PDA

View Full Version : Three Handed Quarterstaff

Grytorm
2013-03-16, 02:25 AM
If you have three arms can you wield one side of a Quarterstaff as a two-handed weapon and the other as a second weapon for two handed fighting.

Crake
2013-03-16, 05:00 AM
no, for double weapons you can either wield them as a 2 handed weapon or as a double weapon. It doesn't matter how many hands you have, its how you swing the weapon.

Ashtagon
2013-03-16, 05:02 AM
The reason two-handed weapons are significantly better is that the two hands lets you gain leverage. There's no additional lever effect from holding it at a third point. That's not how levers work.

Jigokuro
2013-03-16, 05:02 AM
I'm not sure you can use either end of a quarter staff as a two handed weapon in any event, but if you can then I have an interesting point: changing handedness between one and two hands one as a non-action (even less restricted than a free action) so you could change from two-handing the primary end to two-handing the off end between attacks freely.
So IF you can use a quarterstaff as a 2HW with 3 arms, which IDK, then you can use both ends as 2HWs basically simultaneously.

Eurus
2013-03-16, 05:06 AM
The reason two-handed weapons are significantly better is that the two hands lets you gain leverage. There's no additional lever effect from holding it at a third point. That's not how levers work.

But it is how they apparently work in D&D, which I'm almost sure states somewhere (although I can't remember where) that each additional arm beyond the second adds half your strength modifier again to the damage. Your puny concepts of "leverage" and "physics" have no power here. :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2013-03-16, 05:39 AM
But it is how they apparently work in D&D, which I'm almost sure states somewhere (although I can't remember where) that each additional arm beyond the second adds half your strength modifier again to the damage. Your puny concepts of "leverage" and "physics" have no power here. :smalltongue:

[cite needed]

kardar233
2013-03-16, 05:50 AM
[cite needed]

Savage Species, p.42.

Eurus
2013-03-16, 05:53 AM
Hmm, yeah, only source I can find is Savage Species (which clarifies that the weapon must be specifically designed and balanced for many-handed use).

Which, to be fair, is the main place you'd expect to find a weird rule like wielding a weapon with three or more hands. Can't find any reference to it at all in anything newer, which is frustrating, since you'd think they'd at least address the subject in the Thri-Kreen entry or something.

Cieyrin
2013-03-16, 12:21 PM
Hmm, yeah, only source I can find is Savage Species (which clarifies that the weapon must be specifically designed and balanced for many-handed use).

Which, to be fair, is the main place you'd expect to find a weird rule like wielding a weapon with three or more hands. Can't find any reference to it at all in anything newer, which is frustrating, since you'd think they'd at least address the subject in the Thri-Kreen entry or something.

The only thing that approaches that is XPH Gythkas screw Thri-Kreens wielding 2 of them into using them as one-handed on all ends, instead of having them treated like normal double weapons where one end's one-handed and the other is light.

Diopsids do get TWF and THFing the same package but that's a racial ability, due to their 2 main arms and 2 secondary arms that support the main arm on its side of the body. Also have to take into account that it's technically 3rd Party, since it's a published Dragon stuff by Paizo, so YMMV. I still think they're neat, though.