PDA

View Full Version : The Dancer's Circlet [IC/ OOC]

lostsole31
2013-03-16, 01:55 AM
Here we go, SwamiMonsoon!

No need to make two separate threads (IC & OOC). We'll just put OOC in spoilers.

Because the end goal is to one day reunite the Dancer's Circlet with the Sea Wyvern (and the Blue Nixie), there are several colors already taken. The following choices cannot be made:
DeepSkyBlue
Navy
Dark Red
Olive
DarkOrange
DarkGreen
Red - Male NPCs
Magenta - Female NPCs

Black is text, not voice.

After this post, all OOC will be spoilered.

Ready, go! :roach:

Character issues .... note that I have made adjustments to your sheet, except when I have questions.

1) The absolute youngest you can possibly be as a tiefling (at 1st level at that) with considerable training (be it "intuitive" in fluff or not) is 68 years old Considering PCs that come in at higher levels spent more time on their rise "off camera" than those who start at first and are "in play", we'll set your age to 89.

2) Though you don't have a specific "patron" god, what is your belief system (aka portfolio) that divines the source of your powers as an oracle? I'm assuming winter gods, of course ...

3) I know it sounds silly given that both of your classes are the same level, but which - for the sake of argument - is your "favored class". I arbitrarily noted it under oracle.

4) I see that Dwarven and Gnomish are your Bonus Languages. What about your "Automatic" Language - Abyssal or Infernal? Thinking about your a div's immunity to fire, I liken this more to Infernal, and shall assign it as such.

5) [S]Since you don't get natural armor as a Dragon Shaman (DS) until 7th level - and only 1st level at that - where does +2 natural armor come from? There is scaled skin Alternate Racial Trait (ART) that would give you +1 NA, but only one of of the energy resistances. Where does the other +1 come from, and what is going on here? I adjusted to +1 NA. Regardless, you still have a kickin' AC for a 5th-level character.
* Never mind, I just saw the "Armor of the Pit" feat. I do allow natural armor bonuses to stack in some instances ... and the feat and your SDS bonus do stack.

6) I updated your Bluff/ Stealth bonus under "Misc Mod" column.

7) When choosing hit points for favored class, you gain 2 hp/ level, not 1 hp/ level. (House rules in my game.) Therefore (and I checked the math), you have 75 hit points.

8) You have 3 ranks in Survival, which is fine and makes sense for you, but it is not a class skill, so you don't get that +3.

9) The same with Stealth. You have great Stealth overall, but that is a product of having a great DEX, race bonuses, and max skill ranks.

10) Your cloak of charisma +2, in adjusting your CHA to 22, actually does give you an additional bonus spell/ day for 2nd level. Also, you're DCs went up by 1.

11) I got rid of all the skills that you a) have no skill ranks in, and b) are not class skills. As you use untrained skills when needed (like Swim), we'll enter them. Otherwise, it's a lot of clutter.

12) I'll have to look into why you know significantly than proper for your oracle level. The proper amount is in parentheses to the right of what you entered.
* Since they are "bonus" spells known, I put a "+x" next to the the parenthetical spells known, and next to the spell I noted it as a bonus and from what source.
* Added cure moderate wounds to your 2nd-level oracle spells.

13) After having made all of the adjustments, you know "6+2" orisons (which was counted correctly). 2nd-level spells are 2+3, and are also correct.
* By my count, you should have 4+2 1st-level spells. The bonus spells are endure elements and cure light wounds, but you only 3 non-bonus spells listed. Please choose another 1st-level spell known.

14) Having a prehensile tail in no way mitigates the oracle's haunted curse. That's why it's a curse. However, comedy just might ensue. Perhaps it's the tail that knocks things about, always getting in your way.

15) Cold Aura has a 10' radius, not 5'.

16) You can use Winter's Touch 9/ day, vice 7/ day.

17) I put the various permanent immunities, saving throw bonuses, and energy resistances in the "Additional Information" block. This does not include your magic cloak, which still goes in the calculation block for saves.

18) Concentration is not a skill, but has been listed under skills just for ease of reference.

19) You cannot have the Quicken Breath feat. That would require you to have a 19 CON, whereas you only have a 16. The only metabreath feats available to you given your CON would be Clinging, Enlarge, Heighten, and Shape. Choose another feat for 5th level.

Well, I think that about does it.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-16, 05:17 PM
1) Hmm... to readjust the backstory for an age of 89... Maybe I've spent 60 mostly uneventful years as a sailor and then suddenly I'm being hunted again, thus the need to head for the colonies. If the Greenstones were actually half-Elven they would have long enough memories to keep the grudge going. Perhaps a new heir (Martin's son?) rose to prominence in the family and wanted to resume the chase...

2) The character derives his powers from elemental forces (I'm re-fluffing Dragon Shaman), so his "portfolio" would be elemental. In practice I believe in the existence of a Higher Power(s) but am skeptical of organized religion. Most churches have no place for people like me, and most of those that do are too evil for my tastes.

