually take it case by case, but this book covers the subject of adding armor enhancements to the Bracers of Armor, something I'm really interested in.
I'm not sure you actually need that if you've got Magic Item Compendium.

The rules where you can apply armor bonuses identically to bracers (Arms slot) and robe (Body slot) items the same way are in Magic Item Compendium on pages 233-234. Basically they just formalized how Bracers of Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bracersofArmor) and Robe of the Archmagi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeoftheArchmagi) are both wondrous items with armor bonuses.

Note that you don't have to stop at just armor bonuses. Once you've got at least +1 magical armor property you can add non-numerical armor enhancements to your bracers or robe as well (up to a total +13 cost pre-Epic). The specific rules for that, as you noted, are in Arms and Equipment Guide on page 130. However, after the Magic Item Compendium rules generalization that applies to all such Arms and Body slot items. An actual +1 armor bonus, and a +1 cost armor enhancement, are all the same as far as computing the enhancement cost.

hamishspence
2013-03-16, 01:07 PM

I'd have gone with:

"It's a Large bastard sword with the following trait: Can be used by Medium-sized creatures as a two-handed Exotic weapon"