3) Oracle would be the favored class, although I don't plan to multiclass on either side of the gestalt.

4) Infernal works. I would know it instinctively, even though with my background there was nobody to teach it to me?

13) Added Air Bubble spell at 1st level

14) I picked the tail for flavor and because it might have some minor use, whereas a Sorcerer class bonus has zero use.

I will use purple for speech.

lostsole31
2013-03-16, 05:25 PM
1) Blood vengeance .... it was a big thing in Greece back in the days pre-Athens, and is still something to deal with in modern day in certain countries, or at least certain clans/ families.

2) Refluff is fine, and oracle covers the latter.

3) Aye.

4) Actually, I've done this before .... a character is surprised to know a speech, or a writing blurs and is visible to him.

13) Air bubble is great, and may help explain how you spent several minutes undetected by the pirates that sank your ship.

14) Yup, understand that.

Purple it is ....

And you 5th-level feat would be ....?

I did a random roll. Out of the two cases of bolts you had, only 6 bolts remain after the battle. There was a prolonged ship-to-ship battle before you were boarded.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-16, 05:38 PM
I went with Improved Initiative.

lostsole31
2013-03-16, 05:48 PM
Nice. +8. In addition, when you have Perception aura running, that's +10.

BTW, I assume that Perception is standard running when not focused in battle or interactions? The bonus to spotting danger and getting initiative makes it prime.

I updated your sheet. Also, you will see many more cosmetic changes to clean up the oracle and .... winter shaman? ... under the spells section.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-16, 05:52 PM
Yes, Perception Aura is the default.
Will initiative be rolled once per fight or at each round?

lostsole31
2013-03-16, 06:05 PM
Initiative is rolled for the battle, by me, and unseen until the battle unfolds.

Except in specific circumstances (e.g., Combat Reflexes iirc), you can't even make FAs (free actions) in a battle until you've had your first initiative .... which shouldn't be a problem for you with your +10 (avg. 20 on initiative result). That means no vocals, no 'threatening' .... nothing.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-16, 08:04 PM
I should be ready to go now.

lostsole31
2013-03-17, 02:53 AM
Tom, you were an ABS on a well-manned caravel, The Lost Merchant (as unfortunate a title as that might have been), fulfilling a variety of functions. In battle or under duress, you functioned as the ship's windsinger, but otherwise you were in an overall watch rotation that had you filling a variety of non-officer jobs. (Except for helmsman. Though you have some ability with directionality, you have no voyage planning ability ... i.e., no K: Geography.)

Bearing a decent load of exotic goods from the eastern lands (spices, silks, fragrants), your ship was attacked by two pirate ships: The Vicious Murderer, and The Fearful Howl. True pirates even moreso than the Scarlet Brotherhood, they had nothing but murder and plunder on their mind. There was a prolonged ship-to-ship battle with ballistae, catapults, and plenty of crossbow fire.

Finally the The Lost Merchant was boarded from both sides. You fought valiantly, but these pirates were veteran cutters with superior combat equipment and better shipfighting tactics. Despite not wanting to leave the good men of your ship to a dismal fate, and there were very few left, you could do nothing for them. You made a fighting retreat to the poop deck, and consciously stepped in the path of several crossbow bolts before screaming horribly and falling into the water. You cast air bubble several times to make sure that the pirate ships had done their work of holing and firing The Lost Merchant and started leaving before swimming stealthily to some wreckage and line that you could lash together in time to make a makeshift raft. While underwater, you breathing was not an issue but your lack of swimming made you cling desperately to the flotsam.

It is a terrible fate out here. You have only smaller pieces tied to a much larger piece of the ship. Luckily, your powers of winter also include condensing surrounding a vast amount of water from the sea or air. Also, the dehydrating sea air and heat from sun exposure is likewise minimized through your endure elements. You can only create as much water as you have room in your belt pouch, but water isn't the issue ... food is.

You have a spear, and a crossbow fired (underwater, not from air to water) might be helpful, but you can only do so from the safety of your safety board. Worse, you don't have much solid footing to go zipping about to catch moving fish. For all of that, you still have amazing balance so that the first day out you are able to catch a fish with your crossbow. But no means of cooking it. You have to cast purify food & water on it just in case it is diseased, but you eat it raw. You know that as unappetizing as this is, you have no idea when you'll eat again so just because you haven't starved yet, there's no reason to press your luck. You are very, very careful with your shots when you see a school pass by, ducking your head and crossbow quickly underwater to fire.

It is another five days before you get to nab another small fish with your crossbow. At this point, you have only one bolt left. All sailors know what that one bolt means. If it looks like you are marooned or adrift at sea and have no hope and start to go mad .... well, you can guess. Mercy comes with a click and fletching.

Three days later, as you are in growing discomfort from hunger and during the night, you see something lit shoot up into the air and towards your direction, missing by only a hundred yards or so. You recognize that it was some type of light-touched bolt. When it was fired - and you managed to see - it was fired from a larger ship. With a just shy of a waning full moon, you then begin to make out the vague shape of a ship.

A light is lit in the lanterns at the bowsprit. You see the figurehead is that of a woman with one of her legs kicked backward; meanwhile, she arches her back and touches the foot with her hands. The ship seems to have some trouble changing course and fully stopping as it partially moves by. Meanwhile, a voice shouts, "Ahoy, rafter! A fine night to be going out for a boat-ride in the full moon, no?"

The boat, with some trouble and showing that this captain (and/ or his crew) is rather inept as the caravel only finally stops its general movement about 100 feet from you.

The same voice follows up, "As one captain to another, I extend my hospitality for you to join us for a late night dinner, my friend. No, no, it's okay. Please don't reciprocate the offer. I humbly assure you, though I mean no offense, I daresay that my mess decks may well be in better condition than your own."

You see that the voice that calls out does not peer far above the gunwale. An obvious man stands next to him, but with the lighting it is hard to make out details.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-17, 12:15 PM
At first Tom is unconvinced that the ship is not some sort of fever dream. He is weak and lightheaded with hunger and fatigue... and the old hands always said that you start seeing things right before the end... but as it draws closer, there is no denying that it is the real thing. Was it more pirates? At this point that didn't really matter. There was nowhere to go. If they were pirates, at least it would be over quickly...

Tom clears his swollen throat and calls out in a croaking voice. "Sir, I will gladly take you up on your offer."
He grabs the plank that he has been using as an oar and paddles towards the ship...

A few questions:
What was the Lost Merchant's home port?
At what location (or near what landmarks) was she sunk?
Would I know the names of the pirate ships?

Will you be rolling for perception, etc.?

lostsole31
2013-03-18, 02:58 AM
As you get closer, the stouter - obviously dwarven head now that you are closer - peers very intently at you.

Some type of islander/native man throws down knotted rope to help you climb, and with that you practically spring aboard.

"Welcome aboard the Dancer's Circlet, lately under new management. I am the Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth. Though as of the last three weeks or so, I guess I am simply Captain Cohen. Before that, I captained a dugout while my unflappable first mate here - Mr. Shouting Tree - was master until the Scarlet Brotherhood were so kind to gift us with this magnificent caravel. Truly charitable of an otherwise nefarious organization, don't you think, Mr ....?"
Captain Cohen
At the most basic, Captain Cohen is a dwarf. However, he has the beautiful wings of an albatross - the reasoning of which are beyond you. Then again, look at yourself and judge others. These wings are dark on the top, but white on the bottom and trimmed with dark.

He stands 4'7" tall ... taller than hill dwarfs by a good margin, though he seems to only step at about a gold-and-a-half. Very likely, while he has the bulk of a dwarf, if he is like a bird his bones are a little more hollow to allow for flight. He has steely blue eyes, and his hair is covered by a black bandana. No hair extends past the bandana, though he has grayish-blue eyebrows and despite what you'd expect from dwarves, only a season's of a man's growth of hair on his chin of the same color as his eyebrows.

A humble hide shirt is all he wears on his torso. His trousers are incongruous, as are his footwear. He wears black pants of a type one might find on a man in a large city, and shoes that would likewise be found on a man of means. At the same time, there is a humility in both of them that says "of means, humbly carried." He wears a holy symbol of Moradin about his neck, as well as a strand of thick beads as some priests might wear for meditation. However, the symbol of Moradin is sub-imposed on a background while on the foreground there is a strange arrangement of triangles with which you are unfamiliar. There is a flask of a red-yellow liquid at his belt.

At his side is a warhammer with obvious symbols of Moradin and this sect, as well as definite runes of the smashing of lawlessness. Extremely well-blended into the runes is what is likely the name of the warhammer in a Dwarven dialect: Gili-Nachum, which translates as "My Joy & Comforter" in the Common Tongue. He carries a light crossbow and two cases of bolts. He likes quite strong, but not phenomenally so, though his fists appear to have enough gnarl on them to cause some injuries on the unwary. At his belt is a dagger in a hilt.
Shouting Tree, First Mate
Shouting Tree is a shock at first. He seems to be an obvious jungle native but with the telltale signs that his entire strain of humanity is overdeveloped physically and underdeveloped mentally. Thick eyebrows and eye ridges, wide cheeks, underslung jaw. He wears strange piercings through his nose, eye ridges, lips, etc. He is 6' and weighs in at 206 pounds of powerful muscle and lean sinew. He has dark brown eyes and long black hair wrapped up in an odd manner you've seen when trading with natives before.
Think of the movie APOCALYPTO, Aztec natives ... the wild ones, not the crazy 'civilized' ones.
He wears leather armor of eel hide with all manner of interesting pieces of traded metals that probably make this the level of studded leather.

You get the feeling that despite the warhammer, that is more religious and he is no type of combatant. Not this guy. He's obviously one to take a beating. He is outfitted for war. He carries a spear of a strange type - though its overall form is straight, it takes warps and knots to get there. The connection point between point and wood is covered in little fetishes and furs. A symbol on the spear notes that it is dedicated to The Shalm, a god of nature and worshipped by savages and druids.

At his side is some type of skeletal animal skull fitted to a haft, a handaxe of fine quality with strange markings, and he also carries a composite longbow and a quiver-and-a-half of arrows. You're not sure of the longbow's capacity, but it is definitely more than a normal man could fire. At his crude belt are a few crude pottery items that might be potions or something. You're pretty sure from his bearing that he is no kind of spellcaster, probably not even a shaman of any kind.
As might be expected of the night watch, only two crew are on deck - these two officers. What is uncommon is to have the captain and first mate awake and on watch at the same time. The captain was probably officer of the deck, and Shouting Tree likely was lookout and came down to help the captain with you should there be any trouble. This poor management of officers on watch like this is also testimony to the bizarre, winged dwarf's terrible command abilities.

lostsole31
2013-03-18, 04:05 AM
OOC

A few questions:
What was the Lost Merchant's home port?
At what location (or near what landmarks) was she sunk?
Would I know the names of the pirate ships?

Will you be rolling for perception, etc.?

Lost Merchant's home port was out of Greyhawk, well to the north, but it made long, varying stops.

You have no idea. You just know that you are off the coast of the Amedio Peninsula (and its jungle interior). You are just a sailor. Navigation is a special skill usually reserved for officers and often kept secret as a means to deter mutinies.

Well, I told you the name of the pirate ships that sank the Merchant. Otherwise, no. You have skill in identifying types of ships, but no ability to know their names unless you are told or you are lookout with the spyglass and see the name on their stern. You have a very poor ability to possibly know the name of a ship if it has any notoriety or fame base on clues from the figurehead. Of course, being a superstitious lot there are plenty of stories about infamous ships, and anything dread-looking about a ship in the distance might chill the bones of those folk.

Per the 16, hopefully I was clear enough but I might not have been, I will be making plenty of rolls for you. Perception will be the primary. Your 'pierce the veils' trait (though poor and untrained), might be a second, and sadly you have practically no knowledge skills beyond a little bit of nature (mainly for reading the weather), and first aid. Otherwise, a smattering of professional knowledge. All of these things I roll. However, you might ask me in OOC-spoilers to check something specific. If I already did it, I'll let you know and roll it off-camera and let you know the result.

Many other rolls are made by me ... Stealth (you are as stealthy as you believe yourself to be), various interaction rolls (Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, Disguise; but not Intimidate), and more general rolls that can't be meta'd. For example, you'd normally roll for basic Survival requests, but if there is a chance that you are wrong (such as getting lost, which is harder for you than most), than I roll it. In such cases that you get ahead of yourself and roll ... consider them "confidence checks" on how well you think you might have done while I still roll "behind the screen."

I assign two traits to each character. They are never chosen by the player.

Given your very long life at sea and the like. Life wasn't always kind to you, nor the people in it. You have found yourself in chains before, sometimes by pirates who eventually get defeated; sometimes because when something bad happens folk superstitiously blame you; maybe even sometimes the bullies you stand up against are good, but a little to hard-nosed. Whatever the case, you have dealt with this several times (mainly at sea), and the greatest time was when you were liberated after three years doing terrible work for a very powerful pirate crew (ship sunk, most crew believed dead). To that end, you have the Liberated trait. This gives you a +1 trait bonus to Fort saves, and you ignore the first point of NL damage you receive in any given hour. You are used to the drudgery of being little better than a slave, including getting kicked, beaten, and otherwise physically abused.

With that, you knew how to be a little canny for danger and when someone was in a foul mood. So, you have the Pierce the Veil trait, which gives you a +1 trait bonus to Sense Motive checks, which is meager considering you have no skill in it, but better than nothing.
EDIT: Great. See, during Spring Break I 'trained' myself to sleep during the day and stay awake at night. Tomorrow is school again, but I had twelve hours of sleep yesterday ending a little after 6 pm. After describing Shouting Tree, I now ... like, RIGHT now ... have to watch APOCALYPTO (which I have in my righteous movie library).

:smallsigh: First class is at 11:30 am, it's 4:10 am .... GO!

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 10:51 AM
"Underhill. Tom Underhill, sir. Off the Lost Merchant, out of Greyhawk..."

Tom shudders as he corrects himself.

"Well, I was... She's gone now. Pirates found us eight days ago. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one left... but thank you for taking me aboard, Captain." He looks around at the oddly empty ship. "If you're in need of another hand, I'm more than available..."

lostsole31
2013-03-18, 12:13 PM
"Wonderful!" says Captain Cohen. "My first mate and I finally have someone over which to be captain and first mate. I guess, if you prove yourself any type of seaman, you'll be our Boatswain."

If you read that correctly, this entire boat's complement is now three. This means that these two yahoos have somehow managed to pilot a ship that requires a total of seven persons to pilot well.

What was probably considered an inept captain has probably stepped a few places in the ledger.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 01:40 PM
"So just the two of you..."
Tom looks around at the ship again.
"Sir, I am impressed. But no doubt you will welcome my help... I can do anything you'd need from an able-bodied seaman and a little something extra, besides. I can cook a bit and heal some as well... I can shoot and do other angry things..." He momentarily tenses his muscles, (letting the fur on his back and the nape of his neck stand erect) extends his claws and smiles briefly, showing an impressive array of teeth. "...if more bad people show up. And I can do... tricks."
Tom turns towards the railing and gestures. A miniature cloud appears for a few moments before dispersing and falling into the sea as a brief shower of rain...

Cast Create Water as a demonstration

Tom tells the story of the Lost Merchant's end... "... and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who made it. There might have been a couple of prisoners, but if they're still alive I'll bet they really wish they weren't. Those people were bad. I think they were in it as much for the killing as for the loot. The Scarlet Brotherhood may be a bunch of a##%#$s, but at least they have some kind of standards... Speaking of which, it sounds like you also have an interesting story to tell..."

lostsole31
2013-03-18, 03:10 PM
"That I do, lad. That I do. But first, we eat."

Shouting Tree gets a few wooden bowls and spoons. He also gets a large wooden picture and wooden mugs. He has to go down to the galley to get a third set for you. Shouting Tree takes a wooden spoon from a pouch at his belt and taps your bowl while saying some foreign word. Gray-white gruel seems to pour out of the spoon until your bowl is filled. He does the same for himself and Captain Cohen. It does not look like it will be tasty, and the magic which powers the spoon is something with which you are not familiar.

"Now, if you'll allow me. You are my guest, after all."

Into the pitcher and the cups he casts create water.

"Usually, we don't stop to eat," says the captain, "but tonight we'll make an exception. See, we're trying to chase down a boat so I can rendezvous with them. You'll be allowed to sleep this night, but after that sleep prepare to sleep not at all as my magic will keep us awake as long as I can manage it."

He tells a story of how a two-ship expedition left Sasserine (a city on the north end of the Amedio Peninsula, well to the south of Greyhawk, and this is a warm climate, not temperate like home). The voyage was heading south for a colony called Farshore, located on the Isle of Dread. Despite its terrible sounding name, the colony is actually quite well protected by natural barriers and its own internal checks and balances of the food chain.

The master of the expedition is his patroness, Lady Lavinia Vanderboren. Her parents set up the colony years ago but contact was lost and her own parents were murdered by her brother. The rabbi-doctor witnessed Vanthus Vanderboren's treachery, and agrees with Lavinia that he is lost ... but he doesn't go into that part of the pre-expedition story without your prodding.

Except for a voidwraith, some type of semi-transparent ooze, and an assassination with the follow-up capture of the assassin, the two ships - the Blue Nixie (the larger caravel and Lady Lavinia's ship) and the Sea Wyvern (which until late was the ship Captain Cohen was on as the first mate) - fared quite well. That is, until they got to the ruins of Tamoachan. The name sends a tingle down your spine, but you can't connect that with any knowledge.

The windsinger of the Wyvern, one Urol Forol, had been promised at the outset by Lady Lavinia to be able to take about a day to explore the flora and fauna around that accursed place. Though Forol led the scientific aspect, your new captain was the first mate and responsible for the away team's safety. It only took an hour on an easy map to read to get to the ruins.

They got there, and several stone statues of persons or animals littered an entryway. Forol said that there was reputed to be a basilisk [which you know from stories is a creature whose gaze turns men to stone], but that he had stone salve in case there was any issue. [He explains that stone salve is a magical ointment to turn a recently petrified creature back to flesh.] The first rubble-blocked entryway they found was decoded, and it was learned that in the days of Tamoachan's prime, the lords would keep basilisks as pets. They would use a type of helmet and a pole to control them; a special hook would open the visor to turn trespassers to stone - to act as a warning to others.

No sooner did they read this than a basilisk burst out of another rubble-blocked entryway. A supposed son of a god was the first to be turned. Next was another god-blessed warrior, and now both warriors were gone, as well as a woman who was of infernal heritage and the ship's arcane master. Urol whimpered because he admitted only having two doses of the salve, but his whimper was cut short when he was petrified .... taking the salve with him.

There was not but himself and the priestess-sorceress Desiria. As the only arcane caster, but she also had divine healing like himself, she could not be lost. Until now, she had averted her gaze. Cohen told her to look away and to run, run as fast as she could back to the beach. Attempt no rescue, he told her, for the Wyvern (with the loss of the others) would be hard-pressed to be sailed with what was left ... and there were colonists for Farshore onboard. He last saw Desiria fleeing into the jungle. He dared stay behind not out of a sense of pride, but hoping that if he killed the basilisk he might find a way to restore the others. Surely, in keeping basilisks there were secrets inside to undo this pain.

It took a long time for this battle, for the captain admits he is no true warrior and the basilisk has a powerful bite. Several times he had to fly out to heal himself before recommiting himself to battle. He was finally victorious, however. Moradin had to be truly with him, however, because in trying to figure out his own heritage Cohen studied half-celestials. Half-celestials have no special defense against petrification, and several in the group were hardier folk than himself, but he only felt the slightest tingle of stiffness as if he weren't fighting off any effect at all. He's not sure if that was some temporary blessing or not.

He explored the interior, but he came across a will-o'-wisp that attacked all while Cohen was fleeing some bizarre monstrosity with various teeth, eyes, and a horrible sound. The corpse candle was too fast for him to attack so he had to flee, leave the temple, and heal for the night in a tree.

The next day, an ally from the Nixie came to help. The expedition had sailed on, but this 'feral gargun' [a creature from the north with which you are quite familiar] had promised his life to protect one of the petrified - a 'godson' of Hleid, the deity of the animals of the Frostfell. The gargun's name is Quicksilver, and he said he would spend the rest of his days there protecting and cherishing his god's son's statue until his death or the delivery of Korian Hleidson's flinty curse.

After the two of them vanquished the mouthing monster, Quicksilver and Cohen went into the temple. This time, the will-o'-wisp was more into talking and they struck a truce. The three - with Quicksilver's great power and claws - ripped through several magical iron walls to get into an inner chamber protected by an otherworld creature called a 'varrangoin'. They defeated the monster, and as expected the will-o'wisp turned on them, but this time it was dispatched quickly. A fantastic golden bat idol lay on an altar. Cohen sensed no evil and only minor magic, but it would fetch a fine price to be sure. He simply calls it the "Idol of the Bat".

The next morning, villagers came to see the heroes. Their shaman told them that the great curse and the evils of Tamoachan that fell across their lands was gone. Quicksilver would stay with the tribe and watch Korian's statue, as promised, but not having found any means of restoring the stoned, Cohen resolved to find a way to get back to the expedition. He would have flown, and maybe he'd find the safety of an isle and maybe not, but the village demanded he accept a life debt of one of there own. With Quicksilver as their new patron - himself a great hunter-warrior - Shouting Tree was as much given as he enthusiastically volunteered.

And so, the two set out in a dugout canoe - his people made such things for river travel - and it turns out that the savage was moderately capable on the water. He is beastmaster in his tribe, and was bonded with a water creature that despite local tongue Cohen recognized as a smaller elasmosaurus. [Feel free to look that term up on the PF site. However, like Cohen said, this was a smaller one.]

With Cohen's skill in navigation (which isn't that hard following a peninsula), the two made what meager time they could in a dugout canoe. They did not stop for rest, for Cohen would use liberal amounts of lesser restoration to keep them going. That is when they were attacked by the Dancer's Circlet, formerly of the Scarlet Brotherhood. They defeated them and set the survivors adrift on their launch .... and now had a caravel, a faster ship. Of course, a caravel requires a larger crew so it would take all of the new captain's skill, aided by his jungle friend, to do what they could without foundering.

They shot the gap through S. Olman Isle and the Peninsula when they were attacked by the The Dan, of the nearby Brotherhood fort who had effected this naval blockade. Once again, three vanquished ten; again, survivors set adrift in a launch. This time, The Dan was scuttled and set afire. From this battle, Cohen learned that they lost two of their ships a few nights ago, blasting through their blockade. Cohen is sure that it was his alies, and that has given him greater fire.

The next great danger they faced was a water monster of immense size. There is no doubt that they all would be killed and the ship lost, but Shouting Tree is able to speak to animals - and this was merely an immense animal and not some eldritch horror. He sacrificed his elasmosaurus to the creature to sate his hunger, and the Circlet was given safe passage.

Without a powerful underwater ally, Shouting Tree has been despondent. Still, Cohen was cheery and expected luck. And here he has it ... in the form of a div-derived tiefling [for it seems he is learned enough not to just know you're a tiefling, but also what strain ... which may be something you yourself may or may not know] who does not appear to be evil.

You will be given lesser restorations as needed, so that no one needs sleep or suffers fatigue from a hard day's work. There is no true rest. And after tomorrow, you will be in that possibly mind-numbing rut ... so enjoy your ability to dream tonight. But Cohen and Shouting Tree have to attend to the ship. Cohen figures that he is several days behind the expedition, but not more than a week.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 06:40 PM
"...so maybe one day we can find more of this salve and go back for your friends...
But there is one thing I can do before I turn in tonight. I'm sure you'd like to know what kind of weather we'll be having...
He pauses, waiting for a skeptical look...
"You'll just have to trust me on this. Clouds, winds, rain, cold... I just know that stuff. I always knew it... nobody had to teach me. They say my father's folk are clever that way. Some caravan would be enjoying a nice scenic shortcut through the mountains, and then, hey, there's suddenly a snowstorm or fog everywhere, and then... Wait. You don't want to hear about that. Anyways, I can tell you what the weather will be like for the next two days. That is, the weather right at this spot. We will be moving, of course..."

Tom fishes a piece of cloudy quartz crystal out of a pocket and then sits down on the deck. He massages it in one hand, frowning in obvious concentration. He sits there for several minutes, humming to himself. His tail switches back and forth like that of an agitated housecat, until he catches it in his other hand and begins absentmindedly kneading its tip... Finally he opens his eyes and hops back to his feet.

"Well, it looks like... clear skies and light winds. So... I guess that's no big surprise..."

Casting Read Weather (will edit results into post)
Daily plan is to cast it each evening (if resources are available).

I will also check if there are any extra crossbow bolts to be had...

lostsole31
2013-03-18, 08:59 PM
As your tail flicks about, it knocks over the pitcher and the cups, which spill into the bowls so that what remains from the meal is like oatmeal that has had plenty of water thrown on it. The pitcher tumbles several feet away.

But at least you know that the next two days in this area will be the same moderate winds and sunny skies.

As you give your prognostication, the Captain has his face in his chest, bent over as he is heaving and desperately trying - and failing - to keep from laughing. "That -hahaha- that - will be- hehehhoho- quite USEFUL! HAHAHAHAHA!"

Shouting Tree merely does a forehead facepalm.

A few minutes later, the 'kitchenware' is scrubbed down by Shouting Tree with the captain's create water a piece of pumice, and a little bit of some type of soap.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 09:25 PM
Tom tries to hold back a scowl. It won't be so funny next time there's a storm... he thinks to himself. But it just wouldn't do to be rude to the people who saved him from being shark food...

He excuses himself and looks for a bunk. There are obviously plenty to choose from... After the raft, the coarse mattress feels softer than a Sasserine courtesan's.... That is, it's very, very comfortable. Tom sighs as he drifts off to sleep... Well met, Madame Mattress. It's such a shame we will not be seeing each other again for a very long time...

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-20, 10:40 AM
Are you waiting for any other actions from me?

lostsole31
2013-03-21, 01:51 AM
Nope, sorry, busy couple of days for me as I came back from spring break ... having forgotten what school was all about. :smalltongue:
The next day, it is time to get to work. For these next two days, it is break and toil, mitigated by your create water, the captain's lesser restoration spells and Shouting Tree's spoon of plenty.

Goodmonth 14 (Freeday)

On the third day, there is a fabulous sight on the coastline. There is a deepwater bay at the mouth of the Atikula River. Where the river meets the sea is marked by a magnificent 900-foot-wide waterfall that cascades 200-feet over a cliff into the ocean below.

"This is where the expedition was going to fill up fresh water supplies," says the captain. "The bay is only wide enough for one ship at a time to get water, and it takes half a day to fill water stores for each ship. We're not stopping, so we just gained a day."

Two strange, ugly creatures with wings pop up out of the water. One of them yells in Common, "Go away! This is our home. Two more ships of your kind already killed the protector of these waters, stealing the treasures below!"
I'll let you roll your own Aid check for Knowledge: Nature. Shouting Tree's is rolled here (rare for me to do). You won't both get to aid, but you both get to see whose Aid is better because you have the same modifier.

Shouting Tree's Aid K:Nature [roll0]

EDIT: You'll probably do better. Every multiple of 10 after a DC 10 is an additional +1 to the Aid, so it's not "just make a DC 10" ... everyone likes a competent assistant.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-21, 10:51 AM
Knowledge: Nature [roll0]

lostsole31
2013-03-21, 01:20 PM
These are a type of monstrous humanoid, specifically a type of gargoyle, known as a kapoacinth. Unlike normal gargoyles, they cannot fly but their wings help them swim at tremendous speeds. They have tremendous weapon immunity that is just as easily overcome by magic. They are hardy, quick, and possess a variety of natural weaponry. This variety speaks Common, as you can see, but are also able to speak Aquan. Unless ropes trail down into the water, however, the only way they really are dangerous to a ship is if they take a high-speed swimming leap into the boat. They are not known for their climbing ability since they need to be better swimmers and climbing is useless underwater, so it's not likely than can really climb into the boat.
BTW, the writeup on PF on the kapoacinth gargoyle is a little screwed with Skill Focus [Fly] and a high Fly skill. All in all, it was badly transposed.

You provided a +3 with your Aid. Captain Cohen rolled a 20! With his +8 and your Aid that makes a result of 31. I'd say look at the PF writeup since you are both that knowledgeable on these creatures, but make logical conclusions as to what changes there would be. If push came to shove, any wrong assumptions would be simply because these gargoyles aren't catalogued quite as well.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-21, 09:04 PM
Tom speaks to the captain, keeping his voice low...
"This could be good news... if those were your two ships, we can't be far behind..." He glances over at the sea gargoyles. "...but I doubt these guys are going to sit around and let us interview them. I figure if we stay here much longer things are going to get very bitey and scratchy..."

lostsole31
2013-03-22, 01:42 AM
The captain nods to you and fishes out a couple of gold rings from his pocket and shows them high. "I have here two gold rings that we've taken from the fingers of Scarlet Brotherhood captains before we scuttled their ships. They are yours if you know the names of the ships that were here, and I estimate their value at 120 gp, give or take. And how long did they stay?"

The gargoyles nod enthusiastically. "We had our treasure stolen by those pirates! One was the Blue Nixie, and the other was the Sea Wyvern, and may all seafarers know the names of those ships that they may spit fire at them! They gloried in their triumph here for a day. A whole day spent polluting our waters."

"Well," says the captain to you, "there you have it. We have good sign."

He calls out, "We are in pursuit of those ships, and mean to hole at least one ship when we get there. You have kept your end, here are the rings."

He tosses the rings into the water in their general vicinity.

"Yes, yes! Catch them up!" cries one.

"Why stop at one ship when you can take two!!!" cries the secon

They both wish the blessings of Xerbo (and evil sea god) on you and the ship for your glorious mission of revenge against a mighty aquatic creature and for the theft of their treasures. They then dive out of sight after cheering gleefully, likely looking for their new trinkets.

Of course, what they don't realize is that the 'at least one ship' in question is the Dancer's Circlet itself.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-22, 07:52 PM
I don't have any more actions planned for this event.

lostsole31
2013-03-22, 10:52 PM
The downside of a linked game is the secondary one (this one) having to wait for the primary in some instances. So, I submit for your enjoyment ...

Savage Tide (IC) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182045&page=40)

This is mainly for you to follow to get a feel for things. As soon as they leave the area of the Atikula River mouth (where the Circlet is now), we'll forward a little.

lostsole31
2013-03-28, 05:25 PM
Aaaaannnnnd, still waiting for hemmers-and-hawwers to get an idea on what they want to trade for magic items from some of the loot they had earned previously. Admin .... sigh. At a table, admin stuff takes the longest - often a whole session. PbP, combat usually takes longer, but admin can still drag-assy.

Soooo, how are you?

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-28, 07:00 PM
All is well here. Long weekend coming up so I can post a bit if we get back in sync...

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-31, 11:03 PM
One note about the last post in the main thread... my character does not actually have scales. He's supposed to look pretty much like this (but less cartoonish and minus the knee spikes):

http://p0.storage.canalblog.com/01/52/119589/63031443.jpg

That's actually a picture of a Div from Persian mythology.
The dots on his body are supposed to be leopard spots.

lostsole31
2013-04-01, 03:23 AM
Meh. Agnipati's perception is intense, and only she could just make out what she saw ... not anything more than that in detail. We'll consider it as glinting in the sun or something. :)

lostsole31
2013-04-01, 06:15 PM
"Captain! Two ships anchored off of the island," calls Shouting Tree.

Captain Cohen takes his best look - he doesn't have a spyglass - and beams broadly. "Well, it looks like Lady Lavinia allowed everyone to take their time with shore leave. YES! That's definitely the expedition anchored off of S. Olman.

"We DID it lads! We did it!!!"

He gives renewed orders for what vigor can be had. After awhile it seems that the ships are coming out to meet. Captain Cohen gives the order to drop anchor (a clumsy affair with so small a crew) and to rig up the sails. He heads back up to the helm, obscured slightly by the extra rigging now stretching because of the tied off sails.

"Okay, lads. Wave to them! Let them know we see 'em and welcome us in! Shouting Tree, wave that spear high! Tom! Wave that impossible-to-miss, spotted white galumphing arm overhead! They'll know from you two that they're ain't much on this hulk but us three."
The assumption, of course, is that his reasoning is sound and you follow the captain's orders.

Obviously, you are reading both threads and are finding this funny vice annoying, as you have the dramatic irony advantage over them. :smalltongue:

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-01, 08:48 PM
Tom complies eagerly, jumping up and down and waving his cap in the air.

I GET TO SLEEP AGAIN! I GET TO SLEEP AGAIN!

Then suddenly a thought occurs to him...

"Uh, sir, shouldn't we take that red flag down?"

lostsole31
2013-04-01, 08:51 PM
He nods to Shouting Spear to loose the lanyard to strike the flag, but the line catches on this decrepit boat and the flag tears loose to hang free on the uppermost portion of the mast.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-02, 10:25 AM
"I'll get it!"

Tom steps to the base of the mainmast and concentrates for a moment. He then jumps straight up into the air... but instead of falling back to the deck he continues to float upward along the mast. When he reaches the flag he pulls out a dagger and begins to cut it free of the fouled lines...

Cast Levitate

lostsole31
2013-04-03, 02:53 AM
"Very well," says Captain Cohen. "I'll go into the stateroom to get the log. I chronicled my efforts there, and I'd rather not lose it as an afterthought. We will be burning this wreck to the waterline."

He goes into the stateroom.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-03, 10:41 AM
How much of the flag did I get cut away before combat started? Is it still stuck, and would I need several more rounds to get it free?

lostsole31
2013-04-03, 11:57 AM
Tom just cuts away the flag before the wind blows it in his face and he is wrapped in it like a blanket. He just manages to extricate himself when he hears the whoosh of fire and the hull of the ship pitch forward a little.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-03, 12:59 PM
Should I continue to post in this thread or switch to the other one?

lostsole31
2013-04-03, 04:29 PM
I forthwith proclaim this thread to be dead.

So mote it be! :smallsmile: